Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm trying to decide on a 6th school I am a NY resident MCAT 500 GPA and science GPA isa 3.9. I've applied to AT SOMA
NYIT
VCOM (SC)
LMU
PCOM

One of my scores is a 123 the rest are a 125 and above so I am trying to find a school that will immediately eliminate me by screening

I'm trying to decide on a 6th school I am a NY resident MCAT 500 GPA and science GPA isa 3.9. I've applied to AT SOMA
NYIT
VCOM (SC)
LMU
PCOM

One of my scores is a 123 the rest are a 125 and above so I am trying to find a school that will immediately eliminate me by screening

you mean NOT immediately eliminate you? Contact programs, find their cut offs. MOST programs have this information listed on their website. My understanding is that cut-offs for application become stricter as the cycle continues and the competitiveness of the application pool increases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how many students are still on the DA list? Time frame just keeps getting smaller to settle in, if called last minute

My guess is 10 or so. Based on movement I've seen and my conversations with staff. It's anyone's guess though.

Rejected from the waitlist. Probably time to look elsewhere if you're on that 400+ person limbo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected from the waitlist. Probably time to look elsewhere if you're on that 400+ person limbo.

Did you get the news today? When were you wait listed?

I'm sorry dude, but it seems like you're wait listed at several other schools so good luck to you!!

Hi,

Just wanted to ask how important it is to know or speak Spanish? Is this something to make it known to BCOM admissions? I have studied Spanish for many years, but I could only really talk in a conversational manner...

Hi,

Just wanted to ask how important it is to know or speak Spanish? Is this something to make it known to BCOM admissions? I have studied Spanish for many years, but I could only really talk in a conversational manner...

It certainly won't hurt your case. But if you claim to speak Spanish be prepared because I'm pretty sure a good percent of our admissions and faculty can speak Spanish. Speaking Spanish helps you to match the mission even more. I have fallen in love with the language and do not want to lose it when I go to school. This made BCOM even more appealing to me. I know we will for sure be taking a class in medical Spanish. However, I'm excited to see how else it is integrated into the curriculum.

It certainly won't hurt your case. But if you claim to speak Spanish be prepared because I'm pretty sure a good percent of our admissions and faculty can speak Spanish. Speaking Spanish helps you to match the mission even more. I have fallen in love with the language and do not want to lose it when I go to school. This made BCOM even more appealing to me. I know we will for sure be taking a class in medical Spanish. However, I'm excited to see how else it is integrated into the curriculum.

So, here's my situation: I have taken Spanish since high school, and three courses in college to meet my language requirement. I have not spoken it in the past 1.5 years but if I spend one day opening my spanish book I will remember much of it. I don't know how to convey this to the school. In all honesty, if I taking a medical spanish class is expected then I would want to take an extra Spanish class at my local CC to better prepare myself. I am interested in using spanish to converse with patients but it would take a lot of training to reach the point where I could conduct a history, physical examination, etc.

Right now, since the new secondary is a 2 minute Youtube video, I want to end my video speaking about 15 seconds of spanish explaining my interest in speaking it but also noting I am not a native speaker...

Did you get the news today? When were you wait listed?

I'm sorry dude, but it seems like you're wait listed at several other schools so good luck to you!!

Thank you! Yeah there's three others for me to wait for. (Hint: Hopefully I'll be at a school located within spitting distance of Las Vegas in August.) Honestly I've come to terms with my plan B though. Probably time to move on in life if these three fall through.

Anyone with under a 500 MCAT mind sharing if you were accepted and what your GPA was and if there was anything "unusual"/ nontraditional about your app?

Last edited:
Was looking on an acceptance thread and I see a large amount of students were accepted the same day you interviewed. Did you know you were accepted before you left the campus or was this information transmitted electronically?

Was looking on an acceptance thread and I see a large amount of students were accepted the same day you interviewed. Did you know you were accepted before you left the campus or was this information transmitted electronically?

Through email, they tell you your status the night of the interview

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yep I was accepted about 3-4 hours after the interview. Right before I was boarding the flight. Email sent at 5:20 PM Las Cruces time.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep I was accepted about 3-4 hours after the interview. Right before I was boarding the flight. Email sent at 5:20 PM Las Cruces time.

Through email, they tell you your status the night of the interview
Very neat. Seems like they have a very clear idea of what they want in a student. Only con is 28 day deposit...which is only minor. Would most students pay 3k early in the cycle if it meant they had an acceptance? I would.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

So, here's my situation: I have taken Spanish since high school, and three courses in college to meet my language requirement. I have not spoken it in the past 1.5 years but if I spend one day opening my spanish book I will remember much of it. I don't know how to convey this to the school. In all honesty, if I taking a medical spanish class is expected then I would want to take an extra Spanish class at my local CC to better prepare myself. I am interested in using spanish to converse with patients but it would take a lot of training to reach the point where I could conduct a history, physical examination, etc.

Right now, since the new secondary is a 2 minute Youtube video, I want to end my video speaking about 15 seconds of spanish explaining my interest in speaking it but also noting I am not a native speaker...
That's cool! you got this! In my interview, they saw I lived in Peru and started interviewing me in Spanish. So, there we went, half of my interview was in Spanish and it was awesome! This is a rare case though, don't let that worry you. Just tell them exactly what you've said here about your interest in the language and your studies.

Did you fly in and out of El Paso? I see Las Cruces has an airport but i can not find anything in and out of there.

Did you fly in and out of El Paso? I see Las Cruces has an airport but i can not find anything in and out of there.

Yeah man flew into El Paso and then rented a car. Some people flew into Las Cruces but it was for double the price from what I remember.

I didn't know we could fly out of cruces, I thought it was private. But yeah El Paso airport is small. You just come down some stairs and the rentals are right there and then you literally go down a street, turn right on to hit the highway and go till you're in NM and see BCOM off the side of the highway along with NMSU's fields and stuff. Exit university ave and you're there. Driven the airport to BCOM route a few times, 50 min ish depending on traffic

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I didn't know we could fly out of cruces, I thought it was private. But yeah El Paso airport is small. You just come down some stairs and the rentals are right there and then you literally go down a street, turn right on to hit the highway and go till you're in NM and see BCOM off the side of the highway along with NMSU's fields and stuff. Exit university ave and you're there. Driven the airport to BCOM route a few times, 50 min ish depending on traffic

Sweet, sounds like a good setup. I am sure you are right about Las Cruces airport, explains why i couldnt find any flights.

you mean NOT immediately eliminate you? Contact programs, find their cut offs. MOST programs have this information listed on their website. My understanding is that cut-offs for application become stricter as the cycle continues and the competitiveness of the application pool increases.
oh jeez yes I meant not eliminate thanks for the reply!

It's shut down. military and emergencies only. el paso is best bet.

Hi, congratulations on starting your first year of medical school! If by any chance you have a few moments, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions about your experience before, during and after applying?

Lol that's what happened to me. That was a long wait from August to now...

I rescinded my acceptance here, today, but I must say it was a hard decision! I had 7 interview invites and attended only 4--I was accepted into all 4 of the schools. I say this because BCOM, and new schools in general, get a lot of flack for not being a proven institution and not having the experienced staff, instructors, and/or residency positions needed to succeed. However, BCOM was an exception to the rule IMO. BCOM, has such amazing staff members, board members, and instructors. They have a state-of-the-art facility and a very mature and non-traditional heavy class matriculating for the class of 2020. I hope my acceptance goes to someone who thoroughly enjoys the idea of BCOM and the mission it is leading in the southwest and especially NM area.

Best of luck to you all!! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Has there been any word on movement or potential movement?

Has there been any word on movement or potential movement?

They have cut down the WL from 300-400 to about 100 students; spoke with admissions - there has been movement but slow.

I would have suspected the majority of wait list movement would have or will happen around the beginning of July, since the June 15rh data release gives the schools the opportunity to respond to students with multiple acceptances effectively giving those students 2 weeks from the time they were notified to pick one school.

Well, someone gave up their seat at my top choice school and I was offered admission. I'm ecstatic and very ready to begin. I'm glad that I can give that same feeling to someone else. I will be giving up my seat tomorrow. Whoever gets my spot, good luck!

Can someone more clearly explain the financial aid situation at this school? I have looked around within this post, and got lost in all the trolling. I am trying to decide if I should apply or not based on if I would need a private loan. Thank you.

Can someone more clearly explain the financial aid situation at this school? I have looked around within this post, and got lost in all the trolling. I am trying to decide if I should apply or not based on if I would need a private loan. Thank you.

We've got some explanations really recent in the 16'-17' thread

Reactions: 1 users
A kid just gave up his seat today. I'm not sure who's next up on the wait list but whoever it is get ready for an important phone call.

For those who have interviewed, can I ask what you did to prepare? What was the interview format like? This is my first interview and I don't know what to expect/how to prepare/what to wear... haha

For those who have interviewed, can I ask what you did to prepare? What was the interview format like? This is my first interview and I don't know what to expect/how to prepare/what to wear... haha

If you are a guy, wear a clean, ironed suit, tie, and dress shoes. The interview will be a panel of people who will want to get to know you.
Being relaxed will be your best bet. Go in expecting to answer with what you've put in your application. Own up to any past mistakes and get ready to defend any tough decisions you've made academically and elsewhere in life.
Be yourself, and teach yourself to not get nervous. Rehearsed answers wont get you too far anyways. Lastly, its completely understandable to take a moment to think before you begin! Think about what you are going to say and what points you are going to make. After you've made them, find a way to come to a sound conclusion. Don't keep rambling on and on.

Good luck!

I'm declining my spot. Good luck to those who are still waiting.
Bcom.png

Is there a facebook group for the people who are going here? If so could I please be added :)

Can those who were/are accepted post some stats? It would be nice to see. Thank you.

Can those who were/are accepted post some stats? It would be nice to see. Thank you.
Matriculating here with a 3.5+ and 28+

This was far and away my first choice. I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got a call that I was next on the wait list, but I passed on the offer. Good luck to the rest of you waiting!

Last edited:
Accepted! Never give up hope on the waitlist, guys! I'm beyond thrilled - this was my first choice! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!! After you celebrate this moment with your friends and family, if you have a few moments, I'd love to ask you a few questions re: your application experience :)

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! After you celebrate this moment with your friends and family, if you have a few moments, I'd love to ask you a few questions re: your application experience :)

Absolutely! Please PM me for stats. I am very non-trad and my values align closely with the BCOM mission. I love that BCOM is so transparent with their application process. I wish I had more than a week to get to Las Cruces (coming from California) but it's a no-brainer decision to be a part of this inaugural class.

Best of luck. I seriously thought I'd have to take another year as a reapplicant but BCOM just made my dreams come true.

Hey @Mreeni , I just got off the waitlist and got my call today. I can't believe this!! I am also from California. Perhaps we can get in touch? I have less than a week to get down there and get ready.

Has anyone received a secondary from Burrell yet? I submitted my primary for them on July 26th.

Yes, many people have. Many II have also went out.

Retook the mcat so I'm hoping I have a shot here.... I hate waiting for my score -_- but I got a 496 the first time with a 3.6/3.5 gpa