2013-2014 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know by when the MPN has to be signed, and roughly when the tuition statement becomes available?
It says June on their website

Members don't see this ad.

Let me rephrase that, anyone know when the tuition statement is available and what the window is to apply 529 funds verses federal loan or grant money. Or if any current students can kind of outline how the accounts work in student self service, that would be helpful too. I guess if it all gets lumped together it doesn't matter. Anyhow, insights appreciated. Gracias!!

still no further waitlist movement...? or just that nobody has been posting?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll second the call for any information on waitlist movement...it's been oddly quiet on this thread since the first two acceptances posted.

I got off the wait list sometime late last week but did not post. This late in the cycle I'm sure many people (like me) were just fed up with waiting and stopped being active on SDN, so I wouldn't look into the pattern of postings! I'm sure they'll accept a few more before June 1st, hang in there! I interviewed mid September.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Ah I see. Then the finger crossing continues I suppose. Thank you for your post NCKSD.

Got off the waitlist today. :clap: Good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
I got in from the waitlist today as well! Super excited!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got off the wait list today too (in state). This waiting game has been rough but it's so great to finally see some more movement. Good luck y'all!!! If there is a Facebook page out there could someone share the link?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
*For those who have gotten off the waitlist: This may be a silly question, but I'm wondering if anything changed in MyGateway under the Application Profile/Status heading once you were accepted? For instance, mine currently reads: Interviewed. I've been checking that obsessively, and would like to stop if nothing changes.

Hi everyone, I got off the waitlist today!! But now I have to make a decision... I have an acceptance at UT San Antonio, and I really love their curriculum – lots of PBL, integrated, etc. Seems perfect for me, who easily gets bored with traditional lecture/ studying. At UTSW, the more traditional MS1 year worries me, yet they seem to have more resources, and a lot more research (I plan to do research during med school, though it wouldn’t be my top priority). And of course UTSW is ranked higher… Any suggestions??? What do you like about these schools? Thanks!

*For those who have gotten off the waitlist: This may be a silly question, but I'm wondering if anything changed in MyGateway under the Application Profile/Status heading once you were accepted? For instance, mine currently reads: Interviewed. I've been checking that obsessively, and would like to stop if nothing changes.

Mine changed from interviewed to accepted but a day or two after I received an accepted email, so I wouldn't be on the lookout for a status change

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I got off the waitlist today!! But now I have to make a decision... I have an acceptance at UT San Antonio, and I really love their curriculum – lots of PBL, integrated, etc. Seems perfect for me, who easily gets bored with traditional lecture/ studying. At UTSW, the more traditional MS1 year worries me, yet they seem to have more resources, and a lot more research (I plan to do research during med school, though it wouldn’t be my top priority). And of course UTSW is ranked higher… Any suggestions??? What do you like about these schools? Thanks!

I didn't get into UTSW, but if I had I would think it has the upper hand on SA when it comes to resources and research. As some who has been researching at a OOS top ten NIH-funded university for the past couple years, its safe to say that SW is the highest pedigree medical school in Texas. When it comes down to it though, nobody can make the decision but you!

Go where you will be happiest. It's 4 years of your life and you'll be a doctor either way. With that said. I work with physicians who went to med school elsewhere, but did their residency at UTSW. They all say that while they loved their residency there, they were glad they weren't med students there.

Go where you will be happiest. It's 4 years of your life and you'll be a doctor either way. With that said. I work with physicians who went to med school elsewhere, but did their residency at UTSW. They all say that while they loved their residency there, they were glad they weren't med students there.

Isn't this implicitly biased? Just a thought, not initiating an argument.

Congrats to all the recently accepted students. Looking forward to seeing you all as my future classmates!
I have attached the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/189175837941143/

PBL always sounds great on paper, but it rarely turns out how you'd expect it to. A lot of people end up wishing they didn't have it because they don't find it as efficient as conventional studying. I personally prefer to have the optional lectures with minimal PBL so that I can decide how I want to study instead of being forced to spend X amount of hours per week in group sessions.

That being said, congratulations on your acceptances and you really can't go wrong either way!

Just to offer some counter opinion - I've worked with some physicians who loved UTSW med school so much they went there for residency. One thing to also keep in mind is that alot of physicians that are alumni at these Texas schools went there quite a while ago. Schools change alot in 20 years.

I got in from the waitlist today as well! Super excited!

Congratulations guys! Are you IS or OOS?

congrats on the acceptance! in my opinion the prestige of the school is way more important than details of the preclinical curriculum. yes these fancy sounding curricula are appealing selling points for prospective students... but in the end you will learn the exact same material. the southwestern name will at least look a little better when u apply for residency. unless you have an extremely strong reason to be in san antonio i think this is a no brainer.

Just to offer some counter opinion - I've worked with some physicians who loved UTSW med school so much they went there for residency. One thing to also keep in mind is that alot of physicians that are alumni at these Texas schools went there quite a while ago. Schools change alot in 20 years.
I second this; I've met UTSW alumni who loved the school so much they stayed there for residency. Some of them went elsewhere for their fellowships and then returned to Parkland as attendings.

That said, UTSW has a reputation of being a hard school, in part because of preclinical grading but mostly because of long hours and substantial responsibilities in MS3. The school could do without the former, but the latter arguably better prepares students for residency.

Last edited:
Oh dang. I just realized June 1st is another important date.
So people already accepted in Texas and waitlisted at UTSW just automatically get rejected at UTSW, right?
Does that apply to anyone here?! That's kind of a bummer in my opinion.

Oh dang. I just realized June 1st is another important date.
So people already accepted in Texas and waitlisted at UTSW just automatically get rejected at UTSW, right?
Does that apply to anyone here?! That's kind of a bummer in my opinion.

That's my situation. Seeing as how I didn't hear anything today, it looks like it's the end of the road for me.

I really like both schools, but ended up choosing UTSW. Thank you all for your help!

That's my situation. Seeing as how I didn't hear anything today, it looks like it's the end of the road for me.
Actually, June 1st is the last day to make offers.

According to the application tineline at TAMHSC:

June 1
Last day to make offers of acceptance to alternates holding acceptances at other Texas medical schools.

So we still have Monday.

Ahh bummer! That stinks actually.
Weird rule in my opinion.

^and actually June 1st is Sunday. So I'm pretty sure they've already picked the waitlisters with Texas acceptances already! :-/

Ahh bummer! That stinks actually.
Weird rule in my opinion.

^and actually June 1st is Sunday. So I'm pretty sure they've already picked the waitlisters with Texas acceptances already! :-/

Ah, you're right; it is Sunday. They're probably done, then. I wonder if it's still possible they might accept a few tomorrow, though.

Hey guys, longtime lurker here. I'm still waiting, too. Just wanted to let you know that I called Anne earlier this week and asked whether acceptances might still go out this weekend, since June 1st falls on a Sunday. She didn't say yes, but she did reiterate that June 1st at 5 pm is the deadline for students with an acceptance to another Texas school. So maybe there's hope?

I think you're probably right JHUDJA. No worries though. Although I undoubtedly would've enjoyed being a member of the class, I am happy just to have an acceptance at a great school.

To the rest of you: Let's be ever-vigilant in becoming the best of colleagues in the near future! Good luck to all.

Congrats on the acceptance! Still hoping and praying the waitlist game works out for me. Going to be a long next month or two, but I'll remain optimistic!

There's still hope!!! I got my acceptance email at 6 pm today. Absolutely ecstatic, and so, so relieved that this stressful wait is over.

Best of luck to those waiting tomorrow and for the next several weeks!

Hey I just want to let you guys know that I got off the waitlist on Thursday! So excited!

Anyone got a rejection email yet for not getting off waitlist or when do those come out?