2013-2014 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted, nice and easy secondary. Does anyone who have the LORs received by AMCAS have their letters marked as received my MCW already on the status page?
I don't. I submitted my application just over four hours ago. I assume they'll update in the next couple of days.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anybody having issues typing in the information for an optional rec letter? I type in the title and name and then save the page and it's gone when I go back to it…

Never mind! I was being stupid. Medical College of Wisconsin: 1. Poor, freaked out pre-med student: 0.

Was there a "submit" option somewhere on the secondary website or does it automatically submit after you certify? I am not able to see anywhere to actually submit the secondary. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was there a "submit" option somewhere on the secondary website or does it automatically submit after you certify? I am not able to see anywhere to actually submit the secondary. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

All I did was "certify" it and that seems to be their equivalent of a submission! Now it looks like all we need is our rec letters to go through and we'll be considered complete on the status tab.

Thank god for easy secondaries lol

Just got the secondary! For photos for secondaries, do you think its ok if my photo is just me in a nice black collared shirt? I left my suit at home and don't have a tie or anything in my apartment :(

Yep, you'll be fine. No issues here when I uploaded a cropped casual photo of me where you can just see my shirt collar.

Anyone not submitting a photo? Think it's a big deal if we don't? It is optional, but don't know if it is "strongly suggested" or something either. Maybe someone from past application cycles has input. I will go over last year's thread, too.

Anyone else not complete here with letters? How long does it typically take for them to indicate that the letters have arrived?

Anyone else not complete here with letters? How long does it typically take for them to indicate that the letters have arrived?
I'm also still not complete. AMCAS verified 6/10, secondary submitted 7/1.

I could be wrong but I think it took a week or two last year. Don't worry about this stuff too much. MCW small pools people before they invite you for an interview. It's basically a first cut. If they don't have your letters after a week or two, then contact them. If AMCAS has your letters they will get them to the schools. This process takes over a year, relax and enjoy the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone not submitting a photo? Think it's a big deal if we don't? It is optional, but don't know if it is "strongly suggested" or something either. Maybe someone from past application cycles has input. I will go over last year's thread, too.

I would submit one. It will help them put a face to the name on your application. Mine was kind of a grainy, cropped photo from a poster presentation and it worked out fine.

I remember it taking a couple weeks. I told myself not to worry about it because I knew I had assigned the letters and it eventually were marked as received. Like the other poster said, this is just one small test of patience so don't stress out too much.

My letters were all marked as received in the secondary status today. Application still isn't marked as complete though...

my status says letters have arrived, I've paid and have a verified amcas with an mcat, but I'm still not complete. what gives? am i missing something?

my status says letters have arrived, I've paid and have a verified amcas with an mcat, but I'm still not complete. what gives? am i missing something?

me too. i think it's just updating?

2ndary submitted. :) Getting a picture of myself to submit was annoying, but at least now I'll have something for all the other schools that request one too.

I haven't gotten my secondary yet as I submitted my AMCAS last week--do they just want a headshot?

I haven't gotten my secondary yet as I submitted my AMCAS last week--do they just want a headshot?

Yep, just a headshot.

PS: For all those worrying about letters, I was going through their website today and found this:

How will I know my letters of recommendation have arrived?
After you certify your Secondary Application on-line, the Admissions Office will then be able enter letters of recommendation that have been received. You can check your status on-line from the Status Check Page.

http://www.mcw.edu/medicalschool/admissions/LettersofRecommendation.htm

So it looks like they can't update your letter status until after you submit your secondary.

Anyone know if we can update the school with more letters of rec later in the cycle? Or do they just restrict you to the ones you originally put on the secondary?

Complete! One of my optional rec letters isn't in. Too bad.. Doesn't look like it'll be added to my app here.

Mine still says its not complete. I am waiting on one letter though so that may be why. All my other letters are in AMCAS and properly assigned so I'm not sure why those aren't marked as received at MCW?

Does anyone know the secondary prompt?

No essays; just a fee and some questions (I think; I can't remember exactly).

Oh and my credit card got charged today for the fee so I would guess all of you with complete apps will soon be reviewed (I'm still waiting on letters).

Did anyone get the secondary prior to AMCAS verification?

I've been marked as complete! Fingers crossed for an interview! :)

Yay I am complete too! Hoping for an early interview invite to get this process rolling.

i submitted the secondary because picture was optional, but it just would not upload for me. anyone else have the same issue?

and good luck to everyone who's applied! :luck:

i submitted the secondary because picture was optional, but it just would not upload for me. anyone else have the same issue?

and good luck to everyone who's applied! :luck:

I did not have this problem, but the secondary FAQs mentions that you may email MCW the picture if you have problems uploading. I don't think it's a major deal to submit without a picture, though. I, for one, loathe having my picture taken and therefore have very few pics of myself so I certainly flip flopped on whether or not to submit one at all. Anyway, the email to send your picture to is [email protected]

Good luck all! :)

For people that received secondary, are you verified???

So, does anyone know the past history of when the first set of interview invites are sent out?

So, does anyone know the past history of when the first set of interview invites are sent out?

I was reading past application cycle threads and it looks like the earliest invites got sent out in late August.

For the Letters section of the secondary:

1) Can I edit this after certifying (like I could in AMCAS)

2) How binding is it? Only 2 of my 5 letters are in so far and I'd like to have both my science letters (one of which is also my PI) in before I assign any letters to a particular school Or is it possible to just update the college later on it? For example if I decide to only use 4 specific letters. Should I wait for all the letters to come in, or should I submit what I have now + contact MCW to add subsequent letters?

For the Letters section of the secondary:

1) Can I edit this after certifying (like I could in AMCAS)

2) How binding is it? Only 2 of my 5 letters are in so far and I'd like to have both my science letters (one of which is also my PI) in before I assign any letters to a particular school Or is it possible to just update the college later on it? For example if I decide to only use 4 specific letters. Should I wait for all the letters to come in, or should I submit what I have now + contact MCW to add subsequent letters?

Best thing to do is send a e-mail / call the admissions office for the answer. The people there are VERY friendly & helpful. Post the answer when you get it. ;)

Best thing to do is send a e-mail / call the admissions office for the answer. The people there are VERY friendly & helpful. Post the answer when you get it. ;)

Yup I called this morning, they were very friendly. It can't be edited after certifying and the letters actually need to be added before MCW will even receive them.

Called the office of admissions today; sounds like they are still working through LOR received from AMCAS last week.

In-State, 3.65 cGPA/sGPA, 37 MCAT. This is far and away my #1 choice. I love Milwaukee, I love Wisconsin, and I love the MCW campus. Good luck everyone, and I'm game for microbrews if we all make it to MCW.

I get it, I really do, and I find it cute to a point, but I hope at least some of you realize that there is SO much more to Milwaukee (and Wisconsin for that matter) than beer! I know fellow natives may appreciate my point, and OOS'ers just take note: Not every Milwaukeean is a beer swilling stereotype and if you assume we all just bathe in the stuff you may not get very welcoming responses. Just saying. But, yes, I do get it. Milwaukee has a proud past that includes beer and that beer history has given it a certain reputation (both good and bad), but try to know at least one other point about this beautiful city and beautiful state. Not hating, just saying. As a lifelong Milwaukee resident I can tell you that the beer thing gets really old from OOS'ers. Natives: you may carry on. ;)

Cheers everyone! PS: OOSers: If you know what a bubbler is it can earn you some points with the natives and can really help you "fit in". lol.

Oh, and here is a very brief article from Sacramento about Milwaukee. Does not get into Milwaukee in depth but gives a few highlight points to those who don't know a lot about the city and some suggestions on a few places to check out:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/15/5567096/in-milwaukee-happy-days-are-here.html

Last edited:
I get it, I really do, and I find it cute to a point, but I hope at least some of you realize that there is SO much more to Milwaukee (and Wisconsin for that matter) than beer! I know fellow natives may appreciate my point, and OOS'ers just take note: Not every Milwaukeean is a beer swilling stereotype and if you assume we all just bathe in the stuff you may not get very welcoming responses. Just saying. But, yes, I do get it. Milwaukee has a proud past that includes beer and that beer history has given it a certain reputation (both good and bad), but try to know at least one other point about this beautiful city and beautiful state. Not hating, just saying. As a lifelong Milwaukee resident I can tell you that the beer thing gets really old from OOS'ers. Natives: you may carry on. ;)

Cheers everyone! PS: OOSers: If you know what a bubbler is it can earn you some points with the natives and can really help you "fit in". lol.

Oh, and here is a very brief article from Sacramento about Milwaukee. Does not get into Milwaukee in depth but gives a few highlight points to those who don't know a lot about the city and some suggestions on a few places to check out:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/15/5567096/in-milwaukee-happy-days-are-here.html

I'm working in Sac, so thanks for that! A perspective I can understand :p

I know what a bubbler is--I have a friend from Wisconsin who's going to be an M1 at MCW this fall. :D

Called the office of admissions today; sounds like they are still working through LOR received from AMCAS last week.

My LOR finally were processed today and I'm now complete--anyone else who's been waiting should see something similar in their portal. :)