Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they entice people with a $1000 refund, it would work. $200 is a drop in the bucket.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If they entice people with a $1000 refund, it would work. $200 is a drop in the bucket.

Exactly. LECOM and CUSOM ask for $1500 deposits. BCOM only offering $200, when they charge $3000 sounds like a feeble attempt (less than 7%.) At least make it reasonable!

Reactions: 1 user
^^^You called it!

After reading that email everyone is talking/ heard about I don't think The $200 refund will entice anyone to give up their seat by January 15th. At that point you still loose out on $2,800. But who knows maybe their plan will work. Praying all you guys/girls recieve offers soon! I wouldn't stress too much it's only October. If you feel like it'll be your only shot at an acceptance, and you get wait listed don't delay in contacting the dean. He seems very open to genuinally interested students who reach out to BCOM.

I think we should thank people like @QueenJames @DrPatriot (anyone else I forgot..sorry!) who decided not to hold on to a seat or respectfully declined BCOM's offer when they had other options ahead of them. They potentially opened the door for someone else. Hopefully we get more of those type of applicants :)

I am not sure how much the medical schools look into this situation, but goro did mention in the past that the ADCOMS aren't ignorant to this fact. They know that the flood of highly qualified MD applicants are overflow from their failed MD cycle. I would like to think that this would weigh on their acceptance. I truly want to do Osteopathic medicine--I am only applying osteopathic. So, I just hope this holds some water here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be in Las Cruces tomorrow! Interview on Monday the 5th. Whoever's in the area, PM me! Lets meet up for food, explore, and get through this interview together!

Exactly. LECOM and CUSOM ask for $1500 deposits. BCOM only offering $200, when they charge $3000 sounds like a feeble attempt (less than 7%.) At least make it reasonable!

They aren't trying to convince people to give up their seats if they are still deciding where to go, they are trying to convince people who have already accepted offers from other schools to drop their seats now rather than procrastinating out of laziness. With no refund, it makes no difference to these people if they drop their seat today or 8/7/16, either way they're still out the $3K. But giving them back some amount of money (when they'd otherwise get absolutely nothing) incentivizes them to drop their seats in a timely manner rather than sitting on them because they just haven't felt like submitting the paperwork to withdraw.

Reactions: 3 users
They aren't trying to convince people to give up their seats if they are still deciding where to go, they are trying to convince people who have already accepted offers from other schools to drop their seats now rather than procrastinating out of laziness. With no refund, it makes no difference to these people if they drop their seat today or 8/7/16, either way they're still out the $3K. But giving them back some amount of money (when they'd otherwise get absolutely nothing) incentivizes them to drop their seats in a timely manner rather than sitting on them because they just haven't felt like submitting the paperwork to withdraw.

I'm confused.. Did Burrell send out offers to people who have already paid?

Accepted after my interview yesterday! The interview was an incredible experience and the school has a great feel and culture! Burrell class of 2020!

Obviously...The $3000 deposit is already overkill.

Regardless, those who wanted the refund back will probably wait until the last day to withdraw, which is Jan 15.

People will hold onto their acceptances as long as they can until they get into their top choice schools.

Last edited:
Obviously...The $3000 deposit is already overkill.

Regardless, those who wanted the refund back will probably wait until the last day to withdraw, which is Jan 15.

People will hold onto their acceptances as long as they can until they get into their top choice schools.

The refund isn't immediately relevant to people who are still waiting to hear back from other schools. For those who have already heard back and put down deposits elsewhere? I don't know about you, but I would definitely want that money back. If I've already got a seat secured at a school I like better, why would I continue to squat on a BCOM seat and pass up getting my $200 back now? Then again, I pay all my own bills on a scribe salary, so $200 is a lot to me. As it probably is for a lot of people.

Last edited:
$200 is still something but if they wanna get the desired effect out of this incentive, they need to offer at least a stack. Never gonna happen unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
The refund isn't immediately relevant to people who are still waiting to hear back from other schools. For those who have already heard back and put down deposits elsewhere? I don't know about you, but I would definitely want that money back. If I've already got a seat secured at a school I like better, why would I continue to squat on a BCOM seat and pass up getting my $200 back now? Then again, I pay all my own bills on a scribe salary, so $200 is a lot to me. As it probably is for a lot of people.

Look, I'm not going to put down a deposit for any school until right before the deposit is due. For many schools that is Dec 14, which are the rules established by AACOMAS traffic guidelines (Which Burrell refuses to follow to hopefully gouge applicants for more money.) Even if I did deposit at another school, I would not immediately withdraw from Burrell.

Source:
https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_aacomas-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=6

Reason is because sometimes, schools can rescind acceptance for any reason. $200 is a lot, but in the grand scheme of things, is nothing compared to tuition and how much you already put down. Look at the big picture! The only thing Burrell did with this was not to have acceptees intending to go elsewhere immediately withdraw from the school, but rather, wait until the deadline for students to withdraw. They may start to realize accepting applicants super early may be a good idea financially, but a poor idea when they're trying to not have to deal with lots of applicants changing their minds as the cycle goes on and withdrawing from the school. It will be interesting when they end up reporting the final numbers of average MCAT/GPA for matriculants. It is clear that money talks for this school, and they operate based on how to maximize profits. The small $200 refund is even more evidence of that. There is a reason more established schools do not follow this.

Getting $200 back will not be a good enough incentive to make me immediately withdraw. I'll get it back eventually by waiting until the last minute. If $200 is a lot to you and you can't afford to let it sit for three more months, then you're doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Look, I'm not going to put down a deposit for any school until right before the deposit is due. For many schools that is Dec 14, which are the rules established by AACOMAS traffic guidelines (Which Burrell refuses to follow to hopefully gouge applicants for more money.) Even if I did deposit at another school, I would not immediately withdraw from Burrell.

Source:
https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_aacomas-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=6

Reason is because sometimes, schools can rescind acceptance for any reason. $200 is a lot, but in the grand scheme of things, is nothing compared to tuition and how much you already put down. Look at the big picture! The only thing Burrell did with this was not to have acceptees intending to go elsewhere immediately withdraw from the school, but rather, wait until the deadline for students to withdraw. They may start to realize accepting applicants super early may be a good idea financially, but a poor idea when they're trying to not have to deal with lots of applicants changing their minds as the cycle goes on and withdrawing from the school. It will be interesting when they end up reporting the final numbers of average MCAT/GPA for matriculants. It is clear that money talks for this school, and they operate based on how to maximize profits. The small $200 refund is even more evidence of that. There is a reason more established schools do not follow this.

Getting $200 back will not be a good enough incentive to make me immediately withdraw. I'll get it back eventually by waiting until the last minute. If $200 is a lot to you and you can't afford to let it sit for three more months, then you're doing something wrong.
You just don't know when to stop... Now you are telling people they are doing something wrong if 200 dollars is a lot to them? Some people have a family and children and bills and trials. You are a fool.

You just don't know when to stop... Now you are telling people they are doing something wrong if 200 dollars is a lot to them? Some people have a family and children and bills and trials. You are a fool.

Can you stop being so sensitive? I'm telling you how it is for the majority of the applicants. And as I've said before, we are having a CIVILIZED discussion here. If you're going to jump on people for just a little bit of criticism then you need to re-evaluate going into medical school.

People DIDN'T know about the $200 refund until a couple of days ago. To all of them, they didn't expect the $200, nor did they PLAN on getting it back. People all PLAN for these contingencies, especially for medical school when acceptances are uncertain. $200 is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. You're going to be a physician. $200 is a small investment, plus there's nothing wrong with waiting three months to get that $200 back.

If you need to scrounge $200 and you absolutely needed it immediately, then you probably shouldn't have been applying to medical school in the first place without at least more money saved up. Application process is expensive. Deal with it.

Obviously if some emergency comes up, then you get that $200 back immediately if need be, but for most applicants, this will NOT be the case.

Last edited:
I thought that schools only rescind their acceptance if you get arrested, embellish/lie on your application, or get an IA.

I thought that schools only rescind their acceptance if you get arrested, embellish/lie on your application, or get an IA.

Well, better be safe than sorry right? If you already put down the $3000, you can wait a couple of months to get that $200 back.

LOL the $200 refund is nothing more than a profit scheme in order to give out more acceptances in order to get that $3,000 deposit. Let's think of it this way. BCOM has already given out all seats available. The profit way of thinking is to offer some incentives to gain more seats to give out at a small fee in order to make more money. As a business, would you give up $200 to make $3,000 in profit? It's too easy.

Can you stop being so sensitive? I'm telling you how it is for the majority of the applicants. And as I've said before, we are having a CIVILIZED discussion here. If you're going to jump on people for just a little bit of criticism then you need to re-evaluate going into medical school.

People DIDN'T know about the $200 refund until a couple of days ago. To all of them, they didn't expect the $200, nor did they PLAN on getting it back. People all PLAN for these contingencies, especially for medical school. $200 is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. You're going to be a physician. $200 is a small investment, plus there's nothing wrong with waiting three months to get that $200 back.

If you need to scrounge $200 and you absolutely needed it immediately, then you probably shouldn't have been applying to medical school in the first place without at least more money saved up. Application process is expensive. Deal with it.

Obviously if some emergency comes up, then you get that $200 back immediately if need be, but for most applicants, this will NOT be the case.

3748023.gif
1420089640175.jpg

LOL the $200 refund is nothing more than a profit scheme in order to give out more acceptances in order to get that $3,000 deposit. Let's think of it this way. BCOM has already given out all seats available. The profit way of thinking is to offer some incentives to gain more seats to give out at a small fee in order to make more money. As a business, would you give up $200 to make $3,000 in profit? It's too easy.

And yet, some people DON'T understand this and start jumping at the smallest sign of criticism.

And yet, some people DON'T understand this and start jumping at the smallest sign of criticism.
I'm not even talking about the stupid 200 dollar refund. To me that's not a lot of money. Get off that idea. But when someone tells you that it IS alot of money to them, why can't you respect that?? No. Instead you tell them they "are doing something wrong." I am sure your future patients will LOVE that attitude from their physician. Only your opinion & situation matters, huh?

Forget about this dumb refund, you judge people and it is disgusting. Be nice.

I'm not even talking about the stupid 200 dollar refund. To me that's not a lot of many. Get off that idea. But when someone tells you that is IS alot of money to them, why can't you respect that?? No. Instead you tell them they "are doing something wrong." I am sure your future patients will LOVE that attitude from their physician. Only your opinion & situation matters, huh?

Forget about this dumb refund, you judge people and it is disgusting. Be nice.

$200 is a LOT of money to me. I'm not saying it isn't. When it comes to application process, however, it isn't. I expected this money to be gone. If I get it back, then hooray! But if I don't, I'm not going to complain, because I expected it to be spent and gone. As we all know, not every school is going to accept us. We expect at least some schools to reject us without any II. In that case, I would've been okay with that, even if I lost $1000 applying to schools that eventually rejected me.

I set aside some of my funds I make for this application process, whether it is $5000 or $10000. I expect all of this to be almost gone during this application season. If I can't afford to apply for medical school, then I would've waited another year to save up some more.

But more to the point...I never said that people should WASTE that $200 and to not get it back. I said that it is fine to wait until the DEADLINE before that refund was due so you can get that back.

I never said I wouldn't respect that. What I said is that if he needs that $200 desperately in the middle of an application cycle for bills then he probably didn't save enough for the application process and it probably wasn't a wise decision to apply with a shortage of funds, especially if three months could not wait. It wasn't an insult to him.

Last edited:
$200 is a LOT of money to me. I'm not saying it isn't. When it comes to application process, however, it isn't. I expected this money to be gone. If I get it back, then hooray! But if I don't, I'm not going to complain, because I expected it to be spent and gone. As we all know, not every school is going to accept us. We expect at least some schools to reject us without any II. In that case, I would've been okay with that, even if I lost $1000 applying to schools that eventually rejected me.

I set aside some of my funds I make for this application process, whether it is $5000 or $10000. I expect all of this to be almost gone during this application season. If I can't afford to apply for medical school, then I would've waited another year to save up some more.

But more to the point...I never said that people should WASTE that $200 and to not get it back. I said that it is fine to wait until the DEADLINE before that refund was due so you can get that back.

I'm not some spoiled guy who has his parents pay for everything. I work in a full time job, and I always overestimate how much I need to save for this application process.
Again, it's allllllllll about your situation, huh? You're missing the point completely. I'm asking you to stop judging others! Who cares how much you saved or how much you are EXPECTING to lose. When someone gives you THEIR opinion, respect it. They arent you and you arent them... Doesnt mean they are doing something wrong.

Since you will probably just read this and then make another post all about you, consider me done with this conversation. I feel like I am talking to a wall anyways bc you can't see the point.

@RurouniKarly

Again, it's allllllllll about your situation, huh? You're missing the point completely. I'm asking you to stop judging others! Who cares how much you saved or how much you are EXPECTING to lose. When someone gives you THEIR opinion, respect it. They arent you and you arent them... Doesnt mean they are doing something wrong.

Since you will probably just read this and then make another post all about you, consider me done with this conversation. I feel like I am talking to a wall anyways bc you can't see the point.

@RurouniKarly

I guess we have a difference in opinion. That's fine. I understand what you are saying, but you are honestly making a bigger deal than it really has to be. If he chooses to get that $200 back early and he absolutely needed it, then by all means, he should. I did mention that before, didn't I? I also mentioned that for most people IMO in this position wouldn't mind waiting three more months for that $200 refund. Burrell may even increase that refund number later.

But seriously, you don't need to be all sensitive about this. It's a forum, and people are going to exchange ideas, whether you agree with them or not.

I feel exactly the same as you, so let's just agree to disagree. If you believe $200 is a lot now vs. waiting three months (and you're getting that $200 back eventually,) then there really isn't anything left to talk about.

Last edited:
@mathnerd88

Chill out dude. You have an inflammatory way of saying things and an insistence that your particular perspective is the standard for everyone, and when people call you on this you get EXTREMELY touchy. I want you to read back through your posts on this thread and ask yourself if the way you keep reacting to criticism is mature or reasonable. There is no reason to derail the thread with ad hominem attacks on other users or start ranting and raving about how everyone is being mean to you and everyone else is the problem.

Additionally, it seems that you do not like this school, and with your other acceptances it seems highly unlikely you would attend even if they took you. So why are you here? Why do you keep causing drama in this particular thread?

Reactions: 2 users
I love how @mathnerd88 goes back and edits each of his posts 5 times to cover his butt and make himself look like he didnt originally say what was said ha!

I love how @mathnerd88 goes back and edits each of his posts 5 times to cover his butt and make himself look like he didnt originally say what was said ha!

As with all my posts, I edit it because of grammar mistakes, and sometimes I cannot articulate exactly what I mean. Thus, my personal and secondary essays go through numerous revisions. I tend to think faster than what I can articulate.

I don't edit it in hopes of changing what I originally intended to make my posts sound better after you've already read it.

Last edited:
@mathnerd88

Chill out dude. You have an inflammatory way of saying things and an insistence that your particular perspective is the standard for everyone, and when people call you on this you get EXTREMELY touchy. I want you to read back through your posts on this thread and ask yourself if the way you keep reacting to criticism is mature or reasonable. There is no reason to derail the thread with ad hominem attacks on other users or start ranting and raving about how everyone is being mean to you and everyone else is the problem.

Additionally, it seems that you do not like this school, and with your other acceptances it seems highly unlikely you would attend even if they took you. So why are you here? Why do you keep causing drama in this particular thread?

This is a debate. There are people siding with you and there are people who don't. Just like there are people who agree with me and people who don't. Inflammatory comments or not, I believe I still gave good advice.

I said people are being very sensitive to what I have to say, not that they're being mean to me. This is a forum, not a support group. I'm not really being touchy, and I don't really take offense to anything on here.

There are also others who don't want to be a part of this because we're acting like a bunch of immature high school idiots and like to just see us call each other out on stupid things. @bdh2828 (IMO they're the smart ones.)

Last edited:
This is a debate. There are people siding with you and there are people who don't. Just like there are people who agree with me and people who don't.

I said people are being very sensitive to what I have to say, not that they're being mean to me. This is a forum, not a support group. I'm not really being touchy, and I don't really take offense to anything on here.

There are also others who don't want to be a part of this because we're acting like a bunch of immature high school idiots and like to just see us call each other out on stupid things. @bdh2828 (IMO they're the smart ones.)

But on a side note, this thread has WAY more posts than any other medical school specific thread.

Well let's all be good adults and agree to disagree, irreconcilable differences and such, and move on.

As with all my posts, I edit it because of grammar mistakes, and sometimes I cannot articulate exactly what I mean. Thus, my personal and secondary essays go through numerous revisions. I tend to think faster than what I can articulate.

I don't edit it in hopes of changing what I originally intended to make my posts sound better after you've already read it.

Your initial posts, frankly, are just painful to read, and if you keep posting things that are so inflammatory but ultimately don't "articulate exactly what you mean," then you should probably spend a little more time on them before hitting "post reply." I think this shows you are getting worked up and offended, but decide a few minutes later that you sound like an ass and need to do some damage control.

Your initial posts, frankly, are just painful to read, and if you keep posting things that are so inflammatory but ultimately don't "articulate exactly what you mean," then you should probably spend a little more time on them before hitting "post reply." I think this shows you are getting worked up and offended, but decide a few minutes later that you sound like an ass and need to do some damage control.

Maybe sometimes I like to jump the gun when posting, but it doesn't mean I'm offended by the said post. I just like to respond to posts quickly.

Maybe sometimes I like to jump the gun when posting, but it doesn't mean I'm offended by the said post. I just like to respond to posts quickly.

I'm getting the impression that your initial posts are your knee jerk reactions (which are not flattering to you), and your edits are the more diplomatic way of phrasing things. Try to go with the diplomatic option first.

I'm getting the impression that your initial posts are your knee jerk reactions (which are not flattering to you), and your edits are the more diplomatic way of phrasing things. Try to go with the diplomatic option first.

I understand. I know I have a problem with these knee jerk reactions. I sincerely appreciate your advice.

man the above conversation is so pc. can't wait until some of you go into a real ER and see physicians making Darwin jokes.

man the above conversation is so pc. can't wait until some of you go into a real ER and see physicians making Darwin jokes.
i understand the need for humor and some emotional relief when dealing with patients but you do also need to keep in mind that there is a line between having fun and being hurtful to colleagues and patients. in efforts to not be another tiffany ingham type example for patients to sue for libel/slander and malpractice http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/tiffany-ingham-malpractice_n_7657956.html ... physicians should show leadership and professional decorum in their work and strive to not make jokes of patients and their real medical problems. doctors are naturally seen as leaders of the team and other providers and staff will look to you for setting the tone of the work culture and enviornment and how they should in turn act - especially in the chaotic environment of the ER, you cannot expect patients to be civil to you (they should be, but many times they will be hostile or angry) but you should try to maintain a professional attitude when you are treating them

This thread has gone way off course lol, best of luck to all applying!

I experience this all the time in the hospital, and even in the workplace. It's nothing new, and people really need to grow thick skin or else they will be constantly made fun of. Being "PC," and even as South Park episodes recently have been portraying, is actually sometimes not a good thing. It causes fear in everyone in having to actually "say the right thing."

I know there's company policies against harassment and to maintain professionalism, but if you're going to be working with someone for at least 8 hours, some humor is greatly appreciated. I even get humor during my shadowing experiences. There has to be a line that is drawn, and obviously making fun of patients in front of them is strictly forbidden. You learn to discuss things behind closed doors so others cannot hear.

Believe it or not, there is some strict hierarchal sense in the hospital. As a resident or a medical student in rotations, you're always going to be someone's slave. They're not going to be nice to you and hold your hand the whole way. It's just the nature of the job.

Last edited:
I have my interview on the 15th, but after reading these most recent posts I am getting pretty discouraged. I truly want to go to this school and I have since the beginning. Am I just interviewing for a wait-list spot? People with better stats than me have been getting waitlisted

I have my interview on the 15th, but after reading these most recent posts I am getting pretty discouraged. I truly want to go to this school and I have since the beginning. Am I just interviewing for a wait-list spot? People with better stats than me have been getting waitlisted
it's not about stats. If you fit the mission and interview well you have a good chance of being accepted.