2013-2014 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any II's recently. In the past MCW has sent some invites out in mid-December so I'm expecting some to be sent out next week.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
To those who recently interviewed (12/6) were we supposed to receive any confirmation if we sent post-interview updates?
Thanks!

Any II's recently. In the past MCW has sent some invites out in mid-December so I'm expecting some to be sent out next week.
Just received an interview invitation today! I'm interviewing on 1/24.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an MCW fb group yet?

Not yet that I'm aware of. I was thinking about starting one or contacting previous years admins to see if I need to follow any "procedure". I am an Early Decision applicant accepted to MCW on 9/13/13 (Friday the 13th!) so I'm going to be an MCW student for sure. If anyone else is certain this is their school also I'd be happy to collaborate on a FB page. Just PM me. I'm a local as well, so I'd be happy to also help field any questions on FB or otherwise for people preparing to come to the Milwaukee area as it gets closer to August. I was just over at MCW on Saturday and I must say I'm super excited to be going here and I can't wait to see who will shape the MCW class of 2018!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! When were you small pooled?
Thank you! I was small-pooled way back on 9/25 (got my secondary in during Labor Day Weekend). So excited to hear back from them! All this waiting is the worst, but by reading this thread it seems like MCW is quicker to give people decisions than other schools.

Rejected pre-interview. In state 3.65/37. Blindsided .

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh, so was I! My first acceptance, feels great!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Small Pool:Sept 16
II: Oct 16
Interview: 12/06
Accept: 12/13

Secondary completed: Jul 6? (whatever the first day was)
Small Pooled: Aug 9
II: Nov 25
Interview: Dec 6
Accepted: Dec 13

There is still lots of hope for you all swimming in the small pool! I am OOS and was told that with the large number of us OOSers that they are a little behind in reviewing them all. They are honest when they say they conduct interviews into the second semester.

Good luck!

Rejected through snail mail. Good luck everyone else :)

I haven't heard anything...no small pool, no rejection, nothing. Complete mid-Sept...

Sigh...

Nice thin letter of rejection today.

Boo. Best of luck to everyone else!

Secondary completed: July 6
Small Pooled: August 22
II: 10/15
Interview: December 6
Accepted: December 13

OOS, don't give up hope small poolers!!

Secondary completed: July 6
Small Pooled: August 22
II: 10/15
Interview: December 6
Accepted: December 13

OOS, don't give up hope small poolers!!
That's such a fast turnaround!

That's such a fast turnaround!

Yes! Expect a one week turnaround. That's about average for MCW I think. My group had 52 interviewees too, so they're really efficient haha.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has posted this yet, but FYI my group was told that typically ~60 interviewees per month, 42-44 accepted, 7-8 waitlisted, 7-8 rejected. So, really good odds if you are given an interview I believe!

It seems ~2 months is about average for small pool --> II notification. Hopefully this is good news for me :xf:

Nothing but silence for me since I was small pooled Aug 22. Complete on Aug 1, OOS

Same..small pooled 8/28....silence since.

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

Reactions: 6 users
Secondary complete 10/15
Small pool today 12/26 :xf:
3.7 science and cumulative; 28 MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all. For any current students on this thread, I had a couple questions that I was hoping to get answered.

I remember the students mentioning something about it being mandatory to have an ipad for school. Is this still the case and if so are we restricted to buying an ipad, or will any tablet suffice?

The second question I had was about how weather conditions can impact driving up in Milwaukee. Is the snow bad enough to require an all-wheel drive vehicle, or do most students drive standard front wheel drive cars?

Thanks a bunch!

I remember the students mentioning something about it being mandatory to have an ipad for school. Is this still the case and if so are we restricted to buying an ipad, or will any tablet suffice?
There are some apps that we had available to us which are only on the iPad, but for the most part the required uses of the portable electronics are not platform dependent. That being said, I heard talk about moving to use iPads during the Anatomy practical exams but I don't know what the status of that is. I suppose if the examination software also works on another tablet then it wouldn't be an issue as to what type of device you have.
The second question I had was about how weather conditions can impact driving up in Milwaukee. Is the snow bad enough to require an all-wheel drive vehicle, or do most students drive standard front wheel drive cars?
Because Wisconsin is a place that has cold and snowy winters they have lots of plows & salt trucks. To just get to the point - there is not need for a 4x4 vehicle. I drive a front wheel car and have had no issues. (Winter driving is more about the driver's ability than the vehicle.)

Hi all. For any current students on this thread, I had a couple questions that I was hoping to get answered.

Thanks a bunch!

Basically echoing the last poster.

You'll eventually get a list of the requirements for both the tablet and the laptop, and I believe they ask you to have an ipad. Four wheel drive/all wheel drive is always helpful, but not necessary.

I'm just as pruny as you, Grady... Small-pooled 9-14! We can prune-out together and be tastey indeed.

Is there a tour of facilities at this school, and if so how much outdoors walking does it involve? I want to make sure I am prepared!

Is there a tour of facilities at this school, and if so how much outdoors walking does it involve? I want to make sure I am prepared!
There is a tour, but everything is confined inside. Typically, they cannot take applicants through the hospitals for confidentiality reasons and the research areas are also protected (though, I believe on Second Look day for those accepted they will at least take us through the hospitals), but the whole campus including the medical complex is connected so no outdoor walking required. Once you are in the building you can stay inside! This is a very good thing indeed.

I noticed that MCW places a high amount of people in California residencies. Can anyone from MCW shed light on why this is? Does MCW have a high number of CA matriculants who seek to go back to the state or is it that MCW prepares students well enough that they are obtaining geographically broad (non-regional) residencies at a high rate? Could be both I guess...

I noticed that MCW places a high amount of people in California residencies. Can anyone from MCW shed light on why this is? Does MCW have a high number of CA matriculants who seek to go back to the state or is it that MCW prepares students well enough that they are obtaining geographically broad (non-regional) residencies at a high rate? Could be both I guess...

I think both probably, too. I'm sure a current or past student could answer this better, but also ask the powers that be on interview day. They are really helpful. What I do know is that MCW does have a lot of CA residents as students. I think behind Wisconsin residents which naturally are the majority, CA is usually the next most represented state in MCW medical school classes. When I was there on "Mock Interview Day" which MCW students do for local pre-meds there was an overwhelming number of Californians out of the M-1's and M-2's there that day. I think it's pretty cool, actually. As a lifelong WI resident I like the fact that unlike a public state school MCW has a variety of students in each class that come from all over, not just WI and not just the upper Midwest either.

I think both probably, too. I'm sure a current or past student could answer this better, but also ask the powers that be on interview day. They are really helpful. What I do know is that MCW does have a lot of CA residents as students. I think behind Wisconsin residents which naturally are the majority, CA is usually the next most represented state in MCW medical school classes. When I was there on "Mock Interview Day" which MCW students do for local pre-meds there was an overwhelming number of Californians out of the M-1's and M-2's there that day. I think it's pretty cool, actually. As a lifelong WI resident I like the fact that unlike a public state school MCW has a variety of students in each class that come from all over, not just WI and not just the upper Midwest either.

I'm a little confused by the phrasing of your question msquaredb. If you are asking whether many CA students at MCW go back to CA to be residents, I can't help you as I have no idea what the numbers are. I would agree with the suggestion in the above post: ask the admissions staff. If you run into any 3rd-4th year students while interviewing here, they would probably also know more about this.

MCW is a good school and it certainly won't hold you back, but your competitiveness as a residency applicant will be mostly based on your performance, not the school you attended (provided it's a US allopathic school). I know that is a really bland statement, but I felt like it needed to be said.

As for numbers, my class has about 100 WI students, 40-50 CA students, 50-60 everywhere else. I forget the exact amounts.

I am incredibly excited to interview here within the week.

Did anyone receive the small pool e-mail twice? I'm just wondering what this means. Thanks!

The credit report is what we supposed to sign, scan, and email to financial aid correct?