2013-2014 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now I had heard that UTSW was in the process of revising their preclinical curriculum pretty significantly, towards a by-system approach (much like BCM's, perhaps--if you can forgive the comparison). Though this will not affect the Class of 2018, I do believe UTSW invests in staying current.

Members don't see this ad.

Now I had heard that UTSW was in the process of revising their preclinical curriculum pretty significantly, towards a by-system approach (much like BCM's, perhaps--if you can forgive the comparison). Though this will not affect the Class of 2018, I do believe UTSW invests in staying current.
Well, since this is a thread for people applying to/accepted to the class of 2018, it's more relevant to talk about the curriculum they will have, isn't it? ;)
In fact, UTSW has sort of a combined curriculum with a more traditional subject-based MS1 and an integrated systems-based MS2. Compared to newer curricula at other schools, it has less small group learning, which can be either an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your preference. Also, compared to some newer curricula, it has fewer mandatory classes, which medical students I've talked to almost unanimously see as a great advantage.
To be honest, I like Baylor's curriculum with it's 1.5 years of integrated preclinical a lot more, and Baylor does have one of the highest median Step 1 (and Step 2) scores in the country.
So, the truth is, there are better schools and better curricula than that of UTSW. The other truth is, UTSW is still a great school (one of the doctors I know *loves* it and Parkland; she graduated from UTSW, did her residency in IM at Parkland, fellowship "in Boston" - a pseudomodest euphemism for MGH - and returned to Parkland as an attending) and for quite a few people it's their best school, so they may understandably get offended for someone criticizing their top choice.

I dunno man a lot of folks read these threads years before they even apply to med school so I don't think discussion of future curricula is necessarily irrelevant. Don't disagree with what you're saying bout the two schools tho. You know more than I do.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current UTSW MS1 I can comment a little about the curriculum - I like how we have very limited PBL, which IMO is mostly a time waster (in exception of two small P/F classes). The classes are generally well taught and I've learned a huge volume of information but of course, as an MS1, it's difficult to comment on how this will lend to step 1 prep. Although we don't have true blocks, our classes are fairly well spread out with testing schedule taken into consideration so classes will not overlap against each other. We have tests about every 3-4 weeks (on average) and this is pretty manageable because I feel like there's just the right amount of info we're responsible to learn for each test (not too much, and not too little that tests become too frequent). We generally don't take more than two courses at the same time during MS1 and MS2 transitions to a true block and integrated systems approach.

It would be helpful if some of the MS3-4's could comment about the step 1 prep since obviously I know next to nothing about it now.

If anyone is curious, the new 2014 match list is posted here:
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/newsroom/center-times/year-2014/march/match-day-specialty.html

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't say they teach to the boards, leaving out everything else you need to be a physician. Try reading what I typed again.

Just because you didnt say it doesnt make my statement false.

Well, since this is a thread for people applying to/accepted to the class of 2018, it's more relevant to talk about the curriculum they will have, isn't it? ;)
In fact, UTSW has sort of a combined curriculum with a more traditional subject-based MS1 and an integrated systems-based MS2. Compared to newer curricula at other schools, it has less small group learning, which can be either an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your preference. Also, compared to some newer curricula, it has fewer mandatory classes, which medical students I've talked to almost unanimously see as a great advantage.
To be honest, I like Baylor's curriculum with it's 1.5 years of integrated preclinical a lot more, and Baylor does have one of the highest median Step 1 (and Step 2) scores in the country.
So, the truth is, there are better schools and better curricula than that of UTSW. The other truth is, UTSW is still a great school (one of the doctors I know *loves* it and Parkland; she graduated from UTSW, did her residency in IM at Parkland, fellowship "in Boston" - a pseudomodest euphemism for MGH - and returned to Parkland as an attending) and for quite a few people it's their best school, so they may understandably get offended for someone criticizing their top choice.

Personally I like UTSW's curriculum with the exception of the one semester P/F. If they made it a whole year or even two years, that would be a huge benefit.
I like learning the courses that are the foundation of the information you will apply in your education ( the discipline based first year courses). You then apply that knowledge towards the integrated second year courses.

Its different strokes for different folks.
BCM is definitely doing something right with their high step 1 score, but I would think that them taking the step 1 after their clinical rotations are what are also responsible for their higher scores.

BCM is definitely doing something right with their high step 1 score, but I would think that them taking the step 1 after their clinical rotations are what are also responsible for their higher scores.
It's quite possible; Penn students who also have some of the highest step scores also take Step 1 after some clinical rotations (Penn also has a 1.5 year preclinical curriculum that I like a lot). Or it may be their student selection ;) Though haha, I already got some heat for saying that some students are better than others here :D
I dunno man a lot of folks read these threads years before they even apply to med school so I don't think discussion of future curricula is necessarily irrelevant.
This is a fair point.

I know the financial aid packages are supposed to come out either this week or next week, but will they send it direct to our normal email or do we have to check the UTSW email they gave us?

I know the financial aid packages are supposed to come out either this week or next week, but will they send it direct to our normal email or do we have to check the UTSW email they gave us?
Aren't fin aid packages supposed to come by mail?

I honestly don't know at all.
Neither do I :D But from the second look fin aid talk I got an impression fin aid packages would be sent by snail mail.
I guess we'll know in a few days.

Call them.
They told me 3-4 more weeks a few days ago

I just called and the Financial Aid office said the financial aid packages would be emailed to the students via the UT Southwestern email account. She said they are not up yet, but will be available in the next 5 to 7 business days.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you all realized that in all of the SDN posts, "I" is replaced by "me"? Is this SDN's April Fools joke?

Have you all realized that in all of the SDN posts, "me" is replaced by "me"? Is this SDN's awesome thing?
LOL- SDN is editing today's holiday to "awesome thing". This is hilarious.

me just called and the Financial Aid office said the financial aid packages would be emailed to the students via the UT Southwestern email account. She said they be not up yet, but will be available in the next 5 to 7 business days.

Huh. im surprised they're flip-flopping answers.

Just FYI: I received an email notification of my fin aid award today (FAFSA submitted way back in February).

on your utsw email? im trying to reset my password but cant find a way to do so..
Yes, on my UTSW email. I was able to log in with my user name and password without any problems. Apparently, you can't reset your password online but have to contact the IT guys: https://my.swmed.org:44350/utdocs/forgottenpassword.html (same info here: https://my.swmed.org:44350/utdocs/portalLoginHelp.html).

In other news, I got a better deal from a more prestigious private OOS school in a more expensive city (!!! so much for cheap TX IS COA :D) which I like more for oh so many reasons anyway, so I'm going to make someone here happy and withdraw from UTSW.

Also got financial aid info today. If we're still not committed does anyone know if we should accept it? It mentions there's a two week window to accept...

I got financial aid today too. Aside from a scholarship, I got all unsubsidized loans and a $500 grant. I will have 10K saved from my job, so at most I will take out ~$25K in loans for the first year.

Does anyone know how much of the loans we should realistically accept?

I wish I could see the breakdown of the expected costs to see where I can save money and take out less loan money. They showed the student budget during second look, but I don't see it on their website.

I got financial aid today too. Aside from a scholarship, I got all unsubsidized loans and a $500 grant. I will have 10K saved from my job, so at most I will take out ~$25K in loans for the first year.

I wish I could see the breakdown of the expected costs to see where I can save money and take out less loan money. They showed the student budget during second look, but I don't see it on their website.

In the student center where you see your financial aid offer, there's something that says shopping list or something (I'm not looking at it right now, so may be slightly off, but it had the word shopping for sure). They do a break down of your budget in there, though it's still not totally clear what some of the stuff means. Other educational costs, fees, ...

You can accept the maximum they have and then return the loan at the end of the semester before it accrues interest.
Was it a $500 or a $5000 grant?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You can accept the maximum they have and then return the loan at the end of the semester before it accrues interest.
Was it a $500 or a $5000 grant?
It was a $500 grant. Basically, no grant money at all.

on your utsw email? im trying to reset my password but cant find a way to do so..

Soooooo silly question, but how do I access my UTSW email? I was admitted back in the pre-match and haven't heard much from UTSW since then (didn't get a chance to go to second look weekend). Do I need to set up an account? How do I do that?

(ps long time no see, Gandalf!)

If no one else gotcha already:

I got an email from [email protected] on 21 Mar with my account info. You need the email to sign into your UTSW account (it has UN and PW and all urls you'll need). Maybe it went to spam? Hope you find it. Maybe email admissions if you didn't get it? Good luck my friend.

I got an email from [email protected] on 21 Mar with my account info. You need the email to sign into your UTSW account (it has UN and PW and all urls you'll need). Maybe it went to spam? Hope you find it. Maybe email admissions if you didn't get it? Good luck my friend.

Thanks, amigo/a! I went ahead and emailed admissions and they're going to help me figure it out. It's weird though because now I can't find any emails relating to being accepted to UTSW, or to the scholarship they offered. Maybe it was all just a dream? How disturbing.

I got the same email about my UTSW account info.

Thanks, amigo/a! I went ahead and emailed admissions and they're going to help me figure it out. It's weird though because now I can't find any emails relating to being accepted to UTSW, or to the scholarship they offered. Maybe it was all just a dream? How disturbing.
I am sure the admission office can email your UTSW account info to you again.

Last edited:
According to the previous years' threads, there were definite wl movements prior to May but I am hearing none this year. Also, this year, folks were rejected post-interview. What do you think it means for us still on the alternate list? I am very happy with my acceptance as it is but can't but wonder.

Reactions: 1 users
According to the previous years' threads, there were definite wl movements prior to May but I am hearing none this year. Also, this year, folks were rejected post-interview. What do you think it means for us still on the alternate list? I am very happy with my acceptance as it is but can't but wonder.
I think if they rejected some, the remaining applicants have better chance because the WL pool is smaller. Keep your hope!

Myself and some other friends recently withdrew. Many out-of-state schools just had their 2nd look weekends so those looking OOS should be making final decisions soon. Best of luck!

Another waitlisted OOS here. My interview at UTSW was sort of 'meh', so I don't know how much hope to hold out. I'm just happy I didn't get one of the post-interview rejections!

To echo Hopeful's thoughts, this year seems unusual from the past 2 years- no news on this thread of acceptances since pre match in December (the previous years, we got a few match and waitlisters in april/early may). Also, post-interview rejections as well. Hopefully this means alot of waitlist movement May 15th-Jun 1st, and not that seats are less plentiful this year for waitlisters.

On to May 15th!

Reactions: 1 users
Got off the waitlist early this afternoon! So happy!! Waitlist movement has begun!

Reactions: 3 users
Still in disbelief. I woke up this morning to find out I had gotten off the wait list yesterday, late evening!

I think i reread the email a hundred times to make sure it was for real.

Reactions: 4 users
Still in disbelief. I woke up this morning to find out I had gotten off the wait list yesterday, late evening!

I think i reread the email a hundred times to make sure it was for real.
Congratulations! So happy for you. :)

Are scholarship notifications given with financial aid notifications or are they received separately?

No WL movement yesterday or today? Maybe later this evening...

Anyone know by when the MPN has to be signed, and roughly when the tuition statement becomes available?