2013-2014 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the interview tomorrow, do we park in the visitor lot across from the medical college if we are driving a vehicle?

Yep! You can park in the visitor lot on interview day as well! Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tried to google for it (didn't find it) but found this video. :)

This presentation was on Second Look Day in 2012 or 2013...
Very informative!
https://www.youtube.com/embed/5cKmCrZ02z0
Yeah, that was from 2nd Look in 2012. All the construction and refurb work that Dr. Hoagland was talking about was completed last year. The people who are interviewing right now will be the third M1 class under the Discovery Curriculum.

Rejected....complete sometime in like Oct.??

I think I'm gonna drown myself in a bag of double stuff Oreos. No rejection there- just delicious fatty rejection-soothing goodness.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection via email? I haven't heard a thing since being complete in October.

Withdrew from the waitlist.

Question for current MCW students re: health and dental coverage:

I noticed there is little information online for MCW M.D students' health and dental coverage options. However, the Graduate School page does have far more extensive information. I would imagine that while MD students will have to pay for their coverage (or be covered by a spouse or parent) vs. PhD students getting it provided for them that the same plans and options are available for MD students. I am trying to plan for a potential future need in the dental/orthodontic arena and it'd be very helpful to find out what may or may not be covered when I start in August making waiting possibly worth my while before proceeding with a treatment. So, if anyone can enlighten me on this that would be great! Here is what the graduate school has online: http://www.mcw.edu/graduateschool/admissionandregistration/Orientation/HealthInsurance.htm

Also, when does coverage start for new students? Does it begin the first day of classes or prior to?

Thanks!

Question for current MCW students re: health and dental coverage:

I noticed there is little information online for MCW M.D students' health and dental coverage options. However, the Graduate School page does have far more extensive information. I would imagine that while MD students will have to pay for their coverage (or be covered by a spouse or parent) vs. PhD students getting it provided for them that the same plans and options are available for MD students. I am trying to plan for a potential future need in the dental/orthodontic arena and it'd be very helpful to find out what may or may not be covered when I start in August making waiting possibly worth my while before proceeding with a treatment. So, if anyone can enlighten me on this that would be great! Here is what the graduate school has online: http://www.mcw.edu/graduateschool/admissionandregistration/Orientation/HealthInsurance.htm

Also, when does coverage start for new students? Does it begin the first day of classes or prior to?

Thanks!
I think coverage started right before classes did, but you should check with the school to be certain. With the orientation paperwork that you will receive there will be a section where you can choose your medical/dental coverage. There are a couple of options for dental, one of which looks similar to the link you posted.

Thanks, CopaceticOne! I'll probably check with MCW if I get antsy for more details. :)

Just received an email "save the date" for second look. Friday April 25th.

Reactions: 1 users
Is MCW still sending out II's? Or are we just waiting on a mass rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! I'm so excited!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted as well! So excited!

Reactions: 3 users
ACCEPTED! So excited, this was my first choice. Can't wait to meet you all :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an email "save the date" for second look. Friday April 25th.

Did everyone else who has been accepted receive this email? should I be worried that I did not, that they didnt get my deposit or something?

Did everyone else who has been accepted receive this email? should I be worried that I did not, that they didnt get my deposit or something?
I got this email too! I sent in my deposit last year though. There wasn't much to the invite, just announcing the date. They did say that RVSP and details would follow and I haven't gotten that yet so you're okay for now. :)

Congrats to all the recent acceptances! I'll definitely be at second look day. Looking forward to meeting all of you~
:)

I got this email too! I sent in my deposit last year though. There wasn't much to the invite, just announcing the date. They did say that RVSP and details would follow and I haven't gotten that yet so you're okay for now. :)

Congrats to all the recent acceptances! I'll definitely be at second look day. Looking forward to meeting all of you~
:)

I sent in my deposit in October so if they never got it then, that is long enough ago that I am probably out of the running for aid (which is what I am waiting for) if they think I forfeited my seat :/ But I will hang tight for now and see if I get that RSVP email when the rest of yall get it! There wasnt any sort of confirmation email for them receiving our deposit was there?

I sent in my deposit in October so if they never got it then, that is long enough ago that I am probably out of the running for aid (which is what I am waiting for) if they think I forfeited my seat :/ But I will hang tight for now and see if I get that RSVP email when the rest of yall get it! There wasnt any sort of confirmation email for them receiving our deposit was there?
Nah, there wasn't a confirmation email. If you want you can just give them a call to make sure that they did get your deposit, which is what I did when I hadn't heard from them for awhile.

Also, congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Can't wait to meet the rest of this class!

Edit: Well this is awkward, I actually did get a confirmation email for my deposit. It was the other requirements that I never got a confirmation email for from MCW.

Last edited:

I actually did receive a confirmation email.. you should call them ASAP

Don't want to worry you but I got a confirmation about a week after I sent it saying it was received and processed. I'd prob call them if I were you

I actually did receive a confirmation email.. you should call them ASAP

Don't want to worry you but I got a confirmation about a week after I sent it saying it was received and processed. I'd prob call them if I were you

Ahh thanks guys! Just searched through my email and it turned out I got a confirmation but just never opened it!

Feels good to say this Accepted!!!

Completed: Sept. 1st
Small Pooled: Nov. 4th
II: Dec. 11th
Interviewed: Jan. 24th
Accepted: Jan. 31st

Reactions: 1 users
+1 ... Small-pooled in September and heard nothing since then (oh dear, please send me II !!)
+2, exact same situation (October small pool though). anyone know the last interview date (that are not just for waitlist...approximate even)? congrats to those accepted

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here. Hope the spot goes to one of you guys!

Interview Invite just now. Small-pooled 10/15/13.

I was also just invited to interview (small pooled on 10/23 or so??). I'm OOS.

However, there is this line in the invitation e-mail: "We are now interviewing only for placement on our wait list. Please know that we do rely on the wait list to fill our class."

If I'm already holding 2 acceptances, (and hopefully another acceptance when I hear back from Michigan next week) is it worth interviewing here just for a spot on the waitlist? How significant is their waitlist movement? I am interested in the school, but I really can't spend the money if my chances of being moved off the waitlist are not significant.

waitlist, you meant "Small-pooled" ?

thanks
It means their class is full but they are populating the waitlist by interviewing more people from the small pool.

Does anyone know how many people they usually take from their waitlist? I just got that invitation too, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to fly there for the interview. I was so excited until I read the word "waitlist"haha

I was also just invited to interview (small pooled on 10/23 or so??). I'm OOS.

However, there is this line in the invitation e-mail: "We are now interviewing only for placement on our wait list. Please know that we do rely on the wait list to fill our class."

If I'm already holding 2 acceptances, (and hopefully another acceptance when I hear back from Michigan next week) is it worth interviewing here just for a spot on the waitlist? How significant is their waitlist movement? I am interested in the school, but I really can't spend the money if my chances of being moved off the waitlist are not significant.

Does anyone know how many people they usually take from their waitlist? I just got that invitation too, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to fly there for the interview. I was so excited until I read the word "waitlist"haha

In previous threads people have stated about 40-60

Somebody earlier in the thread said they take the first quartile (around 40).

I probably should have searched the thread before I asked, huh... Well thank you both for the replies! Sounds like it may be more worth it to interview than I would have guessed

when were you small pooled ?

thanks !

Just got the II for waitlist as well. Will be withdrawing though.