University of Minnesota c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you recommend any hotels and transportation? I have never even been to Minnesota or even near it so it is a whole new exciting adventure for me lol

I think you'll get more info from the school about hotels/transportation. The long 'n short of it is that you find our own hotel and get there, but, if it's within a reasonable radius the school will get you from your hotel to school and back. There are a number of places just north of school in the Roseville area that are convenient if you have a car: here is a google hotel map (school is near the bottom).

I don't actually advise this, but if you really wanted to be adventurous you could, in theory, fly in, take the light rail from the airport to mpls (blue line) and then to UMN (green line). Then you could stay at a hotel on Minneapolis campus (i.e. NOT vet school). Then you could catch a (free) shuttle bus from Mpls campus to St. Paul campus for your interview. If you were *really* cost-constrained and couldn't afford the cab or whatever to/from a hotel that would be fun. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea how many invites (IS and OOS) they sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you recommend any hotels and transportation? I have never even been to Minnesota or even near it so it is a whole new exciting adventure for me lol
I can say I DON'T recommend the Best Western Bandana Square that's pretty close to campus. The nature of the building (it's built in an old train station) means that some of the rooms conduct sounds to the other rooms very easily. Could hear the people above me talking pretty clearly late into the night before my interview. The Country Inn & Suites in Roseville is the only other hotel in the area I am familiar with and it's pretty nice. As for transportation, I was only there for about 24 hours total so we were able to rent a car at the airport at a decent price which meant we were able to drive around and explore the area a little bit and didn't have to worry as much about how we would get everywhere on time. Otherwise, there are some airport shuttles to take you to your hotel and if you stay close enough to campus you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a way to get from your hotel to the school.

Reactions: 1 user
I can say I DON'T recommend the Best Western Bandana Square that's pretty close to campus. The nature of the building (it's built in an old train station) means that some of the rooms conduct sounds to the other rooms very easily. Could hear the people above me talking pretty clearly late into the night before my interview. The Country Inn & Suites in Roseville is the only other hotel in the area I am familiar with and it's pretty nice. As for transportation, I was only there for about 24 hours total so we were able to rent a car at the airport at a decent price which meant we were able to drive around and explore the area a little bit and didn't have to worry as much about how we would get everywhere on time. Otherwise, there are some airport shuttles to take you to your hotel and if you stay close enough to campus you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a way to get from your hotel to the school.

I don't even think I knew there were hotels down in that area (the bandana square stuff).

Hm. So. I wasn't <planning> to do tours 'n interview-visit stuff this year, but .... I got suckered in. So I might see some of you. If so, say hi and for god's sake tell me who you are. Don't be shy. I'll be the ancient dude with no hair. I don't bite, unless you're @Lupin21 ....

With regard to OOS, yes, there are activities over both days. It's a very light schedule - it's not like they book you all day every day or anything like that. There's a panel session with current students, a lunch, your interview, a tour, a tour of the equine center (go!). Maybe there are one or two other things, I dunno.

One thing that we <don't> do is take you around the rest of campus. If you have time and can tolerate the cold, take a walk up to the student center.... maybe drive around the area a bit and get a feel for it. That sort of "get to know the area" kind of thing, yanno? The vet school interview activities are very focused on *vet school*, but if you come here this will be your home for four years (or more?); so take the time to check it out.

To discover the identity of the fabled LIS... I never thought it would come to be.

Just received an interview invitation! I read that they do behavioral interview questions. Is there a forum someone can point me to for examples on those types of questions? Thanks a bunch!

Just received an interview invitation! I read that they do behavioral interview questions. Is there a forum someone can point me to for examples on those types of questions? Thanks a bunch!

Yay, it's that time of year! LIS's rules on behavioral interviews:

Google 'behavioral interview questions' or some such. This blog article has been around a few years now and has an excellent variety of the type of question that will show up.

The basic advice:

1. Find a place conducive to quiet reflection. Spend a dedicated, significant amount of time thinking back on all the things you've done in the last 5-10 years: places you've been, relationships you've developed, jobs you've had, projects you've worked on, volunteer activities you've done, etc. Just sit, relax, reflect, and stir the memory pot. It will help bring to mind things that may be worthwhile experiences to draw on for answering the questions.

2. Take the list from that blog article and invite someone out to coffee and have them ask you a variety of the questions. Answer them. Ask them how your answer sounded. Keep each answer to a couple minutes.

3. Practice your "So, tell me about yourself?" answer. I hate this question, but in theory you should have a 30-second long spiel. If not for interviews, for jobs down the road.

4. When it comes time for the actual interview, the examples you use to illustrate your answers don't have to be vet-specific. It's more important that you answer *the question being asked* than trying to make it fit a 'veterinary' picture; they're asking specific questions to evaluate personal characteristics that they've identified as important. Also, don't be afraid to use a relatively minor experience: if it answers the question well, that's the important part. Not that it be earth-shattering.

To discover the identity of the fabled LIS... I never thought it would come to be.

I hear he's totally overrated. And ask @Abney ; he stands you up for dinner.

Reactions: 1 users
So has everyone heard from UMN? I just checked my inbox and spam folder and no response.

I thought the invitiations were sent out yesterday :( Maybe today too?

In the past (at least back as far as 2010) they have always gone out in one day, to the best of my knowledge.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to double check spam/etc folders, wait until tomorrow, and then call them and just ask if all the results have gone out. Very possible the wrong email address got in there or some other weirdness. I find it really off-putting when I see posters talking about how often they're calling to check on results and all that stuff - I think it's inconsiderate given the number of applications schools have to deal with. But this is definitely a case where it would make sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
He has a pedostache and a white panel van... kind of creepy to be honest.

Does the sign on the van offer free candy and puppies? Or is it the other type of van?

ewok-gif.gif

happy nightmares to all.

I DO NOT HAVE A PEDOSTACHE.

(Or a white panel van.)

DVMD is a lying liar that lies. Ok, granted, I did HAVE a pedostache for, like, 5 minutes in the process of shaving off a full beard.

I never should have taken that picture. It's nightmare-inducing, even to me.

Yay, it's that time of year! LIS's rules on behavioral interviews:

Google 'behavioral interview questions' or some such. This blog article has been around a few years now and has an excellent variety of the type of question that will show up.

The basic advice:

1. Find a place conducive to quiet reflection. Spend a dedicated, significant amount of time thinking back on all the things you've done in the last 5-10 years: places you've been, relationships you've developed, jobs you've had, projects you've worked on, volunteer activities you've done, etc. Just sit, relax, reflect, and stir the memory pot. It will help bring to mind things that may be worthwhile experiences to draw on for answering the questions.

2. Take the list from that blog article and invite someone out to coffee and have them ask you a variety of the questions. Answer them. Ask them how your answer sounded. Keep each answer to a couple minutes.

3. Practice your "So, tell me about yourself?" answer. I hate this question, but in theory you should have a 30-second long spiel. If not for interviews, for jobs down the road.

4. When it comes time for the actual interview, the examples you use to illustrate your answers don't have to be vet-specific. It's more important that you answer *the question being asked* than trying to make it fit a 'veterinary' picture; they're asking specific questions to evaluate personal characteristics that they've identified as important. Also, don't be afraid to use a relatively minor experience: if it answers the question well, that's the important part. Not that it be earth-shattering.

I hear he's totally overrated. And ask @Abney ; he stands you up for dinner.

Thank you so much! Helps immensely :)

Did anyone get their confirmation email with all the details about the interview day? I am just so paranoid about the survey program they had :( I am like "what if my submission didn't go through successfully? O.O"

Did anyone get their confirmation email with all the details about the interview day? I am just so paranoid about the survey program they had :( I am like "what if my submission didn't go through successfully? O.O"
Not yet. The page said we'd probably hear on Friday though.

So.... this comes up every year (meaning, you're normal) where people get all concerned about sending in info (or some form, or an acceptance, or ...). It's understandable, and I had the same anxiety, and I wish UMN did some sort of "yes, we got your response" for the various things they ask you to fill out in the process.

But I will say this: They're very reasonable people. If they sent you something and you responded like you were supposed to and for some reason something didn't happen; I very much doubt it would suddenly turn into a "well, bummer for you, guess you don't get to do the interview" type of scenario.

So try hard to relax and trust the process. If you haven't heard by a few days from whenever they said you would, then call them. But otherwise don't panic.

Well ok, I got an email today saying they haven't heard from me (so my survey didn't go through) but that they are giving me today too to fill out the survey in case something was amiss. I filled the survey out again immediately and called them. They said they got the second one I filled out. So I'm pretty sure if the survey didn't go through, they would have let u know today and send a little warning! :)

Well ok, I got an email today saying they haven't heard from me (so my survey didn't go through) but that they are giving me today too to fill out the survey in case something was amiss. I filled the survey out again immediately and called them. They said they got the second one I filled out. So I'm pretty sure if the survey didn't go through, they would have let u know today and send a little warning! :)

See? It's not a heartless process. :)

I *do* wish there was some sort of 'confirmation' ... because I remember feeling the exact same anxiety that agisarang42 feels/felt.

I *do* wish there was some sort of 'confirmation' ... because I remember feeling the exact same anxiety that agisarang42 feels/felt.

Haha I know :( but thanks for letting everyone know!

That's weird, I did not received anything from UMN! ..........No news is not good news now.

Do we have to fill out the survey to be considered? I do not think so...

Do we have to fill out the survey to be considered? I do not think so...
For me,, they sent me the interview invite email with the link to choose the best interview date for me!

I think you have to fill out that survey for them to pick an interview date for you. But also, if you didn't fill it out (after getting the interview invite) like what happened above I'm sure they would have contacted you to check in. If you didn't fill it out and haven't heard... I might give them a call...

Hey guys,

Current Minnesota students - How's the cost of living in Minnesota? I had a couple acceptances and I am debating which will be cheaper (if I get accepted from Minnesota of course). All my acceptances are OOS so tuition-wise they are about same but now I am a little worried about cost of living, with the school being in a city... (Although that's what I liked about Minnesota)

My interview is at 10:45 on Saturday 31st!

Hey guys,

Current Minnesota students - How's the cost of living in Minnesota? I had a couple acceptances and I am debating which will be cheaper (if I get accepted from Minnesota of course). All my acceptances are OOS so tuition-wise they are about same but now I am a little worried about cost of living, with the school being in a city... (Although that's what I liked about Minnesota)
My $0.02:

It depends on how you want to live. If you need to live alone, studios and 1BR apartments can cost between $500-$800+/month in rent alone (no utilities). If you have animals, that number can easily go up to find a pet friendly situation. If you're open to sharing with roommates the price obviously goes down.

It's not beachfront California prices, but it's definitely not one of your dirt cheap college town options, and when you have specific requirements (like needing a place that allows larger dogs or multiple animals or a fenced in yard etc and so on) the price can get fairly steep. It also depends on how far you're willing to commute, you can find cheaper options further away, or in "rougher" neighborhoods.

That being said, there's a lot going for the cities - a lot of the urban benefits you won't find in smaller towns.

Personally, I would just do a basic Craigslist or Rentals.com or something search for what you're looking for and just see how it compares.

My $0.02:

It depends on how you want to live. If you need to live alone, studios and 1BR apartments can cost between $500-$800+/month in rent alone (no utilities). If you have animals, that number can easily go up to find a pet friendly situation. If you're open to sharing with roommates the price obviously goes down.

It's not beachfront California prices, but it's definitely not one of your dirt cheap college town options, and when you have specific requirements (like needing a place that allows larger dogs or multiple animals or a fenced in yard etc and so on) the price can get fairly steep. It also depends on how far you're willing to commute, you can find cheaper options further away, or in "rougher" neighborhoods.

That being said, there's a lot going for the cities - a lot of the urban benefits you won't find in smaller towns.

Personally, I would just do a basic Craigslist or Rentals.com or something search for what you're looking for and just see how it compares.

Thanks so much! Yeah that's the thing, I have a pitbull and I saw many apartments near campus has breed limitations. Which I'm pretty sure applies to pitbulls. I know I'm going way ahead of myself looking at apartments before even getting to my interview, but I am so worried about the debt... I will be coming in with my husband and depending on if he can find a job there or not, it might be disastrous. Although I am living in NYC right now, didn't wanna have that kind of expense anymore. Anyway thanks so much!

Hey guys,

Compared to other cities I find that this area isn't that bad. I mean, there's gotta be some draw to living in the great white north, right? Groceries and gas are both cheaper than my home town, which is not that expensive to start with. I'm not sure how utilities compare, but I don't think I pay an exorbitant amount. I think overall this area has one of the cheapest costs of living of the vet schools (at least based on the amount of loan money they budget for living expenses). You can get pretty decent rent if you're willing to live in a house with a number of roommates and save on some utility costs like internet (that's by far my biggest drawback to living alone). You may have better luck with your dog in a house rather than an apartment type place.

Thanks so much! Yeah that's the thing, I have a pitbull and I saw many apartments near campus has breed limitations. Which I'm pretty sure applies to pitbulls. I know I'm going way ahead of myself looking at apartments before even getting to my interview, but I am so worried about the debt... I will be coming in with my husband and depending on if he can find a job there or not, it might be disastrous. Although I am living in NYC right now, didn't wanna have that kind of expense anymore. Anyway thanks so much!

I don't think you're getting ahead of yourself at all. I suppose you could wait for an acceptance/rejection, but .... there's not a TON of time at that point. Might as well start looking around now and start forming an opinion about whether it's a viable option for you.

No idea where you're living in NYC, but I had friends that moved there that paid 3 times for a tiny little 500 square foot apartment what I paid for twice that size apartment here. Although that was, like, a few millenia ago.

Compared to other cities I find that this area isn't that bad. I mean, there's gotta be some draw to living in the great white north, right? Groceries and gas are both cheaper than my home town, which is not that expensive to start with. I'm not sure how utilities compare, but I don't think I pay an exorbitant amount. I think overall this area has one of the cheapest costs of living of the vet schools (at least based on the amount of loan money they budget for living expenses). You can get pretty decent rent if you're willing to live in a house with a number of roommates and save on some utility costs like internet (that's by far my biggest drawback to living alone). You may have better luck with your dog in a house rather than an apartment type place.

Thanks so much! I will be coming with my husband, if I do get accepted, so renting out a room or living with a lot of roommates is unfortunately impossible :( I was wondering about that - the cost of living decided by the school seemed little enough to me. I'll do a little more research but thank you for your answer! Puts my mind little bit more at ease :)

I don't think you're getting ahead of yourself at all. I suppose you could wait for an acceptance/rejection, but .... there's not a TON of time at that point. Might as well start looking around now and start forming an opinion about whether it's a viable option for you.

No idea where you're living in NYC, but I had friends that moved there that paid 3 times for a tiny little 500 square foot apartment what I paid for twice that size apartment here. Although that was, like, a few millenia ago.

That's what I was thinking - there'll be like a month to decide and I want to have an idea before falling in love with a school. I applied around thinking I would be lucky to get one interview anywhere and wouldn't be able to choose :) I live in Brooklyn so it's not Manhattan-expensive but still pretty bad. Tiny apartments for a ton of rent money still seems to be the norm here.

I'm from NY too, my mind is constantly blown at prices everywhere else (well, most places). I guess the plus side is I'm already used to being cold. Acceptance to Minnesota would finally give me a good reason to buy a truck.

I'm from NY too, my mind is constantly blown at prices everywhere else (well, most places). I guess the plus side is I'm already used to being cold. Acceptance to Minnesota would finally give me a good reason to buy a truck.

I am not sure how they compare, but I feel like NY winters have not prepared me to Minnesota ones :D

Seriously though. I double checked the rent prices for some areas, disbelieving what I see. And the car insurances are nothing compared to Brooklyn. :clap: I can finally get a car! So long, subway rides!

I am not sure how they compare, but I feel like NY winters have not prepared me to Minnesota ones :D

Seriously though. I double checked the rent prices for some areas, disbelieving what I see. And the car insurances are nothing compared to Brooklyn. :clap: I can finally get a car! So long, subway rides!

Well I think if you're cold to a point, you just go numb...right? That's my theory.

Well I think if you're cold to a point, you just go numb...right? That's my theory.

Truth. It's really not the 'one time coldness' that gets to you in MN. It's the day after day of cold and wind. It just gets TIRING. But it makes spring all the sweeter. :)

Wait. I'm supposed to be only positive here, right?

Winter sports! Skiiing! Skijoring! Snowmobiling! Ice skating! St. Paul Winter Carnival! Ice fishing! Other stuff!

Do we pay an additional tuition for the summer semester in 4th year? I have just read that we do, is this the norm for every veterinary school?
I ask a lot of questions - Thanks!

Do we pay an additional tuition for the summer semester in 4th year? I have just read that we do, is this the norm for every veterinary school?
I ask a lot of questions - Thanks!

Yes, you do. They actually cut our tuition a bit this last summer.

My understanding is that it's the norm for other schools, but that's not a highly informed comment.

Asking questions is both a smart way to make decisions, and a good way to show them you're interested when you do your interview. And, when you do your tour, it keeps your tour guides from getting grumpy. Don't ever apologize for asking questions. :)

Yes, you do. They actually cut our tuition a bit this last summer.

My understanding is that it's the norm for other schools, but that's not a highly informed comment.

Asking questions is both a smart way to make decisions, and a good way to show them you're interested when you do your interview. And, when you do your tour, it keeps your tour guides from getting grumpy. Don't ever apologize for asking questions. :)

Thank you for answers! :)

The anticipated debt just keeps increasing :laugh: I need to get used to this and not hyperventilate each time I learn of a new expense.

Does anybody know how much we'll be outside throughout the interview day? I'm from the south and am trying to figure out how to dress for Minnesota in February :p