Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just thinking...

If we get a phone call about being accepted from the wait list at the last minute, e.g. during orientation, how are we going to be able to find housing so quickly? If we are relying on financial aid for said housing, how does that work? How does ACOM work with students who are accepted so close to the first day of class?

If anyone can answer my questions/concerns on here, great! If not, I will find some answers another way and share them with my fellow waitlisters.

I'd file that under "just another drop in the bucket" in the grand scheme of med school debt... What's another few hundred dollars of credit card expenses/debt for a weeks worth of hotel stay?

As for how ACOM works with students being accepted so late I am not too sure. Hell, I'd live out of my car or a uhual truck for the time being if I needed to. One thing that I do know is that I would be present on day 1

Members don't see this ad.

I got a phone call yesterday, and I've been accepted from the wait list!

As far as how ACOM works with students at the last minute, they have been very helpful already so if anyone has an ounce of anxiety about that like I did, please don't worry!

Reactions: 3 users
I got a phone call yesterday, and I've been accepted from the wait list!

As far as how ACOM works with students at the last minute, they have been very helpful already so if anyone has an ounce of anxiety about that like I did, please don't worry!

Congrats!! I was starting to contemplate beginning the new application since you know, orientation is only 2 weeks away...but there is renewed hope! I think 2 weeks gives you enough time to not have live out of your car right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! I was starting to contemplate beginning the new application since you know, orientation is only 2 weeks away...but there is renewed hope! I think 2 weeks gives you enough time to not have live out of your car right?
Definitely lol. Don't give up quite yet :) I hope to see you soon!

I am afraid I won't be starting medical in the right state of mind to be as successful as I could be if I had another year. I want to ask to defer but it was past the 60 day requirement when I was accepted, but I’ve always been the "it never hurts to ask" type and if they say no then the plan is the same, but if they say yes I have an entire year to prepare and save and will be in a better place financially and emotionally. Anyway... if there are any ACOM students who can speak to this or give me some advice it would be so appreciate it! Also wondering if anyone thinks asking would cause them to be like "never mind! JK!" and take away my acceptance? !
You will not be penalized for asking. I know of one student who did successfully get a deferral. However, this student might be the exception to the rule. Nonetheless, it is OK to ask.
Anyone think its a waste to bring old textbooks? Debating on if my undergrad books are a joke...
Nope, don't need them. You will likely never crack one open even if you had your whole library. Wait til you get here, talk to 2nd years, and get the atlas supplied by SOMA during orientation week - it's the one used in our anatomy lab.

Hey all,
excited that I got a call back two weeks before the start of orientation!
Now I just need a roommate. Anyone living at Summerfield square and need a roomie?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,
excited that I got a call back two weeks before the start of orientation!
Now I just need a roommate. Anyone living at Summerfield square and need a roomie?

daggerrrrr I'm still cautiously optimistic to be getting a call! Congrats nonetheless!!

Don't loose hope. I heard of someone who got accepted a day after orientation. I'll advise to get the ball rolling and start next year's application.

Don't loose hope. I heard of someone who got accepted a day after orientation. I'll advise to get the ball rolling and start next year's application.

I've got the ball rolling, but it seems to be rolling up hill and through mud at the moment...transcripts are taking foreverrr to process which means I'm not even able to start the 4 week "verification" process... hopefully someone who really doesn't want to go to ACOM gives up their spot for someone who really wants to be at ACOM(myself) and this next application preparation is all for naught

Quick question: What font size did you guys use for your secondary? If I use 10, my stuff fits in one page. But if I use 12... it's about a page and a half and I don't wanna cut the good stuff out mannnn

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember right the max was two pages. But honestly I wrote so many idk which is which anymore

I just looked at mine from last year. I used size 12 font. Remember, "Brevity is the soul of wit". Or, " Less is more". Good luck!

Haha mine was literally 3/4 of a page and I was worried I wrote too little and I'd be rejected... But alas I got my first acceptance on my 23rd bday. Great present even saved the voicemail ha

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, i need some advice, perhaps some common sense knocked into me.

I got accepted to ACOM but i have to tell them if i am going by Monday. I have not gotten any other acceptances. I have already re-submitted my application to AMCAS and AACOMAS and have gotten 2 secondaries. My application is MUCH stronger this year. Before, i did not have any LORs from a clinical experience but i do now, i didnt have ANY patient exposure, but i do now, and i have been working in a genetics lab full-time for 6 months.

Should i just go to ACOM or should i try again? ACOM is nice, but it is far away from my family and not what i imagined.

From what i can tell, my biggest black mark is a C- in one of my Organic chemistry classes (I do have a biochem class that could take its place for some schools). my GPA is 3.3 and my science GPA is 3.07, i got a 32 on the MCAT

I got accepted to ACOM but i have to tell them if i am going by Monday. I have not gotten any other acceptances. I have already re-submitted my application to AMCAS and AACOMAS and have gotten 2 secondaries. My application is MUCH stronger this year. Before, i did not have any LORs from a clinical experience but i do now, i didnt have ANY patient exposure, but i do now, and i have been working in a genetics lab full-time for 6 months.

Should i just go to ACOM or should i try again? ACOM is nice, but it is far away from my family and not what i imagined.

From what i can tell, my biggest black mark is a C- in one of my Organic chemistry classes (I do have a biochem class that could take its place for some schools). my GPA is 3.3 and my science GPA is 3.07, i got a 32 on the MCAT

It really depends if you're willing to take that risk. I have good reason to believe that you WILL get into a D.O. program somewhere (ACOM may not be what you imagined, but I know plenty of kids with a 3.6 and a 30+ MCAT that ended up at D.O. schools; it was not what they imagined too).

I had to choose between ACOM and NSUCOM. I ended up going with NSUCOM because I live in Davie, FL.

Your MCAT is good, but your Sci GPA is a flag. I really liked ACOM and I believe that I would have been happy there.

Its up to you. If you're young and don't mind spending another year (and if you're flush with cash) go for it.

Good luck!

First of all, congrats on the acceptance! Secondly, I completely understand ur dilemma. I think the real question here is if ur in a rush to get started. If so, then go ahead and accept the offer. I understand that it may be far from home, but what's two years? It'll go by so quickly you won't even notice it. On the other hand, if you don't mind putting it off anothe year, than honestly, based on the additions to ur application and your mcat score, I strongly believe u will get into DO school this time around. BUT...you must make sure to send in any secondary you revive along with your letters within a day or two... Timing is crucial! If I were you, I'd apply again. But then again, that's just me:)

Thanks for the responses. So the ochem C- is not a deal breaker? I was worried about it my first set of applications and now am practically paralyzed to decide because of it.

Also, why is it only 2 years? I thought the 3rd year was in Alabama, and then 4th mostly in alabama but you could try to get rotations out of state.

Take it and run haha. Schools a school at this point. The lost potential income is too great of a risk

Honestly you won't have time to visit your family anyways. Lastly there is no reason to reapply to just attend a different DO school. Reputation among DO doesn't really matter. The only reason you should take another crack at admissions instead of taking ACOM is if you want MD and honestly you don't have a good chance at that due to gpa

I look at it like this. If you start school a year sooner... you graduate, finish residency, and eventually start working as a doctor a year sooner. Are you willing to give up that extra 150k + for that extra years income to wait for a school closer to home? I agree with a previous comment also, I actually did better studying when doing a post-bac at a med school across the country because I didn't have the friends/family distracting me every night. With your stats I am sure you can get in other D.O. schools this next year if you apply early, but is it worth the risk? You have a for sure acceptance in your hand.

But... everyone's different and if your young enough and not worried about that extra income and feel like you'd do better being close to home that's a valid concern.

TAKE IT AND RUN@!# You heard him folks.
I am quite certain, that no patient will care if you are DO or MD. Especially with the ACGME taking over and merging the DO et MD residency into one.
All patients do not care about the medical school you attended aswell. Well, 99.889273% do not.
Honestly, they have better things to worry about.

Thanks for the responses. So the ochem C- is not a deal breaker? I was worried about it my first set of applications and now am practically paralyzed to decide because of it.

Also, why is it only 2 years? I thought the 3rd year was in Alabama, and then 4th mostly in alabama but you could try to get rotations out of state.

Yea, 2 years at the school and 2 years around the state/region. Thats how it is in most places. Your MCAT will more than balance out your GPA, and you should have a good shot at most DO schools and a number of MD schools. If you believe your app will be worlds apart from what it was last cycle, I'd say go for it, but if you think it's only mildly better then you're better off sticking with the sure acceptance.

Contrary to what everyone else says, you are only getting one year of salary by postponing. So in reality you need to ask yourself if one year of salary 7+ years from now is worth you spending 4 years of your life away from your family in a place you don't necessarily want to be while in your young adult life.

ACOM is a really great school, but if you didn't feel at home here then you're better off applying again. I only say that because if you aren't satisfied with the school or location you're at, your grades will suffer and you run the risk of dropping out because of that. It's a slippery slope, so whatever you decide to do, make sure you're "all in."

Good luck!

Take your acceptance. You do not want to explain why you turned down a previous medical school acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users

Sooooo, has your soul searching brought you to a decision?

Reactions: 2 users
Wonder if there has been any movement on the waitlist recently. Although, I've pretty much lost hope

We just finished a week of orientation, so I'm pretty sure we're done. I think they said we were full

We're currently at 175 students for OMS-1. I don't want to say its impossible, but you guys/gals should really focus on your application for the 2015-16 cycle. Best of luck to all! :xf:

How is the quality of omm training. I ask because I am interested in obtaining a proficiency in this field of study.

Also, does this school emphasize omm more than Touro University, California?

Lastly, I understand that there are a wide variety of omm techniques. I was wondering what this school focuses on more, cranial, counterstrain, muscle energy, ?