Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Talked with Adrian last week. He said that there was a handful of people giving up their spots and they are expecting to see some movements in the coming weeks. Also, mentioned that there's approx. 25-30 people on DA list but they are hoping to get through the DA and a good portion of the waitlist. Unfortunately, he also said that they received a large number of very qualified applicants towards the end of the cycle due to some hopping over from MD last minute (which puts them on the DA list).

Hey strawkittii,

Did Adrian mentioned if currently there's 25-30 people still waiting to hear back from the DA list or that that list had 25-30 people to begin with? I do hope they get through a good portion of the WL.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey strawkittii,

Did Adrian mentioned if currently there's 25-30 people still waiting to hear back from the DA list or that that list had 25-30 people to begin with? I do hope they get through a good portion of the WL.
That must be the amount of people that are still in the DA list because when I spoke to him about 6-7 weeks ago he mentioned to me that there was about 50 people in the DA list. Stay positive though :)

Hey strawkittii,

I believe it's the number of people still waiting to hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the DA list and received an email this evening ...looks promising so keep positive :)

To summarize -they plan to have some movement soon so start planning financially. It also encouraged people with several acceptances to notify them

hey gang - soooooo about this summer reading list.... its graded on canvas as pass/fail but... does anyone know any specifics on what happens if these aren't completed? i was accepted off the alternate list a few weeks ago and wasn't aware we would technically have summer 'work' and i'm going to be traveling outside the US for the next five weeks to places that 100% will leave me with no internet connection for significant stretches of time. i wanted to see if anyone here had an idea about a similar situation before i email Brett or message the group leader via canvas to see what the repercussions are. thanks y'all!

hey gang - soooooo about this summer reading list.... its graded on canvas as pass/fail but... does anyone know any specifics on what happens if these aren't completed? i was accepted off the alternate list a few weeks ago and wasn't aware we would technically have summer 'work' and i'm going to be traveling outside the US for the next five weeks to places that 100% will leave me with no internet connection for significant stretches of time. i wanted to see if anyone here had an idea about a similar situation before i email Brett or message the group leader via canvas to see what the repercussions are. thanks y'all!
You're fine. Just relax about it. Email Brett/your course instructor. I would suggest doing the reading because it's beneficial as a student, but I wouldn't worry that this is somehow going to get you removed. They're aware that students will be rolling in at different points. The purpose of the assignments is simply for enrichment and to begin communication between students.

Congratulations, by the way. For the benefit of the people on this page, were you accepted of the Deferred Acceptance list, or the Wait list?

Reactions: 1 users
person said "alternate list a few weeks ago", most likely the DA.

I was trying to clarify. Many schools call their wait list an alternate list, hence my question. Thank you, though.

Hi everyone,

Just an update, I was pulled off the DA list earlier today and it looks like there has been a lot of movement recently. So for those of you that are still waiting, don't get discouraged!

Reactions: 1 users
To summarize -they plan to have some movement soon so start planning financially. It also encouraged people with several acceptances to notify them
They already have a list of who has multiple acceptances. AACOMAS sends a list out to every school with a list of students who hold multiple seats. This is sent out May 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
They already have a list of who has multiple acceptances. AACOMAS sends a list out to every school with a list of students who hold multiple seats. This is sent out May 15th.
My guess is they are giving those with multiple acceptances one more chance before dropping them

For those on the waitlist who haven't inquired about their place on it, there are literally 400 people on it. fyi

My guess is they are giving those with multiple acceptances one more chance before dropping them
They give them a 15 days notice before termination. Tithe schools should be pretty much done thinning out multiple acceptances for the most part.

For those on the waitlist who haven't inquired about their place on it, there are literally 400 people on it. fyi

yup 410 to be exact & its not expected that they will reach halfway.

So it sounds like the waitlist won't move very much, but are they expecting movement soon?

Even if not halfway, they expect to still reach it??

that's i'm unsure about - but to me doesn't seem like they will. they still have 25-30 students on their DA list & realistically even if ppl do drop out throughout the summer - i don't see it being more than the 25-30 & those seats will go the DA list first.

But then again I could be wrong. We will just have to wait and see.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted........ off of the "Alternative List", assuming it's the wait list. I interviewed mid-September, I think. It was many beers ago.

However, I'm declining my seat. Good luck.

May the odds be in your favor.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone still on the da list.. Have you guys started to get preapproved for loans?

Anyone still on the da list.. Have you guys started to get preapproved for loans?
I am I have looked into different loans and options and will start preapproval paper work this week ..... You???

Any luck getting pulled off now that they've dipped into the standard WL?

Ah not yet but I'm crossing my fingers! If there is really 410 on the waitlist and Dr. M told me that there are 4 quartiles, there should be about 102 people per. Saying that, I'm probably at the end of the first so I don't expect much either. We'll see, I re-applied this cycle too just in case

I am I have looked into different loans and options and will start preapproval paper work this week ..... You???

I'm going to start too, actually called the New Mexico Student Loan this morning at the 717-254-2374 number because on their website I don't see our school and the lady told me they pulled out the lender? So I'm confused. Our deadline to get preapproved is June 30th correct?

Has it been confirmed that they are pulling from the waitlist now?

Hard to say - based earlier posts it seems so but then someone posted they are on the DA list. :shrug:

Yes, the user above was not accepted off of the DA list. If you scroll back several pages, other non-DA's have also been pulled in the past. It looks like they're vacillating between the two lists based on some criteria.

While this is entirely speculation, I think it's fair to say that some regular waitlistees have what the school is looking for at this moment over those on the DA list. Better stats (GPA/MCAT) are the first thing that come to mind.

Last edited:
I'm going to start too, actually called the New Mexico Student Loan this morning at the 717-254-2374 number because on their website I don't see our school and the lady told me they pulled out the lender? So I'm confused. Our deadline to get preapproved is June 30th correct?

Initially the loan was for 20K. NMSL upped it to 76K but they went offline for 3-5 days. Should be back soon

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was informed the DA list and Wait list are ranked using a formula composed of GPA/MCAT/Interview Scores with interview scores carrying a little more weigh than GPA and MCAT. Basically if you had only average stats a high interview score could get you on the DA list and if you had a bad interview your high GPA and MCAT could keep you in the game with the wait list. Regardless everyone knows their weak points so if one of these categories is weak for you the other 2 kept you in the game. If you have high GPA and MCAT and you got denied or wait listed its clear your interview didn't go well.

I was informed the DA list and Wait list are ranked using a formula composed of GPA/MCAT/Interview Scores with interview scores carrying a little more weigh than GPA and MCAT. Basically if you had only average stats a high interview score could get you on the DA list and if you had a bad interview your high GPA and MCAT could keep you in the game with the wait list. Regardless everyone knows their weak points so if one of these categories is weak for you the other 2 kept you in the game. If you have high GPA and MCAT and you got denied or wait listed its clear your interview didn't go well.
That helps. Did you get in at last?

What happened? You picked ATSOMA right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

yes, i made the decision based on proximity and convenience rather than where my heart was. not a fan of CHCs and regret not having bcoms rotation sites (good deal will be ward based) more than anything.

yes, i made the decision based on proximity and convenience rather than where my heart was. not a fan of CHCs and regret not having bcoms rotation sites (good deal will be ward based) more than anything.
What do you mean "CHCs"?

We'll be two months from the start date for classes tomorrow. I hope if there is movement, it happens soon so everyone has time to get settled in.

We'll be two months from the start date for classes tomorrow. I hope if there is movement, it happens soon so everyone has time to get settled in.
Are you on the da list or wait list?

Does anybody know how many students are still on the DA list? Time frame just keeps getting smaller to settle in, if called last minute