Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WhOTE="singinmedman, post: 16278326, member: 671725"]Also accepted!!! Still cant believe it![/QUOTE]
when did you guys interview

Members don't see this ad.

AWESOME!!! CONGRATS TO ALL ACCEPTED!!!

Have anyone thought about where to live? If you want some advice on the local seen shoot me a message. I live in Magnolia Preserve.

Also I will split the apartment referral service with anyone who puts my name down. CASH MONEY!!!
.. worth having some extra beer money the first week or orientation.. believe me.

- Travis Eubanks

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
also accepted today and interviewed last Friday! they said maybe 2 weeks to hear back so getting accepted after one week is awesome! Good news for you guys waiting to interview since that means there is actual seats still, and they are not just wait-listing everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to you all! my interview is tomorrow any last minute advice?

Congrats to you all! my interview is tomorrow any last minute advice?
Here is what I sent to another applicant.

As far as interview tips go, the first one is know why you want to do osteopathic medicine. If you are applying as a fallback but don't know what sets a DO apart I'd say do a little bit of research. They WILL ask you why you want to do osteopathic medicine.

RELAX- i know that's easier said than done but your interviewers here are going to be your advocates in front of the admissions board. If they think you are a good fit for the school then they will argue for you so know who you are.
Be able to explain any weaknesses in your application. Low MCAT? why? Low GPA? Why? Did you start college with a party life and then get it together sophomore year? Excellent. It is more important that they see growth and ability to overcome adversity than you just cruising along your whole time. Don't give excuses for things but reasons.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE A GOOD FIT- You may just not "feel it" at one school or another. That's ok. You want to spend the next 4 years somewhere you feel like you belong.

The interview process at ACOM is pretty laid back. You will spend the morning hearing from some faculty and administration then you will head upstairs for interviews. Your interviewer will come get you and you will go to their office and have a conversation with them and one other faculty at the same time. Usually it is one PhD and one DO in each room. Be real. Don't give them the answers you think they want to hear. I believe it is more beneficial to be genuine than to pretend, and the professors will be able to tell the difference.

After the interview you will take a tour of the school followed by a lunch with some of us current students. This is the time to ask things you wouldn't ask with faculty or admins around. After lunch you go back for a few more sessions about the school and financial aid, etc. then your day is over.

Good luck tomorrow

Reactions: 1 users
Here is what I sent to another applicant.

As far as interview tips go, the first one is know why you want to do osteopathic medicine. If you are applying as a fallback but don't know what sets a DO apart I'd say do a little bit of research. They WILL ask you why you want to do osteopathic medicine.

RELAX- i know that's easier said than done but your interviewers here are going to be your advocates in front of the admissions board. If they think you are a good fit for the school then they will argue for you so know who you are.
Be able to explain any weaknesses in your application. Low MCAT? why? Low GPA? Why? Did you start college with a party life and then get it together sophomore year? Excellent. It is more important that they see growth and ability to overcome adversity than you just cruising along your whole time. Don't give excuses for things but reasons.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE A GOOD FIT- You may just not "feel it" at one school or another. That's ok. You want to spend the next 4 years somewhere you feel like you belong.

The interview process at ACOM is pretty laid back. You will spend the morning hearing from some faculty and administration then you will head upstairs for interviews. Your interviewer will come get you and you will go to their office and have a conversation with them and one other faculty at the same time. Usually it is one PhD and one DO in each room. Be real. Don't give them the answers you think they want to hear. I believe it is more beneficial to be genuine than to pretend, and the professors will be able to tell the difference.

After the interview you will take a tour of the school followed by a lunch with some of us current students. This is the time to ask things you wouldn't ask with faculty or admins around. After lunch you go back for a few more sessions about the school and financial aid, etc. then your day is over.

Good luck tomorrow

Thank you . Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Interviewed today, and it was awesome! Great experience here

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 3/13, ACCEPTED today!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! Had a little dance in the middle of the street. :hardy:

Reactions: 5 users
Hello all! I just have a few questions about Fall 2015. Does anyone know what the dates for student orientation will be for the Class of 2019 and when the first day of classes are? Also, can anyone give some insight about what the class schedule is usually like for the first semester?

Hello all! I just have a few questions about Fall 2015. Does anyone know what the dates for student orientation will be for the Class of 2019 and when the first day of classes are? Also, can anyone give some insight about what the class schedule is usually like for the first semester?

This is the info that was posted on the FB group of the Class of 2019:

Orientation: July 22-24, 2015
Fall Term: July 27 - Dec 13, 2015
Spring Term: Jan 4 - May 29, 2016

The person only asked about the MCAT and not about both. If you don't have either a 26 MCAT or 3.3 GPA, you are put into the second tier pre-interview. These people are not usually given an interview unless their is an update in the grades or MCAT that will put them over in either category. I know this because I am extremely close in both and have not gotten an interview in months. They told me this is the reason over the phone. All schools have threshold stats that they want before an interview. The "looking at the whole individual" truly applies once the interview is given.

is that GPA for overall or science?

Interviewed Friday, Accepted today!

Accepted today! Had a little dance in the middle of the street. :hardy:

Interviewed 3/13, ACCEPTED today!

also accepted today and interviewed last Friday! they said maybe 2 weeks to hear back so getting accepted after one week is awesome! Good news for you guys waiting to interview since that means there is actual seats still, and they are not just wait-listing everyone.

Anyone recently accepted care to share their stats? People have speculated on here that anyone accepted this late must be more competitive than earlier in the cycle. Hoping that's not really true since my numbers aren't great (26mcat, 3.4cGPA, 3.25sGPA) . I would really appreciate knowing where I stand!

Also, has anyone updated the "interview feedback" section lately?

Interviewed and waitlisted in September! Sent an update letter Sunday and got off the wait list today!!!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Also, has anyone updated the "interview feedback" section lately?

Thank you for reminding me. I planned to do it after my interview but forgot. The interview feedback was very useful to me when prepping, and I invite anyone that has the time to give your feedback.

Reactions: 1 user
congrats on all the new acceptances! Make sure to join the FB group

Reactions: 1 user
is the class full?

if you read the last page several people who interviewed as recently as this last Friday just got their invites today so there is at least some seats open. no idea of course how many, but 2-3 people a week for the last 3 weeks have been announcing on this thread they got in out of the 10-12 that interview each week, and maybe more got in that don't post here.

During the interview day tour they said last year they took about 40+ people of the waitlist around April and may, as people who were accepted earlier in the cycle drop their seat to go somewhere else. I wouldn't worry about open seats, you should be ok as long as you do a good interview and they feel you fit in with their system. Study your essays you submitted on both the primary and secondary applications and be ready to answer any questions they will ask you about what you wrote, they really focus on those in the interviews.

Interviewed and waitlisted in September! Sent an update letter Sunday and got off the wait list today!!!!!!

Congratulations! So does this mean they're starting to use the wait list? I was told they would start around April/end of April. I was also wait listed around then and recently submitted a letter on my updates.

Does anyone know if M.D. schools receive a notification when you accept a spot at a D.O. school?

Does anyone know if M.D. schools receive a notification when you accept a spot at a D.O. school?
No, they will not. I was told this by an admissions committee member at CESCOM.
I may be wrong, but that's what he told me. He's been in the game for a looooong time.

To others who made their deposits, did you receive a confirmation e-mail?

Anyone else on here that interviewed yesterday?

I interviewed yesterday. Thought it was a great school and was impressed with what they had to offer.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed yesterday. Thought it was a great school and was impressed with what they had to offer.

So apparently the admissions committee is meeting today about those of us who interviewed 3/27. Anyone else who interviewed that day, please let us know of you hear from them!

Reactions: 2 users