Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have one more day to put down my deposit for this school ahh. Can any 3rd or 4th year students talk about their clerkships? How is it going? What's the quality of these rotations and does the school still support you while you're doing your rotations? how many students are assigned to a rotation site and do you get to do assisted procedures or is it solely observations?

Additionally, how supportive is Touro in terms of getting you ready for the board examinations? I can't find any info at all in terms of pass rate/average score which is a little discerning for me. Do they give you prep materials/time off to study? I'm really leaning towards going to this school since I'm originally from the Bay as well, but I've heard some iffy things about rotations, but that was like years ago. So I was wondering if anyone from MS3 or MS4 can chime in and talk about their experiences.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone shed some light on the interview and give some tips for the interview? this is my number 1 choice of school so i really want to make sure i do well on the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone shed some light on the interview and give some tips for the interview? this is my number 1 choice of school so i really want to make sure i do well on the interview
Interview can be very intimidating at first, but the questions are generally tailored to your application. So knowing your app is essentially the most important thing you can do to prepare. Body language is also a very big part of it; Ms. Huckle was telling my group about an applicant with very impressive stats who was flat out rejected for looking like he didn't care to be there.

^agreed. know your app very, very well.

The interviewers will go through your secondary application thoroughly, and ask questions based on that. They may also have secondary/follow up questions to the questions they ask you. You should definitely know your secondary application backwards and forwards, and also you should know what it means to be an osteopathic physician, what the osteopathic philosophy states, what it means to you, and why you want to be an osteopathic physician.

Some general interviewing tips I can give are as follows: (these are things I have learned from a half a dozen interviews and from various advisors)

– Most if not all of your answers should be 30 to 40 seconds long. So be concise!
– If they ask you a specific question such as, "tell me about yourself?", your response should be a minute and a half to a minute and 40 seconds.
– You don't want to be thinking as you talk or ramble. So knowing your secondary application and knowing why you want to practice osteopathic medicine is crucial.
– Do not say words like "cool" and do not use slang or informal speech.
– Medical school and choosing a career in medicine is a very serious decision, your answers, demeanor and the way you carry yourself should reflect this seriousness.
– Be able to give out comes to everything in your secondary application; always and with what you learned from each experience.
– Make sure to make eye contact with everyone, while responding to a question. Spend a few seconds looking into the eyes of not only your interviewers, but also your fellow interviewees.
– Be enthusiastic, but don't fake it, your enthusiasm for attending medical school, an osteopathic medical school, and being a physician for the rest of your life should be evident.
– Be honest; if you don't know the answer to a question, tell them so. Do not make things up, your interviewers will be able to tell, and it will take away from the validity of everything else you say.
– Have four or five or more questions to ask your interviewers. Make sure that the questions the answers to the questions you ask cannot be found on the schools website.
– Always make sure you have the names and email addresses of everyone you meet on campus, especially your interviewers and your tour guides, so you can send them thank you letters no later then five days after your interview.
– Do not dress flashy, this is not the time to express yourself or make yourself stand out. The way you carry yourself and what you say during the interview should be enough to make yourself stand out.
– Ladies, do not wear noisy jewelry. It is distracting and sometimes it's annoying to some people.
– Do not be negative, do not compare yourself with other students, do you not come off as competitive.
– Do not say anything negative! Do not blame others!
– Do not let yourself get flustered, some interviewers will try to startle you or stress you just to see how you will react (I did not experience this at Touro, but I did experience this at a couple other schools).
– This is not a time for jokes, save your favorite joke for your friends. Humor can be good, but it can also be seen as not serious or even worse not funny.
Pay attention to your interviewers body language, it will let you know if your answer is going too long.
– Relax! Your grades and extracurriculars got you the interview, now is not the time to stress about that C you had in chemistry sophomore year, though you should be able to explain why you got a C, also without being negative or blaming others.
– Be yourself, interviewers will be able to know when you are "faking it".
– Always thank your interviewers, tour guides, and anyone else that takes the time out of their busy schedule to speak to you on your interview today.
– Do not send boilerplate thank you emails. Try to personalize them and make them sincere.

I know this is a lot to read and to think about, but the stress of an interview may make you forget things, say things you may not usually say, or cloud your judgement and stop you from being cognizant of what you say or do or forget to do.

Good luck to you and everyone else who is interviewing this year or who have yet to be accepted.

Keep your hopes up and stay positive! From someone who applied last year and completely blew their interviews, due to naivety, there is always next year. If the worst happens and you don't get in, keep trying and do everything you can to strengthen your application and learn from your mistakes; you will end up where you are supposed to be.

Reactions: 7 users
I never received a secondary application invite here (submitted AACOMAS app in late August)...do they choose who can submit secondaries here or is this something I should contact them about?
I have not received a secondary application either yet. My application was released in early October. Did you ever contact them about it?

any recent ii lately??

I have not received a secondary application either yet. My application was released in early October. Did you ever contact them about it?

Yeah, they resent it and I got it this time. The same error probably happened to you.

Anyone know when they mostly start taking people off the wait list ?

Anyone know when they mostly start taking people off the wait list ?
They said during my interview that they won't look at waitlist until after they're done interviewing around May.

Is there any chance that it would be a good idea to send an "in the area" email? I live on the other side of the country and will be visiting my family in Cali from mid/late Dec through early Jan. I was complete in late Oct and my stats are much higher than their average. Would an in the area email seem arrogant and presumptive? I do not want to blow my chances with this school but traveling across the country is $$$ and I would like to express my continued interest in the school

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any chance that it would be a good idea to send an "in the area" email? I live on the other side of the country and will be visiting my family in Cali from mid/late Dec through early Jan. I was complete in late Oct and my stats are much higher than their average. Would an in the area email seem arrogant and presumptive? I do not want to blow my chances with this school but traveling across the country is $$$ and I would like to express my continued interest in the school

Yes send the email. It shows initiative, at the very least, and you may save yourself some money on the airfare. Sometimes they have cancellations, so they may have a spot open for you.

i have one more day to put down my deposit for this school ahh. Can any 3rd or 4th year students talk about their clerkships? How is it going? What's the quality of these rotations and does the school still support you while you're doing your rotations? how many students are assigned to a rotation site and do you get to do assisted procedures or is it solely observations?

Additionally, how supportive is Touro in terms of getting you ready for the board examinations? I can't find any info at all in terms of pass rate/average score which is a little discerning for me. Do they give you prep materials/time off to study? I'm really leaning towards going to this school since I'm originally from the Bay as well, but I've heard some iffy things about rotations, but that was like years ago. So I was wondering if anyone from MS3 or MS4 can chime in and talk about their experiences.

Thanks so much!

Probably too late for you unless you put down the deposit already, but here are some answers to your questions. I'm c/o 2014.

Quality/feel of the rotation sites varies. We share hospital rotation sites with other DO schools like WesternU and even some with UCSF and UC Davis SJV Prime. We have a lot of affiliations with teaching hospitals with residencies (more traditional attending/resident/intern/student structure) and so if you want that you can get that. However the feel of that is more like an allopathic school where 3rd years are not as hands-on with procedures (in surgery you might be 2nd or 3rd after the residents). We also have tracks with more community hospitals where you're working one on one with the attending and you'll be first assist in surgery and such. It depends what you like. As for number of students per site, it depends which site (how big, how many students it can accommodate) - can be anywhere from 2 to 30.

You will be doing stuff. I had a great 3rd year rotation experience; I felt it was on par with what allopathic students get and maybe even more because I was at a county hospital where students are really relied on to see patients and write notes, help with procedures, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'does the school still support you while you're doing your rotations?' but we do have regular curriculum from Touro that we have to fulfill during our clerkship rotations and call-backs where we come back to campus to do practice clinical encounters and further testing/lectures.

Touro is good about preparing you for board exams. We got at least 4 weeks off to study for Step/Level 1 and I think the recent classes have been pushing for even more. Faculty will hold board review sessions especially for students to review important high-yield material on their own time and prepare practice questions to go over. We also got provided with a Kaplan question bank during our year, I think now Touro has been moving more toward providing USMLE Weapon/COMBANK.

I know Touro hasn't published their board pass rates but I know during my second year we took a practice NBME exam in preparation for USMLE Step 1 and nearly everyone passed it. I can count on one hand my classmates who had to retake either exam. I know a lot of people at my school, including myself, have been able to score well above average on USMLE and COMLEX; this is more of a reflection of your individual preparation than anything. School can only do so much (provide you with the material, teach you how to think about things), the rest is up to you to digest, understand, and memorize the material.

Reactions: 3 users
Probably too late for you unless you put down the deposit already, but here are some answers to your questions. I'm c/o 2014.

Quality/feel of the rotation sites varies. We share hospital rotation sites with other DO schools like WesternU and even some with UCSF and UC Davis SJV Prime. We have a lot of affiliations with teaching hospitals with residencies (more traditional attending/resident/intern/student structure) and so if you want that you can get that. However the feel of that is more like an allopathic school where 3rd years are not as hands-on with procedures (in surgery you might be 2nd or 3rd after the residents). We also have tracks with more community hospitals where you're working one on one with the attending and you'll be first assist in surgery and such. It depends what you like. As for number of students per site, it depends which site (how big, how many students it can accommodate) - can be anywhere from 2 to 30.

You will be doing stuff. I had a great 3rd year rotation experience; I felt it was on par with what allopathic students get and maybe even more because I was at a county hospital where students are really relied on to see patients and write notes, help with procedures, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'does the school still support you while you're doing your rotations?' but we do have regular curriculum from Touro that we have to fulfill during our clerkship rotations and call-backs where we come back to campus to do practice clinical encounters and further testing/lectures.

Touro is good about preparing you for board exams. We got at least 4 weeks off to study for Step/Level 1 and I think the recent classes have been pushing for even more. Faculty will hold board review sessions especially for students to review important high-yield material on their own time and prepare practice questions to go over. We also got provided with a Kaplan question bank during our year, I think now Touro has been moving more toward providing USMLE Weapon/COMBANK.

I know Touro hasn't published their board pass rates but I know during my second year we took a practice NBME exam in preparation for USMLE Step 1 and nearly everyone passed it. I can count on one hand my classmates who had to retake either exam. I know a lot of people at my school, including myself, have been able to score well above average on USMLE and COMLEX; this is more of a reflection of your individual preparation than anything. School can only do so much (provide you with the material, teach you how to think about things), the rest is up to you to digest, understand, and memorize the material.

Thank you pattr!

Perhaps others would be so kind as to lend their advice to me. Touro-CA is in a great location for me (I am from the Bay Area) and it would be a privilege to attend the university. However, one of my largest factors in choosing where to attend is minimizing the need to move extensively in 3/4th year of medical school.

My significant other will be following me for medical school/residency, but I am concerned with Touro-CA's rotations due to others expressing their discontent with the rotational sites. Can anyone shed some light on the potential of having to move around constantly during years 3/4 at Touro-CA? It is a deal-breaker for me. I would very much like Touro-CA to work out for me (for locale and residency placement), but I am highly considering other institutions due to more stability in the proximity of clinical rotations. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Quick question. I got a secondary today and was wondering if I should complete it. It says they are selective about sending secondaries in the email, but it is 100$, and I am unfortunately running low on money. I did not realize the average MCAT scores went up so much for this school. Essentially, I'm 3.5-3.6c/s GPA with a 25MCAT. Although I have extensive clinical (4 years full time) and research hours (no publication though).

I would love a possibility of attending here, but I do not know if I should bother with my score.

Thank you.
I would go for it, you never know. Your GPa is allright though; but prepare emotionally to be placed on wait-list (it is not the best feeling), but worth the shot if this school is your #1 choice.

Hey guys,

Quick question. I got a secondary today and was wondering if I should complete it. It says they are selective about sending secondaries in the email, but it is 100$, and I am unfortunately running low on money. I did not realize the average MCAT scores went up so much for this school. Essentially, I'm 3.5-3.6c/s GPA with a 25MCAT. Although I have extensive clinical (4 years full time) and research hours (no publication though).

I would love a possibility of attending here, but I do not know if I should bother with my score.

Thank you.

At this stage of the game, I would not apply with a 25 MCAT to this particular school.

does anyone know how many interviewees are offered acceptance?

Accepted! Very excited for my first acceptance ever. Interviewed 11/3

Complete late October - still no word back - is that normal?

Last edited:
Accepted today, interviewed 11/18. I'll probably be withdrawing due to the ridiculous $2000 deposit requirement within 2 weeks. Best of luck to everyone at this school.

Congrats to those who are accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting !

I am looking to apply to this school in the upcoming cycle. Is it possible for you guys to give me some feedback on my future application ?

GPA: 3.5, sGPA: 3.6.

MCAT: 28 (VR 8, PS 11, BS 9).

Although there are currently no open spots for the Jan 2015 MCATs, should I start studying again and try to retake ? ( I think I will do better on the current exam with more practice, not sure if I want to take the risk on the new test though)

EC: 300+ hrs in a hospital, some shadowing experience (MDs), teaching health classes to prison inmates.

I went to a community college in southern California, finished my undergrad in UCB. Much appreciated !!

Last edited:
For those who have also been accepted here...

Is there really no background check to complete? There was no mention of charges/convictions on the secondary nor any mention of a background check in the admitted student information... I feel like this can't be and I don't want to miss something and lose my seat.... Anyone under the same impression?

If anyone is curious, Touro CA is not receptive to in the area emails. The response to mine was a single sentence expressing that the decision for an interview is made by the admissions committee..
I hope that I didn't hurt myself by sending one....

I just got mine as well! Thanks.

What exactly did you say in the email to them? I have been verified since late October without a secondary invite.

Anybody with MCAT of 27 and GPAs around 3.4ish get any interview invites? Just trying to get a feel if I'll have any luck. Thanks guys and congrats on your success thus far!

For those who have also been accepted here...

Is there really no background check to complete? There was no mention of charges/convictions on the secondary nor any mention of a background check in the admitted student information... I feel like this can't be and I don't want to miss something and lose my seat.... Anyone under the same impression?

yanks26dmb,

Your feeling is correct, but your information is not correct.

There is a background check. The release/consent form is included in your acceptance letter, along with a drug test consent form. Also, there is a conviction question in the secondary application, as well as a question regarding any academic disciplinary actions taken against you by any institutions you have attended. Requirement of a background check is mentioned multiple times in the accepted students information on the admissions website as well as the student catalog.

FYI - You must send TUCOM your medical and immunizations history, as well as a flu shot and certain booster shots if more than 5yrs has elapsed since your last booster/immunizations series. Also, you must provide Titers for a handful of immunizations, to show that you still have Immunity.

FYI - I just had the flu shot, my first ever, and got "sick". The same thing happened to my father, who received his first flu shot this year as well. If it is possible and you have the time to do so, I recommend that you plan what day you take it so that if you were to have a reaction to the shot, you aren't feeling "under the weather" during anything important (i.e. tests, family events, etc.).

Good luck,

~LHF556

Last edited:
yanks26dmb,

Your feeling is correct, but your information is not correct.

There is a background check. The release/consent form is included in your acceptance letter, along with a drug test consent form. Also, there is a conviction question in the secondary application, as well as a question regarding any academic disciplinary actions taken against you by any institutions you have attended. Requirement of a background check is mentioned multiple times in the accepted students information on the admissions website as well as the student catalog.

FYI - You must send TUCOM your medical and immunizations history, as well as a flu shot and certain booster shots if more than 5yrs has elapsed since your last booster/immunizations series. Also, you must provide Titers for a handful of immunizations, to show that you still have Immunity.

FYI - I just had the flu shot, my first ever, and got "sick". The same thing happened to my father, who received his first flu shot this year as well. If it is possible and you have the time to do so, I recommend that you plan what day you take it so that if you were to have a reaction to the shot, you aren't feeling "under the weather" during anything important (i.e. tests, family events, etc.).

Good luck,

~LHF556

Thanks for the lengthy response.

Quick follow up(s): The secondary only asked about CONVICTIONS of misdemeanor or felonies - not charges, etc. is that correct?

*Can anyone post this question as found in the TUCOM-CA secondary application?

I did notice the background check, but I believe that was speaking about the need for one before beginning rotations. I could have been more clear, but is there not a background check that is completed before enrolling in first year?

Last edited:
Interview Invite today and I'm pumped! :D Complete since 10/27, 3.37 gpa 30 MCAT

Thanks for the lengthy response.

Quick follow up(s): The secondary only asked about CONVICTIONS of misdemeanor or felonies - not charges, etc. is that correct?

*Can anyone post this question as found in the TUCOM-CA secondary application?

I did notice the background check, but I believe that was speaking about the need for one before beginning rotations. I could have been more clear, but is there not a background check that is completed before enrolling in first year?

You should ask a lawyer about the charges vs. convictions; I would guess that if they only ask about convictions, then that is what they are concerned with. For better advice/information, you really should ask a lawyer, preferably one from California, and/or the pre-health advisor from your school.

As far as the background check prior to matriculation, I believe they will run a background check on every accepted student before they enroll so they don't waste their time on those who have criminal histories that would exclude them from attaining residency and/or licensure. Also, they run it to make sure you are who you say you are.

If an accepted student has a criminal history that would disallow them from participating in rotations, getting a residency or getting their license to practice medicine, the med school won't allow them to matriculate. This is so they can keep their statistics up; it doesn't look good when a medical school has more matriculants than graduates that go on to practice medicine. They do this also because they don't want that student to waste their time, money, and energy going to med school when their is little or no chance of being able to practice.

As far as how med schools view different types of convictions and/or charges, I don't know. They may only look at things that would stop you from working in a hospital or getting your medical license, or possibly what it says about you as well (The type of charge/conviction). I don't think traffic violations, loitering, trespassing when you were in high school are things to worry about. More serious things like theft, drugs, violent crimes are more what they are concerned with. But this is just my opinion.

Again, you should ould ask a CA lawyer and/or your school's pre-health advisor for better information; I am in no way an expert.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Accepted!
I am debating between CA and Nevada (already paid my deposit). Plenty of threads say to go to Nevada due to "better" clinical rotations. Ultimately I want to do my residency and practice in CA (lol me and everyone else), so I appreciate your insight on the matter. Can anyone shed light on the match lists between the two schools?

also I think due to some law in NV I can actually get my deposit money back from there. Wondering if I should and pour that 2 grand to tucom-ca

pros: i can get a MPH, possibly better chance at residency in CA?, don't have to buy a damn 1500$ dell
cons: location is not as nice as NV, poor rotation choices due to impacted area,

The match lists are all available on sdn if you look for them... Touro CA does have a significant number of grads that match in CA, more than Touro NV.

Just got the email that I am unofficially ACCEPTED!!!! I interviewed on 11/24. So happy but so nervous since now I have to make a decision between CCOM and here. What to do???

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II today! Called, but no one picked up..left a message. Kind of intimidated by the group interview thing..

Man, I must be super late in the game with all these acceptances going out :(. Primaries release on 10/6 and just heard back today with invite for secondary. Strangely, I got an invite for secondary here, but got rejected at TUN within 30 minutes of asking for an update from them since I hadn't heard in almost 2 months. What are the odds of getting a ii after a secondary invite?

Edit - forgot to mention the necessities
non-trad, southeast asian, several years of patient care experience (close to 6000 hours)
8 letters of recs from professors, do, mds
3.2 gpa, 25 mcat

Last edited:
II today! Called, but no one picked up..left a message. Kind of intimidated by the group interview thing..
Don't be intimidated! They actually ask you questions individually and only direct the question at you. It actually feels more like a panel interview just with a few other people listening in on your responses. Just be confident about your experiences and you'll do fine!

Don't be intimidated! They actually ask you questions individually and only direct the question at you. It actually feels more like a panel interview just with a few other people listening in on your responses. Just be confident about your experiences and you'll do fine!

Thank you! And congrats on your acceptance! :D Hooray!

Has anyone who interviewed last Tuesday heard back today? He said he was going to email us, and now I'm getting nervous...

Hey if anybody's interviewing tomorrow 12/8 and wants to split my car rental and get picked up (from wherever)/dropped off at SFO airport, PM me!

I interviewed last Tuesday and still haven't heard anything...the admissions director said decisions would be released last Friday, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Best interview question came from this school: Why would batman be a good doctor? or something to that extent...

How long does it take to become complete?* I just submitted my secondary a few days ago (waited for three months for my DO letter, arrgh) and I'm wondering if there is any hope so late in the game...

*this sounds like an oddly existential question haha

Yeah, it's pretty relaxed. However, a lot of it depends on what kind of questions you get...
Group interview is not a relaxed interview at all. To be honest, you are in the room to interview with 4 other candidates and I am sure that the rest of them rooting for you to fall miserably. It is just the nature of human competition, no hard feeling though