Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just denied post-supplemental on 2/10.
My application was complete early November and I was put to a committee decision early December. I am very disappointed, as I interviewed at this school two years ago and was put on the wait list. I didn't send in a LOI two years ago which I now regret. I was hoping to at least get an interview this year, as my application has improved and I am now in-state, whereas I was out of the region completely two years ago. Does any one think I should contact them? I'm not a fan of bothering schools that deny me but I am very caught off guard by the denial.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My application was complete early November and I was put to a committee decision early December. I am very disappointed, as I interviewed at this school two years ago and was put on the wait list. I didn't send in a LOI two years ago which I now regret. I was hoping to at least get an interview this year, as my application has improved and I am now in-state, whereas I was out of the region completely two years ago. Does any one think I should contact them? I'm not a fan of bothering schools that deny me but I am very caught off guard by the denial.
You could try, but more than likely they will say that you applied too late. The new cycle is coming up soon, apply the first day!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear that, and I have a feeling what did you in was the date you submitted your application. Many people submitted in June/July and medical schools are rolling admissions. Is there a specific reason why you submitted your application so late?

Anyways, props to you for reapplying this year. I hope it works out with other schools!

You never hear any current students raving about this school on this board. Why? Because there aren't anything to rave about.
Most instructors at this school will not bother to get to know you, nor your name.
Good thing you did not go to LECOM with the PBL format....my goodness, in that case there would be nobody to blame.

Trust me LECOM with the PBL format actually would be preferable once you start listening to some of the lectures at this school. I often think I could comprehend more and better just by reading the text books.

Once an instructor was like 20 minutes late and someone cracked a joke, "Just put up the powerpoint slides. They just read right off it anyways." and everyone laughed. That's how bad it is.

Last edited:
You never hear any current students raving about this school on this board. Why? Because there aren't anything to rave about.
Most instructors at this school will not bother to get to know you, nor your name.

Trust me LECOM with the PBL format actually would be preferable once you start listening to some of the lectures at this school. I often think I could comprehend more and better just by reading the text books.

Once an instructor was like 20 minutes late and someone cracked a joke, "Just put up the powerpoint slides. They just read right off it anyways." and everyone laughed. That's how bad it is.
I am sorry about your experiences. I did speak with students outside of SDN who are current students at PNWU and they all said that professors are really supportive, and overall loved the school. I guess it is pretty subjective because everyone has different learning strategies. I prefer to study on my own actually, and it worked great in the undergrad for me, so hopefully my experience will be different from yours.

Reactions: 1 users
I am sorry about your experiences. I did speak with students outside of SDN who are current students at PNWU and they all said that professors are really supportive, and overall loved the school. I guess it is pretty subjective because everyone has different learning strategies. I prefer to study on my own actually, and it worked great in the undergrad for me, so hopefully my experience will be different from yours.

Unfortunately, you will be treated like children and most lectures will have a 5 point quiz at the end of the hour because this school realized that most students started not coming to class, so you actually will be stuck listening to profs that equate yelling to you will understand better. And you will be stuck doing this from 8am to 5pm.

It's like a carrot or stick thing. If the profs were any good, students would naturally come to class. Because they're not, students would rather not come to class, so now this year they're using the 5 point quiz stick to get the kids in the building.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you will be treated like children and most lectures will have a 5 point quiz at the end of the hour because this school realized that most students started not coming to class, so you actually will be stuck listening to profs that equate yelling to you will understand better. And you will be stuck doing this from 8am to 5pm.
Can any current students verify the claims that HeadtoDOC has posted on here? I have a very hard time believing all of this and have doubts that this user even attends PNWU.

Last edited:
Can any current students verify all that HeadtoDOC has posted on here? I have a very hard time believing all of this and have doubts that this user even attends PNWU.

I too would like @HeadtoDOC to confirm that he is indeed a student at PNWU..

I took would like @HeadtoDOC to confirm that he is indeed a student at PNWU..

You will see from my previous year's posts, like you all, I was accepted and was very happy and enthusiastic like you all to start med school. But I am warning you all so some of you will escape the terror that awaits you at this school.

You will see from my previous year's posts, like you all, I was accepted and was very happy and enthusiastic like you all to start med school. But I am warning you all so some of you will escape the terror that awaits you at this school.

I just did a search on his past post's.. he really is a student there...

I just did a search on his past post's.. It seems like he really is a student there...
It would be foolish to trust his claims unless other current students can back him up.

It would be foolish to trust his claims unless other current students can back him up.
Im with you.. but if you look at his old posts in thr 2014-2015 PNWU thread its pretty darn convincing..

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, it's sad that HeadtoDoc has had such an unfortunate experience, but his is just one opinion. Every medical school has students that are unhappy.

I'm sorry to hear that, and I have a feeling what did you in was the date you submitted your application. Many people submitted in June/July and medical schools are rolling admissions. Is there a specific reason why you submitted your application so late?

Anyways, props to you for reapplying this year. I hope it works out with other schools!

No legitimate reason other than my foolishness :(

Longtime lurker and current PNWU student (undergoing the new curriculum with HeadtoDOC and Hrdrck). I needed to jump in here because I can tell a number of you are unnerved by some reports that medical can *gasp* be frustrating. I made a throwaway account to comment, but you'll just have to take my word.

I can personally attest that most, nay, the vast majority, of the professors at PNWU care very much about their students. Just think about it, why would well respected, intelligent professors leave successful careers at other institutions in order to teach at an up-start osteopathic medical school in middle of the Washington desert? (For the record, I love eastern Washington because I'm from here. This isn't the most commonly held sentiment lol.) The answer is that most of them genuinely believe in what has been started here and are committed to make it succeed. Other users are being petty in this regard, and frankly disrespectful to the professors you'll find answering questions into the wee hours of the morning, sometimes in person and on-campus.

Professors yelling at you from 8-5am is an exaggeration. Stop.

I think some people were expecting medical school education to be the paradigm of clarity and ease of understanding. Newsflash to incoming students: IT'S NOT. Don't say you weren't warned. But that isn't because the school has terrible instructors or a terrible curriculum. Rather, it is because medicine is fundamentally full of variation! It's been said over and over that patients don't read the textbook! It may come as a surprise, but consensus is a rarity the further you go into detail for any subject. This is why every major branch of science and medicine has a journal called "Current Opinions in [insert "-ology" here]." You want things to be clear cut? Do everyone including yourself a favor and don't do medicine. People who can't handle the frustrations of pre-clinical years are in for a train wreck once they hit the wards as a resident.

Keep in mind that posters on SDN tend to be the miffed sort. Those that are generally accepting of how things are going and have little to complain about won't typically take time out of their day to come to SDN and write platitudes to their school. Especially during those weeks where we're studying or in class for 80-90+ hours and feel like the life has been sucked out of us by the end of the block. Believe me, being a medical student isn't sexy. It will make you question your sanity. But when you run out of steam and want to swear when the alarm goes off in the morning, you instead get up for your future patients. You remind yourself you wanted this, and you remind yourself despite BS in medicine, it will be worth it because of the lives you touch. If you're doing it for yourself, you'll become disenchanted very quickly.

Now, am I a little annoyed by 5 point quizzes at the end of an anatomy lecture when I'd prefer to simply study the material on my own and show up for the exam? You bet I am. But these sorts of grievances are par for the course in any medical school. Honestly, saying the school is completely malignant because of this one gripe is really quite melodramatic. I remember the professor being 20 minutes late. Hey guess what? This professor had to drive across town from his practice to deliver the lecture on a day with snow and ice (this part of the story was left out)! Breaking: physician is late! Details at 11! Really, I'll echo Hrdrck: medical school is what you put into it. Take initiative and go to the next level. Your teachers are teaching you today's knowledge; you'll be treating your patients with tomorrow's knowledge. If you can't take the initiative to become a learner for your patients' sake, then you're doing everyone a disservice. Truly! Your professors won't be at the patient's bedside thirty years from now to tell you what to do. Good thing they gave you the tools to stay educated and know the current practice!

Reactions: 9 users
Longtime lurker and current PNWU student (undergoing the new curriculum with HeadtoDOC and Hrdrck). I needed to jump in here because I can tell a number of you are unnerved by some reports that medical can *gasp* be frustrating. I made a throwaway account to comment, but you'll just have to take my word.

I can personally attest that most, nay, the vast majority, of the professors at PNWU care very much about their students. Just think about it, why would well respected, intelligent professors leave successful careers at other institutions in order to teach at an up-start osteopathic medical school in middle of the Washington desert? (For the record, I love eastern Washington because I'm from here. This isn't the most commonly held sentiment lol.) The answer is that most of them genuinely believe in what has been started here and are committed to make it succeed. Other users are being petty in this regard, and frankly disrespectful to the professors you'll find answering questions into the wee hours of the morning, sometimes in person and on-campus.

Professors yelling at you from 8-5am is an exaggeration. Stop.

I think some people were expecting medical school education to be the paradigm of clarity and ease of understanding. Newsflash to incoming students: IT'S NOT. Don't say you weren't warned. But that isn't because the school has terrible instructors or a terrible curriculum. Rather, it is because medicine is fundamentally full of variation! It's been said over and over that patients don't read the textbook! It may come as a surprise, but consensus is a rarity the further you go into detail for any subject. This is why every major branch of science and medicine has a journal called "Current Opinions in [insert "-ology" here]." You want things to be clear cut? Do everyone including yourself a favor and don't do medicine. People who can't handle the frustrations of pre-clinical years are in for a train wreck once they hit the wards as a resident.

Keep in mind that posters on SDN tend to be the miffed sort. Those that are generally accepting of how things are going and have little to complain about won't typically take time out of their day to come to SDN and write platitudes to their school. Especially during those weeks where we're studying or in class for 80-90+ hours and feel like the life has been sucked out of us by the end of the block. Believe me, being a medical student isn't sexy. It will make you question your sanity. But when you run out of steam and want to swear when the alarm goes off in the morning, you instead get up for your future patients. You remind yourself you wanted this, and you remind yourself despite BS in medicine, it will be worth it because of the lives you touch. If you're doing it for yourself, you'll become disenchanted very quickly.

Now, am I a little annoyed by 5 point quizzes at the end of an anatomy lecture when I'd prefer to simply study the material on my own and show up for the exam? You bet I am. But these sorts of grievances are par for the course in any medical school. Honestly, saying the school is completely malignant because of this one gripe is really quite melodramatic. I remember the professor being 20 minutes late. Hey guess what? This professor had to drive across town from his practice to deliver the lecture on a day with snow and ice (this part of the story was left out)! Breaking: physician is late! Details at 11! Really, I'll echo Hrdrck: medical school is what you put into it. Take initiative and go to the next level. Your teachers are teaching you today's knowledge; you'll be treating your patients with tomorrow's knowledge. If you can't take the initiative to become a learner for your patients' sake, then you're doing everyone a disservice. Truly! Your professors won't be at the patient's bedside thirty years from now to tell you what to do. Good thing they gave you the tools to stay educated and know the current practice!
Thank you for taking the time to write this. Glad to see I'll have some intelligent upperclassmen to pester for advise and answers to questions next year!

Thank your for wording this so perfectly PNWU student! I'm in the first year class, and can confirm that yes, med school is hard. It is frustrating. It is not the black and white version of reality we became dependent on in undergrad. Also no school is perfect, and people need to vent sometimes which I can only assume is where the negative posts are coming from. The curriculum does start with an 8-5 schedule, but once systems hits that changes a lot. There are many days now that you don't even have to put pants on until noon.

Is every professor my favorite? Absolutely not. That being said, they all do put in a substantial amount of effort into giving us the material in as clear a way as possible in the grey world of medicine where patients don't read the book, and every cadaver looks different.

I sincerely hope one persons sour grapes does not deter you because many of us love this school (despite the fact that medical school is hard) because the faculty and student body are constantly doing their best to lift you up. We even have one professor who gives incredibly well thought out pep-talks when he sees the class as a whole struggling, and gave us a printed version of some of his pep-talks today in case we need a little boost on our own time.

If any of you have questions or concerns about this, please feel free to message me.

Finishing second year here and I have to say that medical school is what you put into it, but I can understand the frustrations as well. The shift of curriculum (for better or worse) probably threw off some of the fluidity that most professors here were use to. Everything got changed around. The path teachers switched around etc etc. I also see many students struggle with the basic concepts, but unlike our class who spent an ENTIRE year learning these, the first years get the foundation with each unit. This may make it appear to some that the professors are teaching over their heads, but you have to understand the basics before understanding the drugs, diseases and what not. This school has its faults for sure, but it definitely has professors that care about you and your education. Some of the highest COMLEX and USMLE scorers came from our school. We even had students hit perfect scores in pharmacology on the COMLEX. I bet current student can figure out why. Chicago anyone :)))??? The whole NP as a preceptor happened in the past, and this school has definately made leaps and strides to find good rotations. I am good friends with some the coordinators and deans and they put SOOO much effort to find good spots. Some are better than others, but nonetheless you will get a good education. You may have to put your head down and go with the blows for a while, but it is all worth it in the end.

TL;DR This school has changed, for better or worse. Most professors are fine. Put in the time, put your head down, and you will be a doc in no time

Reactions: 3 users
The desire to be a DO is not worth selling your soul over at this school. This is a tiny school with many people that have a chip on their shoulder. This school literally thinks it owns you for the duration of 4 years. They will jerk you around. You will be months in and wonder holly **** what have I gotten myself into. This school's got security like Fort Knox, with armed guards and cameras everywhere. Oh, another warning, be really careful what you say. Being a tiny school, rumors run rampant. And what you confide in one person you thought would naturally (common sense) understand was for their ears only, nah nah, you mind as well be speaking on the intercom. You will constantly be walking on eggshells at this school. Go to a larger school if you can where you are not under scrutiny all the time.

I'm sorry, just telling it like it is. Not sugar coating anything.
Healthcare is not what it used to be. Doctors are not treated like they used to. We're just on an assembly line to be molded to what, after 7 years of hard work, end up getting more abused by hospital administrators, etc. This all leads to what Dr. Pamela Wible from Oregon explains that 400 doctors commit suicide every year.

and lead to things like this which happened just today everyday:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...de-missing-junior-doctor-walked-hospital.html

Last edited:
The desire to be a DO is not worth selling your soul over.

Healthcare is not what it used to be. Doctors are not treated like they used to. We're just on an assembly line to be molded to what, after 7 years of hard work, end up getting more abused by hospital administrators, etc. [/MEDIA]

Why did you choose to pursue medicine in the first place?

First, I would like to say that I have no interest in advocating for PNWU specifically.

I think you have made your point, and while it certainly is helpful to read about diverse opinions, I think you are beating a dead horse (we got the point). This is just my observation, but I also feel like you are very bitter and resentful just based on the comments you are posting. Maybe you got into medicine way too young and you weren't ready, but it's not suppose to be easy. However, you were the one who made the decision to attend (choosing PNWU from multiple acceptances, nonetheless), no one forced you into it.

This is a vocation, and one that we give our heart and soul to. Becoming a physician is what many of us dream of and your comments degrade those genuine aspirations greatly. I wish you the best in all of your endeavors, please keep your head up. Don't let some chip on your shoulder drag you down.

The desire to be a DO is not worth selling your soul over. This is a tiny school with many people that have a chip on their shoulder. This school literally thinks it owns you for the duration of 4 years. They will jerk you around. You will be months in and wonder holly **** what have I gotten myself into. This school's got security like Fort Knox, with armed guards and cameras everywhere. Oh, another warning, be really careful what you say. Being a tiny school, rumors run rampant. And what you confide in one person you thought would naturally (common sense) understand was for their ears only, nah nah, you mind as well be speaking on the intercom. You will constantly be walking on eggshells at this school. Go to a larger school if you can where you are not under scrutiny all the time.

Healthcare is not what it used to be. Doctors are not treated like they used to. We're just on an assembly line to be molded to what, after 7 years of hard work, end up getting more abused by hospital administrators, etc. This all leads to what Dr. Pamela Wible from Oregon explains that 400 doctors commit suicide every year.

and lead to things like this which happened just today everyday:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...de-missing-junior-doctor-walked-hospital.html

If this is disillusionment with the medical profession, that is one thing. I can understand that because many people realize it isn't the pathway for them. Some of us think the BS is worth putting up with. However, for the sake of those considering this school I'll respond to a few claims:

1) Every medical school class will have people with chips on their shoulder. Every one. Some people feel like they have something to prove. If you don't like those people, you are free not to talk to them because you are an adult.

2) The school is under "armed guards and cameras everywhere". You make it sound like the school is keeping you here under gunpoint. The honest truth is that PNWU has been the target of some petty thievery in recent months/years (bikes, cellphones). The school has security measures that have allowed the recovery of any items that have been stolen and the apprehension of the suspects. Coming from a small town where everyone trusted everyone, I felt like it was overdone at first. But seeing that a few petty crimes have occurred and that our security team was able to use security footage to help apprehend suspects and recover stolen items made me realize they aren't overdoing it. They're just being cautious. Honestly though, it basically boils down to requiring a key card to gain access to the building at all times, having AN armed guard on campus, and a decent security camera system. That is hardly maximum security. There aren't drones patrolling the school and guards in body armor. Again, please don't be so melodramatic.

3) Rumors. When you have a number of people in close proximity for long periods of time, you will tend to see rumors and gossip. Such is life everywhere since back when cavemen were dissing each other's hunting practices to their friends. I've personally been guarded with my opinions and haven't said much I didn't want spread to the whole school. You know, common sense stuff. And keep in mind that "larger schools" will still have class sizes around 200 people. Hardly a crowd to get lost into.

HeadtoDOC, I feel like you are very unhappy with how things are going, which I find unfortunate. If you would like to speak to a fellow classmate, in confidence, PM me and we can meet up.

Reactions: 4 users
Got a rejection letter from here today. It was the first secondary I sent in, too. I've got to say, an actual signed letter is a classy way to reject someone. Much better than that lame email I got from MUCOM.

I applied late (complete in December), GPA 3.3, sGPA 3.6, MCAT 31 (9/11/11). I'm also nowhere near the region, but I love the northwest so I'm a little upset.

Last edited:
I just got an email for an interview on April 15 at PNWU. I applied late (sent my secondary early January) and so I am interviewing for a waitlist spot. I was wondering if anyone has advice about how to handle this situation. Are waitlist interviews different? Do I have any chance of getting in that late? How do waitlist rankings work? How can I best prepare for my interview? Where can I find interview questions at PNWU for this cycle (I know there is a website somewhere)? What can I do to maximize my chances? Any advice would be beneficial.

I don't know how many students interview for waitlist spots, but I don't want to think its impossible to get in. I was accepted at another school, but since WA is my home, PNWU is my top choice school and I'd love to go here.

Got a rejection letter from here today. It was the first secondary I sent in, too. I've got to say, an actual signed letter is a classy way to reject someone. Much better than that lame email I got from MUCOM.

I applied late (complete in December), GPA 3.3, sGPA 3.6, MCAT 31 (9/11/11). I'm also nowhere near the region, but I love the northwest so I'm a little upset.
I'm just curious...you have great stats for DO schools, did you ask why you were rejected? Kind of surprising considering how new MUCOM is (but I am aware that schools also look at applicants holistically)

I'm just curious...you have great stats for DO schools, did you ask why you were rejected? Kind of surprising considering how new MUCOM is (but I am aware that schools also look at applicants holistically)

Nah, didn't ask. I was accepted somewhere else but I'm still keeping my apps on file to see if I can provide any helpful information for people in this cycle and the next. Maybe they just didn't like my essays or something.

Nah, didn't ask. I was accepted somewhere else but I'm still keeping my apps on file to see if I can provide any helpful information for people in this cycle and the next. Maybe they just didn't like my essays or something.
I think its because you are not from the area. Nothing with your stats, clearly.

The only skill you need at this school is simply rote memorization.

What this school has learned is that problem solving and critical thinking which the MCAT largely tests you on has very low correlation with success at this school's curriculum. I know 2 students that have gotten in with MCAT score of 24. I would be too embarrassed and would not have the balls to even apply with anything less than 27, 30 to be completely honest.

How does simple rote memorization going to make us great doctors? In this day and age when 98% of the prescriptions that we will be dispensing will be 50 medications or less what good is it going to do us whether we know obscure medications that you will never use? What this school fails to understand is that great doctors are not just whether they know the information but much more importantly their wisdom, understanding beyond medical knowledge, being able to synthesize all different types of information, being culturally understanding. That is why this school has absolutely no small classes. Its either 140 in a class or 70 in a class and none of the profs except for 1 ever feel like they need to get to know you. Less work for them. Very impersonal. Very low quality. Sad but true I'm afraid. Definitely, not worth the $50,000/a year price tag.

Last edited:

What this school has learned is that problem solving and critical thinking which the MCAT largely tests you on has very low correlation with success at this school's curriculum. I know 2 students that have gotten in with MCAT score of 24. I would be too embarrassed and would not have the balls to even apply with anything less than 27, 30 to be completely honest.

How does simple rote memorization going to make us great doctors? In this day and age when 98% of the prescriptions that we will be dispensing will be 50 medications or less what good is it going to do us whether we know obscure medications that you will never use? What this school fails to understand is that great doctors are not just whether they know the information but much more importantly their wisdom, understanding beyond medical knowledge, being able to synthesize all different types of information, being culturally understanding. That is why this school has absolutely no small classes. Its either 140 in a class or 70 in a class and none of the profs except for 1 ever feel like they need to get to know you. Less work for them. Very impersonal. Very low quality. Sad but true I'm afraid. Definitely, not worth the $50,000/a year price tag.
You know you can transfer to a different DO school right? I actually met someone who did that the other day.

Man you sound bitter. It's unhealthy to be this unhappy.
First of all, I like how people are responding to your claims, saying the opposite, and you just go on rumbling about the same thing over and over again. Second of all, I am not sure what world you live in, but if you talk to other students ( from MD and DO schools ), you will find out that the first year is ALMOST everything about memorization. I swear it's like you thought the medical school would be a peace of cake and just a little bit harder than an undergrad, well it's not? duhh it is hard, there is TONS of information, everyone in your class is smart, and no one is going to spoon feed you the info. You have to figure out the best way to learn for yourself. To be a great doctor you NEED to know the information. The wisdom, understanding beyond medical knowledge is something that you get with experience and it's not up to a medical school to teach you that? You want to be more culturally understanding- go volunteer, make a cultural club, change your attitude, do SOMETHING instead of just blaming everyone around you.

I saw the match list, I know people who graduated from PNWU and they were very happy about it. They are making a great living and doing what they love.

Man you sound bitter. It's unhealthy to be this unhappy.
First of all, I like how people are responding to your claims, saying the opposite, and you just go on rumbling about the same thing over and over again. Second of all, I am not sure what world you live in, but if you talk to other students ( from MD and DO schools ), you will find out that the first year is ALMOST everything about memorization. I swear it's like you thought the medical school would be a peace of cake and just a little bit harder than an undergrad, well it's not? duhh it is hard, there is TONS of information, everyone in your class is smart, and no one is going to spoon feed you the info. You have to figure out the best way to learn for yourself. To be a great doctor you NEED to know the information. The wisdom, understanding beyond medical knowledge is something that you get with experience and it's not up to a medical school to teach you that? You want to be more culturally understanding- go volunteer, make a cultural club, change your attitude, do SOMETHING instead of just blaming everyone around you.

I saw the match list, I know people who graduated from PNWU and they were very happy about it. They are making a great living and doing what they love.

You don't seem to understand what I am saying. Rote memorization is only the basics of medicine. You expect more than just a regurgitation of the text book in med school. Unfortunately that is all you will get here, if that. Even worse, you will need to go back and clarity information that was made confusing. No inspiring lectures. Oh I forgot, you got to go to one of the top schools for that. You will not be wowed here. If you can weather and stomach through profs yelling at you, high pitched voice from 8-5 and get on the match list after 4 years of PTSD, the majority of students get internship and it is not all that impressive. You will hardly be making a great living when you're only making slightly above a nurse practitioner and paying back $400,000 in debt including interest for decades to come.
I don't know what I sound like, I only speak the truth about this school, and the experience has not been good.

Last edited:
You don't seem to understand what I am saying. Rote memorization is only the basics of medicine. You expect more than just a regurgitation of the text book in med school. Unfortunately that is all you will get here, if that. Even worse, you will need to go back and clarity information that was made confusing. No inspiring lectures. You will not be wowed here. If you can weather through profs yelling at you, high pitched voice from 8-5 and get on the match list after 4 years, the majority of students get internship and it is not all that impressive.
I don't know what I sound like, I only speak the truth about this school, and the experience has not been good.
Ok you have shared your experience and everyone on this thread knows that. It seems like you are using this thread to vent your gripes with the school when in reality this thread is supposed to be for people trying to attend this Fall. Can you please share with us exactly what you wish to accomplish by posting here nearly every day ripping on PNWU?

There are other threads on SDN where this sort of complaining would be more accepted.

You don't seem to understand what I am saying. Rote memorization is only the basics of medicine. You expect more than just a regurgitation of the text book in med school. Unfortunately that is all you will get here, if that. Even worse, you will need to go back and clarity information that was made confusing. No inspiring lectures. Oh I forgot, you got to go to one of the top schools for that. You will not be wowed here. If you can weather and stomach through profs yelling at you, high pitched voice from 8-5 and get on the match list after 4 years of PTSD, the majority of students get internship and it is not all that impressive. You will hardly be making a great living when you're only making slightly above a nurse practitioner and paying back $400,000 in debt including interest for decades to come.

PTSD? Seriously?
Why did you even go to medicine being so sensitive. Have you never been yelled at before? I have been smacked with the ruler/ yelled at/ thrown chalk at, etc by teachers, so nothing new here. Plus reading your posts, you tend to be a little over dramatic, so I am sure it's not even that bad as you make it seem. You will get yelled at by preceptors, other residents, attendings, even nurses, get used to it. You better have a thick skin, or you won't survive.
OP it's not too late to become a nurse practitioner. The last time I checked even family docs can make around 200,000$. But that's if you are willing to work hard enough instead of blaming people around you for not getting paid well. Or what prevents you from going into a more competitive specialty?
This whole journey is up to you and you only.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok you have shared your experience and everyone on this thread knows that. It seems like you are using this thread to vent your gripes with the school when in reality this thread is supposed to be for people trying to attend this Fall. Can you please share with us exactly what you wish to accomplish by posting here nearly every day ripping on PNWU?

There are other threads on SDN where this sort of complaining would be more accepted.

Information. That's right I am trying to provide real inside information for people trying to attend this Fall. I did not get this kind of real inside information when I got in to my dismay. If someone had provided this type of real inside information, I may have avoided the grief that comes with this school.

This just seems to be going around in circles. This person obviously has had a rough experience (probably rougher than most) and they are allowed to voice their opinion. I think the point has been made. You did your due diligence to warn people, and if people decide to not go then that is their choice, but if they attend then that is their choice as well haha. Overall, everyone's experience of med school is unique. That is why the school provides free psychologist appointments and counseling to work with students in a private 1v1 situation for any reason.... good or bad. The school cares about their students, but face it, no matter where you go, you will have to learn minutia. NOT to be a good doctor, but for the evil board exams. Do you remember the exact translocations for AML and its subtypes? Its a pain, but you got to deal with it.

Also, no matter where you go (assuming someone doesn't go to an in-state school) you will be paying 40-50k to read ppt slides. You pay for an institution to give you a degree. I think we have strong professors here for MANY subjects. There are some departments that need work on, but I have friends at other schools and they are jealous of what I have told them about PNWU. I love working in the community, at the free clinics, speaking with the under-served community. I think that this is the best school I could have attended, and I had the opportunity to bridge into an eastern MD school program after a year long masters program. If I could go back in time, I would not change my decision. I am helping the community that I wanted to help, and I am learning what I need to show doctors that I know what I am talking about.

Keep in mind everyone that the school has been cracking down on students to be BETTER. You can fail one class a year, but sometimes 2 if there are some RL circumstances. People have been kicked out already from 1st years class, so hopefully this person is not, but a few of those people,I have heard from others are pretty bitter about it. Keep in mind though that PNWU also extends the opportunity for those people to come back the following year. If you put in the work, you will not fail.

Overall, make a decision that is best for you. In my own experience I have loved the school and its professors. They try their best and of course it is not perfect. It is better than many other schools, but again personal opinions pop up everywhere. You cannot please them all. For me though, I love it here and I cannot wait to start rotations. (just got to get past those pesky boards grrrr...)

Reactions: 5 users
"you will be paying 40-50k to read ppt slides. You pay for an institution to give you a degree." You see this is the part I object. This is the part where you will feel like you have to sell your soul at this school to get a degree. How can anyone in good conscience believe this is good education. You can't. You have to call it what it is, nothing more than a diploma mill.

Oh yes, remember the stick that this school likes to use, they will kick out a few students, some who are not even at the bottom of the class, just to set an example and remind everyone to memorize well so you can row and serve us well. Wouldn't it be better to use carrots and have some decent lectures so students yearn to learn.

Last edited:
"you will be paying 40-50k to read ppt slides. You pay for an institution to give you a degree." You see this is the part I object. This is the part where you will feel like you have to sell your soul at this school to get a degree. How can anyone in good conscience believe this is good education. You can't. You have to call it what it is, nothing more than a diploma mill.

Oh yes, remember the stick that this school likes to use, they will kick out a few students, some who are not even at the bottom of the class, just to set an example and remind everyone to memorize well so you can pass those boards. Wouldn't it be better to use carrots and have some decent lectures so students yearn to learn.

I agree with everything you are saying. It all comes down to a medical reformation in this country. High boards = better chances at better specialty. NO matter your grades in med school, you flunk the boards and you are screwed.

Paying tuition to read ppts, is a little of an exaggeration because they teach us clinical skills, omt, they have anatomy labs etc etc.

Friends at several schools do the same thing = Lectures are optional (some are not), you read professors notes, take tests, rinse and repeat. I guess I am not seeing what you want in a medical school and if one where you dont need to read ppts and books exists. Focus on the high yield? Well, good luck as every school picks out what they want and professors have favorite sections. Of course these schools are degree mills they are trying to fix the shortage of physicians in rural and under-served. IDK I guess I kind of expected med school to be how this school is doing things so it doesnt bother me as much. Best of luck in finishing and at least after year 2 you can leave the campus and go on rotations.

Most of what HeadtoDOC has been posting doesn't even warrant a reply. I trust the students in this thread have done their due diligence in searching out their future schools. I hope each one of the students accepted to this fall's class is sure this school will give them the best opportunity to achieve their career goals and can see through the bitter (and frankly illogical) complaints that are being disseminated here.

If any of you have concerns or questions about the school, please PM me. I would love to share my experiences or thoughts on issues, but feel like it would be more appropriate in a private message.

Reactions: 8 users
Man, I wish I would have hopped on here sooner to see what's been going on. Quite frankly, nothing headtoDoc is saying is unique to PNWU. Pretty much every school has tons of power points and quizzes and big classes and the list goes on. I'm also a current student and have been posting on and off for a while and am always willing to chat/answer questions/ help out in any way I can.
I have actually had a good experience here. It's tough and its new, but everyone here seems really focused on getting this school to the next level and really establishing a good reputation. It's unfortunate that some people are so hell-bent on trying to make us feel crappy about our decision, but I've got no regrets and I'm positive most of my colleagues feel the same way. If you have any questions go ahead and message me or even respond here just in case other people have the same questions and I'll let you know what I think in as much of an unbiased way I can. I hope to see some of you here soon. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
I just got an email for an interview on April 15 at PNWU. I applied late (sent my secondary early January) and so I am interviewing for a waitlist spot. I was wondering if anyone has advice about how to handle this situation. Are waitlist interviews different? Do I have any chance of getting in that late? How do waitlist rankings work? How can I best prepare for my interview? Where can I find interview questions at PNWU for this cycle (I know there is a website somewhere)? What can I do to maximize my chances? Any advice would be beneficial.

I don't know how many students interview for waitlist spots, but I don't want to think its impossible to get in. I was accepted at another school, but since WA is my home, PNWU is my top choice school and I'd love to go here.

Congrats on your II, @EerieIsland! :giggle:

I submitted my secondary late this month so I'm very late in the cycle. I'm hoping that there are more spots left! If anyone has insight on later applications, I would also appreciate it!

I wish I could be more help with your questions, but I could definitely answer one! For interview questions, I would recommend SDN's interview feedback site. There are postings there with recent and past questions.

PNWU-COM: http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/pnwu/survey/27?reload=1&r=1455952625331.

I created an account after looking through this thread for quite some time just because of how inaccurate HeadToDoc is. Im currently a second year at PNWU and while yes it has some issues (some major ones too) im still happy I came to this school. Most of what Headtodoc is saying is quite frankly false or quite ridiculous. He sounds like one of the first years that was let go shortly after second semester began

Medical school is as much what you make of it as anything else. Its extremely hard, but the professors here most of the time try to do whatever they can to make you succeed if you are willing to put that effort forth. Looking back I often wonder if I made the right choice going to medical school. What I dont doubt is that I have recieved a pretty good education here at PNWU. Could it be better. Sure. Is it the best education in the country. No. But I still feel like they have done a pretty good job of preparing me for whats next.

Good luck to any of you applying or joining the PNWU family.

I created an account after looking through this thread for quite some time just because of how inaccurate HeadToDoc is. Im currently a second year at PNWU and while yes it has some issues (some major ones too) im still happy I came to this school. Most of what Headtodoc is saying is quite frankly false or quite ridiculous. He sounds like one of the first years that was let go shortly after second semester began

Medical school is as much what you make of it as anything else. Its extremely hard, but the professors here most of the time try to do whatever they can to make you succeed if you are willing to put that effort forth. Looking back I often wonder if I made the right choice going to medical school. What I dont doubt is that I have recieved a pretty good education here at PNWU. Could it be better. Sure. Is it the best education in the country. No. But I still feel like they have done a pretty good job of preparing me for whats next.

Good luck to any of you applying or joining the PNWU family.

I don't think this school is perfect either, but I am curious, as a second year, what do you feel like some of the school's shortcomings are? I've only got first-year perspective so that somewhat limits my experiences with certain elements of medical education.

Hey there! I also just was granted a wait list interview April 15th, and I'd (also) love to know if anyone has any clue on how they rank their wait list. I did do a tour in January, and the admissions person told me approximately 1/3 of the wait listed people get in for that fall. Anyone hear anything, or (even better) KNOW anything about this? Thank you!

Hey there! I also just was granted a wait list interview April 15th, and I'd (also) love to know if anyone has any clue on how they rank their wait list. I did do a tour in January, and the admissions person told me approximately 1/3 of the wait listed people get in for that fall. Anyone hear anything, or (even better) KNOW anything about this? Thank you!
I can't really answer your question, but I'll see you there!

I'm having a hard time choosing between PNWU and DCOM with all the negative opinions about PNWU's program. If anyone has an opinion- I would really appreciate some more info on my thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dcom-vs-pnwu.1184996/
There is only one person in this thread that is actively throwing out a negative opinion. All schools have their pros and cons, I would choose between the two based on where you want to live/practice in the future.

I don't think this school is perfect either, but I am curious, as a second year, what do you feel like some of the school's shortcomings are? I've only got first-year perspective so that somewhat limits my experiences with certain elements of medical education.

There are some faculty that really should have been removed a long time ago. They are either not qualified to be here, or they just dont do a good job. The school has some amazing professors here, but some of them really are not good. The school also doesnt always appreciate our opinions as students, and then they wonder why no one does evaluations because most of us dont expect them to really care. They are trying really hard to grow the school fast which is sacrificing some things on campus such as study space because of all the other professions on campus. Some classes also need to be reworked entirely (com doc, specially year two its horrible sometimes). The OPP department has 1 really good professor, then the rest are either mediocre or quite frankly not very good in my opinion. These are probably the biggest issue.

The school has a number of strengths, including some very good faculty, which i wont list. I would still recommend the school because i feel like ive gotten a pretty good education here. Ive heard the problems that largers schools run into, and I dont get that feeling here at PNWU. The school is small enough that the professors care and know most of us.