Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for other accepted students. According to certified profile, ACOM is requiring "2 varicella vaccinations AND titers showing IgG." It is a bit weird to require vaccinations for chicken pox if you have had it as a child and titers would prove immunity (regardless of if we even had chicken pox or not). I called certified profile, they said titers prove immunity, and I said exactly so why would I get 2 vaccinations ($300 at Walgreen's) if I already had chicken pox.... even the representative was pretty shocked that we would need vaccinations even if titers would prove immunity. She recommended asking the school directly, I've tried calling Friday and again today and no answer.... anyone have any insight?

Also, we are required to get a physical exam, but I haven't seen an exam form anywhere, and my doctor's office doesn't have a standard "exam form" to give patients. Any ideas?

Ya unless this is a change from last year. We only needed titers or the Vaccine. I also had chicken pox as a child but my titers were not high enough so I needed to get a boost vaccination. Also$ 300 is a lot! I would see if you have a vaccination clinic where you live that is cheaper. Colleges sometimes will give them in their health clinics for students.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview invite but my stats are MCAT 16 GPA 3.5. I have tons of clinical experience and did research in undergrad. I did a semester of NP school, but decided I wanted more. Should I even sign up for an interview spot?
When were you complete if you don't mind my asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to panic now. I was complete on 1/7 and have heard nothing.
With the surge in applications it could be taking a while to fully process and review them all. Just for reference, I received my application is complete email on 12/15 and was extended an ii on 1/20.

With the surge in applications it could be taking a while to fully process and review them all. Just for reference, I received my application is complete email on 12/15 and was extended an ii on 1/20.
Okay. Excellent. I just heard that I would hear within 2 weeks 2 weeks ago.

Just Received II few minutes ago..

Reactions: 1 users
Question for other accepted students. According to certified profile, ACOM is requiring "2 varicella vaccinations AND titers showing IgG." It is a bit weird to require vaccinations for chicken pox if you have had it as a child and titers would prove immunity (regardless of if we even had chicken pox or not). I called certified profile, they said titers prove immunity, and I said exactly so why would I get 2 vaccinations ($300 at Walgreen's) if I already had chicken pox.... even the representative was pretty shocked that we would need vaccinations even if titers would prove immunity. She recommended asking the school directly, I've tried calling Friday and again today and no answer.... anyone have any insight?

Also, we are required to get a physical exam, but I haven't seen an exam form anywhere, and my doctor's office doesn't have a standard "exam form" to give patients. Any ideas?

I am quite confused by this also. I send Robert Willis an email and I am waiting to hear back.

@AlphaDoC87 and @DO2015CA , I emailed Mr. Willis and he emailed me a Physical Examination form and confirmed that we need vaccinations or titers. Uploaded the Physical Examination form for anyone else that may need it. See you guys this August!

Attachments

• Physical-Examination-Form.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 81
Members don't see this ad :)
@AlphaDoC87 and @DO2015CA , I emailed Mr. Willis and he emailed me a Physical Examination form and confirmed that we need vaccinations or titers. Uploaded the Physical Examination form for anyone else that may need it. See you guys this August!

Thank you for this so much! Glad I just went for the titers instead of paying $300 for the shots, hoping it would be good enough :)

Ah! Thanks!! I wish I would have seen this earlier today before my PCP visit! Time to make another visit to the office to drop off the form.

Fairly new to SDN... Received an Interview Invite 2 days ago! So excited for this school!!!:)

So my Gpa is 3.42 science gpa 3.49. MCAT 28 (10,8,10). Louisiana resident. Approximately 450 hours of volunteer time in a free clinic. Combined total of 1 year of vet office experience. 6 months paid time in a GP private practice. About 60 hours of shadowing(MD). I interview here March 13th.

Anyone care to foreshadow my outcome?lol

So my Gpa is 3.42 science gpa 3.49. MCAT 28 (10,8,10). Louisiana resident. Approximately 450 hours of volunteer time in a free clinic. Combined total of 1 year of vet office experience. 6 months paid time in a GP private practice. About 60 hours of shadowing(MD). I interview here March 13th.

Good chance got in with similar but less stats!! Gl with the interview

For those attending ACOM next year which school did you choose ACOM over and why ?

For current students at ACOM:
Does anatomy run concurrently with other courses in the first semester or is there a dedicated block. If any one could give a comprehensive breakdown of how the curriculum is presented, it will be greatly appreciated.

Your 1st semester you take anatomy and molecular (micro, immunology) along side OPP, clinical skills, and foundations, a biostats course. It's 5 courses and it is a lot. After the 1st semester you're into the blocks, and you take OPP, clinical skills and that block (Neuro, cardio, GI ). It's no less of a workload, but it is more condensed.

Funny, I have freakishly similar stats to you, except that I live in NY. For both of our sake, I hope we both get in! I interview on 2/20. I'm very excited to see what this school has to offer. So far, so good!

Reactions: 1 user

From Louisiana too, we interview together and I have very similar stats.

Interviewing on Friday, Feb. 20th. Anyone else interviewing that day as well?

Reactions: 1 user
WCUCOM or ACOM?

There is a thread already for WCUCOM vs. ACOM or LMU. I would read this thread for the WCUCOM side. There are pros and cons but IMHO I believe ACOM will be more advantageous due to the rotations. Then again I could be biased because I chose ACOM :p

~Cheers! and congrats on the choice

Is ACOM still interviewing for open seats or wait list now?

If interviews are dropped will we see it on the scheduling website? Trying to get an earlier interview.

I was offering interview for tomorrow. I wasn't going but no one offered to pick it

Withdrawing from waitlist. Good luck guys! ACOM was very cool to see, and I know you will enjoy those PCOM style simulator labs (step 2 ought to be a breeze).

If anyone ends up dropping their interview, please let me know. Looking for an earlier interview!

Just got an email... Waitlisted... 3rd wait list so far... It should be my middle name

Had my Interview on the Feb 6th and received an acceptance email today! Anybody have pros/cons of this school vs. CUCOM?

Reactions: 4 users
So, I had my interview today, and I have nothing but praise for this school. I have yet to come across a school with as many passionate faculty members as this one. Especially Dr. Hayes, I could hear that man speak forever. He is so brilliant.

Anyway, the interview was interesting, pretty much smooth sailing except when they asked about my gap year, and why I didn't bother with schooling that year (I'm a re-applicant). I was honest with my response, but I don't know how they took it. They pretty much had a straight face throughout the interview so it was hard to gauge. The worst part is he asked me at the end of it all to "be honest" and tell him why I didn't bother with school . All that did was leave a bad taste in my mouth. I was honest both times, so I don't know why he asked me a similar question again. I'm hoping this went well, I could really use some good news. This last thing has been bothering me ALL day and I can't get over it. Ugh!

Regardless, this school is just fantastic. Can't wait to hear back.

Last edited:
So.......

Anybody know when the waitlist is gonna start a movin'? Or how full the class is?

I interviewed 2 weeks ago and they said the class was about half full.

I wish everyone applying to this school the best of luck. They seem to be looking for MCAT scores in excess of 25 and GPA over 3.5/3.3 (? Guesses) I was waitlisted last year but was denied outright this year. Weird that it happened that way. Seems opposite. Doesn't make sense went back to school and took some upper level bio classes. Started volunteering at a free clinic. My GPA didn't improve too much since I didn't take enough classes to improve it. Not blaming the school I could have done more for sure but still baffles me and everyone I know.

Good luck everyone.

I interviewed 2 weeks ago and they said the class was about half full.

I wish everyone applying to this school the best of luck. They seem to be looking for MCAT scores in excess of 25 and GPA over 3.5/3.3 (? Guesses) I was waitlisted last year but was denied outright this year. Weird that it happened that way. Seems opposite. Doesn't make sense went back to school and took some upper level bio classes. Started volunteering at a free clinic. My GPA didn't improve too much since I didn't take enough classes to improve it. Not blaming the school I could have done more for sure but still baffles me and everyone I know.

Good luck everyone.

They have different tiers pre-interview. The first tier gets interviews if they have either a 26 MCAT or 3.3 GPA. The second tier may or may not get looked at. They keep the tier twos just in case they take the MCAT and get a higher score or have transcripts that will boost the GPA. Not sure how they look at them post-interview.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Obviously I'm lacking something numbers wise that they looked at post interview. It's sad that everything comes down to numbers but I've heard from a physician I've shadowed that works in dothan that they accepted students with 17 and 19s on the MCAT. I really would like to believe what he had to say but that makes no sense.

Thanks for the info! Obviously I'm lacking something numbers wise that they looked at post interview. It's sad that everything comes down to numbers but I've heard from a physician I've shadowed that works in dothan that they accepted students with 17 and 19s on the MCAT. I really would like to believe what he had to say but that makes no sense.

These are typically huge exceptions. A doctor I shadowed spoke of a Yale med student who had a 2.7 GPA. With him as with the 17 and 19 MCAT ACOM accepted students, I always assume there is something HUGE bringing them up. Like first author on a nature pub, or started some hugely popular program to provide healthcare to the underserved when they were 15, were the first person to walk on Mars, can teleport, was a member of the avengers during gap year, saved the dean's life in the latest Kaiju attack, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
So on page 24, I brought up the issue with needing varicella vaccinations AND titers proving immunity and how it didnt make sense. Some of you said that was a typo. Some of you said you would only need titers because it makes no sense (100% agree). Someone said that you contacted Mr. Willis about it and he confirmed we only need titers. I had chicken pox as a child, I got titers done last week. Immunity is an index of >165. My index is >4000. I am CLEARLY 1000000% immune. I submitted it to certified profile. Rejected. "You must submit 2 vaccinations AND positive titers."

So... not sure what to do now.