Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It seems from previous years that they had very little alternate list movement and that some people were actually later told that they were "no longer considered" after being waitlisted for a few months. This doesn't make me very hopeful.
I was told by one of the counsellors that they had around 40 people move off the alternate list last year. 8 were moved on the day of orientation. Don't lose hope guys!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was told by one of the counsellors that they had around 40 people move off the alternate list last year. 8 were moved on the day of orientation. Don't lose hope guys!!!
I thought that I had heard that as well but the SDN forums didn't show that there was any movement going on around this time of year. Let's just hope for the best I guess.

I thought that I had heard that as well but the SDN forums didn't show that there was any movement going on around this time of year. Let's just hope for the best I guess.
SDN users aren't the only ones on the waitlist lol! Don't be discouraged!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think us SDN people are in the minority! I personally know people who have been moved off of waitlists at NSU and at other places and never posted about it on SDN. I mean, there's only like what - 10 of us consistently on this thread? And we know with 100% certainty that there are at least 64 on the waitlist - probably more. So be positive! :) If anybody gets off the waitlist, I do hope it's one of our little SDN tribe though - I'm sending you all good thoughts!

Reactions: 1 user
I officially withdrew my seat today. Congratulations to whomever it goes to! NSU-COM is truly an amazing school and it was such a difficult decision to give my seat up. Best of luck to everyone waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
What are you guys doing in the mean time as you wait? I've also been wait listed :-(

I'm just continuing to work FT as a medical assistant for a GI in South Florida and taking an additional class through UF's Distance Learning. What are you all doing? I wish I had some more time to get research experience or volunteer more. I really, really don't want to retake the MCATs. :(

I'm really disappointed that they didn't take photos of us and place them in our files. Excluding NSUCOM, we had our photo taken before every interview.

Why would that matter? Just curious :)

Hey, I spent like two hours getting ready! ;) Florida humidity does NOT mix with my hair. Photo evidence of my hard work would have been nice!
In all honesty, I think they have pictures of us that we submitted with our general app so they can put faces to names, right?

Hey, I spent like two hours getting ready! ;) Florida humidity does NOT mix with my hair. Photo evidence of my hard work would have been nice!
In all honesty, I think they have pictures of us that we submitted with our general app so they can put faces to names, right?
That much makes sense lol

I'm on the waitlist for NSU as well, but I've committed to LMU and will drop my acceptance to NSU if I come off the waitlist. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys heard of anyone dropping their seat yet?

Have you guys heard of anyone dropping their seat yet?
Two people on here have dropped; I'm sure there are others who are not SDN members. Anybody called or heard any updates recently?

Do a lot of people usually drop at this time and if so, for what reasons? Were those 40 people taken off during this period June-July?

Do a lot of people usually drop at this time and if so, for what reasons? Were those 40 people taken off during this period June-July?
She never gave me any specifics like that, but maybe if we check last year's SDN we can find out more!

Hey guys. Nova contacted me a few days ago about joining their MBS program. Was wait listed for the DO program as well.

That's kinda unusual! What did they say? What was their reasoning? A DO and a MBS aren't the same thing...

Thanks for the update!

From what I understand the MBS program is a one year program with curriculum similar to first year of nova's med school, in fact I believe you are in same classes with first years. If you pass all your exams with a certain score you can matriculate into the DO program after one year.

I wonder how many people were accepted around this time last year. Is there still hope? Is July the month where there is most movement?
I hear orientation is August 3rd… does that mean class start August 3rd as well? or do we start class another day after the orientation?
I'm still on the waiting list by the way, I'm just curious. :(

So when is last day to find out about waitlist? And has anyone heard anything new?

1. Letters of recommendation from:
    • A physician (M.D. or D.O.)
    • The pre-professional committee, or if such a committee does not exist, then three letters of recommendation are needed (two from science professors and one non-science professor)

Examples of a non-science letter include but are not limited to English, Psychology, Mathematics, and Humanities.It is recommended that letters are signed or submitted on official school letterhead.

does having premed committee letter replace having no non-science LOR?

Will be dropping my seat today! I hope someone on SDN gets it!

Reactions: 3 users
Today, friday then Monday's left to hear something… how does everyone feel at this point??

Seriously let this be a lesson to people: If you are not going to any school, please let them know as soon as reasonably possible. There's no reason people should be coming off of a wait list on the day of orientation if everyone that was accepted gave a reasonable notice that they were or were not attending.

I spoke to admissions today, and they said that they did not expect a ton of wait list movement this year, but that if any happened it would probably be early next week. Regardless of what happens, I want to thank you guys and the rest of the waitlist-limbo crew for being such a great support system! If you don't succeed this time, I hope you all re-apply, kick butt, and keep following your dreams! Best of luck, everybody. May the odds be ever in your favor ;)

Reactions: 1 users
And I agree - I envy and semi-resent the people who care so little that they just don't show up to orientation. Really, guys? Impolite. (That being said I hope tons don't show up because I want their spot!)

I spoke to admissions today, and they said that they did not expect a ton of wait list movement this year, but that if any happened it would probably be early next week. Regardless of what happens, I want to thank you guys and the rest of the waitlist-limbo crew for being such a great support system! If you don't succeed this time, I hope you all re-apply, kick butt, and keep following your dreams! Best of luck, everybody. May the odds be ever in your favor ;)
If you dont mind me asking, who did you speak to in admissions? And by early next week just on monday, Aug 3rd or could be expect movement leading further into the week?

I don't recall his name (Ryan? Bryan?) and I didn't press for exact dates, he just said early next week! Sorry!

If you dont mind me asking, who did you speak to in admissions? And by early next week just on monday, Aug 3rd or could be expect movement leading further into the week?
I believe it's up until August 3rd, which is the first day of orientation. I think based on who doesn't show up, they will fill those spots with those who are wait listed.

And I agree - I envy and semi-resent the people who care so little that they just don't show up to orientation. Really, guys? Impolite. (That being said I hope tons don't show up because I want their spot!)
I know. It's not professional. But I, like you, do hope that a lot of people don't show up so that others who are really interested in going (who are on the waiting list) gets a chance. This wait has been too much. I can't wait to know for sure!!

How many other schools are you guys waiting to hear from? is Nova everyone's first choice?

Nova is my first choice indeed, how many of you guys are local to south florida?

My first choice as well! I'm from Orlando originally, but relocated to South Florida after graduation because I wanted to get a head start on moving where I want to eventually live and work. I love South Florida so far, though! Very different from what I'm used to, but a great place nonetheless.