Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II via email today. Scheduled for Sept. 12th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know which hotels to avoid? I've seen reviews on the Days Inn that has the "LECOM Rates" and they're horrendous, wondering if it is really that bad or all of them were isolated cases..

When I go onto the portal, it says my supplemental application is "in progress" and there are a bunch of things on the second page that have the red "required" next to them. My interview also doesn't show up, but I already got the invite and picked the date. Anyone else having this problem? Also, how can I make sure they have my letters?
I would also like to know how long it takes for the letters to show up. I submitted 3 (2 Sci, 1 DO) via Interfolio last Friday and all the red X's are still there...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would also like to know how long it takes for the letters to show up. I submitted 3 (2 Sci, 1 DO) via Interfolio last Friday and all the red X's are still there...
FYI, I sent my letters to LECOM - Erie some 4 weeks ago and they still hadn't showed up by last week. I finally contacted Sarah Taylor and she requested me to resubmit the letters because if they haven't showed up yet it was probably due to the AACOMAS ID not being attached to the letters (which, after checking, was my case).

It has been about 3 days since I resent the letters but the check-marks still show the little 'x' on it. I would wait for a week or so before getting worried.

Anyone know which hotels to avoid? I've seen reviews on the Days Inn that has the "LECOM Rates" and they're horrendous, wondering if it is really that bad or all of them were isolated cases..

Got in there for $50 bucks. It's one night, for me - it can't be so bad can it?

I read the reviews and while annoying it's likely tolerable for the price and duration

My virtual evals went up today and it showed up today

My virtual evals went up today and it showed up today

No idea why my school doesn't support virtual evals/inter folio. They mail letters, delays everything

Note: 7/31, 2 weeks after supp submission (1 week after II) all my admissions requirements were checked off, for those worried about the red x's

Q: Does anyone have any numbers on % interviewed, % accepted?
Wish AACOMAS had an MSAR equivalent

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I'm a first year at LECOM and would be willing to let people stay throughout the cycle to save some money. PM me!

When I go onto the portal, it says my supplemental application is "in progress" and there are a bunch of things on the second page that have the red "required" next to them. My interview also doesn't show up, but I already got the invite and picked the date. Anyone else having this problem? Also, how can I make sure they have my letters?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you've called and confirmed your interview you should be okay. They didn't update all of my required items checklist until 3 or 4 days before the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you've called and confirmed your interview you should be okay. They didn't update all of my required items checklist until 3 or 4 days before the interview.

I was supposed to call???!

I never called ... I just clicked a date. I think that's all you have to do.

I found this among past LECOM interview questions and I have to assume this person on SDN was joking but I am a bit freaked out:
"In terms of the ascending and descending tubules describe the flux of Na/K."
"If Marvin the Martian was to abduct you to put you into a mars zoo exhibit, in the process erasing all your memories except for one, what would that one be?"
"Would you consider me obese?"

Last edited:
Congrats on interviews everyone! Make sure to post your stats in the "Official Interview Invite Thread 2014-2015 Cycle" in the Pre-Medical Osteopathic forum so we can keep track of the schools giving out invites!

So the them waiting till September to send out responses a normal phenomena?

Anyone else with early submission still waiting on an II?

Last edited:
Hey guys! When is the deadline for LECOM? is this rolling admissions? I'm sort of out of the loop on the DO applications.

Secondary submitted this morning. Not too sure how long it takes pop up in their system as processing, and after that I'm guessing another week or so until it changes to Under Review. Glad that I'm almost COMPLETE at at least one school though. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
Hey guys! When is the deadline for LECOM? is this rolling admissions? I'm sort of out of the loop on the DO applications.
DO have rolling admissions. Are you looking at maybe applying DO this season or have you already submitted your primary application on AACOMAS?

So excited for my interview this Friday!! I will report back on feelings afterwards :D

Reactions: 5 users
DO have rolling admissions. Are you looking at maybe applying DO this season or have you already submitted your primary application on AACOMAS?

I submitted my primary last month but wasn't sure about DO at the time. Thank you though, that answered my question!

I submitted my primary last month but wasn't sure about DO at the time. Thank you though, that answered my question!
Glad to help! BTW, LECOM secondary deadlines (both B and Erie-Seton Hill) are April 1st, 2015.

Excited...yes. Nervous...yes. Good thing I'm wearing a suit so you won't be able to see muh pit sweats hahaha

very underrated advantage

Waiting a month for a response sucks -.-

Are you a July interviewee?

Last edited:
LECOM usually gives acceptance 1-3 weeks after interview - have the July bros heard anything yet?

The earliest that we can know they said was September

The earliest that we can know they said was September

That's new - looking through last year's threads, even those that interviewed in Late July got decisions by Early August.

Wonder what that means for the later batches? I was looking forward to LECOM's promptness in admissions decisions ...

That's new - looking through last year's threads, even those that interviewed in Late July got decisions by Early August.

Wonder what that means for the later batches? I was looking forward to LECOM's promptness in admissions decisions ...

During interview day you get a chance to decided between options:
  • Find out regular way where acceptances can't be handed out until September.
  • Or the "Early (Assurance?/Decision?)" where you will have a decision made by Sept. 1st I believe but you have to pay the deposit within a couple of weeks.
I don't remember much about it. I just went with the regular option. I'd like more time to be able to make my decision.

So you don't need a letter from a DO until after you are accepted? "If you are accepted for admission, LECOM also requires a letter of recommendation from a osteopathic physician to complete your application."

Looking at previous threads they can't give you a decision until you send that letter

So you don't need a letter from a DO until after you are accepted? "If you are accepted for admission, LECOM also requires a letter of recommendation from a osteopathic physician to complete your application."
I heard it was required to make the decision

I heard it was required to make the decision

Hmm. I wonder why they say that in the interview email then. I am honestly getting a little jaded with DO right now. I like the philosophy, but I have been having a much harder time finding DOs willing to mentor than MD.

Hmm. I wonder why they say that in the interview email then. I am honestly getting a little jaded with DO right now. I like the philosophy, but I have been having a much harder time finding DOs willing to mentor than MD.
I hear ya. Finding a DO to shadow was one task, then actually getting them to submit the LOR was like pulling teeth..

Finally, everything is in. They said they update letters close to before your interview. I got mine resched. from 7/18 to 8/15 and they finally got updated! Hopefully see some sdn people there next week? :) If your going PM me

Finally, everything is in. They said they update letters close to before your interview. I got mine resched. from 7/18 to 8/15 and they finally got updated! Hopefully see some sdn people there next week? :) If your going PM me

See you there !
And good luck you 8/8 guys!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm currently enjoying the Erie air while prepping and earlier went to Wegman's!! So awesome to be reunited with the best grocery store ever, and to those of you who think this is insane you haven't experienced it for yourself :biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
I found @mikerowesvoice today at LECOM- it was a great day. I just got back home, will post more later about the interview!

Edit: here's the low-down on interviews. It was a great day and all of the students there seemed super friendly!

After an informational session and Q&A about curriculum, clinical rotations, and the LECOM network all in Erie we had the interview. Interviews were 1.5 hours in length, group interview format. We had 6 interviewees and 2 interviewers, both PhDs who taught classes at LECOM. I felt great about the interview!

And I think @SandyCheecks said this but you can either have them review your file immediately and have a decision to you by September 30th, or delay them reviewing your app until November 17. As far as I understand, they do NOT review your file and make a decision if you choose the November option until that time comes- some thought they made a decision and held it from you until then, but that doesn't seem to be the case based on the info we got today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
After an informational session and Q&A about curriculum, clinical rotations, and the LECOM network all in Erie we had the interview. Interviews were 1.5 hours in length, group interview format. We had 6 interviewees and 2 interviewers, both PhDs who taught classes at LECOM. I felt great about the interview!

And I think @SandyCheecks said this but you can either have them review your file immediately and have a decision to you by September 30th, or delay them reviewing your app until November 17. As far as I understand, they do NOT review your file and make a decision if you choose the November option until that time comes- some thought they made a decision and held it from you until then, but that doesn't seem to be the case based on the info we got today.

Seems like this is more of a penalty to those who get an interview early in the game. How do they expect you to commit that early when some schools have not even started IIs? At least with the old option they reviewed the app and made a decision regardless of deferment or not.

Seems like this is more of a penalty to those who get an interview early in the game. How do they expect you to commit that early when some schools have not even started IIs? At least with the old option they reviewed the app and made a decision regardless of deferment or not.
Don't quote me on this- can anybody else who interviewed recently confirm?

I found @mikerowesvoice today at LECOM- it was a great day. I just got back home, will post more later about the interview!

Edit: here's the low-down on interviews. It was a great day and all of the students there seemed super friendly!

After an informational session and Q&A about curriculum, clinical rotations, and the LECOM network all in Erie we had the interview. Interviews were 1.5 hours in length, group interview format. We had 6 interviewees and 2 interviewers, both PhDs who taught classes at LECOM. I felt great about the interview

Just a question - in a group interview format how many questions does each person get?

Just a question - in a group interview format how many questions does each person get?
The group was posed 2 questions, the first an introduction and then a question in my case about the school. Each person answered. Then, the interviewers selected questions for each person to answer individually, and then if somebody else got asked a question you had a good answer to you could answer that afterwards. Then, they posed an ethical question to the group as a discussion. Lastly, we were able to ask our interviewer questions (they really helped clarify pathways)!

It seems hard to stand out in a group interview I wonder how they ever pick anyone.

It seems hard to stand out in a group interview I wonder how they ever pick anyone.
I assure you, it wasn't that difficult today to have the true stickshifthonda shine through to the interviewers.