2021-2022 University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. Current MS3 here, finished pre-clinicals and Step 1 two months ago and just wrapped up my first rotation! I'm a double gator (undergrad and med school here). Feel free to ask me any questions either in the thread or through DM. I am happy to answer about anything and everything (curriculum, student body, rotations, boards, etc.) Good luck with applications!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
@Indianfatty96 Hi I am interested in DMing you a few questions, but it seems you have your settings set so I can't do that without your permission. Can you fix this?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Indianfatty96 Hi I am interested in DMing you a few questions, but it seems you have your settings set so I can't do that without your permission. Can you fix this?
I think I fixed this. Could you try now? Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll try something else!

Reactions: 1 user
1. If you are not a full-time student during this application cycle, in particular at any time between September 2021 and May 2022, please detail your current and planned activities below. (250-500 words)

2. At the core of our profession are attributes sometimes called the three C’s; Competence (clinical excellence), Caring (a genuine desire to help others or “other centeredness”) and Character (personal integrity and honesty). In order to grow in these areas, the best practitioners are able to reflect upon who they are as individuals (self-assessment) and allow these insights to shape how they develop as physicians. The relationships we develop with patients and colleagues are among the most rewarding aspects of being a physician and provide the theatre in which the 3 C’s are both learned and practiced. We therefore have 3 prompts designed to help you explore these important topics. The first, below, deals with self-assessment (no essay required), followed in the next section by two essay prompts.

Read the following description of introversion and extraversion from the Myers-Briggs foundation website. Most people, while seeing themselves to one degree or another in each description, are inclined towards either being introverted or extroverted. Both groups make wonderful physicians, but each personality type has some inherent strengths and weaknesses which need to be appreciated as individuals develop into practicing physicians. Indicate using the checklists below to what extent you see yourself as more of an extravert or an introvert.

Extraversion (E)​

I like getting my energy from active involvement in events and having a lot of different activities. I’m excited when I’m around people and I like to energize other people. I like moving into action and making things happen. I generally feel at home in the world. I often understand a problem better when I can talk out loud about it and hear what others have to say.

The following statements generally apply to me:

I am seen as "outgoing" or as a "people person."
I feel comfortable in groups and like working in them.
I have a wide range of friends and know lots of people.
I sometimes jump too quickly into an activity and don’t allow enough time to think it over.
Before I start a project, I sometimes forget to stop and get clear on what I want to do and why.

Introversion (I)​

I like getting my energy from dealing with the ideas, pictures, memories, and reactions that are inside my head, in my inner world. I often prefer doing things alone or with one or two people I feel comfortable with. I take time to reflect so that I have a clear idea of what I’ll be doing when I decide to act. Ideas are almost solid things for me. Sometimes I like the idea of something better than the real thing.

I am seen as "reflective" or "reserved."
I feel comfortable being alone and like things I can do on my own.
I prefer to know just a few people well.
I sometimes spend too much time reflecting and don’t move into action quickly enough.
I sometimes forget to check with the outside world to see if my ideas really fit the experience.

3. The medical profession is frequently described as being both a science and an art. One could summarize this by saying that patients must “be well cared for” (science) but they must also “feel well cared for” (art). We work to teach our students not only the scientific principles of medicine, but also the core values of medicine, often called “professionalism”. Toward this end we keep patients at the center of our education and often reflect on their stories with our students.

• The exciting advances in our understanding of the biological basis for disease have led to the emergence of a host of targeted therapies and amazing technologies improving the duration and quality of our patients’ lives. The better a physician knows his/her patient, the better decisions they will make together as they approach important healthcare related questions. This so-called shared decision-making model is one key feature of patient centered care. Practicing the art of medicine in this way yields a physician patient relationship (PPR) that is both therapeutic and mutually enriching. However, many of these same technologies have the unintended consequence of separating us from our patients, both literally and figuratively. In addition, the industrialization of medicine and use of electronic health records have led to a decrease in the time physicians spend with their patients further eroding the strength of the PPR.

At the UFCOM, we have many strategies to equip our students to preserve their own humanity and that of their patients. One of the most important is the ability to make connections with and get to know their patients. Frequently such connections are the first time students taste the joy of medical practice. A second grows from cultivating a grateful heart by attending to the many blessings in our lives rather than focusing on what is wrong. There is now a strong scientific basis for the importance of gratitude (https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_gratitude_changes_you_and_your_brain) but the ancients knew this from experience. For example, when mounting a legal defense for a friend, Cicero observed, “while I wish to be adorned with every virtue, yet there is nothing which I can esteem more highly than the being and appearing grateful. For this one virtue is not only the greatest, but is also the parent of all the other virtues.” A third is dedicated time to reflect individually and with colleagues upon one’s developing understanding of the profession.

Here are two such reflective essays from UFCOM students during their third year internal medicine clerkship which you should read carefully. One student sees each connection to a patient as like the individual brush strokes of an artist and the other sees gratitude in a patient with an incurable illness and is moved to gratitude in her own life. Reflect on both essays and then choose one and describe how the student grew from the experience. Then explain what you learned as a result of your reflection and how the lesson(s) will influence your future patient physician relationships.
4. The profession of medicine has always had an explicit contract with society about our expertise and competence but it also includes an important affirmation. Namely, that we will subordinate self-interest to patient interest when the needs of our patients require us to do so. This does not mean we do not take care of ourselves and one another, but it does mean we willingly take on risks to ourselves that many others would not. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought this commitment to light as many medical professionals are laboring on the front lines caring for the sick despite the potential dangers. When we consider medical practice and hence, medical education, one could ask what sorts of virtues or character traits equip young medical professionals for such a noble calling. Many come to mind including courage, compassion, intellectual honesty and integrity. But recently attention has been given to the ability to stay with a task or course even when one is tired, discouraged and the work is daunting and laborious. Terms such as “resilience”, “endurance”, “perseverance”, “determination” or “grit” describe this character trait. Dr. Angela Duckworth has explored this in detail in her book “Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance” (Angela Duckworth).

However, great concern has been raised by the 2018 book, The Coddling of the American Mind (The Coddling of the American Mind). In it, Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff, argue that modern trends in parenting, higher education and society are undermining development of these traits making them rarer and hence all the more important as we choose the future physicians for our society.

Below are a series of quotes related to this subject. Please read them, reflect on them and tell us about the places in your own life you have shown grit and perseverance.

5. Optional: If you think there is any additional information that would help the admissions committee in its review of your application, including any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19, please use the space below. (750)

Sorry guys did my best to format it.
“Do the things that interest you and do them with all your heart. Don't be concerned about whether people are watching you or criticizing you. The chances are that they aren't paying any attention to you. It's your attention to yourself that is so stultifying. But you have to disregard yourself as completely as possible. If you fail the first time then you'll just have to try harder the second time. After all, there's no real reason why you should fail. Just stop thinking about yourself.” -Eleanor Roosevelt, You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life
“As soon as possible, experts hungrily seek feedback on how they did. Necessarily, much of that feedback is negative. This means that experts are more interested in what they did wrong—so they can fix it—than what they did right. The active processing of this feedback is as essential as its immediacy.” -Angela Duckworth, Grit
“...grit grows as we figure out our life philosophy, learn to dust ourselves off after rejection and disappointment, and learn to tell the difference between low-level goals that should be abandoned quickly and higher-level goals that demand more tenacity. The maturation story is that we develop the capacity for long-term passion and perseverance as we get older.” -Angela Duckworth, Grit: Passion, Perseverance, and the Science of Success

Reactions: 1 users
1. If you are not a full-time student during this application cycle, in particular at any time between September 2021 and May 2022, please detail your current and planned activities below. (250-500 words)

2. At the core of our profession are attributes sometimes called the three C’s; Competence (clinical excellence), Caring (a genuine desire to help others or “other centeredness”) and Character (personal integrity and honesty). In order to grow in these areas, the best practitioners are able to reflect upon who they are as individuals (self-assessment) and allow these insights to shape how they develop as physicians. The relationships we develop with patients and colleagues are among the most rewarding aspects of being a physician and provide the theatre in which the 3 C’s are both learned and practiced. We therefore have 3 prompts designed to help you explore these important topics. The first, below, deals with self-assessment (no essay required), followed in the next section by two essay prompts.

Read the following description of introversion and extraversion from the Myers-Briggs foundation website. Most people, while seeing themselves to one degree or another in each description, are inclined towards either being introverted or extroverted. Both groups make wonderful physicians, but each personality type has some inherent strengths and weaknesses which need to be appreciated as individuals develop into practicing physicians. Indicate using the checklists below to what extent you see yourself as more of an extravert or an introvert.

Extraversion (E)​

I like getting my energy from active involvement in events and having a lot of different activities. I’m excited when I’m around people and I like to energize other people. I like moving into action and making things happen. I generally feel at home in the world. I often understand a problem better when I can talk out loud about it and hear what others have to say.

I am seen as "outgoing" or as a "people person."
I feel comfortable in groups and like working in them.
I have a wide range of friends and know lots of people.
I sometimes jump too quickly into an activity and don’t allow enough time to think it over.
Before I start a project, I sometimes forget to stop and get clear on what I want to do and why.

Introversion (I)​

I like getting my energy from dealing with the ideas, pictures, memories, and reactions that are inside my head, in my inner world. I often prefer doing things alone or with one or two people I feel comfortable with. I take time to reflect so that I have a clear idea of what I’ll be doing when I decide to act. Ideas are almost solid things for me. Sometimes I like the idea of something better than the real thing.

I am seen as "reflective" or "reserved."
I feel comfortable being alone and like things I can do on my own.
I prefer to know just a few people well.
I sometimes spend too much time reflecting and don’t move into action quickly enough.
I sometimes forget to check with the outside world to see if my ideas really fit the experience.

3. The medical profession is frequently described as being both a science and an art. One could summarize this by saying that patients must “be well cared for” (science) but they must also “feel well cared for” (art). We work to teach our students not only the scientific principles of medicine, but also the core values of medicine, often called “professionalism”. Toward this end we keep patients at the center of our education and often reflect on their stories with our students.

• The exciting advances in our understanding of the biological basis for disease have led to the emergence of a host of targeted therapies and amazing technologies improving the duration and quality of our patients’ lives. The better a physician knows his/her patient, the better decisions they will make together as they approach important healthcare related questions. This so-called shared decision-making model is one key feature of patient centered care. Practicing the art of medicine in this way yields a physician patient relationship (PPR) that is both therapeutic and mutually enriching. However, many of these same technologies have the unintended consequence of separating us from our patients, both literally and figuratively. In addition, the industrialization of medicine and use of electronic health records have led to a decrease in the time physicians spend with their patients further eroding the strength of the PPR.

At the UFCOM, we have many strategies to equip our students to preserve their own humanity and that of their patients. One of the most important is the ability to make connections with and get to know their patients. Frequently such connections are the first time students taste the joy of medical practice. A second grows from cultivating a grateful heart by attending to the many blessings in our lives rather than focusing on what is wrong. There is now a strong scientific basis for the importance of gratitude (https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_gratitude_changes_you_and_your_brain) but the ancients knew this from experience. For example, when mounting a legal defense for a friend, Cicero observed, “while I wish to be adorned with every virtue, yet there is nothing which I can esteem more highly than the being and appearing grateful. For this one virtue is not only the greatest, but is also the parent of all the other virtues.” A third is dedicated time to reflect individually and with colleagues upon one’s developing understanding of the profession.

Here are two such reflective essays from UFCOM students during their third year internal medicine clerkship which you should read carefully. One student sees each connection to a patient as like the individual brush strokes of an artist and the other sees gratitude in a patient with an incurable illness and is moved to gratitude in her own life. Reflect on both essays and then choose one and describe how the student grew from the experience. Then explain what you learned as a result of your reflection and how the lesson(s) will influence your future patient physician relationships.
4. The profession of medicine has always had an explicit contract with society about our expertise and competence but it also includes an important affirmation. Namely, that we will subordinate self-interest to patient interest when the needs of our patients require us to do so. This does not mean we do not take care of ourselves and one another, but it does mean we willingly take on risks to ourselves that many others would not. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought this commitment to light as many medical professionals are laboring on the front lines caring for the sick despite the potential dangers. When we consider medical practice and hence, medical education, one could ask what sorts of virtues or character traits equip young medical professionals for such a noble calling. Many come to mind including courage, compassion, intellectual honesty and integrity. But recently attention has been given to the ability to stay with a task or course even when one is tired, discouraged and the work is daunting and laborious. Terms such as “resilience”, “endurance”, “perseverance”, “determination” or “grit” describe this character trait. Dr. Angela Duckworth has explored this in detail in her book “Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance” (Angela Duckworth).

However, great concern has been raised by the 2018 book, The Coddling of the American Mind (The Coddling of the American Mind). In it, Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff, argue that modern trends in parenting, higher education and society are undermining development of these traits making them rarer and hence all the more important as we choose the future physicians for our society.

Below are a series of quotes related to this subject. Please read them, reflect on them and tell us about the places in your own life you have shown grit and perseverance.

5. Optional: If you think there is any additional information that would help the admissions committee in its review of your application, including any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19, please use the space below. (750)

Sorry guys did my best to format it.
thank you! What are the word counts on 3 and 4?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone filled out the Activities section on the Professional Schools application? The instructions at the top of the page say "List how you have spent or plan to spend your time before entering UF (employment, travel, military, etc) while not enrolled in college." I am a rising senior I am confused as to what I should fill out. Should I just put the activities from AMCAS or leave it blank?

Has anyone filled out the Activities section on the Professional Schools application? The instructions at the top of the page say "List how you have spent or plan to spend your time before entering UF (employment, travel, military, etc) while not enrolled in college." I am a rising senior I am confused as to what I should fill out. Should I just put the activities from AMCAS or leave it blank?
I’m going to put that im a rising senior and then just talk about what I’ve done over the summers when not in school I think. But like I said I’m def gonna make it clear that I’ve been a full time student the whole time

I’m going to put that im a rising senior and then just talk about what I’ve done over the summers when not in school I think. But like I said I’m def gonna make it clear that I’ve been a full time student the whole time
I ended up just putting the most relevant 10 activities from AMCAS

When adding colleges on the first part of the application, are we supposed to include dual enrollment schools as well and just put no degree?

I think I fixed this. Could you try now? Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll try something else!
Hey, it says you don't allow people to see your profile. I️ tried a DM but it would not allow me.

Hey, it says you don't allow people to see your profile. I️ tried a DM but it would not allow me.
Hey buddy, I set my privacy settings now to allow "members" to start conversations with me. Let me know if it allows you to start a conversation with me now. Otherwise, I'll just shoot you a message. Sorry about that.

Where did you indicate that you are a rising senior? I have the same problem?

If I am a re-applicant, will I be able to use my same UF ID from last year?
Yes but you have to email them so they can pull out the application from last year. I think the information was in the email.

Hey! I am a reapplicant and submitted everything a couple of weeks ago, but haven't gotten any email about paying a fee. I did email the admissions office about the professional school application and they said they would get back to me, but I haven't heard anything since. Should I do anything? or just leave it as it is?

Hey! I am a reapplicant and submitted everything a couple of weeks ago, but haven't gotten any email about paying a fee. I did email the admissions office about the professional school application and they said they would get back to me, but I haven't heard anything since. Should I do anything? or just leave it as it is?
i believe that if you requested your professional school app to be rolled over from last year, you do not have to pay the fee again this year. i am not sure how to confirm that the professional school app was actually carried over, however, as i am wondering the same thing. my MyAdmissions page still says that my professional app has been received for Fall 2021, so I am assuming that should update once it has been carried over 🤔

I got the call earlier today for an II! So pumped! I was also told that all UF interviews are held on Fridays, so just FYI. :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Just got an interview invite. My first one!!!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Do any current students have interview advice? This is my first interview this cycle

Reactions: 1 user
3.98 sGPA, 3.99 oGPA, UF undergrad, 508 MCAT, 69 lizzy
Complete 7/24
Congrats! Was wondering how you answered q3 of the secondary without repeating yourself. The question is multiple parts: describe how the student grew from the experience and then explain what you learned as a result of your reflection. I feel like the take away is the same so I'm not sure how to go about this. TIA!

OOS MD/PhD interview invite received today!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Was wondering how you answered q3 of the secondary without repeating yourself. The question is multiple parts: describe how the student grew from the experience and then explain what you learned as a result of your reflection. I feel like the take away is the same so I'm not sure how to go about this. TIA!
Hey! Not sure if you got your answer but I also received an interview to UF so I can share my approach without going too in-depth.

What I did was first frame how the student responded to the experience and then picked out one or two experiences from own life that matched the student's. If that makes sense lol. It's going to sound repetitive when you write it, but it depends how you approach it.

To put it another way, the first half of the response was my interpretations of the student's take-away and the second half of the response was my own experiences in which I had a similar take-away.

Hope that helps!!

Last edited: