2019-2020 Brown (Alpert)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't tell if someone asked/answered this already: Does Brown accept "thank you"s after the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't tell if someone asked/answered this already: Does Brown accept "thank you"s after the interview?

Also, super easy to find their emails online, so I sent my thank yous to my interviewees directly. They’re literally the nicest people in the world so I’m sure the lovely Filomena would also be happy to pass along your message

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II earlier today! Complete way back on 7/13. Pretty sure I'm going to drop this one, so good luck to whoever gets it! ;)

Reactions: 11 users
11/18 is next Monday! This is when we should expect to hear first round of A's, right?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
11/18 is next Monday! This is when we should expect to hear first round of A's, right?
Hope this week goes by quick! I can’t wait! Anybody who has interviewed up to the beginning of November will hear back!

Just to temper expectations they said they admit only a few then and that hella ppl get in later or off the wait list so don’t get down if you don’t get in next mon

Just to temper expectations they said they admit only a few then and that hella ppl get in later or off the wait list so don’t get down if you don’t get in next mon
good to know! thank you

Reactions: 3 users
good to know! thank you
They must have seen @limeyguydr 's spreadsheet because they specifically said the post-II acceptance rate isn't 80%, more like 30% right off the bat and then 50-60% counting WL movement. That's still a pretty good chance though!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone have any insight about interview day vibes?? Also any suggestions on what to check out in providence in the night before?!

Anyone have any insight about interview day vibes?? Also any suggestions on what to check out in providence in the night before?!
The interview day was one of the best I've had so far. One of the admissions people actually baked cookies and brought them to lunch for us. The admissions office also made everyone feel very welcome -- if you listed a preferred name on AMCAS, they'll make you two name tags with your preferred and legal names and let you choose which one to wear. Personally I loved that because I've always gone by a nickname (not even my family calls me by my legal name anymore) and this was the first school that really made an effort to respect people's preferred names. Overall, a very laidback and enjoyable day!

Reactions: 8 users
The interview day was one of the best I've had so far. One of the admissions people actually baked cookies and brought them to lunch for us. The admissions office also made everyone feel very welcome -- if you listed a preferred name on AMCAS, they'll make you two name tags with your preferred and legal names and let you choose which one to wear. Personally I loved that because I've always gone by a nickname (not even my family calls me by my legal name anymore) and this was the first school that really made an effort to respect people's preferred names. Overall, a very laidback and enjoyable day!
It's actually a long-running joke among Brown students that she bakes the cookies. She really doesn't ;) I was told that they always say that to the interviewees and then when those kids get in, they play the same joke on the next round of applicants.

• Haha
Get ready for the most relaxing day of your life. The second you walk in they're going to know you by name. It's a chill day and the cookies are amazing. Providence has a lot of great food. There are spots like Rebelle Bagels and PVDonuts. If you like bakeries try Seven Stars or Olga's Cup and Saucer (near the med school). Prospect Park is also cool - has a nice view of the city. Check out Thayer St: it's the main street for the Brown undergrad campus and has a lot of shops/food. You could also go to the RISD museum and see some art/the cafe in the RISD museum is amazing!

Not interviewing there because they hate non-BA/MD premeds from their own undergrad, but I can offer food recommendations.

PVDonuts is great, but really far from the med school. Try Knead donuts. Some people swear by one or the other, but Knead is only a 15 minute walk from the med school. A classic "tourist attraction" is the capitol building by the train station.

Thayer street is College Hill's food hub, but honestly nothing there will stick out too much. Classic college town choices. There's "fancier" food downtown/in federal hill closer to the med school. If you want any Asian food recommendations (or any other specific requests), hit me up! I've been here for too long now.

Reactions: 5 users
It's actually a long-running joke among Brown students that she bakes the cookies. She really doesn't ;) I was told that they always say that to the interviewees and then when those kids get in, they play the same joke on the next round of applicants.
Okay that actually makes me like the school more lol

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad here who would like to point out for posterity that Brown does not particularly hate its non-PLMEs, as myself and several others from atop the hill have interviewed here. As with any other school, perhaps they are simply particular about the kind of med students they wish to train?

• Wow
  • Haha
Undergrad here who would like to point out for posterity that Brown does not particularly hate its non-PLMEs, as myself and several others from atop the hill have interviewed here. As with any other school, perhaps they are simply particular about the kind of med students they wish to train?
My whining is mostly in jest. Sorry if that didn't translate well over text!

I know that I'm not the type of med student that they're looking for, and that's fine. Different institutions definitely have different priorities, and for the most part, I've only received interviews where I believed that I could be a genuine fit.

I know that I'm not the type of med student that they're looking for, and that's fine. Different institutions definitely have different priorities, and for the most part, I've only received interviews where I believed that I could be a genuine fit.
I’m just curious but would you elaborate on your first sentence?

Also, you received a lot of interviews, I’m sure at least one of them showed interest in you for reasons other than mission fit. Whether they told you or not is a different story.

Also, you received a lot of interviews, I’m sure at least one of them showed interest in you for reasons other than mission fit. Whether they told you or not is a different story.
Not the person you’re asking but that person has high stats. Perhaps Alpert has different priorities compared to other schools that seem to highly value stats. Anyway, I’m confident they will end up somewhere that is a great fit for them.

Not the person you’re asking but that person has high stats. Perhaps Alpert has different priorities compared to other schools that seem to highly value stats. Anyway, I’m confident they will end up somewhere that is a great fit for them.
I second the "different priorities" part -- Alpert seemed to be very keen on interviewing people who had strong non-STEM backgrounds (at least based on the people I spoke to during my interview day), and the admissions director really emphasized that they were trying to build a tight-knit community, which makes me think they probably value community service more highly than other schools might. Either way, Enterococcus seems like a cool person and is having a fantastic cycle, so I'm sure they'll have their pick of schools that are an even better fit for them specifically

I second the "different priorities" part -- Alpert seemed to be very keen on interviewing people who had strong non-STEM backgrounds (at least based on the people I spoke to during my interview day), and the admissions director really emphasized that they were trying to build a tight-knit community, which makes me think they probably value community service more highly than other schools might. Either way, Enterococcus seems like a cool person and is having a fantastic cycle, so I'm sure they'll have their pick of schools that are an even better fit for them specifically
Yo where is my interview then, brown? Were you not impressed by my history as a pastry chef? What do I need to do to please you? :eyebrow:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha

What might've been more accurate was that I haven't received any interviews from places that prioritize service much more than research/etc. My academic background and experiences are pretty non-traditional for a "traditional" premed, so I think my profile can be polarizing. All schools I've received interviews at heavily prioritize research and innovation (and thus were likely more lenient in regard to service).

As for Brown itself, there are very few opportunities here (both the school, and Providence as a whole) where I can do what I'd like to do, and I've made doing "that" a large part of my narrative. I loved my time on College Hill, and I wouldn't have gone anywhere else for undergrad, but the disconnect (both spatial and figurative) between the medical school and the rest of Brown is very real. My PI himself (who is faculty at the medical school) tried to dissuade me from applying there because he didn't think I would be able to realize my goals here.

What might've been more accurate was that I haven't received any interviews from places that prioritize service much more than research/etc. My academic background and experiences are pretty non-traditional for a "traditional" premed, so I think my profile can be polarizing. All schools I've received interviews at heavily prioritize research and innovation (and thus were likely more lenient in regard to service).

As for Brown itself, there are very few opportunities here (both the school, and Providence as a whole) where I can do what I'd like to do, and I've made doing "that" a large part of my narrative. I loved my time on College Hill, and I wouldn't have gone anywhere else for undergrad, but the disconnect (both spatial and figurative) between the medical school and the rest of Brown is very real. My PI himself (who is faculty at the medical school) tried to dissuade me from applying there because he didn't think I would be able to realize my goals here.

So why are you applying? You can withdraw your application if you have decided it doesn’t suit you.
I see the Med school here very differently. It’s progressive, inclusive, and warm, just like the undergraduate experience. They have tremendous research even though they do prioritize primary care (and for example 121 students participated in their M1/M2 Med student symposium showing their research just this week... that’s almost half of the student body!). Their focus on wellness and student support is unparalleled from what I can see. No grades, collaborative. And their match list rivals any school so don’t judge it by USNWR. We all have different interests and are looking for different things. If you don’t favor this school and others are a better fit, then withdraw. Doesn’t sound like you would be happy here.

• Wow
  • Haha

Also if that’s your PI’s take on your “fit” then his sentiment may be the reason you haven’t gotten an interview... he may have expressed this to someone who asked or it may have shown through in his LOR.

So why are you applying? You can withdraw your application if you have decided it doesn’t suit you.
I see the Med school here very differently. It’s progressive, inclusive, and warm, just like the undergraduate experience. They have tremendous research even though they do prioritize primary care (and for example 121 students participated in their M1/M2 Med student symposium showing their research just this week... that’s almost half of the student body!). Their focus on wellness and student support is unparalleled from what I can see. No grades, collaborative. And their match list rivals any school so don’t judge it by USNWR. We all have different interests and are looking for different things. If you don’t favor this school and others are a better fit, then withdraw. Doesn’t sound like you would be happy here.
Maybe they have some conflicting feelings. On one hand, they enjoyed their undergraduate experience at the institution and would like the chance to stay. On the other, maybe they realize the medical school may not be the best fit for their professional goals. Both are legitimate feelings.

I applied because I'm pragmatic. If I were to interview, it wouldn't cost me anything extra. @EmbryonalCarcinoma got it pretty dead-on. I love Brown and the type of people Brown attracts. Everything you cite is great, and I'm happy you like it, but I haven't interviewed at a single school where I didn't hear those same praises. I applied to many schools that suit me to varying degrees, some more than Brown, some arguably less — the lack of predictability on an individual-school level really forces people to do that. I'm sure nobody applied to only schools that they loved 100% and would have zero qualms about. No school is perfect for everybody, or even anybody, and people are adaptable beings by nature.

Also if that’s your PI’s take on your “fit” then his sentiment may be the reason you haven’t gotten an interview... he may have expressed this to someone who asked or it may have shown through in his LOR.

My current PI didn't write on my behalf nor was the experience on my AMCAS since I joined his lab recently, and he didn't even know where I was applying until a few weeks ago.

Anyways, no use keeping this going. Good luck on your cycle and I hope you end up wherever suits you the best :)

Reactions: 6 users
I applied because I'm pragmatic. If I were to interview, it wouldn't cost me anything extra. @EmbryonalCarcinoma got it pretty dead-on. I love Brown and the type of people Brown attracts. Everything you cite is great, and I'm happy you like it, but I haven't interviewed at a single school where I didn't hear those same praises. I applied to many schools that suit me to varying degrees, some more than Brown, some arguably less — the lack of predictability on an individual-school level really forces people to do that. I'm sure nobody applied to only schools that they loved 100% and would have zero qualms about. No school is perfect for everybody, or even anybody, and people are adaptable beings by nature.

My current PI didn't write on my behalf nor was the experience on my AMCAS since I joined his lab recently, and he didn't even know where I was applying until a few weeks ago.

Anyways, no use keeping this going. Good luck on your cycle and I hope you end up wherever suits you the best :)

Yes I totally agree. Nothing is 100% perfect. But making negative comments about a school because we feel dissed could be hurtful to those who are really excited about that school... it is not in the spirit of SDNs supportive nature. I guess I felt triggered by the negativity here and on a couple other threads where you posted similar sentiment. I understand that you feel passed over by your own school— many of us are having the same experience. Maybe try to keep the critical comments about the place to a minimum as it may be hurtful to others. You have had some iis in places others here can only dream of, and to those who have put in the same hard work as you and have not been so successful it comes off as entitled. Sorry if I offended you. Did not mean to. Good luck with all your great opportunities you have!

Yes I totally agree. Nothing is 100% perfect. But making negative comments about a school because we feel dissed could be hurtful to those who are really excited about that school... it is not in the spirit of SDNs supportive nature. I guess I felt triggered by the negativity here and on a couple other threads where you posted similar sentiment. I understand that you feel passed over by your own school— many of us are having the same experience. Maybe try to keep the critical comments about the place to a minimum as it may be hurtful to others. You have had some iis in places others here can only dream of, and to those who have put in the same hard work as you and have not been so successful it comes off as entitled. Sorry if I offended you. Did not mean to. Good luck with all your great opportunities you have!

The truth of the matter is that we can only go to one school. In about 3 months, none of us will care about this and will be happily preparing for the next stage of this long journey. This process is a complete crapshoot on the individual school level. But as a whole, I think there's some sort of patterns based on one's profile, in terms of the range of schools where one will get II's and how many. No point to dwell on each individual school. My alma mater is ghosting me but I got II's at much more desirable places. I felt unloved but got over it lol.

Reactions: 6 users
anything? mini heart attacks every hour now...

nothing on my end - the wait is truly the worst

• Sad
I didn't want to post in the thread for fear of giving you guys more mini heart attacks. This silence is torture. I really wish I didn't tell my parents that today was the day because now they wont stop calling and texting me while I'm at work.

• Sad
I interviewed late Oct too and they said Nov 18. It was Nov 19 last year though...
Nov 19 of last year was a Monday. I interviewed on the first day of this cycle and they said Nov. 18