2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give some advice on listing a failure to stop at a red light ticket?

I'm not worried about it hurting me or anything, I just don't remember any of the information (when, where, what) and I don't know how to fill out the charge and sentence. Do I even need to list this?

I would call/email the department of public safety in your state. I did this to confirm the type of violation "failure to stop at a red light" is in Texas after seeing on the internet that it was a misdemeanor. Fortunately, they told me "It would be a minor traffic offense and would not be submitted to the criminal history file."

Therefore this is not on my AMCAS. So, if you are from TX, then no need to worry.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I'm going to be an incoming MS1 at MCW in a month's time ... Just coming off the application cycle, I'd be more than happy to answer questions from current applicants as best I can. I'll try and check the thread every once in a while, but feel free to PM me as well.

Good luck!

what's good about MCW? someone sell me.
The clinical rotations were pretty awesome.

Children's Hospital is one of the best in the country.

Froedtert is a large academic university hospital, Level 1 trauma center, subspecialty everything, physically attached to MCW, lots of large residency programs, good mix of patients.

The VA is always a good thing to have, just because you'll probably be allowed to do more there than anywhere else, and it's like 10 minutes from MCW.

St. Mary's and St. Luke's are great community hospitals within the county, and St. Luke's is a monstrous hospital that's the utter flagship of Aurora Health Care. I've seen probably 30 ICUs in my day, and none of them are nicer than St. Luke's (except at Children's - but they spare no expense for kids ;)).

Waukesha and Community Memorial hospitals are both great as well. It was my rotation at WMH that convinced me to do general surgery. They're some of the most talented surgeons I've seen yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would love to go to MCW because of their integrated clinical and case based learning structure. Im all about application of the sciences towards practice, and Ive been itching all undergrad to get some real exposure. This medical program lets me get that in the first year!
Completely unnecessary, IMO. Right now, the M3s seem unbelievably wet behind the ears!

To any MC Wisconsin medical students:

1. What types of ECs best prepared you for your experience here? And yes, everyone has unique experiences/hobbies, but I am more curious whether this school may value research or patient interaction skills or maybe an equal mixture of both.

2. Any tips for an interview here (from personal experience, I guess)? Thanks!

anyone else having problems with the LORs? My letters were completed with my primary and MCW still hasn't received them :(

I'm in the same boat--everything except the letters, which were in to AMCAS a week ago and received at some of my other schools...

Completely unnecessary, IMO. Right now, the M3s seem unbelievably wet behind the ears!

Just give us a few days and we'll figure it out (eventually) ;).

I'm not sure how much exposure you guys had back when you did M1/M2 years Prowler, but I think we get a little more now. The pathways program was partially designed to help out in this area. There could always be more exposure, but I think it's getting better.

Just give us a few days and we'll figure it out (eventually) ;).

I'm not sure how much exposure you guys had back when you did M1/M2 years Prowler, but I think we get a little more now. The pathways program was partially designed to help out in this area. There could always be more exposure, but I think it's getting better.
I don't think more exposure is necessary. You have to walk before you run, and let's be honest, the M1s can't "walk."

Most M1/M2 clinical exposure everywhere is a pat yourself on the back kind of thing that makes you feel like you're really doing something, IMO. Don't worry though, because I thought M3 rotations at MCW were excellent.

I don't think more exposure is necessary. You have to walk before you run, and let's be honest, the M1s can't "walk."

Most M1/M2 clinical exposure everywhere is a pat yourself on the back kind of thing that makes you feel like you're really doing something, IMO. Don't worry though, because I thought M3 rotations at MCW were excellent.

Agreed. I think that we have enough information after M2 year to be at least competent on the wards. I don't think anyone is ever really prepared for that first day out there when people actually expect you to know just about everything and do everything perfectly. But it does come to you in time. I'm looking forward to getting deeper into 3rd year and getting a lot more experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
To any MC Wisconsin medical students:

1. What types of ECs best prepared you for your experience here? And yes, everyone has unique experiences/hobbies, but I am more curious whether this school may value research or patient interaction skills or maybe an equal mixture of both.

I honestly didn't feel there was a push or emphasis on any particular type of experience during either of my interviews ... in both cases, I really had the opportunity to highlight what I felt were the strongest parts of my application. Just be sure you know what you're strongest activities are, and be able to discuss them

2. Any tips for an interview here (from personal experience, I guess)? Thanks!

You, as the interviewee, really set the tone for the interview .. If you're enthusiastic and confident, it'll really translate and make the whole process that much more enjoyable. If you're only going to answer the exact question asked and then wait quietly, it's going to be like pulling teeth. Find something in common with your interviewer and try and steer the conversation to something you enjoy talking about. E.g. After finding out my interviewer was interviewing at UCSF next week, we spent ten minutes discussing public transportation in the city and the best places to visit (Ghiradelli Square .. go!!)

Good luck!

hi!
How come this is listed in my secondary?

"You cannot submit your Secondary Application until 08-20-2011."

Is it b/c I am a CA resident?

thanks!

hi!

thanks!

mmm i'm OOS and I didnt have that restriction. are you taking the mcat this month?

hi!

thanks!

That's the University of Wisconsin secondary, not the Medical College of Wisconsin one. The UW secondary says that for everyone.

does anyone have their letters reflected in the secondary?

Hey, I just checked last year's thread. It looks like the first small-pool email went out 8/4 and the first interview invite went out 8/23 (at least the first reported on SDN).

Hey Guys, quick personal q about the life activities section. I was wondering when they say sport, do they only mean organized sports like teams? I'm in a Triathlon team on campus and I know that counts, but also I run the Chicago Marathon every year. I want to run 10 in a row, just something I started after my first one. It requires early training and dedication, but it certainly doesn't fit neatly into the form.

Be blunt as you like, appreciate all the opinions everyone gives!

Thanks,

Hey Guys, quick personal q about the life activities section. I was wondering when they say sport, do they only mean organized sports like teams? I'm in a Triathlon team on campus and I know that counts, but also I run the Chicago Marathon every year. I want to run 10 in a row, just something I started after my first one. It requires early training and dedication, but it certainly doesn't fit neatly into the form.

Be blunt as you like, appreciate all the opinions everyone gives!

Thanks,

Did you post this question the the correct forum? I didn't have a 'life activities' section.

Did you post this question the the correct forum? I didn't have a 'life activities' section.

Pretty sure this is another person who meant to post this in the University of WI thread. The UW app has a Life Activities section.

Hey, I just checked last year's thread. It looks like the first small-pool email went out 8/4 and the first interview invite went out 8/23 (at least the first reported on SDN).

guess they take their times reading apps

How long does it take for WI residency to be verified? Gosh its been a week!!!!

Is the app not complete until residency is verified? For some reason I thought you didn't have to have this verified until December or something. Mrrph, more waiting...

How long does it take for WI residency to be verified? Gosh its been a week!!!!

Is the app not complete until residency is verified? For some reason I thought you didn't have to have this verified until December or something. Mrrph, more waiting...

No, I have a letter writer that's being a Blank and hasn't uploaded my letter even though it's been over 2 months. So I think that's why it's not complete but there is still a big red X over Wisconsin residency

My residency took a couple weeks to verify, but I was complete well before that.

Oh Happy day! My letter writer finally uploaded the letter to amcas so now I can be complete. Anyone know if I have to tell them that it's there or do they automatically update the system.

Oh Happy day! My letter writer finally uploaded the letter to amcas so now I can be complete. Anyone know if I have to tell them that it's there or do they automatically update the system.

They automatically update them!

Are they sending out secondaries? I have been verified for 10 days now and still no signs!

Secondary is emailed to all who have their minimum requirements of ps 7 vr 7 and BS 8

Complete!!!!
The fate of my application will be decided as it should be, in MORTAL KOMBAT

okay, so against the odds, i did receive the secondary about 30 minutes ago and i am eager to finish it as well. granted there areno prompts, i might finish it by tonight. also, how long does it take for them to acknowledge that they have received recommendation letters?

okay, so against the odds, i did receive the secondary about 30 minutes ago and i am eager to finish it as well. granted there areno prompts, i might finish it by tonight. also, how long does it take for them to acknowledge that they have received recommendation letters?

If you already have them marked as received on AMCAS then you should see them marked received within 48hrs. For me, I submitted at 1pm CST and they were loaded the next day.

Hello, I'm an incoming M1 in the class of 2015.

Just thought i'd share some tidbits.

Interviews are conducted on Fridays about 2 times a month. MCW provides a shuttle the day before the interview in the evening to the medical campus where there will be current students for a meet & greet with pizza available. If you are participating in the student host program (which I did) then you will be picked up there. Your host will provide you with transportation to the school in the morning by 11am which is when the day starts (allows you to sleep in). The interview day has a LOT of interviewees there (roughly 60), however you will be impressed by how well organized it is. You will have two interviews, 1 with a faculty member (I had a physician) and another with a student for 30 mins each. The interviews have a reputation for being laid back (mine were) but of course not every interview is the same. The school also provides transport back to the airport for a minimal fee (I think 10 bucks) on the interview day. Overall MCW makes transportation VERY easy.

If you are granted interview you have a good chance of being accepted. MCW is not a school which interviews a lot of people and then only accepts 20% of them. Based on http://www.medicalschoolsinusa.com/Medical_College_of_Wisconsin.html MCW accepts a little over 60% of the people it interviews which is great. In addition, the school will review your file on the Thursday following your Friday interview and will send out admission packets the next day. In my case I was notified via email that I was accepted on Thursday which meant I only waited 6 days to find out (compare that to other schools like NYMC which can make you wait 12-15 weeks).

However, your curriculum will be completely different from ours. You will be part of the first complete class which will use the new integrated curriculum. This curriculum was piloted by the class before us (the current M2s) by about 20 students. They will be using the next year to make appropriate changes in response to student feedback. So while you will be apart of a new curriculum, it has been tested out and so you won't be the true "guinea pigs".

MCW typically puts people in a "small pool" after a favorable review and then extends interview offers from people in that pool. You can be sitting in the pool for a long time. In my case I was small pooled on 8/23 and was ultimately granted an interview (my first of the season BTW) on 1/17 which I scheduled for 2/18. In other words just because you dont hear anything from MCW for months doesnt mean you are necessarily out of it.

If I can remember anything else to add ill post it later.

Hello, I'm an incoming M1 in the class of 2015.

Just thought i'd share some tidbits.

Interviews are conducted on Fridays about 2 times a month. MCW provides a shuttle the day before the interview in the evening to the medical campus where there will be current students for a meet & greet with pizza available. If you are participating in the student host program (which I did) then you will be picked up there. Your host will provide you with transportation to the school in the morning by 11am which is when the day starts (allows you to sleep in). The interview day has a LOT of interviewees there (roughly 60), however you will be impressed by how well organized it is. You will have two interviews, 1 with a faculty member (I had a physician) and another with a student for 30 mins each. The interviews have a reputation for being laid back (mine were) but of course not every interview is the same. The school also provides transport back to the airport for a minimal fee (I think 10 bucks) on the interview day. Overall MCW makes transportation VERY easy.

If you are granted interview you have a good chance of being accepted. MCW is not a school which interviews a lot of people and then only accepts 20% of them. Based on http://www.medicalschoolsinusa.com/Medical_College_of_Wisconsin.html MCW accepts a little over 60% of the people it interviews which is great. In addition, the school will review your file on the Thursday following your Friday interview and will send out admission packets the next day. In my case I was notified via email that I was accepted on Thursday which meant I only waited 6 days to find out (compare that to other schools like NYMC which can make you wait 12-15 weeks).

However, your curriculum will be completely different from ours. You will be part of the first complete class which will use the new integrated curriculum. This curriculum was piloted by the class before us (the current M2s) by about 20 students. They will be using the next year to make appropriate changes in response to student feedback. So while you will be apart of a new curriculum, it has been tested out and so you won't be the true "guinea pigs".

MCW typically puts people in a "small pool" after a favorable review and then extends interview offers from people in that pool. You can be sitting in the pool for a long time. In my case I was small pooled on 8/23 and was ultimately granted an interview (my first of the season BTW) on 1/17 which I scheduled for 2/18. In other words just because you dont hear anything from MCW for months doesnt mean you are necessarily out of it.

If I can remember anything else to add ill post it later.

Great Stuff! Thanks!

Does anyone know how long it took from the time your letters were available in AMCAS until they showed as received in the MCW status page? That's all I'm waiting for to be complete...

Hey guys, I just got a delayed admission offer from the 2011 cycle, so I will be matriculating with some of you in 2012! I am ecstatic about going to MCW and I can't wait for this next year to go by.

I called yesterday to check on my letters (my deadline to have them in is August 1 and I was getting antsy). The lady I talked to was super helpful; picked up the phone on the second ring, stayed on until everything was sorted out. The mythical awesomeness of MCW Admissions lives on!

Apparently my letters had not automatically fallen to their work queue; she had to go out to AMCAS to pull them down. Twenty minutes later - complete!

I called yesterday to check on my letters (my deadline to have them in is August 1 and I was getting antsy). The lady I talked to was super helpful; picked up the phone on the second ring, stayed on until everything was sorted out. The mythical awesomeness of MCW Admissions lives on!

Apparently my letters had not automatically fallen to their work queue; she had to go out to AMCAS to pull them down. Twenty minutes later - complete!

I called 2 days ago to check on my app and the same thing had happened with my letters and AMCAS! I agree though, whoever answered the phone was really helpful. It's a little scary to think that if I hadn't my letters might be still floating around in the abyss...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.