2019-2020 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you try looking at the dorms they offer? They reserve a couple dorms just for medical students. I was initially looking at apartments but then I saw how cheap the dorms were so I went with that option. I got a private room, a private bathroom, and two closets all for a little over a $1,000 per semester. So if you are in a rush, try to look into that!
Wow that is great! Did you contact Dr. Weir for the dorm option? I hope there are some dorm rooms left for the medical students...!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that is great! Did you contact Dr. Weir for the dorm option? I hope there are some dorm rooms left for the medical students...!
I actually contacted the housing department to see if dorms were available for medical students! Contact them and they should let you know! I chose the Futral Hall! Besides having a private room and bathroom, there is also laundry on each floor, a lounge on each floor, and elevator access. Plus, every room comes with a fridge, microwave, desk, chair, air conditioner, bed frame, and a mattress. And the room is about 230 square feet which is actually quite good compared to other dorms at different schools. For a little over $1,000 per semester, everything we get is actually ridiculously cheap lol. And if we want to stay during the breaks to do research or something, it's only $60 a week which is honestly nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually contacted the housing department to see if dorms were available for medical students! Contact them and they should let you know! I chose the Futral Hall! Besides having a private room and bathroom, there is also laundry on each floor, a lounge on each floor, and elevator access. Plus, every room comes with a fridge, microwave, desk, chair, air conditioner, bed frame, and a mattress. And the room is about 230 square feet which is actually quite good compared to other dorms at different schools. For a little over $1,000 per semester, everything we get is actually ridiculously cheap lol. And if we want to stay during the breaks to do research or something, it's only $60 a week which is honestly nothing.
Awesome! Thank you for the detailed information and advice!! I'm contacting them right now :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview offer yesterday. I accepted the offer. This will probably be for a waitlist spot since it is so late in the cycle. I have been reading about the location and the school. I was wondering is the area safe to live in especially for women. Is there any current female student that I can talk to about their experience?

I got an interview offer yesterday. I accepted the offer. This will probably be for a waitlist spot since it is so late in the cycle. I have been reading about the location and the school. I was wondering is the area safe to live in especially for women. Is there any current female student that I can talk to about their experience?

waitlist movement is super fast for some reason. not sure why. but do well on the interview and you'll make it in.

Reactions: 1 users

Hattiesburg is extremely safe.

Reactions: 4 users
Did you try looking at the dorms they offer? They reserve a couple dorms just for medical students. I was initially looking at apartments but then I saw how cheap the dorms were so I went with that option. I got a private room, a private bathroom, and two closets all for a little over a $1,000 per semester. So if you are in a rush, try to look into that!
yes, contacted them in may
Thank you! I hope Futral Hall is still available

I got accepted! I will be joining y'all in the class of 2024!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Hi! recently accepted. Does anyone know what lab work or other items we need to get completed from our PCP?

Hi! recently accepted. Does anyone know what lab work or other items we need to get completed from our PCP?
You should have received an email from Ms. LaDonna Davidson about it! Did you get anything from her?

You should have received an email from Ms. LaDonna Davidson about it! Did you get anything from her?
No, I have not. I was accepted Monday and I paid and submitted my forms on Tuesday. I was wondering because my appt with my PCP is this coming Monday. I wanted to get everything done before I expire out of my parent's insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I have not. I was accepted Monday and I paid and submitted my forms on Tuesday. I was wondering because my appt with my PCP is this coming Monday. I wanted to get everything done before I expire out of my parent's insurance.
Message me and I'll send you her email!

Do you know why Futral and Braswell are so much more expensive?

Do you know why Futral and Braswell are so much more expensive?
It is because everything is private. The other dorms I believe you have to either share a bathroom or have a roommate. So that's why the other dorms are cheaper. Everything about it is on the school website lol.

Just got an interview invite (for this cycle)...did anyone else? Also, reason for interviewing this late?

Reactions: 3 users
Do we actually need to purchase all the books they require? Is it just like how they "require" a bunch of equipment, but in reality all we need is just a stethoscope. I don't want to purchase a bunch of books if we end up just using the lecture notes...

Do we actually need to purchase all the books they require? Is it just like how they "require" a bunch of equipment, but in reality all we need is just a stethoscope. I don't want to purchase a bunch of books if we end up just using the lecture notes...

I recommend them, but I actually read them. A lot of my classmates did fine without doing so.

Absolutely not. Almost all classes pull test questions directly from the lecture notes, and the textbooks are just in case there is something in the lecture notes that needs clearing up. The one exception is Histology, that teacher will pull a few questions from the textbook that weren't anywhere in the notes, but it's like a max of 3 questions per exam. The histology book is great for slide images too though, so not a bad investment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
On the website it says 2 beds/ people per room for Davis and Futral, so does that mean for the medical students they've reserved them as private rooms?

On the website it says 2 beds/ people per room for Davis and Futral, so does that mean for the medical students they've reserved them as private rooms?
Yeah! The entire room is private for medical students!

Just got accepted!!! Can anyone link the Facebook page!

Hi there,

Like others, I was invited to interview late due to the pandemic situation and my own fault of applying late (I believe I completed my secondary back in March?). I'm really hopeful that the interview goes well, and that there is still room off of the wait-list.

For anyone else who has done a zoom interview, is there any chance you'd be willing to message me for advice? This will be my first online interview and I'm a tad nervous. As a Canadian my only experience was UBC's MMI style format. Is there anyone else who can shed light on movement off of the waitlist? I read the student handbook and saw that classes start August 3rd or so, which doesn't leave much time to organize housing, flights, etc but really hoping where there's a will there's a way.

Fingers crossed I get to call you my future classmates.

N

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there,

Like others, I was invited to interview late due to the pandemic situation and my own fault of applying late (I believe I completed my secondary back in March?). I'm really hopeful that the interview goes well, and that there is still room off of the wait-list.

For anyone else who has done a zoom interview, is there any chance you'd be willing to message me for advice? This will be my first online interview and I'm a tad nervous. As a Canadian my only experience was UBC's MMI style format. Is there anyone else who can shed light on movement off of the waitlist? I read the student handbook and saw that classes start August 3rd or so, which doesn't leave much time to organize housing, flights, etc but really hoping where there's a will there's a way.

N
It's a very casual interview. Be prepared to answer general questions about your decision to pursue medicine. They don't try to throw curveball questions at you.

Hi there,

N
It’s very chill; they’re super casual and are genuinely interested in getting to know you and why you’re interested in them and the field.

It's a very casual interview. Be prepared to answer general questions about your decision to pursue medicine. They don't try to throw curveball questions at you.

Thank you so very much. The interview was as you mentioned, straight forward and very general about my personal reasons for why Medicine, why DO, why WCU etc. I appreciate you answering me so thank you.

It’s very chill; they’re super casual and are genuinely interested in getting to know you and why you’re interested in them and the field.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me so last minute - it definitely helped relieve some stress going in. I haven't heard back yet but fingers crossed... especially since classes start in a little over a week.

Offer & accepted today! it'll be a whirlwind figuring out my CBC, F1 Visa, loans, flights, physical and accomodation etc in a mere ~10 days but I'm excited & humbled for the opportunity. See you all soon!

Reactions: 6 users
Can any current students confirm or deny the validity of there being a good chance at an interview if you receive a secondary here?

Can any current students confirm or deny the validity of there being a good chance at an interview if you receive a secondary here?
Definitely not a good chance. I know tons of people who got the secondary and never heard a word from them afterwards.

Definitely not a good chance. I know tons of people who got the secondary and never heard a word from them afterwards.

Thank you for clarifying. Many people on this forum say it’s a good chance since they only send secondaries to 25% of applicants and 80-90% that interview are accepted.

Did anyone on this thread that received a secondary here get a rejection without an interview?

Dr. Weir reached out to me and said that a review of my application had been done and that I have not been selected for an interview at this time but to be patient and he hopes to give me good news soon. From this email it seems as if I got the old post-secondary II hold. This is very saddening because I was really excited for this school. :(

Anyone get off the II hold? A little worried.

I haven't heard back at all since sending my secondary.

Dr. Weir reached out to me and said that a review of my application had been done and that I have not been selected for an interview at this time but to be patient and he hopes to give me good news soon. From this email it seems as if I got the old post-secondary II hold. This is very saddening because I was really excited for this school. :(

Anyone get off the II hold? A little worried.
Don't lose hope! I was placed on a pre-interview hold last cycle for a couple of months but I did eventually get an interview. Keep having patience! You are not out of consideration until they send you a rejection letter. As you have probably read on this thread already, if you received a secondary, that means they are HIGHLY interested in you. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

• Love
Submitted a secondary on 1/17 and got an interview for 2/5... I read the interviews are pretty laid back, hoping this is true !!