Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who recently interviewed here care to share any insight/experience on their interview process?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the acceptances!

Last edited:
Same! I had an interview scheduled for March 8, but called Hope during the break to inquire about any last minute openings for Jan 11 and was able to reschedule earlier. Whoo hoo! I love this school and Hope's been fantastic! If any of you are interviewing in March and can make it to the Jan 11 interview, you should call to see if there are any openings left. Good luck to everyone!

What time is your interview? Mine is at 730.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey future classmates! Current 1st year at PNWU here. I only have a semester under my belt but feel free to ask any questions about the school, my experience here, or whatever is on your mind!

Hey future classmates! Current 1st year at PNWU here. I only have a semester under my belt but feel free to ask any questions about the school, my experience here, or whatever is on your mind!

Can you give us any insight into the MMI format. What kind of stations did you see? I have gone over about all I could find on the net, but it is all very shadowed. Thanks!

I would want the 11th too but if they notify me next week I may not be able to get to it because I have to fly in from CA. January would be the best month ever if I got an 11th interview though. I would have three interviews and a birthday this month

I emailed Hope, and called her later in the afternoon about being added to the Jan 11th date. She got me a spot! She has been a BIG help during this process. Makes you feel good about a school with such good staff!

Last year, for me, the MMI was really easy going. There were 5 stations and I spent 5 minutes at each station. The questions differed from role play and what would you do in this situation type of questions. Nothing related to the new health care laws in case people were stressing about that. Then there was one person who had my file and asked me about the weaknesses in my application. Overall much less stressful then I had anticipated. The staff and faculty make sure you are super comfortable. After all, they want to get to know the real you so they know you fit the school. PNWU is all about the community environment. There is zero competition among the classes and they look for ppl who will keep that going.

Hello rkmoto121,

We should be getting an email invite. If you look on the Checklist it shows that they have a deadline to contact us of 1/8. I think we will get an email next week.

I really hope I can get in on the interviews on the 11th!! I have interviews stacking up in March, and would like to just get into PNWU and withdrawal from the others. Would save a ton of money!!
quick question about the deadline date that you said your checklist has. Where exactly is that deadline located on your checklist?

Thanks ;)

There's really no way to prepare for the MMIs... You may Google some classic MMI questions on the Internet and practice answering them but I like MMI because it's not your classic rehearsed questions. This is where the interviewers get to find our who you really are. My advise from interview day--be yourself. If you get stuck interviewers will prompt you, they made its feel very comfortable

quick question about the deadline date that you said your checklist has. Where exactly is that deadline located on your checklist?

Thanks ;)
If you look at the far right it shows the due date for contact

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine were about 8 mins. 5 mins to talk in the room. 1 min or so to read the prompt. 1 min or so between stations.

Mine were about 8 mins. 5 mins to talk in the room. 1 min or so to read the prompt. 1 min or so between stations.

I know they changed the interview day format from last year so this is probably the more reliable info to go off of. For example last year they had us write 2 essays and I don't think you guys have to do that this year. You'll have plenty of time to read the prompt and formulate a response in your head. I remember the first station I walked into I was so nervous I started to sweat so the interviewer put off my response for a couple of minutes to give me a chance to relax and just chatted with me.

I'm praying that the weather gets better by next weekend and that no flights get cancelled or delayed! I live in the Midwest and it's TERRIBLE here right now. Otherwise, I'm going to have to make the two day drive to Yakima! Fingers crossed.

hey guys !!! got ii on Jan11. Flying directly to Yakima is reccomended or flying to Seatlle and renting a car. Not sure with the weather in january with snow and throught the mountains. Suggestions welcome. I work full time and if i fly to seattle and drive thereafter I save a vacation day. Thanks. Coming from North Dakota

Just saw this and I'm in South Dakota. I'm interviewing on 1/11 as well and I'm PRAYING that the weather gets better this week so that flights can resume as scheduled!

Could someone please give a rough schedule of the interview day? Thanks!

Last edited:
Could someone please give a rough schedule of the interview day? Is lunch provided? Is there anything you wish you'd known before hand? Thanks!

No there was no lunch, and we didn't have a student reviewing our application. My interview day started at 10:30. After signing in, there was the presentation about the school and the program for an hour. Then we went to the OMM lab and students demonstrated the treatment. Then they gave a tour. At the end of the tour, each group had about 45 minutes to talk to a student and ask questions. Finally, it was the interview. 5 stations, 2 mins to read and 5 mins to talk. The staff and interviewers did everything to make sure we are not nervous. 2 mins reading seemed long, and 5 mins talk kind of short. Actually, I liked the format because even if you screw up the first 2 ones, you still have 3 more to go. Be enthousiastic and if you don't have anything else to say , don't ramble on. Stop and the interviewer would ask you other questions. Also, when answering ethical questions, not only you're supposed to keep the patient's best interest in mind, try to be mindful of other factors especially other cultures. We were done around 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

Good luck:)

Mine hast 12/26 in the due date. so should they have already notified me of a decision by now
They contacted me for an interview like a month after the due date on my app.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah ok... I understand. Well, nothing to do but wait.. +pity+

Never hurts to just give a quick call and check in with them. Their staff is really helpful and understands the stress of this process. Plus they are really nice =-)

Reactions: 1 user
Never hurts to just give a quick call and check in with them. Their staff is really helpful and understands the stress of this process. Plus they are really nice =-)
I agree with you. Actually, I called Hope today but never got a response.... guess I will try again tomorrow. ;)

No there was no lunch, and we didn't have a student reviewing our application. My interview day started at 10:30. After signing in, there was the presentation about the school and the program for an hour. Then we went to the OMM lab and students demonstrated the treatment. Then they gave a tour. At the end of the tour, each group had about 45 minutes to talk to a student and ask questions. Finally, it was the interview. 5 stations, 2 mins to read and 5 mins to talk. The staff and interviewers did everything to make sure we are not nervous. 2 mins reading seemed long, and 5 mins talk kind of short. Actually, I liked the format because even if you screw up the first 2 ones, you still have 3 more to go. Be enthousiastic and if you don't have anything else to say , don't ramble on. Stop and the interviewer would ask you other questions. Also, when answering ethical questions, not only you're supposed to keep the patient's best interest in mind, try to be mindful of other factors especially other cultures. We were done around 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

Good luck:)

My interview is at 7:30 no snacks in tummy = hangry :( I guess I should eat before and bring a snack.

I just got a last minute opportunity to switch my interview from March to This Saturday, Jan 11th. How do you guys get to the school? Currently a round trip plane flight from Seattle to Yakima costs a little over $300... I don't know if it would be cheaper to rent a car and drive from Seattle to the school. But Hope said the pass you have to go over could have a lot of snow right now...

So I just booked all my flights and hotel. I booked for the Best Western in Yakima. How do you guys get to campus? Do you take a cab?

Last edited:
My interview is in the morning. I'm taking my car with me so let me know if you need a ride.

rkmoto which time is your interview?
It's at 10:30. I'm staying at the Clarion now. They have a shuttle from the airport. The PNWU site says they have a shuttle to campus but on the phone the lady said they just have a shuttle to the airport but maybe it could drop me off at campus... lol it sounds pretty unreliable.

My interview is in the morning. I'm taking my car with me so let me know if you need a ride.

This would be incredible. Could you PM me your phone number? I can text or call you tomorrow after I find out about the hotel's shuttle. I could totally give you a few bucks for gas too. Would still be much cheaper than a cab.

That was a really nice campus, and the staff was so nice!!!

I am supper upset that I really dropped the ball on one of my MMI stations! My nerves were so good on my first 2 stations, then one interviewer got to me a bit, and my nerves kicked in big time!!! I hope that that does not kill me =-(

That was a really nice campus, and the staff was so nice!!!

I am supper upset that I really dropped the ball on one of my MMI stations! My nerves were so good on my first 2 stations, then one interviewer got to me a bit, and my nerves kicked in big time!!! I hope that that does not kill me =-(

Same here, one interviewer seemed really unreceptive even before I said anything. It's difficult to keep your message cohesive when it seems like your audience isn't listening to you. Maybe it was a test of sorts. The only thing we can do is wait. Good luck!

Same here, one interviewer seemed really unreceptive even before I said anything. It's difficult to keep your message cohesive when it seems like your audience isn't listening to you. Maybe it was a test of sorts. The only thing we can do is wait. Good luck!
Ya my interviewer was the same. I introduced my self, he said answer the question, and turned away before my first word.

Ye, I only had one outlier with my interviewers where he seemed a bit unresponsive, which is fine but it was so weird that another guy came into the room. I was confused and so talked to both of them, switching my focus but on my second glance, the person sitting on the bed was looking down at and fiddling on his iphone, that was a bit weird, and rude honestly.

I had a weird/disinterested interviewer as well. Honestly, I think they do it to everyone and it's just a test to see how they respond. I wouldn't worry about it.

I had a great experience throughout the entire interview process. Were you guys in rooms 1-5 or a-e?

I had a great experience throughout the entire interview process. Were you guys in rooms 1-5 or a-e?
I was in A-E and I had all female interviewers who I thought were pretty nice. It was sort of weird introducing myself to each interviewer though cause they all got up to shake my hand and say hi while I was closing the door. I had to like quickly close the door so it didn't look like I was turning away from them and in one case the interviewer never said her name when we shook hands so I was just like "nice to meet you!"

Acceptance call today! :) Hope to meet you all there!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my call too!!!! Really excited, I really liked the school!!! See you in the fall!!!

Just got my call! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Anyone else get wait listed? Any ideas when they give you an answer, Im going on the army's scholarship program and need to know ASAP.

Anyone else get wait listed? Any ideas when they give you an answer, Im going on the army's scholarship program and need to know ASAP.

I got wait listed too. I believe the school will review the wait list in may.