Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are any of the accepted folks from the borderplex or New Mexico? Just curious on if they are only accepting those from that region.
I'm from Georgia.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are any of the accepted folks from the borderplex or New Mexico? Just curious on if they are only accepting those from that region.

Not from the region. I'm from the Pacific Northwest.

I was accepted and I am from New York!

Members don't see this ad :)
Those accepted, would you mind sharing your stats? Would be really helpful to know if I have a chance. I have a 65 LizzyM
If you have other things they are looking for than yes! I.e. You have strong reason to go there, good ECs. I say go for it

I am from Los Angeles
Those accepted, would you mind sharing your stats? Would be really helpful to know if I have a chance. I have a 65 LizzyM
My cGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.53 MCAT 26 PS 9 VR 7 BS 10

Several folks at another interview talked me into applying here and seemed to love the area and school.

Hoping it's not too late. Texas resident hoping for a II.

I was accepted with a 3.4 gpa, 25 first MCAT, 504 second MCAT. Had a lot of volunteer, shadowing, and work experience too.

Has anyone from yesterday's interview heard back yet? (8/25/15) also do they email or call you the result from interview?

Interview next week, any advice for preparing in terms of the final week? I've been preparing since the day I got the II email
honestly-- just know yourself and the typical big 3 questions you should have an answer to at every school you interview at. i know thats a broken record but i think thats the honest trick to this whole thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback everyone! Congrats to all of you have gotten II's as well, and especially for those who have been accepted!

Interview next week, any advice for preparing in terms of the final week? I've been preparing since the day I got the II email

Honestly. Relax. they know your scores and stats. So don't worry about that. The interview is not a trick. they're not asking you complex ethical questions and judging you for every nuance in your response. They want to get to know YOU. Thats not something you rehearse, you just walk in and do you.

so. ya. Just do you. It'll be fine. Best wishes.

Any Class of 2020 groups yet? Would love to get to know fellow students who will be attending!

I got accepted! Just got the email! So happy! Hard work and persistence pays off!!

Reactions: 5 users
I got waitlisted. Any tips on what I should do? Is it appropriate to call the admissions to ask why I got wait listed and what I can possibly do to get off it?

Yes, ACOM and KCUMB. It may seem strange to a lot of people to commit to BCOM right away, but after going through a couple of interviews last cycle, I simply don't have the energy to go through the post-interview hype and then subsequent rejection. Also, I'm tired of traveling all over and a family emergency means I couldn't go even if I wanted to. These factors, as well as liking the area, the connection with NMSU, and the school's potential all sealed the deal.

What's NMSU?

I'm going to be honest. Being accepted WITHOUT federal financial aid, and being the first inaugurating class would make me VERY nervous. That tuition isn't cheap. Adding on that $3000 to hold a seat doesn't help either.

In fact, new schools constantly change curriculum every year to optimize because it didn't work out for that year's class. Make sure you can get good rotations too. There are so many whatif's for this school that I would suggest going to a more established school. If this school is the only one that takes you definitely go to this one.

BCOM needs to have tuition for the years that do not have federal financial aid to on the level of LECOM's tuition to instill confidence.

Last edited:
What's NMSU?
New Mexico State University. BCOM students are able to use NMSU facilities such as the union, libraries, gym, and so on. It's a great thing because it expands your options for doing whatever you want/need to. Burned out from studying? Go climbing in the gym!

Last edited:
I got waitlisted. Any tips on what I should do? Is it appropriate to call the admissions to ask why I got wait listed and what I can possibly do to get off it?

Yes, keep showing interest in BCOM call or email. I think email would be best. If you search back on this thread you'll read a couple posts of people who got waitlisted and reached out to BCOM. I think one ended up getting accepted.

I love that climbing wall when I saw it. Anyone want to find bouldering spots out in the Organs? I spotted a few potential problems and even routes that would be great to climb.

Reactions: 2 users
Just sent them an email! Hopefully I get some good news soon :\ Congrats to everyone else who got accepted!

Last edited:
I love that climbing wall when I saw it. Anyone want to find bouldering spots out in the Organs? I spotted a few potential problems and even routes that would be great to climb.

uh yes. 1000 times yes. that was one of the first questions I asked after seeing the wall.

I am interested in applying to BCOM for the 2016 yr. I have a masters degree from KCU 3.3 GPA and I am taking the MCAT in September. Hopefully I do well on this new MCAT. My old MCAT score was so underdog. lol. Failure makes me stronger!! The Southwest would be such a great experience! For any one that has interviewed, what are their thoughts on the school in person?

How much does one figure they will need in private loans to cover all costs including tuition, health insurance, living etc. for each year?

Anyone accepted concerned about there not be federal aid?

Direct Unsubsidized Loans (Graduate or Professional Students) 5.84%
Direct PLUS Loans (Parents and Graduate or Professional Students) 6.84

These are the current federal rates. Keep in mind that some of us may have unsubsidized loans from undergrad, and that counts towards the (~224K) cap for those loans. After that, you can only get plus or private.

If you have credit history and good credit, it may behoove you to get a private loan, as you may be able to beat the current federal rate (you want to get it fixed).

That being said, I am a little worried but at the end of the day I'm doing this because I love this field, not because of money or loans. As long as they approve me I will be happy. There are plenty of loan repayment programs available when I finish school.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans (Graduate or Professional Students) 5.84%
Direct PLUS Loans (Parents and Graduate or Professional Students) 6.84

These are the current federal rates. Keep in mind that some of us may have unsubsidized loans from undergrad, and that counts towards the (~224K) cap for those loans. After that, you can only get plus or private.

If you have credit history and good credit, it may behoove you to get a private loan, as you may be able to beat the current federal rate (you want to get it fixed).

That being said, I am a little worried but at the end of the day I'm doing this because I love this field, not because of money or loans. As long as they approve me I will be happy. There are plenty of loan repayment programs available when I finish school.

I like your attitude! I share the same mentality regarding the whole financial aid thing. Gah!! My September 8th interview can't come soon enough. :cyclops:

Hey everyone!

I am interviewing September 4th. and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on hotels to stay at in Las Cruces?
Also, should I take a shuttle or a rental car from El Paso to Las Cruces?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Hey everyone!

I am interviewing September 4th. and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on hotels to stay at in Las Cruces?

I'm interviewing on the 10th. I was considering taking the shuttle, but I took someone's else' advice from an earlier post and just made a USAA account for a car rental. Only $34 for two days.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on hotels too. I just called Comfort Suites and it didn't sound like there was any sort of special rate at all. I found a deal online for $84 a night, which was what the guy over the phone was telling me how much my "special rate" would get me. It didn't really seem all that special if I could have gotten the same price by booking online.

I stayed at Days End for 39 bucks a night. All you need is a bed and a shower. Go cheap! It is about an 8 minute drive to the football field from there.

Hey everyone!

I had a fairly pleasant experience with the shuttle service, very polite and on time. I stayed at the Ramada Palms hotel, one of the hotels that the shuttle goes to. Not bad for the price I suppose, but not amazing either.

With tax and surcharges included, I payed 190 for both nights, so kinda pricey.

Checker cab in Las Cruces is also prompt and inexpensive! 575-541-1111

I'm interviewing on the 10th. I was considering taking the shuttle, but I took someone's else' advice from an earlier post and just made a USAA account for a car rental. Only $34 for two days.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on hotels too. I just called Comfort Suites and it didn't sound like there was any sort of special rate at all. I found a deal online for $84 a night, which was what the guy over the phone was telling me how much my "special rate" would get me. It didn't really seem all that special if I could have gotten the same price by booking online.

I've seen USAA mentioned a few times on this thread, but it appears you can only open an account if you or someone in your family is in the military. Are all the people on this thread making USAA accounts related to servicepeople, or is there a way around that?

I interviewed on 8/18 and was accepted :)

Girls, any advice on how to wear hair? I have professionally long hair but I don't want to wear it down. Half up half down or pony tail?

Air bnb

Girls, any advice on how to wear hair? I have professionally long hair but I don't want to wear it down. Half up half down or pony tail?
I wore mine half up half down, there were several other girls wearing it the same way, one had a pony tail, one had her hair down.

I interview for medical practices and I think that pulled back, or a bun, is the most professional way to wear it. Jewelry is fine, but VERY understated.

I wore mine half up half down, there were several other girls wearing it the same way, one had a pony tail, one had her hair down.
Exactly. That's fine. The big thing is that...you don't want your hair to be a distraction. Same thing goes for guys. SUPER trendy/stylish is something to avoid. you want to sell them on who YOU are, not how incredible your hair looks. If you wear your hair a certain way and you haven't had any problems in the work place, then you're gold. HOWEVER, if you look in the mirror and have doubts, you should trust your instincts, and try to keep it more conservative. Most people have good instincts.

I also interview people as part of my position in the ER but I don't pay much attention to the person's hairstyle as much as I do their overall presentation. If it were extreme, sure, but just wanted to throw a different perspective out there.

Exactly. That's fine. The big thing is that...you don't want your hair to be a distraction. Same thing goes for guys. SUPER trendy/stylish is something to avoid. you want to sell them on who YOU are, not how incredible your hair looks. If you wear your hair a certain way and you haven't had any problems in the work place, then you're gold. HOWEVER, if you look in the mirror and have doubts, you should trust your instincts, and try to keep it more conservative. Most people have good instincts.

Agree :)

I've seen USAA mentioned a few times on this thread, but it appears you can only open an account if you or someone in your family is in the military. Are all the people on this thread making USAA accounts related to servicepeople, or is there a way around that?

They've opened up to non-military personnel and non-military related family members. I had trouble with this as well, but I figured out the process after browsing around for an hour yesterday. Follow this link here: https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/rental_cars_main?akredirect=true

Click on "find a car". Enter in the information for pickup and return, click "find my vehicle". Scroll down the page and you'll see a list of cars show up. Select the car you want and hit "book now". When it asks you for a loyalty rewards account information, just click "continue". You'll then hit a login screen for USAA. Since you don't have an account select the option on the right that says "Get started". Select "no" for the next screen when it asks you if you are already a USAA member. Fill out the application and eventually you'll get asked three questions about your association to the military. Just say no to all of the questions. You don't get counted off for not having any association. This is what I did and I was able to get all the same discounts for free.

I curled mine and put it in a pony tail with a cute headband and will probably do the same for all my interviews in the the SW- it's just too hot for a suit and hair down!

I have really long hair. almost to my waist. I wore a slick back ponytail!

For those who got accepted: Can you have the Agreement form notarized and then copied and emailed to them?

I signed it, notarized, took photos of the pages, used Genius Scan app and scanned and emailed them