Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's very true. If getting an interview, I wonder if it's even worth it to go? Do schools normally offer extensions?
My plan is to hold out for an interview elsewhere before moving my BCOM one. If given an interview at any other schools that are higher on my list than BCOM, I will change my interview to a later date and hope I get an acceptance by then. But if not, an interview is an interview and I will just bite the bullet.

Members don't see this ad.

In all honesty, if you feel confident in your application and feel like you interview well, then I wouldn't pay the deposit unless it is your top choice. I paid the deposit and quite honestly I am glad I did or Else I would ha e panicked. BCOM is going to be an amazing school. I turned down 3 other schools for BCOM after initially thinking I would have taken any other school over BCOM. But, little did I know BCOM grew on me and became he better choice for me out of all the other schools I was accepted at. Fortunately for me, though, i was accepted into my state school and I am very excited to attend there. BCOM is no joke. If you interview there, you WILL love it and the staff.

Reactions: 1 users
@OrdinaryDO funny you post this i was just contemplating this problem. So far ALL experiences with BCOM has been amazing. I go on 8/26 for their interview. Everything i have scoped out about this school is +++ (minus loans).

I have another interview 8/5, but it is a school historically that doesnt notify of acceptances until at the very least October.

Logically, this school, LECOM-B, has lower tuition and proven track record, so I would have to take it. But, if accepted to BCOM I would have to pay my deposit (if accepted, they notify same day i have seen) before i hear back from Bradenton. I dont have the luxury (in my opinion) of passing up a seat anywhere.

Was thinking of rescheduling my BCOM interview so I can decide which deposit to put in out of the two (if fortunate enough to get to choose). I am worried pushing back I might hurt my chances as I won't be in the first pool anymore.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@OrdinaryDO funny you post this i was just contemplating this problem. So far ALL experiences with BCOM has been amazing. I go on 8/26 for their interview. Everything i have scoped out about this school is +++ (minus loans).

I have another interview 8/5, but it is a school historically that doesnt notify of acceptances until at the very least October.

Logically, this school, LECOM-B, has lower tuition and proven track record, so I would have to take it. But, if accepted to BCOM I would have to pay my deposit (if accepted, they notify same day i have seen) before i hear back from Bradenton. I dont have the luxury (in my opinion) of passing up a seat anywhere.

Was thinking of rescheduling my BCOM interview so I can decide which deposit to put in out of the two (if fortunate enough to get to choose). I am worried pushing back I might hurt my chances as I won't be in the first pool anymore.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
I am thinking of doing the same thing, pushing back the interview. I definitely am not in the position to be turning down a seat, but I am really confident in my interview skills and I think I could do a great job if invited elsewhere. Wouldn't Sept/October still be pretty darn early?

The whole thing is a gamble. My advice will always be conservative given how hard the app process is/is getting. If you have an interview. Take it. If you get an acceptance. Pay the deposit. Can always change your mind later.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The whole thing is a gamble. My advice will always be conservative given how hard the app process is/is getting. If you have an interview. Take it. If you get an acceptance. Pay the deposit. Can always change your mind later.

I agree 100%. However, do you think it makes sense to postpone an early interview to avoid paying 3,000 before like October?

Only you can judge that. I interviewed very very early and I bit the Bullet, took the earliest date available and paid it. It was worth it to me to know I had a spot.

If you're super competitive then maybe t will be worth it to postpone. I didn't feel comfortable taking the risk.

Reactions: 2 users
I will echo similar sentiments, BCOM looks fantastic, take the interview and pay deposit if lucky enough to get in. Getting into medical school is a statistical miracle, don't play with it

Reactions: 2 users
I will echo similar sentiments, BCOM looks fantastic, take the interview and pay deposit if lucky enough to get in. Getting into medical school is a statistical miracle, don't play with it
When you put it this way, I don't plan on taking any chances

I'm kind of worried that I received nothing from BCOM so far and they already have interviews scheduled out to end of August. Seems that they interviewed really early last year too :\ Does anyone know if it means my application was pushed to the back of the pack since I submitted the day I received secondary?

I'm kind of worried that I received nothing from BCOM so far and they already have interviews scheduled out to end of August. Seems that they interviewed really early last year too :\ Does anyone know if it means my application was pushed to the back of the pack since I submitted the day I received secondary?

They haven't "scheduled out to the end of August" necessarily. The only dates I've seen on here that they have offered for interviews were Aug 22, 26, and 29. They very well could have planned to start interviews on the 22nd. Last year my application was very late-- I mean really late. They still sent me a secondary.

Hang tight. It doesn't mean you were pushed to the back. These schools get TONS of applications each cycle. It's possible they just didn't get to yours yet.

So, since BCOM is focused on providing medical care to the underserved border and hispanic populations, and we'll be learning conversational and medical spanish, might it be a good idea to do my whole secondary video in Spanish? I'm a fluent speaker, having lived for a couple of years in Chile, and I feel like it might set me apart. Or am I crazy for trying to "stand out" like that? Some gringo speaking Spanish in his video? Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it odd that school has an acceptance policy of 30 days? Seems odd to me.
What does that mean? We have 30 days to accept? What if we have other schools we are hearing back from?

I submitted my secondary today, and on the application status page, it says that my "letter of recommendation" and "MCAT" are "incomplete"; yet I've included those in my AACOMAS application. Is that the case with anyone else?

I submitted my secondary today, and on the application status page, it says that my "letter of recommendation" and "MCAT" are "incomplete"; yet I've included those in my AACOMAS application. Is that the case with anyone else?
Almost everyone. Don't worry about it. Their system doesn't automatically update itself. If they have your AACOMAS they have them.

@femmegoblue called them about it and I think she said it's like that for everyone. My documents are marked as "incomplete" too so I think it's a technical issue.

I'm confused why that would push you to the back of the pack?

You should do it! #DatFluencyAdvantage
I don't know that I would completely speak spanish in the video. Your communication from the school has been in english, however interjecting spanish into your video would be very useful. I would also highlight being bilingual in your interview/other aspects of your application.

What if the person viewing your secondary doesn't speak spanish?

I don't know that I would completely speak spanish in the video. Your communication from the school has been in english, however interjecting spanish into your video would be very useful. I would also highlight being bilingual in your interview/other aspects of your application.

What if the person viewing your secondary doesn't speak spanish?

That's true! I'll probably mix it in, to prove I know it and to show I know the mission of the school. Thanks for the advice :)

That's true! I'll probably mix it in, to prove I know it and to show I know the mission of the school. Thanks for the advice :)

Question to you: any tips on how to roll the R's when speaking Spanish? I never tried to learn because I can't roll my Rs. Literally everyone I know, including both my parents, can do it :(

The saying "three" over and over again really helped!!! You give solid advice, tyvm!!

Last edited:
Question to you: any tips on how to roll the R's when speaking Spanish? I never tried to learn because I can't roll my Rs. Literally everyone I know, including both my parents, can do it :(

Yeah! When you're rolling your R's, you want to put your tongue very lightly towards the roof of your mouth (similar to where you might place your tongue when saying the letter "L") and push air past it. Ideally you want the tip of your tongue to be relaxed, with the base of the tongue flexed and pushed up slightly against your throat to aid in making the air pass more forcefully. The air should go with enough force to make the tongue flap.

Try saying "three" over and over again really really fast. The tongue positioning for the "thr" sound is very similar to the Spanish "R" sound. When you're "pushing air past the tongue" in that position, you'll likely use the same kind of "haaaah" breath that you use to fog up a window, just a little more forcefully, almost like you're sighing. Just practice the positioning and the breathing until you feel the tongue rattling against the roof of the mouth and it happens easily.

I don't know if that makes any sense haha. I'm lucky that it came easy to me, but I know plenty of people that never got the hang of it. It's not a significant barrier to communication either way--parts of Puerto Rico (or is it Costa Rica?) don't even roll their R's at all.

I think you should include Spanish in your video for sure, just not the whole thing. I took a "risk" in my video and it worked in my favor, so I say be yourself and do something unique!

I read that it's actually a speech impediment though not seen in English because we don't have words where those sounds are needed.

I'm in the same boat. Can't roll my r's to save my life.

Some times you can make a "dro" sound and it works. But there are some words where it just sounds silly. If you figure something out lemme know

The saying "three" over and over again really helped!!! You give solid advice, tyvm!!

Glad I could help a little :)

whoa. nvm. lol. losing my mind. we talked about pushing interview dates. nevvvermind. I need a vacation before the fun starts or I will have no brain power left.

Just put in my secondary! I really really like this school's mission, and that they teach conversational and medical Spanish. I hope my short sentence in Spanish and explaining my connection to their mission in a two minute video is enough

Secondary received! :)

"Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may provide a written statement of no more than 500 words showing why you think BCOM is the perfect place for you and what qualities you feel you would bring to BCOM that would help develop and foster the climate of our school or submit a physical exhibit (art piece, published research, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. Exhibit should be sent to: 3501 Arrowhead Drive Las Cruces, NM 88001. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned."

This is the secondary question I have-- it seems very....unorthodox. anyone received something different?
P.S I couldn't find a way to PM @AlteredScale the prompt but this is the one I believe.

So weird. So I want to do the essay option choice, but for my prompt it doesn't say what to write. It says this:

"Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may provide a written statement of no more than 500 words or submit a physical exhibit (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. The video will need to be marked Public or Public not listed. It cannot be marked as Private. Exhibit should be sent to: 3501 Arrowhead Drive Las Cruces, NM 88001. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned."

Again, thank you SDN.

So weird. So I want to do the essay option choice, but for my prompt it doesn't say what to write. It says this:

"Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may provide a written statement of no more than 500 words or submit a physical exhibit (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. The video will need to be marked Public or Public not listed. It cannot be marked as Private. Exhibit should be sent to: 3501 Arrowhead Drive Las Cruces, NM 88001. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned."

Again, thank you SDN.
Well, when I got the secondary a few weeks ago, it said "why you are a good fit for BCOM" or something along those lines for the written option.

I emailed admissions and they said its left vague on purpose and to write about whatever you feel will get you an interview.

Do you need to be fluent in Spanish for this school?

Just put in my secondary! I really really like this school's mission, and that they teach conversational and medical Spanish. I hope my short sentence in Spanish and explaining my connection to their mission in a two minute video is enough
Good luck!

Doing WORSE on the MCAT, or doing worse in school, is never good. The standardization between new and old MCAT isn't perfect. So...you might be okay there. You want to see a positive trend in all aspects of your file. However, BCOM seems to take other exams like the GRE into consideration. They're really looking at the entire applicant.

I was unable to find information on them taking the GRE into consideration. Is this in substitution to the MCAT? Would you be able to provide more information on this?

Just receive an II. Second one