Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could people who have interviewed already help me out. The last flight out on my interview day is at 6:20pm. Do you guys think I can make that flight? Does the interview go all the way until three. Will I be able to duck out early, etc? Thanks in advance.
what time is your interview slot? the day is supposed to finish by 2pm (lunch served around 1pm) if you interview earlier in the day. you can leave when lunch is served/after as rest of time is just reserved for financial aid questions and socializing with the other interviewees/faculty..assuming you hopped in your car at 230 and drove to el paso ...youd be there by 4pm and will still have 2 hrs before your flight takes off. you can even leave if youve interviewed early morning and skip out on the campus tour but i think thats something worth seeing...so yeah

Members don't see this ad.

Could people who have interviewed already help me out. The last flight out on my interview day is at 6:20pm. Do you guys think I can make that flight? Does the interview go all the way until three. Will I be able to duck out early, etc? Thanks in advance.

Out of ELP? Should be fine. The day ended pretty early (12p?) and lunch was provided which you don't have to stick around for. Our group maybe was smaller? But everyone got to eat together regardless of interview time. Don't forget to do online check in!

Awesome. Thanks for all the input everyone! I definitely like the atmosphere I've seen on this message board. Looking forward to seeing what this school is like in person. Anyone unimpressed with their interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if that's actually true. My DO letter isn't submitted yet. My osteopathic physician is still writing it. I've submitted my MD letter though already through AACOMAS and I received a II just over a week ago. I've read about this happening earlier to someone else in this thread. I can't remember what the stipulation was exactly, but you do need to have a DO letter for sure before you can matriculate. Hope this helps.

Yup happened to me! He's STILL writing the letter. I contacted BCOM and they were very helpful. And mentioned that the pending letter shouldn't hold me back from submitting the secondary and getting an II. They even offered to help call and get the letter in if I were to be accepted. So, it is a requirement but not absolutely necessary to have before submitting a secondary or even accepting an II.

Reactions: 1 user
Got waitlisted, but I'm kinda happy about it lol... Now I don't have to pay the deposit and I get to hear back from a lot more schools and still have a good chance at getting in here. I will say that the interview is super relaxed, and the faculty is all really nice and nmsu is huge....unfortunately bcom is only 1 medium sized building on nmsu which isn't finished and quite honestly i dont believe it will be done in time. They also have a lot of loose ends and questionable details that made me sketched out....of course it's brand new, but I got a weird feeling from the school... the weather is perfect though!!!! Haha. I'd say just be cautious here and do some research into it first....

Got waitlisted, but I'm kinda happy about it lol... Now I don't have to pay the deposit and I get to hear back from a lot more schools and still have a good chance at getting in here. I will say that the interview is super relaxed, and the faculty is all really nice and nmsu is huge....unfortunately bcom is only 1 medium sized building on nmsu which isn't finished and quite honestly i dont believe it will be done in time. They also have a lot of loose ends and questionable details that made me sketched out....of course it's brand new, but I got a weird feeling from the school... the weather is perfect though!!!! Haha. I'd say just be cautious here and do some research into it first....
What sort of details and loose ends got you sketched out?
edit: cool profile pic btw

Last edited:
With pretty much all facets including curriculum, dress code, date of building completion, residency spots, etc, no one gave a straight answer and when i asked the same question to different faculty I got different answers for multiple questions. I felt like everything is kinda chaotic right now. It may clear up and be a good school, definitely not top rank, but as I see it right now, I would think twice about dropping that much money.

With pretty much all facets including curriculum, dress code, date of building completion, residency spots, etc, no one gave a straight answer and when i asked the same question to different faculty I got different answers for multiple questions. I felt like everything is kinda chaotic right now. It may clear up and be a good school, definitely not top rank, but as I see it right now, I would think twice about dropping that much money.

My interviewer was straightforward with me in acknowledging that a lot of things can change between now and next year - and I expect it. That being said, of course if you get into a top tier DO school, BCOM may not be your top choice. But there are many DO schools I think Burrell has beat, just on the information we know is for certain. For me there were other considerations that led to BCOM being among my top choices.

Reactions: 2 users

Can anybody comment on whether or not this is typical of a new school? Or are you implying BCOM is exceptionally disorganized?

How many of you did mock interviews and did you find that they helped for the bcom interview?

I just submitted my secondary and realized that although I did poorly in a class I was discussing in the bad grades section, I retook it. I cannot believe I forgot to mention that... Hopefully this doesn't matter.

Email them to update them with that information and anything else relevant.

How many of you did mock interviews and did you find that they helped for the bcom interview?
I did a couple mock interviews during my masters. The only one that helped was extremely aggressive. She tore my application apart. The value in that was just getting used to being taken off guard. Beyond that. I didn't find them overwhelmingly helpful. It wouldn't hurt to have someone look over your file and highlight any obvious weak spots. That way you don't look shocked when you get asked something.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anybody comment on whether or not this is typical of a new school? Or are you implying BCOM is exceptionally disorganized?
Disorganization is normal. There are two ways to look at this. 1. Omg the world is ending they're not ready and don't have answers lined up 2. They're actually open minded and willing to adjust as they go in order to provide the best environment possible. It was something I really liked.

Plus. If everyone had the exact same answer. It would be rehearsed. That's a red flag to me. I've managed huge projects, which are obviously nowhere near the magnitude of this. I'm actually comforted by the fact that they're not locking things in stone. I think it reflects a realization that they have a unique opportunity to innovate.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interviewer was straightforward with me in acknowledging that a lot of things can change between now and next year - and I expect it. That being said, of course if you get into a top tier DO school, BCOM may not be your top choice. But there are many DO schools I think Burrell has beat, just on the information we know is for certain. For me there were other considerations that led to BCOM being among my top choices.

Like what? Care to explain?

Is anyone considering paying the deposit just to hold their spot and using the next few months to further consider options?

"Leading with GME" is part of their goal as a school. They have created 100 ACGME (read: merger ready) residency slots already, providing a solution for a big problem we're facing. Those slots are open to anyone, but, this is where working hard and making things happen for yourself comes into play. The way I see it is, having more places to do residency equates into more places to do rotations (even if away) which can set you up for a better shot at that chosen residency.

Multiple clinical rotation sites already established and excited about the school and students. Two hospitals that are right in las cruces. Options for El Paso and also they're working on Tucson, AZ.

Oliver Hayes- the fact that when I mention his name three of my docs perked up and said oh he's excellent and had nothing but positive things to say about his abilities as a clinical director- is very reassuring.

As of right now (per the student handbook) the attendance policy is 80% for lecture and 100% for labs. There is also a no food in lecture policy. Dress code is professional/bus casual, no jeans. Maybe it's the non trad in me but this doesn't bother me. I learn best at school because I tend to get distracted at home. Plus the dress code allows for scrubs which =pajamas so...

There's that awesome factor of being the pioneering class for a new school. For some this is a turn off, for me it's an attractive point. We'll be setting the stage for growth of the medical community in the area, leaving a positive impression and making substantially positive influences on the surrounding communities.

Innovative education: they are teaching us anatomy in a way that allows us to pair the knowledge with diagnostic imaging. Reading x-Rays, US's and ct's so we can appreciate what disease looks like on imaging. Exactly how physicians practice now.

These were all selling points for me. I'll add more later.

Reactions: 9 users
"Leading with GME" is part of their goal as a school. They have created 100 ACGME (read: merger ready) residency slots already, providing a solution for a big problem we're facing. Those slots are open to anyone, but, this is where working hard and making things happen for yourself comes into play. The way I see it is, having more places to do residency equates into more places to do rotations (even if away) which can set you up for a better shot at that chosen residency.

Multiple clinical rotation sites already established and excited about the school and students. Two hospitals that are right in las cruces. Options for El Paso and also they're working on Tucson, AZ.

Oliver Hayes- the fact that when I mention his name three of my docs perked up and said oh he's excellent and had nothing but positive things to say about his abilities as a clinical director- is very reassuring.

As of right now (per the student handbook) the attendance policy is 80% for lecture and 100% for labs. There is also a no food in lecture policy. Dress code is professional/bus casual, no jeans. Maybe it's the non trad in me but this doesn't bother me. I learn best at school because I tend to get distracted at home. Plus the dress code allows for scrubs which =pajamas so...

There's that awesome factor of being the pioneering class for a new school. For some this is a turn off, for me it's an attractive point. We'll be setting the stage for growth of the medical community in the area, leaving a positive impression and making substantially positive influences on the surrounding communities.

Innovative education: they are teaching us anatomy in a way that allows us to pair the knowledge with diagnostic imaging. Reading x-Rays, US's and ct's so we can appreciate what disease looks like on imaging. Exactly how physicians practice now.

Dr. Hayes is awesome!

I did a mock interview with one of the doctors I work with. He put me on the spot and grilled me about the weak parts of my app. It was nothing like my actual interviews but good prep nonetheless. I also did practice questions with my boyfriend which was helpful.

You know, according to my interview, this merger ACGME/AOA is actually detrimental to osteopathic students, because they're more likely going to take MD over DO. It increases the amount of residency spots available to MD students that were previously only held for DO students. If anything, this may make it worse.

The problem with all of this is that even in schools that aren't as new as BCOM, the curriculum is constantly changing. I know that in LECOM, the opening class for Bradenton did horribly in their boards. In the subsequent years, the students were able to excel much better because they changed their curriculum. This was even talked about during my interview there. The director of the program even said that there were a lot of hiccups in the first year. Sometimes, it isn't a good thing to be the first especially when you're paying about $200k for your education.

This is just my opinion, but if it is the only school I got into, of course I would attend.

I'm even worried about CUSOM. I heard stories about how residencies will not take students from provisionally accredited schools, and waited until they became fully accredited before accepting students. I don't remember which thread this was in, but one student had to wait a couple years before he could get into a residency because his school became fully accredited that year.

Last edited:
You know, according to my interview, this merger ACGME/AOA is actually detrimental to osteopathic students, because they're more likely going to take MD over DO. It increases the amount of residency spots available to MD students that were previously only held for DO students. If anything, this may make it worse.

The problem with all of this is that even in schools that aren't as new as BCOM, the curriculum is constantly changing. I know that in LECOM, the opening class for Bradenton did horribly in their boards. In the subsequent years, the students were able to excel much better because they changed their curriculum. This was even talked about during my interview there. The director of the program even said that there were a lot of hiccups in the first year. Sometimes, it isn't a good thing to be the first especially when you're paying about $200k for your education.

This is just my opinion, but if it is the only school I got into, of course I would attend.

I'm even worried about CUSOM. I heard stories about how residencies will not take students from provisionally accredited schools, and waited until they became fully accredited before accepting students. I don't remember which thread this was in, but one student had to wait a couple years before he could get into a residency because his school became fully accredited that year.

my thoughts exactly, new is not good in my eyes. But if this was the only school with an acceptance, then I would accept.

Like which schools?

Well, I don't think I'm going to identify specific schools - I don't want to needlessly hammer on schools who may simply be doing the best they can with the resources they have. But, separate yourself from your premed/incoming student excitement for a second, and take a moment to absorb advice from residents or 4th year students. Thats what I did, and that is the criteria I'm using to assess which school I wish to attend. Very quickly it will become evident that BCOM does have some interesting things going for it which are enticing. This premed/incoming student bubble is super misleading about whats important and whats not.

I'll just say: preclinical curriculum, dress code, food policy, etc. This is just not important to me. These factors are insignificant in the grand scheme of things - IMO.

What do you mean one student had to wait? Did the first class not get accredited his/her graduating year? When I talked with physicians and rang up the AOA they told me that the provisional status will not effect you opportunities to get into residencies. Do good on boards, get good grades and there should not be a problem. If the school does not get accredited that is when you have to wait. At least that is the information that I have received when looking into the residency problem.

Everyone has their own opinion on the merger. For me, I'm not personally worried. I know that I will be competent and am confident in my ability to obtain a residency. I also have strong ties to my local academic teaching hospital which will still be there when it comes time for applying. I don't think the merger will hurt DO students who work hard, but it may affect those who are struggling with clerkships, etc.

Accreditation status does not affect your ability to obtain a residency.

Yes there will be growing pains with any curricula, but at the end of the day, we're all learning the same info for first and second year. Board prep is being covered on many angles by BCOM. If for some reason they are lacking I can supplement it a bit on my own. I'm on the proactive side of things so this doesn't apply to every student.

I will add in regards to board prep: The Dean made it very clear that they have a lot of room in the budget for the school and that our success is their top priority so with that I feel that they will be extremely open to us requesting additional resources if we feel that we need them.

What do you mean one student had to wait? Did the first class not get accredited his/her graduating year? When I talked with physicians and rang up the AOA they told me that the provisional status will not effect you opportunities to get into residencies. Do good on boards, get good grades and there should not be a problem. If the school does not get accredited that is when you have to wait. At least that is the information that I have received when looking into the residency problem.

I say this in the kindest way possible, take everything that you read on this forum with a large grain of salt.

DOs had an 80% success rate in the MD match this past cycle. and the number has steadily been rising year over year. Plus I don't see how DO program directors will discriminate against DO graduates. I do think that ROADS may get more difficult for DO grads - purely because the volume of MDs with higher board scores surpasses the volume of DOs with high board scores. But for Primary Care, IM, EM, Paeds, etc, I don't anticipate the competition to get tougher.

For those who have secured their spot, has anybody paid via debit card? I would prefer that method since it's the quickest, but I'm not sure if I'll be charged more.

I highly doubt debit would charge you. But you could look into things like interact transfer - its a nominal fee or included in your account for free. If you do a wire transfer, the bank would charge you a flat fee. I think the best thing would be to call the business office and discuss payment options. They are incredibly helpful.

Interviewed today and received an acceptance email tonight! Despite the many uncertainties about this school with it being new, I was pretty impressed overall and liked the staff members that I met. For any people interviewing in the near future, the interview is extremely laid back and conversational, and they really just want to get to know you better. If anyone has any particular questions that have not been answered, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 2 users

You make great points. I think its great our noses wont be saturated with formaldehyde and looking at imaging studies was one of my favorite things working as a scribe. The other big thing is OMM in the curriculum. Other than the OMM lab, BCOM doesn't devote a lot of time to OMM and that a definite plus for me. I don't see it as being very useful in practice but it is an integral component of the osteopathic tradition so all DO schools are obligated to have some kind of OMM class.

@Stephanopolous I think you are doing a great service to all BCOM applicants by helping them stay well informed and educated!

Reactions: 7 users
What is a II if you don't mind me asking. I am sorry I am new to this process.

No worries, we have all been there! I just recently learned what in the world "MMI" was (multiple mini interviews). II = Interview Invite!

By the way, I just received my II from BCOM TODAY!!!!! I am so stoked :)) First II ever. :claps::soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
When did you submit your primary? Secondary?

Hey! So I was verified by AACOMAS on 7/30 (my bday!), then I got the secondary email from BCOM on 7/31, I was traveling at the time, so I finally sat down and submitted my secondary 8/19 and received my II today, 9/2 (my bf's day!). :soexcited:

Hey! So I was verified by AACOMAS on 7/30 (my bday!), then I got the secondary email from BCOM on 7/31, I was traveling at the time, so I finally sat down and submitted my secondary 8/19 and received my II today, 9/2 (my bf's day!). :soexcited:

Then you will get an acceptance on your mother's birthday!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks so much for the info. Do you guys knows if they have always sent out the secondaries right after being verified? Because I didn't get one right after I was verified :(

Stats?

I got mine 8 hours after verification. BTW, did you guys add a photo to your secondary app?

BCOM was the first secondary I got, but I was verified back in May and received a secondary late June.
I did not upload a photo, so that is not required :)

So I am kind of rethinking my II due to the fact that BCOM students will not have access to federal student loans during the first two years. If there is one thing that would slaughter me financially it would be going through medical school on PRIVATE loans! I urge you all to consider this fact as well, especially those of you who have received acceptances already.

*Disclaimer: on all other counts BCOM appears to be an excellent school. I am not bashing the school itself, which impresses me, just the private loan situation.

@sgconp92
I know that we all kinda freak about about the speed in which we are given secondaries/interviews/acceptances, but you just got to maintain strong and have faith in yourself. If nothing turns up, keep applying. There are still several months to this cycle. Im still turning in secondaries and hoping to hear back from schools here in Tx.

I personally did place a photograph on my file. It is a passport type of picture, nothing fancy or flashy. I add it to all of my applications when I can, and I even added it when I sent a request to my LORs just so that they have a current picture of me.

So I am kind of rethinking my II due to the fact that BCOM students will not have access to federal student loans during the first two years. If there is one thing that would slaughter me financially it would be going through medical school on PRIVATE loans! I urge you all to consider this fact as well, especially those of you who have received acceptances already.

*Disclaimer: on all other counts BCOM appears to be an excellent school. I am not bashing the school itself, which impresses me, just the private loan situation.
You should at least go to the interview. It is better to keep some doors open instead of closing them. I don't know how many ii or acceptances you have received but if you don't have an acceptance yet I would go to the interview. Good luck!