University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you mean an ASA list rolling over from the 2013-2014 cycle?

Yup that's what it looked like. And they didn't create an ASA list last year from what I saw on the thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup that's what it looked like. And they didn't create an ASA list last year from what I saw on the thread.

That definitely sounds like good news! Also, someone mentioned that they thought they started interviewing a couple of weeks later this year than last year so that could bode well for november interviewees as well. When did you interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted too! Interviewed Nov 3rd. Hopefully you hear back really soon! The wait is not fun, but I bet it will be worthwhile
Congrats to you as well Who10!!! Hopefully we can be classmates if you do decide to go to this school and if I get accepted :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Ack now I'm even more nervous. I just looked through last years thread and it looks like almost everyone that interviewed in November last year was waitlisted! Praying that this year they haven't filled that many of their spots as early!!
:O OMG! Pleaseee I love this school, my heart just died. Hopefully we will have more luck. Im praying that not all the seats are filled yet

:O OMG! Pleaseee I love this school, my heart just died. Hopefully we will have more luck. Im praying that not all the seats are filled yet

Dec 1 interview. ...yall are freakin me out.

SORRY! Not trying to start a panic haha. This is all just speculation... we have no real way of knowing how things will really pan out this cycle. Fingers crossed!!!

That definitely sounds like good news! Also, someone mentioned that they thought they started interviewing a couple of weeks later this year than last year so that could bode well for november interviewees as well. When did you interview?

I interviewed on Nov. 17th! Hoping we both get accepted soon!

Can anyone comment on housing options available???

ACCEPTED!! See you guys soon class of 2020! Do we have a facebook page?

ACCEPTED!! See you guys soon class of 2020! Do we have a facebook page?

Yayyyyyyy!!!! Congrats! Hopefully some more acceptances will be coming out soon! Interviewed on the 17th!

Reactions: 1 users
Yayyyyyyy!!!! Congrats! Hopefully some more acceptances will be coming out soon! Interviewed on the 17th!
I hope you hear good news soon as well! Keep us updated!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone gotten a II recently?

Accepted and trying to figure out what the clinical rotation set up will be like as a student.

Does anyone know what the process is like for students to find their own Selective and Elective Rotations 3rd and 4th year. I know it is different from other schools in that it isn't already set up for you through the school. How does it work?

Still silence.. does anyone know if UNECOM does silent rejections? There is no way to check on our application status via a portal, right?

Accepted and trying to figure out what the clinical rotation set up will be like as a student.

Does anyone know what the process is like for students to find their own Selective and Elective Rotations 3rd and 4th year. I know it is different from other schools in that it isn't already set up for you through the school. How does it work?

I don't have the exact details but I have spoken to current students and none of them complained about the process being too difficult. From what I know, there are a handful of rotation sites for 3rd year and you just rank them by preference so you don't have to find them that year. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe at most schools you have to set up your own 4th year rotations?

When were you interviewed and accepted, by the way?

Okay, that is helpful, thanks. I don't know the exact difference, I have just heard that it is a little harder for UNE students because they are on their own, I just don't know what that means and how it differs from other schools. Maybe the other schools have set sites and you just pick them and the school sets it up as opposed to UNE where you pick and set it up? Just throwing out guesses. Does that seem possible?

And I interviewed 10/6 and got accepted 10/28

interviewed here today! this program seems very solid - would love to have met even more current students, however the ones that passed by our tour all were very happy appearing. my fellow interviewees were an awesome group as well.

interviewed here today! this program seems very solid - would love to have met even more current students, however the ones that passed by our tour all were very happy appearing. my fellow interviewees were an awesome group as well.
Yay good luck! I got the same feeling! I love the atmosphere of the school. I interviewed a while ago and forgot what info they gave about lecture types. Any information you can offer!

@Bronze_rose : my understanding is that they have a big emphasis on team based and case-based learning. For OMK, students sit at tables with their teams within the large lecture hall, and work together to solve cases, etc. For the clinically focused classes and sections involving anatomy, i believe students work within very small groups (of 4 or so they said).

@Bronze_rose : my understanding is that they have a big emphasis on team based and case-based learning. For OMK, students sit at tables with their teams within the large lecture hall, and work together to solve cases, etc. For the clinically focused classes and sections involving anatomy, i believe students work within very small groups (of 4 or so they said).

Thank you :) I remember them saying OMK was one of the best, something other schools don't have. I do remember the team approach. That was something I really liked. thanks for sharing. Congrats on your interview and good luck with the rest of the cycle!

Thank you :) I remember them saying OMK was one of the best, something other schools don't have. I do remember the team approach. That was something I really liked. thanks for sharing. Congrats on your interview and good luck with the rest of the cycle!
Hi
I'm a current first year student. The material we cover is broken into a block system where we spend 6 weeks focusing on specific sections of the body. block one was upper extremity, block two was lower, and now we are in block 3 covering the thorax. We split the material between osteopathic medical knowledge (OMK) and osteopathic clinical skills (OCS). Each week for OMK we have lecture, team case challenge, cased based learning, and clinical practice conference. Each of these is spent within a group of 6 students, our CBL groups. Lecture sets us up with the information we need to cover for the week. CBL has us map out the concepts we covered in lecture connecting it with a clinical case. TCC is another opportunity to apply the lecture material to a case but involves other CBL groups and allows us to debate the case that we are presented. A guest speaker is usually called in for CPC where we may discuss topics ranging from chronic pain to inter professional work.

OCS covers anatomy, small group, large group, and histo/radiology. small group is where we learn general clinical skills like palpatory exams etc. large group is where we cover OMM. There is a lot of carryover between the classes and everything melds together to some degree.

All that being said I spend about 90% of my time with the 5 people in my CBL group working through the material and even hanging out outside of class. I love It. I think UNECOM does an excellent job accepting students that will work well together.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi
I'm a current first year student. The material we cover is broken into a block system where we spend 6 weeks focusing on specific sections of the body. block one was upper extremity, block two was lower, and now we are in block 3 covering the thorax. We split the material between osteopathic medical knowledge (OMK) and osteopathic clinical skills (OCS). Each week for OMK we have lecture, team case challenge, cased based learning, and clinical practice conference. Each of these is spent within a group of 6 students, our CBL groups. Lecture sets us up with the information we need to cover for the week. CBL has us map out the concepts we covered in lecture connecting it with a clinical case. TCC is another opportunity to apply the lecture material to a case but involves other CBL groups and allows us to debate the case that we are presented. A guest speaker is usually called in for CPC where we may discuss topics ranging from chronic pain to inter professional work.

OCS covers anatomy, small group, large group, and histo/radiology. small group is where we learn general clinical skills like palpatory exams etc. large group is where we cover OMM. There is a lot of carryover between the classes and everything melds together to some degree.

All that being said I spend about 90% of my time with the 5 people in my CBL group working through the material and even hanging out outside of class. I love It. I think UNECOM does an excellent job accepting students that will work well together.
Thank you so much, it's nice to hear from a current student. So there is a lot of time spent in small groups, I think that's great.

Do you know much about how rotations work?

Thank you so much, it's nice to hear from a current student. So there is a lot of time spent in small groups, I think that's great.

Do you know much about how rotations work?
I don't know that much about rotations as im still in my first year but here is what I know. 3rd year students will end up at one of 12 locations. The twelve locations are in Maine, Mass, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island. Each student ranks the different clinical campuses and is put in lottery sorting system. From what i heard most students last year got within their top 3 choices and a few ended up with their fourth choice. The location that you get is where you spend all of 3rd year. I think 4th year is really up to you. It's your opportunity to set up rotations at the places that you will be applying to for residency, and a time to cover any rotations that you want to experience.

I don't know that much about rotations as im still in my first year but here is what I know. 3rd year students will end up at one of 12 locations. The twelve locations are in Maine, Mass, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island. Each student ranks the different clinical campuses and is put in lottery sorting system. From what i heard most students last year got within their top 3 choices and a few ended up with their fourth choice. The location that you get is where you spend all of 3rd year. I think 4th year is really up to you. It's your opportunity to set up rotations at the places that you will be applying to for residency, and a time to cover any rotations that you want to experience.

I spoke with a second year student about this today. He said you get presentations from all the 3rd year clinical sites throughout fall semester of 2nd year, then rank sites you want, plus write down why you want them (rural vs. urban, family nearby, etc). A group of 1st and 2nd year students make the decisions. He said last year about 80% got their 1st choice, 16% got their second choice, and the rest got their third.

I just got an interview invite for 1/14. I was complete 11/16

Hi Everyone!
I have a question. What is the typical turn around time for getting a decision after your interview? Do you receive it through e-mail or snail mail? Thanks!

Hi Everyone!
I have a question. What is the typical turn around time for getting a decision after your interview? Do you receive it through e-mail or snail mail? Thanks!

It looks like lately the avg is about 2 weeks. At the interview they said "3-4 weeks" but they may have just said that to be safe (tho with the holidays coming up there's a chance it won't be till the new year). And they said both an email and snail mail copy will be sent. I'm just praying it's a positive one :).

Hi Everyone!

When I interviewed they said they had a new system for sending out replies and there may be some glitches. They told us to expect "3-4 weeks, but maybe earlier, maybe a little later."

I heard back in three weeks, a friend of mine heard back in 10 days. I think it's pretty random, but would expect anywhere from 2-6 weeks.

Thank you! Good Luck to both of you!
It looks like lately the avg is about 2 weeks. At the interview they said "3-4 weeks" but they may have just said that to be safe (tho with the holidays coming up there's a chance it won't be till the new year). And they said both an email and snail mail copy will be sent. I'm just praying it's a positive one :).

When I interviewed they said they had a new system for sending out replies and there may be some glitches. They told us to expect "3-4 weeks, but maybe earlier, maybe a little later."

I heard back in three weeks, a friend of mine heard back in 10 days. I think it's pretty random, but would expect anywhere from 2-6 weeks.

I also heard the "3-4 weeks" figure, but my interviewer said that the admissions committee meets on Friday, and they try to send out replies within 10 days after that.

So maybe as early as the 18th, MarshMedic! (Hi! I'm the other medic in your group from Tuesday!)

Last edited:
II for 1/14! This school sounds really great. I'm interviewing in the afternoon, does that mean my tour is in the afternoon as well?

II for 1/14! This school sounds really great. I'm interviewing in the afternoon, does that mean my tour is in the afternoon as well?

First off, congratulations! To answer your question, yes. I had an interview session in the morning. We all went to an information session. Then, half the group went on the tour where the other half stayed back and interviewed. Then we switched.

Depending on how they scheduled you, you'll either have your interview before or after the tour, but still in the afternoon.

Good luck!!!

can anyone provide more insight into the interview process at UNECOM? Was it stressful or more relaxed?

can anyone provide more insight into the interview process at UNECOM? Was it stressful or more relaxed?

Personally it was stressful, maybe just because it was my first one.

They tell you it's conversational and relaxed, but mine felt more like Q and A. It was three people interviewing, a student, a professor, and a clinician from the community. One wore flannel and jeans if that's any comfort lol...

The questions were pretty standard, nothing too out there.

Just be yourself. They told us the goal is just to see if you're a good fit for the program. Good luck!

First off, congratulations! To answer your question, yes. I had an interview session in the morning. We all went to an information session. Then, half the group went on the tour where the other half stayed back and interviewed. Then we switched.

Depending on how they scheduled you, you'll either have your interview before or after the tour, but still in the afternoon.

Good luck!!!

Awesome, thanks!!

I also just got an II for 1/14!

So excited, I've heard great things about this program!