2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview Invite after being on pre-interview hold as well!! SO EXCITED!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

extended review. fml. probably because i'm OOS with strong but not-the-strongest numbers.

so much for my interviewer saying "i look forward to mentoring you next year.

i really, really don't want to go to my own crappy home state school. :(

Try to keep in mind - at least you've been accepted. There are probably people who would give an arm to be allowed to attend that "crappy home state school." As my mentor said, there are no "bad" medical schools in the United States. There are good schools, and there are great schools, but none of them are terrible schools.

just got an invite after being on pre-interview hold. don't lose hope!!!!

Interview Invite after being on pre-interview hold as well!! SO EXCITED!!! :D

Congrats and good luck at your interviews!

Try to keep in mind - at least you've been accepted. There are probably people who would give an arm to be allowed to attend that "crappy home state school." As my mentor said, there are no "bad" medical schools in the United States. There are good schools, and there are great schools, but none of them are terrible schools.

Haha-So true! Nonetheless, goodluck lockian! I had lower numbers and I have been accepted, so I don't think they focus on that as much...

Members don't see this ad :)
extended review. fml. probably because i'm OOS with strong but not-the-strongest numbers.

so much for my interviewer saying "i look forward to mentoring you next year.

i really, really don't want to go to my own crappy home state school. :(

I'm sure it will all work out for you. Hey, I'm OOS with very strong numbers and great experiences and I got rejected pre-interview.

Just when I was about to abandon all hope, I get an interview invite from UW (after being placed on pre-interview hold for ~ 1 month). Of course, I'm excited, but problem is, the interview date they gave me is the day after another interview in MI (in late Jan 2012). I've already confirmed the MI interview and don't want to change it (it arrived one day before the UW interview invite).

I want to attend the UW pre-interview social, but, of course, it's scheduled for the evening of my MI interview date. Now I'm conflicted because I don't want to postpone my UW interview for fear of interviewing too late and possibly lowering my chances of acceptance (due to rolling admissions) AND it would save me some money to attend the interviews back to back instead of making two separate trips (I'm OOS from the west coast).

Do I risk a later interview with UW and attend the social but risk lowering chance of acceptance?

Or

Do I attend the interviews back to back and miss the social but save money?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, is it pretty standard for schools to initially offer you the earliest date they have? Should I ask UW for an earlier interview date (than the late Jan date)?
Um, you're talking about trying to go between two locations in less that 24 hours in the middle of winter. Locations that are known for severe winter storms. Not a good plan at all - one canceled flight and you will be screwed! Call up admissions and tell them you need to move the UW interview to a different date due to a prior commitment.

Um, you're talking about trying to go between two locations in less that 24 hours in the middle of winter. Locations that are known for severe winter storms. Not a good plan at all - one canceled flight and you will be screwed! Call up admissions and tell them you need to move the UW interview to a different date due to a prior commitment.

I think to be absolutely safe, this is good advice. That being said, if flights are being canceled due to weather, it's a lot more likely to happen if you're flying through Chicago, and it's probably more likely an inbound flight would be canceled than Madison-Detroit, probably, i've flown in some pretty bad weather, MI doesn't get that much snow, WI can get some but a true storm that cancels flights is rather rare in msn, dtw, or msp. (unlike at ohare)

The pre-interview social isn't a big deal, I wouldn't go out of your way to go to it, it won't affect your chances of acceptance one way or another. Itll be a couple current atudents, a lot of applicants, and some snacks. Most of the students who do it are m1s with some occasional second years, who will tell you about our superb pre-clinical curriculum, but for the most part, can't speak to the things that make UW unique (statewide campus in year 3, our free board review classes, how clerkships work, etc). That's simply bc most 3rd/4th year students are rather busy. If you have questions about these things, post them here or PM me, once I finish step 2 next week I'm going to try to put together a FAQ about our school for you guys.

You can't get to Madison by 7 from mi tho? How late does your other interview go?

late II after pre-interview hold! so excited to visit my bro who's in the B school at Madison. OOS

By the way, I just called UW Admissions and I was originally scheduled for a Jan 27 interview, and they moved me up to Jan 13 b/c I'm interviewing in Chicago the day before. She said they had slots available on the 13th and 20th as well :) She also said that it was a good thing I called today because after today, those slots would have been booked.

Good luck!

First post here and doing it on a mobile phone so I apologize if it doesn't turn out right...

Secondary completed 11/10, interview invitation came today for 1/20/12! See some of you in january!

I think to be absolutely safe, this is good advice. That being said, if flights are being canceled due to weather, it's a lot more likely to happen if you're flying through Chicago, and it's probably more likely an inbound flight would be canceled than Madison-Detroit, probably, i've flown in some pretty bad weather, MI doesn't get that much snow, WI can get some but a true storm that cancels flights is rather rare in msn, dtw, or msp. (unlike at ohare)

The pre-interview social isn't a big deal, I wouldn't go out of your way to go to it, it won't affect your chances of acceptance one way or another. Itll be a couple current atudents, a lot of applicants, and some snacks. Most of the students who do it are m1s with some occasional second years, who will tell you about our superb pre-clinical curriculum, but for the most part, can't speak to the things that make UW unique (statewide campus in year 3, our free board review classes, how clerkships work, etc). That's simply bc most 3rd/4th year students are rather busy. If you have questions about these things, post them here or PM me, once I finish step 2 next week I'm going to try to put together a FAQ about our school for you guys.

You can't get to Madison by 7 from mi tho? How late does your other interview go?

In what way does MI not get much snow? You see, there's this little thing called Lake Effect snow, and having grown up in Michigan, I can tell you that we got a lot of it. Also, it is a six-hour drive from the closest med chool in Michigan to Madison, WI. In winter, that's maybe 7-8 hours if you're lucky. chances are, your MI interview will span from 8am to between 2-4:30pm. There's no way he/she's getting there by 7pm.

Just when I was about to abandon all hope, I get an interview invite from UW (after being placed on pre-interview hold for ~ 1 month). Of course, I'm excited, but problem is, the interview date they gave me is the day after another interview in MI (in late Jan 2012). I've already confirmed the MI interview and don't want to change it (it arrived one day before the UW interview invite).

I want to attend the UW pre-interview social, but, of course, it's scheduled for the evening of my MI interview date. Now I'm conflicted because I don't want to postpone my UW interview for fear of interviewing too late and possibly lowering my chances of acceptance (due to rolling admissions) AND it would save me some money to attend the interviews back to back instead of making two separate trips (I'm OOS from the west coast).

Do I risk a later interview with UW and attend the social but risk lowering chance of acceptance?

Or

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, is it pretty standard for schools to initially offer you the earliest date they have? Should I ask UW for an earlier interview date (than the late Jan date)?

You could do it if there are no flight delays, but you'd have to miss the social and just get in pretty late. That's probably what I'd do in your situation, but the airfare would be an issue for me, and maybe it isn't for you. If it isn't, I'd just reschedule for a later date; most schools have filled up the dates leading up to your interview date. It usually won't hurt you that much, since we aren't talking about a March or April interview here...

Or

I wouldn't be terribly worried about missing the social if that's what it comes to for you. For mine, it was basically a handful of the applicants sitting around a table with 5 M1/M2s who just described student life at the school and took questions. It was nice to go to, but I don't think it really helps with the interview at all other than maybe helping you to relax, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to ask any questions you might have during your interview day itself, especially during the small group discussion with med students.

In what way does MI not get much snow? You see, there's this little thing called Lake Effect snow, and having grown up in Michigan, I can tell you that we got a lot of it. Also, it is a six-hour drive from the closest med chool in Michigan to Madison, WI. In winter, that's maybe 7-8 hours if you're lucky. chances are, your MI interview will span from 8am to between 2-4:30pm. There's no way he/she's getting there by 7pm.

It depends where the interview is and when it ends. If its wayne state or UM or oakland(is that open?) there are direct flights from dtw to msn. All my classmates from MI says it snows more in Madison than in MI <shrug>.

You could do it if there are no flight delays, but you'd have to miss the social and just get in pretty late. That's probably what I'd do in your situation, but the airfare would be an issue for me, and maybe it isn't for you. If it isn't, I'd just reschedule for a later date; most schools have filled up the dates leading up to your interview date. It usually won't hurt you that much, since we aren't talking about a March or April interview here...

Members don't see this ad :)
have there many rejections after interviews? I haven't really seen any on here yet....

interviewing in ~3 weeks. I'm really excited! obviously nervous as hell though

First post here and doing it on a mobile phone so I apologize if it doesn't turn out right...

Secondary completed 11/10, interview invitation came today for 1/20/12! See some of you in january!

Jealous. Complete mid October, haven't heard anything back yet.

to those who have interviewed:

do the med students in the panel ask specific questions like "what are your views on universal healthcare" or is it more casual? or a blend of the two?

Last edited:

do the med students in the panel ask specific questions like "what are your views on universal healthcare" or is it more casual? or a blend of the two?

Totally casual. In my interview they asked a lot of "get to know you" questions and gave us plenty of time to ask about their experiences. Don't stress about it!

Just be yourself. It's very very very uncommon for med students to negatively comment on applicants, and usually when that happens, the applicant is a huge dbag and says something completely inappropriate.

have there many rejections after interviews? I haven't really seen any on here yet....

interviewing in ~3 weeks. I'm really excited! obviously nervous as hell though

I am wondering this too. What percentage of those interviewed are ultimately accepted?

thanks alohomora and drizzt3117! i'll try to keep the douchery to a minimum

Do you guys know if it is possible to get cheap transportation (like a train or something) that goes from Chicago to Madison? I found super duper cheap airline tickets to Chicago and I am trying to do that rather than fly into Madison.

Thanks.

Do you guys know if it is possible to get cheap transportation (like a train or something) that goes from Chicago to Madison? I found super duper cheap airline tickets to Chicago and I am trying to do that rather than fly into Madison.

Thanks.

The MegaBus (us.megabus.com) takes 3-4 hours, drops off right on the UW-Madison campus and costs $5-$30 dollars as long as you book it at least a couple weeks in advance (usually cheaper when avoiding Fridays/Sundays)

I think there is are Amtrak routes into Wisconsin (Milwaukee, for sure), but I'm not sure on Madison

The MegaBus (us.megabus.com) takes 3-4 hours, drops off right on the UW-Madison campus and costs $5-$30 dollars as long as you book it at least a couple weeks in advance (usually cheaper when avoiding Fridays/Sundays)

I think there is are Amtrak routes into Wisconsin (Milwaukee, for sure), but I'm not sure on Madison
Amtrak was $40 when I took it a few years ago. I think there is also Badger bus from MKE to Madison.

Totally casual. In my interview they asked a lot of "get to know you" questions and gave us plenty of time to ask about their experiences. Don't stress about it!
My experience was pretty much this, too. They asked us for names/majors, most and least favorite undergrad courses, and what career we would choose if we couldn't do anything medical. Absolutely nothing to worry about here, just be relaxed, friendly and outgoing because they're looking to see if you'd be a good fit personality-wise.

You can also take the free #80 bus from the memorial union where the bus drops you off directly to the HSLC or to the inntowner best western which is the closest hotel to the med school.

Hey guys,

I got an interview invite a couple days ago (YAY) and was curious if the current med students could fill me in on if it is true that the interview is not weighed that heavily. From what I've been reading in the interview questions forum, many people are saying it is only weighed as much as another Letter of Recommendation. Is there any truth to these statements? I can't imagine the interview not being that large of a factor as they only give out so many interviews right?

Hey guys,

I got an interview invite a couple days ago (YAY) and was curious if the current med students could fill me in on if it is true that the interview is not weighed that heavily. From what I've been reading in the interview questions forum, many people are saying it is only weighed as much as another Letter of Recommendation. Is there any truth to these statements? I can't imagine the interview not being that large of a factor as they only give out so many interviews right?

Things have changed a bit, but historically UW has not weighed the interview as much as other schools. In the last couple years I think we've emphasized it a bit more.

For the last poster, I think the %s this year will be about 50% for IS and 1/3 for OOS.

Things have changed a bit, but historically UW has not weighed the interview as much as other schools. In the last couple years I think we've emphasized it a bit more.

Hey thanks for the response! I had another question. Do the faculty interviewers still only have your partial application (activities and personal statement) but no grades/MCAT/GPA or even your secondary and letters of recommendation?

I am mainly concerned if I need to worry about answering why I took multiple MCAT exams or had a couple C's on my transcript.

Hey thanks for the response! I had another question. Do the faculty interviewers still only have your partial application (activities and personal statement) but no grades/MCAT/GPA or even your secondary and letters of recommendation?

I am mainly concerned if I need to worry about answering why I took multiple MCAT exams or had a couple C's on my transcript.

You may stop worrying. They don't have your grades or MCAT score.

Woot woot! Thank you kindly.

Just to give you a heads up. Although the interview is semi-open, the first question my interviewer asked me was what my MCAT score and GPA were.

Just to give you a heads up. Although the interview is semi-open, the first question my interviewer asked me was what my MCAT score and GPA were.

Mine too but I smiled slyly and never answered. Don't get tripped up on it.

Well that just ruined my plans. Oh well, I need good answers for those in other interviews anyway. Thanks for the info.

Well that just ruined my plans. Oh well, I need good answers for those in other interviews anyway. Thanks for the info.
If it makes you feel any better, my interviewer never even brought those figures up. I guess it all depends on who you get.

The interview sounds like it will be quite laid back with the exception of getting the standard questions such as:

Why Wisconsin? Why medicine? and What do you want me to add to your application?

Have the people that interviewed received any ethical questions? Strength and weakness? What would you change about healthcare?

It is to my understanding the group interview is more of a Q&A with mainly questions about school and getting to know you type deal.

The interview sounds like it will be quite laid back with the exception of getting the standard questions such as:

Why Wisconsin? Why medicine? and What do you want me to add to your application?

Have the people that interviewed received any ethical questions? Strength and weakness? What would you change about healthcare?

It is to my understanding the group interview is more of a Q&A with mainly questions about school and getting to know you type deal.
I got the standard 3 you mentioned. No ethics, no changes to healthcare, but I did get the strengths/weaknesses question. All in all it was a pretty relaxed interview. I didn't feel like my interviewer tried throwing me any curveballs which was nice.

How's the weather up there in January? Also, is the interview day spent mostly inside? I'm coming from the south and I don't really know what to expect.

How's the weather up there in January?
COLD! Historical weather information can be found here: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=mkx
1) Select Monthly Weather Summary
2) Select Madison
3) Select January 2011
Also, is the interview day spent mostly inside?
100%
I'm coming from the south and I don't really know what to expect.
How far south? Think of the warmest thing you have, then double it. My suggestion (as someone who used to live in San Diego) make sure you bring a scarf. They do wonders to keep you feeling warm even when the rest of you doesn't have enough protection.

Last edited:
Got the Extended Review email today (interviewed 11/4, IS). Very bummed. Is this the first year they are giving this status? I couldn't find any stats from previous years on the chances of being accepted after getting Extended Review.

Has anyone gotten this status and heard back already? The email says several weeks, which is not very informative. I can't believe I have to wait even longer!

Secondary submitted mid-September, OOS, and no communication since then. I guess the writing's on the wall...

Got the Extended Review email today (interviewed 11/4, IS). Very bummed. Is this the first year they are giving this status? I couldn't find any stats from previous years on the chances of being accepted after getting Extended Review.

Has anyone gotten this status and heard back already? The email says several weeks, which is not very informative. I can't believe I have to wait even longer!

Are they emailing the acceptances, waitlists/extended reviews, and rejections?

I thought they were sending everything snail mail (or so they told us).

Secondary submitted mid-September, OOS, and no communication since then. I guess the writing's on the wall...

I know it's tough but you guys who haven't heard anything yet have just got to be patient. I submitted in mid-August, was put on hold at the end of October, and then received my interview invite in late November. (that's 3 months). I am OOS and don't have numbers to brag about.

So keep your head up and try to keep yourself busy so you don't go crazy!

Got an acceptance yesterday! IS/32/3.8/interview 11/11/11!!!! :love: Can't explain how excited I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck interviewees and future classmates!

Status
Not open for further replies.