2012-2013 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interviewing 1/11 and flying in to Detroit the day before. How have people been getting to the area around OUWB? I'm planning on renting a car but I'm SoCal born and bred so have no experience driving in snow. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interviewing 1/11 and flying in to Detroit the day before. How have people been getting to the area around OUWB? I'm planning on renting a car but I'm SoCal born and bred so have no experience driving in snow. Thanks!

I rented a car as well. As far as I understand, it's either that, a taxi (would be super expensive), or have someone you know pick you up.

I liked having a car because it gave me the opportunity to see the area in my free time, so I recommend that. As far as winter driving, the roads should be cleared of snow, but if not, give yourself extra time to stop and take your time around turns. You'll get used to it quickly (this is coming from a guy who essentially lives in an arctic tundra).

Good luck!

Rent a car if possible; it's cheaper than a round trip taxi ride, but only if you reserve in advance! I did not, and ended up paying $250+ for one day. I would have been pissed if I didn't get in (not that it was the school's fault or anything, but that's a lot of money for me)!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rent a car if possible; it's cheaper than a round trip taxi ride, but only if you reserve in advance! I did not, and ended up paying $250+ for one day. I would have been pissed if I didn't get in (not that it was the school's fault or anything, but that's a lot of money for me)!

100% agree with this

Has anyone received the coveted phone call of acceptance after being re-reviewed several times at committee meeting? Or has everyone that has been accepted received notice the first time their file post-interview was reviewed by the adcom.

Last edited:
has anyone received the coveted phone call of acceptance after being re-reviewed several times at committee meeting? Or has everyone that got accepted received notice the first time their file post-interview was reviewed by the adcom.

+1

This is so amazing...!

Accepted today.

Interviewed 12/7

Accepted this afternoon as well!!! So excited, loved everything about this school. Interviewed mid November.

Accepted today too!!! Got the call about an hour ago. I absolutely loved this school and the interview day :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on how close the hotels are to the school? And is there parking at the school?

Can anyone comment on how close the hotels are to the school? And is there parking at the school?

1) There are some cheap hotels nearby, less than about 2 miles from campus. I have personally stayed at the Candlewood Suites nearby, not for my interview but for a concert. It is adequate and reasonably priced.

2) Parking is great on campus as long as you are there before 8am, which you will be.

Good luck on the interview Mdtichen! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

1) There are some cheap hotels nearby, less than about 2 miles from campus. I have personally stayed at the Candlewood Suites nearby, not for my interview but for a concert. It is adequate and reasonably priced.

2) Parking is great on campus as long as you are there before 8am, which you will be.

Good luck on the interview Mdtichen! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks for the info!! I'm so excited, ahh!

They also have a student host program if that's something you're comfortable with. I had a great time staying with a student the night before my interview. I learned a lot about the OUWB from a first-hand source, saved money, and felt way more relaxed at the interview the next day.

They also have a student host program if that's something you're comfortable with. I had a great time staying with a student the night before my interview. I learned a lot about the OUWB from a first-hand source, saved money, and felt way more relaxed at the interview the next day.

:thumbup:

Totally agree.

I definitely looked into that, the only problem is that my girlfriend will be coming with me as well. She is applying next cycle and wants to see the school. I figured a hotel would be the best bet given that circumstance

I've been complete since 10/24 and just sent an email with a grade update since I'm currently enrolled in a masters program. Does anyone know if the adcom is receptive to letters of interest?

I've been complete since 10/24 and just sent an email with a grade update since I'm currently enrolled in a masters program. Does anyone know if the adcom is receptive to letters of interest?

Yes they are, I sent one and got an II like a week or two later.

Yes they are, I sent one and got an II like a week or two later.

Oh that's awesome, thanks for the info! Yeah, I included several paragraphs in my grade update email that expressed interest in their program and any personal characteristics and experiences that weren't on my AMCAS and secondary essay.

Congrats to all those with recent acceptances. :)

Where do we send transcripts to? I can't find the address on the website for some reason.

Congrats to all those with recent acceptances. :)

Where do we send transcripts to? I can't find the address on the website for some reason.

OUWB School of Medicine
216 O’Dowd Hall
2200 Squirrel Road
Rochester, Michigan 48309

Has anyone from the 12/7 interview date received any news other than acceptances? Wondering if waitlists/rejections are going out by email or snail mail.

Has anyone from the 12/7 interview date received any news other than acceptances? Wondering if waitlists/rejections are going out by email or snail mail.
From what I've heard, rejections go out via snail mail.

As far as the waitlist, OUWB doesn't have an actual waitlist because the admissions committees reviews all applicants at each of their meetings. Maybe later in the cycle a waitlist will be created

I know Dean Grabowski mentioned during interview day to not worry about sending in Letters of Interest and that update letters had little effect on the decision process, but did any of you acceptees send either of these to the school anyway post interview??

ps: Congrats!

I know Dean Grabowski mentioned during interview day to not worry about sending in Letters of Interest and that update letters had little effect on the decision process, but did any of you acceptees send either of these to the school anyway post interview??

ps: Congrats!

I didn't

Just withdrew my application--was scheduled to interview January 18.
Somebody please use my spot!!!
Good luck everyone

Question: If you were accepted, and you're currently in school, are you expected to send fall grade updates?

Does anyone have an idea of how the "newness" of the school will affect residency options? Will OUWB students have a hard time getting residency spots outside of Michigan?

Does anyone have an idea of how the "newness" of the school will affect residency options? Will OUWB students have a hard time getting residency spots outside of Michigan?

If its any consolation the clinical sites, Beaumont, has been training physicians for 50 years.

If its any consolation the clinical sites, Beaumont, has been training physicians for 50 years.

This. The school's newness usually only becomes a problem because the education for the clinical years is not established. Beaumont's clinical training has a solid reputation, so it is extremely likely that there will be no problems come match time.

Has anyone successfully been matched with a student host? I'm interviewing at the end of this week and haven't heard back from them.

Has anyone successfully been matched with a student host? I'm interviewing at the end of this week and haven't heard back from them.

I was. I had them email me at the last minute to set it up though. Buy my student host experience was great

Nobody heard anything yesterday? I interviewed 12/19, and was apparently passed over-- again.

Nobody heard anything yesterday? I interviewed 12/19, and was apparently passed over-- again.

There were acceptances given out yesterday. OUWB has a twitter account where they update applicants on where they are in the process. Are you sure you interviewed on the 19th? I thought OUWB only does Friday interviews. In any case, here's the twitter page: https://twitter.com/ouwbadmissions.

Apparently, they still have students to review from the November and December interviews.

Interviewing tomorrow! Really excited! Hope to see some of you there.

My bad- it was the 12/14 interview. Do you get an email if you have been deferred? I haven't gotten anything.

Does anyone know approximately how much the deposit will be in spring? I'd like to start setting money aside.

My bad- it was the 12/14 interview. Do you get an email if you have been deferred? I haven't gotten anything.

If you are considered a bad fit for the school, you will be rejected via email. Otherwise, you will be considered and reconsidered during each subsequent adcom meeting. If you haven't been rejected yet, you're still in the running. I believe the wait list is formed some time in April.

Does anyone know approximately how much the deposit will be in spring? I'd like to start setting money aside.

I think the deposit is $100. So much more reasonable than the thousands of dollars DO schools ask for!

Last edited:
If you are considered a bad fit for the school, you will be rejected via email. Otherwise, you will be considered and reconsidered during each subsequent adcom meeting. If you haven't been rejected yet, you're still in the running. I believe the wait list is formed some time in April.

The wait list is actually formed in march. If you haven't heard by then then you are probably on the wait list.

Status
Not open for further replies.