2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear future and prospective Badgers,

It is a source of great sorrow to the UW community that Dr. Paul Bertics passed away yesterday, and our thoughts during this holiday season are with his family and his many friends. While most of you whom had the great fortune to interact with Dr. Bertics did so in his capacity as chairman of the medical school admissions committee, he will be remembered as a great teacher, mentor, scientist, and above all, a wonderful person. One of Dr. Bertics' passions was to be involved in admissions in an effort to maintain the future of UW as one of the greatest medical schools in the country. He was very excited about the incoming class of 2016, and I am sure Dr. Hansen and the other faculty and student members of the admissions committee are focused on maintaining his legacy in the selection of yet another amazing class!

Members don't see this ad.

I was excited to receive my invite today. However, what Drizzt wrote makes me sad. The man was exemplary of why I was so excited about Wisconsin. It's a friendly and supportive school that offers top notch clinical training and research opportunities. Dr. Bertics personified this. I'm at a loss. RIP Dr. Bertics. Did he look at all applications? I can only imagine how those who actually knew him are feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never posted on this side before maybe because I had not so good MCAT scores (25O). I just applied to 3 schools to see how it goes and was prepared to take the MCAT again next year. It seems to be going better than I expected because I now have upcoming interviews with all 3 schools. Have an interview with Madison on jan 13. am so excited!!!

I do have a very good GPA (3.9 overal) and good clinical experience too. So i think its all about looking for your good points and selling on those areas as much as you can.

Congrats to those of you who have already been acepted, and hope I can get some interview tips from you guys'

Last edited:
Any December 6th interviewees hear back yet?

Anyone complete in mid-November and heard anything back yet?

any post interview updates for anyone? any acceptances waitlists extended reviews etc?? have not seen much action on here for some time. Interviewed dec 6th and getting antzy in the pantzy. :scared:

Last edited:
any post interview updates for anyone? any acceptances waitlists extended reviews etc?? have not seen much action on here for some time. Interviewed dec 6th and getting antzy in the pantzy. :scared:
I interviewed Dec 6th as well and haven't heard anything yet. I don't think there is reason to worry though. It's been only 4 weeks and much of it was in the holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received this yesterday... is this even a pre-interview hold? It isn't outright rejection, which is nice.

Dear Applicant,

Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. At this time, we are still in the process of determining which applicants we will invite for our remaining interview dates. It may be a couple of weeks before you receive further information.

We appreciate your patience. We are not able to accept any updates to your application during this time. We will contact you as soon as the Committee has reached a decision.

Sincerely

This is my state school, I've lived in Madison for over 3 yrs, though they won't consider me a resident for admission purposes till next year (jumping through the hoops to get a pending resident status delayed confirmation of my app till late november... I wish I had avoided that somehow). Nontrad science teacher, MCAT 31 (35 expired), 3.0 ugpa, 4+ yrs research, uw alum (MS). If I don't get in this year, I'm definitely applying early decision next year, because this message makes me think it was the timing/the residency status that hurt me most.

Good luck everyone still waiting.

I just received this yesterday... is this even a pre-interview hold? It isn't outright rejection, which is nice.

Dear Applicant,

Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. At this time, we are still in the process of determining which applicants we will invite for our remaining interview dates. It may be a couple of weeks before you receive further information.

We appreciate your patience. We are not able to accept any updates to your application during this time. We will contact you as soon as the Committee has reached a decision.

Sincerely

This is my state school, I've lived in Madison for over 3 yrs, though they won't consider me a resident for admission purposes till next year (jumping through the hoops to get a pending resident status delayed confirmation of my app till late november... I wish I had avoided that somehow). Nontrad science teacher, MCAT 31 (35 expired), 3.0 ugpa, 4+ yrs research, uw alum (MS). If I don't get in this year, I'm definitely applying early decision next year, because this message makes me think it was the timing/the residency status that hurt me most.

Got the same email yesterday. It was my second hold-email from UW. I'm curious to know what this means as well, however it sounds like we'll hear something in a couple of weeks. Best of luck!

I got the same email. My stats and story are in mdapps. I was complete earlier than you, and I'm a WI resident and UW alum, so I wouldn't assume the lateness/residency issues are solely why you received the email. I received a pre interview hold awhile ago, as well.

Dear Applicant,

Sincerely

Last edited:
Ditto. Received the earlier hold update, and the recent one...I think it's kind of strange...anyone from previous cycles know what this means for us?

Ditto. Received the earlier hold update, and the recent one...I think it's kind of strange...anyone from previous cycles know what this means for us?

I have not had an interview. Also did not receive the email.

Today marks my 6th week being on Extended Review. I'm interested in knowing what UW's interpretation of "several" weeks is...

Interviewed back in September. I really appreciate the promptness with which UW has chosen to notify students...

Yeah it's crazy, it's almost like the person in charge of admissions died or something...

Give us a break, Dr. Bertics' memorial service was yesterday and we just came back in session on Monday; rest assured that the admissions staff are back to work reviewing and making decisions on apps.

Yeah it's crazy, it's almost like the person in charge of admissions died or something...

Give us a break, Dr. Bertics' memorial service was yesterday and we just came back in session on Monday; rest assured that the admissions staff are back to work reviewing and making decisions on apps.
Valid point. However, if you look at the comment from Diggidy's perspective, he/she was on extended review for 6 weeks prior to Dr. Bertics passing. Now, the total time Diggidy has spent in anxious anticipation for a decision has been almost 16 weeks. Calm down and don't blast a person because they are venting some frustration for being dragged along for such significant length of time.

I interviewed at UWSMPH this past Friday and fell in lovvvvvvvvve....

Does anybody know the chances an OOS candidate who has interviewed to be accepted?

Historically about 35% of OOS are accepted.

In case any OOS students are interested in numbers and chances, these are numbers that I got directly from the Director of Admissions at UWSMPH for last year's admissions cycle.

3,225 OOS students applied
2,402 OOS students completed their application
135 OOS students interviewed
104 OOS students accepted
37 OOS students enrolled

--> If you are OOS and you interviewed, your chances of being accepted are about 77% :) She said though that this year, they are most likely going to offer about 145 OOS interviews, so it might look more like 72% but HEY, either way, the chances look good!

Keeping our fingers crossed!! :)

I wonder if that includes the waitlist, I remember the rate being substantially lower than IS.

Interviewed 12/16, got the WARM rejection yesterday. I'm pretty crushed.

In case any OOS students are interested in numbers and chances, these are numbers that I got directly from the Director of Admissions at UWSMPH for last year's admissions cycle.

3,225 OOS students applied
2,402 OOS students completed their application
135 OOS students interviewed
104 OOS students accepted
37 OOS students enrolled

--> If you are OOS and you interviewed, your chances of being accepted are about 77% :) She said though that this year, they are most likely going to offer about 145 OOS interviews, so it might look more like 72% but HEY, either way, the chances look good!

Keeping our fingers crossed!! :)

Wow! :xf: :luck:

I was just told that I got wait listed today after being on extended review since november 8th. (the definition of several seems to go up to 10 or 11) I'm pretty disappointed but I'm hoping I can get off the wait list eventually. I'm in state with a 36 and 3.7 and pretty good ECs. I think this whole process is really hit or miss. I got accepted to Iowa OOS and med college of wisconsin. I interviewed at wash u in december. I'm really glad to have other acceptances but its still hard to get dragged along in this process forever with no love from my in state school.

I was just told that I got wait listed today after being on extended review since november 8th. (the definition of several seems to go up to 10 or 11) I'm pretty disappointed but I'm hoping I can get off the wait list eventually. I'm in state with a 36 and 3.7 and pretty good ECs. I think this whole process is really hit or miss. I got accepted to Iowa OOS and med college of wisconsin. I interviewed at wash u in december. I'm really glad to have other acceptances but its still hard to get dragged along in this process forever with no love from my in state school.

There are worse places than the waitlist. I'm assuming you were notified via snail mail?

Actually, I called the admissions office and the lady working told me that my letter was about to be sent - I asked her if she could tell me what the decision on my application was and she said wait list, and that I would get the details in my letter.

Just recently received an interview offer. Does anyone have recommendations for cheap hotels nearby?

Sorry to hear this. Congrats on the other acceptances!

Just recently received an interview offer. Does anyone have recommendations for cheap hotels nearby?

I stayed at the Best Western on University Ave. It's just down the street from the med school.

Just got the email an hour ago! I got an invite to interview on Feb 10. Completed 9/23. OOS, 33M, 3.7 GPA. Lots of EC's.

I stayed at the Best Western on University Ave. It's just down the street from the med school.
Yea, I got basic information and link that routed me to a generic "Visiting Madison" website. In the email they encouraged me to bring my own water bottle due to the recent H1N1 outbreak on their campus..yikes. I considered Best Western but it is pretty expensive (i guess it is the price for convenience). I thought about the student host program but it just seems awkward for me, staying at some random person's house. Right now i'm looking through my phonebook trying to find anyone that i know in Madison.

My other alternative is to drive early in the morning (i.e 4 hour drive from Murderapolis), do the deed and drive back on the same day. :)

Yea, I got basic information and link that routed me to a generic "Visiting Madison" website. In the email they encouraged me to bring my own water bottle due to the recent H1N1 outbreak on their campus..yikes. I considered Best Western but it is pretty expensive (i guess it is the price for convenience). I thought about the student host program but it just seems awkward for me, staying at some random person's house. Right now i'm looking through my phonebook trying to find anyone that i know in Madison.

My other alternative is to drive early in the morning (i.e 4 hour drive from Murderapolis), do the deed and drive back on the same day. :)

Wait, I thought Minneapolis was safe? now, Bodymore Murderland makes sense, but Murderapolis?

haha. Bodymore, Murderland. I had not heard that before. I was just being overdramatic, Minneapolis is nothing like Baltimore, it is a great city. You should visit!

Here's the link to the UW SMPH Class of 2016 FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/286530858049738/

I'll try to post this link every 2-3 pages on this thread.

PS: So, we were up in Madison this past Friday getting my daughter's Kindergarten readiness assessment completed and I just want to say that the snow was insane! Be sure to dress extra warm if you have an interview coming up and are not from the area. Give yourself plenty of extra time for travel and parking.

Good luck to everyone still left in the game! :luck:

here are the upcoming dates, check the attachment

Attachments

• madison interview dates.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 107
Just got an interview invite. IS, stats in MDApps. Was previously put on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.