Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup..will be there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My 2/6 spot will be open really soon here; just waiting for the system to reflect a manual over-ride on behalf of the adcom. Look out for an open 2/6 date this afternoon/evening.

II for mid-December.

Looking for a January or Dec slot, I have February 13

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the wait-list moves before March, When I interviewed in September I thought they said they start looking at it after December, which makes sense.

I'm also most likely giving up my seat here, so best of luck to all of you that are wait-listed! Don't give up hope because there's a large probability that you'll get called off, especially mid cycle.

Happy Turkey Day

any one have their application paperwork complete 11/17 or around that and hear back about a secondary?

any one have their application paperwork complete 11/17 or around that and hear back about a secondary?

They are very busy processing completed applications right now. I was complete at the end of October and it took a few weeks to get my II even though I'm an in state applicant. All things considered, it might be a while before you get a secondary app.

How long does it usually take for LORs to be uploaded? ACOM has had my supplemental since 11/17, I sent my letters the same day but they are still not showing up. Think I should give them a call?

How long does it usually take for LORs to be uploaded? ACOM has had my supplemental since 11/17, I sent my letters the same day but they are still not showing up. Think I should give them a call?

If it weren't for the holiday, I would have called yesterday. I think calling tomorrow (after 2 weeks) is totally acceptable. I called every week after my app was complete, and they totally welcomed my due diligence.

If it weren't for the holiday, I would have called yesterday. I think calling tomorrow (after 2 weeks) is totally acceptable. I called every week after my app was complete, and they totally welcomed my due diligence.

Thanks! I'll give them a call Monday.

Does anyone know if this is the address for the Comfort Inn referred to in the pre-interview email?

Comfort Suites
www.comfortsuites.com
Google+ page -
2227 East Main Street
Dothan, AL, 36302

There are two Comfort Inns, and neither one is exactly 1 mile from campus according to MapQuest.

Last edited:
I stayed at the one at 2227 East Main Street. The hotel is really close to the school and ACOM sends a shuttle to the hotel. Also, they have fresh baked cookies at the front desk :)

I stayed at the one at 2227 East Main Street. The hotel is really close to the school and ACOM sends a shuttle to the hotel. Also, they have fresh baked cookies at the front desk :)
That is the right hotel, then! Thanks so much. So unbelievably excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Snagged a Dec 12 slot this morning! Don't lose hope on getting an earlier date!

Does anyone know when the adcoms meet?

Whats the class size for this cycle? And has anyone who's interview know how this school feels about undergraduate research on your application?

Last edited:
Whats the class size for this cycle? And has anyone who's interview know how this school feels about undergraduate research on your application?

I was asked about my research, but thats because I research in virology and my interview was during the height of the infamous ebola in the media. Although the majority of the part of the conversation was tailored to what I thought about ebola.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for all the questions... ha. How do y'all think Auburn VCOM accepting students this cycle will affect ACOM's # of acceptances/wait list movement for the year?

Sorry for all the questions... ha. How do y'all think Auburn VCOM accepting students this cycle will affect ACOM's # of acceptances/wait list movement for the year?

ACOM isn't exactly begging for students; they get 3,000+ applicants per year, and that number is growing. I doubt they will alter the number of acceptances.

Regarding your research question above: If your research is a prominent part of your application, you should find a way to bring it up even if not asked. I sure as heck will, even though they're not really a research-oriented school.

Just now submitting my primary. I hope I'm not too late!!! (3.6, 27).

Well, crap.
They most likely will still open more interview spots through April is my guess. Also..I am sure upto 50% of the interview spots filled will open up as people decide to attend elsewhere.

They most likely will still open more interview spots through April is my guess. Also..I am sure upto 50% of the interview spots filled will open up as people decide to attend elsewhere.

Thank you for the optimism! Hope you're right

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I also got an II from ACOM slotted for feb 20th. I have a 2.98 gpa and a 30 MCAT, > 7000 hours of critical care experience and lots of volunteering including international missions. Could you comment on what my chances of getting an acceptance here. I appreciate the Input.

Hey guys, I also got an II from ACOM slotted for feb 20th. I have a 2.98 gpa and a 30 MCAT, > 7000 hours of critical care experience and lots of volunteering including international missions. Could you comment on what my chances of getting an acceptance here. I appreciate the Input.

They are very much interested in whether or not students can succeed in the classroom and pass the board exams. They will feel comfortable with your 30 MCAT, but you'll have to explain--and have a real good reason for--your 2.98GPA. Your experience is a plus, but they don't want to set you up for failure in the classroom. Think of the interview as an opportunity to convince them that you can succeed academically. If you can do that, you probably stand a decent chance.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Getting nervous right about now! Most important interview of our lives...

The good news is that you should have a decision before the holidays. :)

Pulling for you ... keep us posted.

BTW, are you SEC or ACC? HAHA!

War Eagle...

Do the adcoms have to meet to decide if you get an interview?

Do the adcoms have to meet to decide if you get an interview?

No. The committee meets to make admissions decisions. Invites are are the discretion of the Admissions Director, Associate/Assistant Admissions Director, and sometimes the Dean of Admissions.

Thanks guys! It'll be good. Feeling more ready. Packed for the road trip. Will let y'all know how it goes!

Last edited:
Accepted. Interviewed on 11/21. Got the call today.

MCAT 25 (10, 5, 10, retake 9, 7, 9). ~3.5 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA. No scientific research. Scribe for the past 2 years. I pretty much want to be a doctor to serve underserved communities and that is basically what I talked to my interviewers about--no academics were mentioned at all. They said right at the beginning of my interview, "We know you have what it takes to be a good medical student; we want to know if you will be a good physician, and there is a big difference between the two."

Very enjoyable and pleasant interview day. Loved the facility, faculty, the students, the group I interviewed with (if you guys were accepted, PM me!), the curriculum, and the region/city. So excited to start! :)

To everyone else still waiting to hear back from ACOM and even other schools--keep at it and be genuine. Academics are only one part of an application. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Reactions: 9 users
Booked hotel today. Who else is interviewing on the 12th?

Hey everyone! I am giving up my Jan 23rd Interview spot. Hopefully one of you will get it!

What do current students think about the mandatory attendance/dress code policy here?