2021-2022 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary:
Do you believe the competitiveness (i.e. course requirements, experiences, academic performance, etc.) of your application for medical school has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic? If yes, please provide specifics as to how your competitiveness was impacted. If no, type “N/A”. (1500 characters)

The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation. Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question: (Scholarly Concentrations Program | USF Health) a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? (1500 characters, optional)

The USF Morsani College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but is not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research, and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine? (2000 characters
What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? Private Practice, Academic Medicine, Public Health, Health Care Administration, Health Policy, or Other. Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in the previous question. (1,500 characters)
If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)

Please choose one of the following options. For more information, copy and paste the corresponding URL which will bring you to a new webpage. You can find more information on the programs here: Educational Programs | USF Health Please select the MD program for which you would like to be considered.
  • Core program
  • SELECT program
  • Core and SELECT Program
If you have chosen the SELECT program or BOTH, please explain how your experiences and career goals match with the mission of the SELECT program. (MD SELECT Program | USF Health) (1500 characters)

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
IS early decision secondary received.

Not going to lie these essays got me spooked.

Reactions: 1 user
For the academic difficulties question, should we write N/A if we don't have anything that meets their definition of academic difficulties? It seems like you can't leave it blank otherwise you can't submit

OOS secondary received!

@PapaGuava

Do you believe the competitiveness (i.e. course requirements, experiences, academic performance, etc.) of your application for medical school has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic? If yes, please provide specifics as to how your competitiveness was impacted. If no, type “N/A”. (1500 characters)

The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation. Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question: (Scholarly Concentrations Program | USF Health) a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? (1500 characters, optional)

The USF Morsani College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but is not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research, and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine? (2000 characters)

If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)

Please choose one of the following options. For more information, copy and paste the corresponding URL which will bring you to a new webpage. You can find more information on the programs here: Educational Programs | USF Health Please select the MD program for which you would like to be considered.
  • Core program
  • SELECT program
  • Core and SELECT Program
If you have chosen the SELECT program or BOTH, please explain how your experiences and career goals match with the mission of the SELECT program. (MD SELECT Program | USF Health) (1500 characters)

Reactions: 1 users
For the academic difficulties question, should we write N/A if we don't have anything that meets their definition of academic difficulties? It seems like you can't leave it blank otherwise you can't submit

Right above the questions in the directions, it says "If the question does not apply to you, type "N/A"."

For the Florida residency form, what is our USF ID in the first section? I'm assuming I leave it blank, or does it mean our AMCAS number

I just submitted the secondary and it says something about "you need to submit a signed residency form...". I cannot find anywhere in the portal with this form or any place to upload it. Anybody else know?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the Florida residency form, what is our USF ID in the first section? I'm assuming I leave it blank, or does it mean our AMCAS number
I checked last year's thread and someone said when they uploaded the form, there were instructions to leave the USF ID blank. So I think we do leave it blank

I just submitted the secondary and it says something about "you need to submit a signed residency form...". I cannot find anywhere in the portal with this form or any place to upload it. Anybody else know?
Prewrite skill on 100

Another secondary invite well okay

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
here ya go friend: Residency Form - MCOM - USF IT Documentation System
the link was provided as part of the first page of instructions once you signed in, before getting to the essay page. i don't think this page is accessible after submitting :(

edit: i wasn't able to see a place to submit this form while completing the secondary, so i'm going to email it. if anyone knows where to submit this on their portal that'd be nice to know!

here ya go friend: Residency Form - MCOM - USF IT Documentation System
the link was provided as part of the first page of instructions once you signed in, before getting to the essay page. i don't think this page is accessible after submitting :(

edit: i wasn't able to see a place to submit this form while completing the secondary, so i'm going to email it. if anyone knows where to submit this on their portal that'd be nice to know!
Thank you! And I also didn’t see any place to submit documents either while filling out the secondary so I’m kind of confused.

Thank you! And I also didn’t see any place to submit documents either while filling out the secondary so I’m kind of confused.
May have to just email it to admissions so they can add it to your file. How did you fill out this part? My mac doesn’t let me edit it. I may just print it and upload as a pdf

LMAO secondary received (OOS)!! BUT ALSO what do you write for a few B-'s on your transcript... (uhhh I'm just stupid)?

May have to just email it to admissions so they can add it to your file. How did you fill out this part? My mac doesn’t let me edit it. I may just print it and upload as a pdf
I have an old macbook air and I opened it in preview! You can go to "tools > annotate > text" to add text boxes and you can also sign it through the app too

I have an old macbook air and I opened it in preview! You can go to "tools > annotate > text" to add text boxes and you can also sign it through the app too
Ah I’m dumb I was thinking how do I mark the check boxes but I can just put an X over it . Thank you !!!!

They just sent me another email with “next steps” which includes the residency doc stuff. So no need to email admissions!

They just sent me another email with “next steps” which includes the residency doc stuff. So no need to email admissions!
Oh yeah they included their email in this one. So I guess we email the residency doc to that ?

Oh yeah they included their email in this one. So I guess we email the residency doc to that ?
When I got an email like this I went back to the portal and I could upload the residency doc so try that before emailing it’s probably easier to deal with it that way.

What are you guys putting for current issue date and original issue date for your driver license ? What is that

What are you guys putting for current issue date and original issue date for your driver license ? What is that
Also confused about that. For driver's license and voter registration, I only see a current issue date.

halp! trying to do the residency form but got a little confused. i'm in state, def dependent on my parents. so i was filling out the residency form using my dad as the claimant and giving my dad's docs. now when uploading it i see that it says "MD applicants are considered independent for residency purposes. Supporting documentation should be yours."

so now i'm super confused? because i'm
I have the same question but since it specifically says that MD applicants are independent then I will check independent and give my documents

So... I was fully intending on filling out the form as an independent, no questions asked, but marking the box which very explicitly defines an independent as everything I am not feels a bit odd..

I am leaning towards ignoring the explanatory/identifying text and just blindly checking the independent box, but I was wondering if anyone else who has submitted/called and confirmed could give input (or just feed my confirmation bias)

So... I was fully intending on filling out the form as an independent, no questions asked, but marking the box which very explicitly defines an independent as everything I am not feels a bit odd..

I am leaning towards ignoring the explanatory/identifying text and just blindly checking the independent box, but I was wondering if anyone else who has submitted/called and confirmed could give input (or just feed my confirmation bias)
I dunno. Since you are actually signing the form, I question how smart it is to just ignore everything printed on it just because some text in bold on the website contradicts it. I'm with you, but will await further guidance before going forward. Since it's a state thing, I have a feeling the website is wrong and will be corrected.

Careful when you upload the USF residency form if you are using PDF text-boxes to fill it out. You can view it after you upload it to make sure the text boxes saved. It did not for me the first time - had to re-convert to PDF (mac user)

@neuriobioliogy
@LonelykingT

Last edited:
is anyone else's lease agreement not getting uploaded?

Hey, I mean like the file isnt uploading properly for me.
Check your browser and document requirements. Is it a pdf ? Maybe try google chrome. And maybe you been logged in too long

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

Private Practice

Academic Medicine

Public Health

Health Care Administration

Health Policy

Other

I'm having a hard time with this question. The emergency room would be public health when it's in a public hospital right? I understand most of them but when I research Public Health it is saying that it is more along the lines of of CDC and public health trends... I apologize if it is a stupid question, just looking for clarification.

Hi friends sorry if this is a dumb question. I used my voter registration and driver's license for the residency form. Do I have to upload pictures of them or is just putting the numbers in the form okay? Also should I be on the lookout for a confirmation email after I submit the secondary?

"The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life."

This diversity prompt is slightly different in that it didn't list sexual orientation/gender identity as one of the examples of diversity. In some of my other diversity prompts, I did discuss being a part of the LGBT+ community.
Will it be "safer" to write a more conservative diversity essay for USF?
Are there any current students and applicants familiar with the atmosphere of USF who can speak to their inclusivity?!

Hi friends sorry if this is a dumb question. I used my voter registration and driver's license for the residency form. Do I have to upload pictures of them or is just putting the numbers in the form okay? Also should I be on the lookout for a confirmation email after I submit the secondary?
I did the same, and I uploaded mine. I thought it was required but could be wrong. I received a confirmation email the next day.

Edit: Sorry, I was wrong about confirmation email. I did not receive one. Mixed it up for south bama @Dreaming_of_dreams

Last edited:
What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

Private Practice

Academic Medicine

Public Health

Health Care Administration

Health Policy

Other

I'm having a hard time with this question. The emergency room would be public health when it's in a public hospital right? I understand most of them but when I research Public Health it is saying that it is more along the lines of of CDC and public health trends... I apologize if it is a stupid question, just looking for clarification.
bumping this because I had the same question. I see myself most likely working at a public hospital/clinic and was unsure whether to select public health or other. I'm leaning towards public health?

"The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life."

This diversity prompt is slightly different in that it didn't list sexual orientation/gender identity as one of the examples of diversity. In some of my other diversity prompts, I did discuss being a part of the LGBT+ community.
Will it be "safer" to write a more conservative diversity essay for USF?
Are there any current students and applicants familiar with the atmosphere of USF who can speak to their inclusivity?!

M2 at USF here. No need to take a conservative approach, the school is very LGTBQ+ friendly. There are many members of my class that are part of that community and I'm not aware of any negative experiences. I'm not sure why they didn't include that as an example in the question, but it's probably just an oversight and I wouldn't interpret it as signal of anything.

I'm happy to answer questions from anyone about anything regarding USF, so feel free to message in this thread or privately. Good luck to everyone with your application cycle!

Is anyone else having an issue accessing the portal? When I click on the link it says "we are unable to authenticate you".

bumping this lol

@KnightDoc did you arrive at a decision? Thanks

Does anybody know what to put for the "Date Claimant began establishing legal FL residence", for the residency form, if I was born in Florida. Do I put when I turned 18 or maybe when I was born lol. I have no clue.

Does anybody know what to put for the "Date Claimant began establishing legal FL residence", for the residency form, if I was born in Florida. Do I put when I turned 18 or maybe when I was born lol. I have no clue.
Trace your lineage back to when your first family member moved to Florida, then put the date that they got their first utility bill. Also you’ll need to scan and send a copy of that bill as proof.

• Haha
OOS Secondary received this morning ! I was verified by AMCAS on July 2, so they maybe don't send them on the weekends if anyone was wondering. Good luck everyone :D

For the secondary, they removed the prompt from last year about which practice scenario do you imagine for your future medical career?