University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The class size is currently around 175, so I suspect that what they have on the website has not been updated recently.

Members don't see this ad.

I know the size increase was recent, but are there perhaps better number then? I know it won't change anything, but I like crunching numbers like that, helps pass the waiting game for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I wish I knew, they did say they were interviewing more people this year at the interview, but they also said the class size was currently 175 or so, who knows

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you look at LECOM's acceptance rate, they hand them out to about 73% of those that were interviewed. They just know that with their expensive fee to hold your spot, most students won't pay it if they've received an acceptance elsewhere.
Basically, if you're good in the interview, you'll get a spot.

Reactions: 1 user
I sure hope so, my interview went really well I thought, and today is exactly 4 weeks from my interview date and still haven't heard! ugh

Gave up my interview here today. Tough decision but don't think it's in the budget right now. Best of luck to everyone, seems like a fantastic place to go to medical school!

Has anyone else heard back post-interview since last Tuesday?

I was interviewed about two weeks ago at UNECOM. Since I seem to be one of the few who didn't drive to maine, I think I can help some of you with the logistics of getting there by shuttle bus. Now, I took a bus ride with Concord coarch line from Boston to Portland for 14 dollars round trip. The bus will stop at Portland Transportation Center. From there, you have to catch a city bus (route #5) to go the junction where you can catch an intercity bus from Portland to Biddeford. The total cost of this exercise was (7+1.5+5) 13.5 dollars for me. I stayed at America best value inn (55$ a night). It is clean and neat. In anycase, I just need a night to stay. I had my dinner at a chinese buffet close to the hotel, rather cheap. If you want something more, you can walk for about 20 minutes.
In the morning, I took a cab to UNECOM from my hotel. It was about 25$. When it is time to go back, I begged a ride from an applicant who passed through
Everyone at portland was very nice but the city is boring and biddeford is even more so. However, since we are going for school and not vacation, it is allright. As a matter of fact, I did not pay anything at all for the bus fares. The gentleman who drive the city bus offered me a bus ride for free from the train station and helped me catch the intercity city shuttle bus (BTW, it is called a zoom zoom bus, strange, isn't it?). Then the zoom zoom bus drive gave a free ride to biddeford and droped me off right infront of my hotel.

Now, if you want to take train from Boston, this is also a good idea that I did not know before then. You just get an amtrak ticket for boston to portland, should be about 20$. The train will take you through biddeford. The saco-biddeford station is a small station with no personnel. So, you have to buy all your ticket beforehand. From the saca-biddeford train station, you can call a taxi to take you to your hotel.

I think I covered just about everything.

How long do they give you to make a decision if you are accepted?

People may be having second thoughts after part of Maine got 15'' of snow, yesterday. This is only the beginning! :)

How long do they give you to make a decision if you are accepted?

you have until mid-december to pay the deposit. It is whatever the aacom recommendations are. Look on the school page on aacom.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was interviewed about two weeks ago at UNECOM. Since I seem to be one of the few who didn't drive to maine, I think I can help some of you with the logistics of getting there by shuttle bus. Now, I took a bus ride with Concord coarch line from Boston to Portland for 14 dollars round trip. The bus will stop at Portland Transportation Center. From there, you have to catch a city bus (route #5) to go the junction where you can catch an intercity bus from Portland to Biddeford. The total cost of this exercise was (7+1.5+5) 13.5 dollars for me. I stayed at America best value inn (55$ a night). It is clean and neat. In anycase, I just need a night to stay. I had my dinner at a chinese buffet close to the hotel, rather cheap. If you want something more, you can walk for about 20 minutes.
In the morning, I took a cab to UNECOM from my hotel. It was about 25$. When it is time to go back, I begged a ride from an applicant who passed through
Everyone at portland was very nice but the city is boring and biddeford is even more so. However, since we are going for school and not vacation, it is allright. As a matter of fact, I did not pay anything at all for the bus fares. The gentleman who drive the city bus offered me a bus ride for free from the train station and helped me catch the intercity city shuttle bus (BTW, it is called a zoom zoom bus, strange, isn't it?). Then the zoom zoom bus drive gave a free ride to biddeford and droped me off right infront of my hotel.

Now, if you want to take train from Boston, this is also a good idea that I did not know before then. You just get an amtrak ticket for boston to portland, should be about 20$. The train will take you through biddeford. The saco-biddeford station is a small station with no personnel. So, you have to buy all your ticket beforehand. From the saca-biddeford train station, you can call a taxi to take you to your hotel.

I think I covered just about everything.

I am taking the train from Boston to Saco. its $40 round trip. I am going in and coming back on the same day so saving money on hotel. I have 45 minutes between my train arrival in Saco to the start of the check-in. How long do you think it takes to get from Saco to campus with a taxi? It shows it as 4 miles but do I have to call a taxi before my train arrives or do you think there are plenty of taxi's at the stop? Thanks

I am taking the train from Boston to Saco. its $40 round trip. I am going in and coming back on the same day so saving money on hotel. I have 45 minutes between my train arrival in Saco to the start of the check-in. How long do you think it takes to get from Saco to campus with a taxi? It shows it as 4 miles but do I have to call a taxi before my train arrives or do you think there are plenty of taxi's at the stop? Thanks
It takes about ten-ish minutes to get from the Saco train station to campus. I would recommend calling a taxi while you are on the train to come and pick you up by a certain time, just to be safe.

if I wanted to GPS my way to the campus for my interview next week, what address should I put in? best lot to park in?

So I booked my train to Saco and the only train that worked out after the interviews is at 7:30pm. So I am basically stuck at UNE from my interview (anytime between 1-4) to the train departure. Can you guys let me know if there are things I can do there to check out the town? or does anyone who is in the same boat as me want to meet up on November 18 and grab dinner?

They said 3-4 weeks, its been 5 :(
That's pretty unusual. Might be due to block week though, many of the professors are either overseeing exams or doing in-person CAPs, so they might have been too busy to meet for this round of acceptances yet. I wouldn't stress it.

What type of housing is available? do most medical students live on campus housing or outside?

I spoke with admissions today, and they said they'd be sending out admissions decisions for mid-October interviews today and tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

What type of housing is available? do most medical students live on campus housing or outside?
There is no on-campus housing for medical students. Most students live in either downtown Biddeford or in seasonal rentals on the beaches along the coast heading toward Kennebunkport.

So I have a few questions about UNECOM, and I'm going to ask them here since a student hasn't contacted me yet as per my request to the school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I heard that their anatomy program is more in-depth than other schools, because they have the students dissect cadavers from the beginning instead of having them prosected beforehand. Is this true?

2. What is the percentage of students that receive their 'preferred match' for residency? And what is the percentage that enter the scramble?

3. Does the school have outreach programs in the area / abroad that current students can be a part of? I have seen some programs on their website, but it fails to indicate if students participate or if the school just funds the efforts.

4. What is the percentage of matriculated students that graduate with their entering class? (looking for how many either repeat classes/years or drop out)

I know that most people won't know these specific answers, and I will likely have to ask them during the interview, but I just want to know the most about the school as I can before I head out personally next week.

Interview invite yesterday for Nov 19th. submitted Oct 13th, complete Oct 31st

That's pretty unusual. Might be due to block week though, many of the professors are either overseeing exams or doing in-person CAPs, so they might have been too busy to meet for this round of acceptances yet. I wouldn't stress it.

Yeah, a couple people I interviewed with added eachother on facebook and no one has heard anything yet! The stress is real though!

I was also wondering the same question as your question number 3 and I believe they said there isn't any school funded ones but most student organizations and clubs have their own trips, that you pay to go on.

I spoke with admissions today, and they said they'd be sending out admissions decisions for mid-October interviews today and tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
They weren't lying to you.... first acceptance so far!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today! I don't think I'm going to go here though. The campus was GORGEOUS but I didn't like all the group-based education.

As for stats...
Complete on 9/12, ii on 9/19. Interview on 10/14
OOS (Iowa) with 30MCAT/3.8 GPA, two years of volunteering with sexual assault survivors in hospital and non hospital settings.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! I'm beyond thrilled. Words can't even describe... First acceptance as well. Congratulations to the accepted, and good luck to those still going through the process!

Interviewed 10/14

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed 10/1 OOS, one of my top choices :)

So I have a few questions about UNECOM, and I'm going to ask them here since a student hasn't contacted me yet as per my request to the school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I heard that their anatomy program is more in-depth than other schools, because they have the students dissect cadavers from the beginning instead of having them prosected beforehand. Is this true?

2. What is the percentage of students that receive their 'preferred match' for residency? And what is the percentage that enter the scramble?

3. Does the school have outreach programs in the area / abroad that current students can be a part of? I have seen some programs on their website, but it fails to indicate if students participate or if the school just funds the efforts.

4. What is the percentage of matriculated students that graduate with their entering class? (looking for how many either repeat classes/years or drop out)

I know that most people won't know these specific answers, and I will likely have to ask them during the interview, but I just want to know the most about the school as I can before I head out personally next week.
1- yes, it is. We do a full year-long dissection. We probably have one of the best gross anatomy programs in the country, MD or DO.

2- Can't say because I don't think it's a figure we collect. I know that 100% entered GME last year and that our match list is decent.

3- What kind of outreach? We're very involved with the local community, doing everything from educational outreach to working with kids with cancer. If you wanted to do something internationally, you'd have to arrange and pay for it yourself most likely. As an added note, we're one of the few DO schools that allows for international rotations in 4th year.

4- The number of students that have to repeat a year in each class is about 8 or so out of 175 if last year was any indication. All but one came back, and none of the ones that came back have failed a second time. Many of the repeats also had personal things outside of medical school that came up and required them to take a LoA, they didn't all fail the year. That comes out to about 95.4% of people completing the program on time (excluding people that choose to do am anatomy/OMM fellow year and voluntarily prolong their education) and probably 98-99% graduating overall on any timescale. We've only lost one person so far in my class.

Accepted! I'm beyond thrilled. Words can't even describe... First acceptance as well. Congratulations to the accepted, and good luck to those still going through the process!

Interviewed 10/14
Accepted! Interviewed 10/14.
Accepted today! I don't think I'm going to go here though. The campus was GORGEOUS but I didn't like all the group-based education.

As for stats...
Complete on 9/12, ii on 9/19. Interview on 10/14
OOS (Iowa) with 30MCAT/3.8 GPA, two years of volunteering with sexual assault survivors in hospital and non hospital settings.
Oh My God. Me too. First acceptance... ever! Hopefully more will come, so that I can say I have multiple acceptance.
Accepted! Interviewed on Oct 16.
Congrats everyone!

Accepted interviewed Oct. 16th. I will be attending. Already cut the check...

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!! First acceptance! OOS (south).
Confirmed: 9/9
II: 9/18
Interview: 10/2
LizzyM <65 non-trad. Had both MD and DO schools on the secondary so don't worry guys! Ahhh waited a long time for this! Good luck everyone else.

Well, it looks like calling didn't jinx me, first acceptance!

IS, interviewed 10/15

Accepted! First acceptance (OOS - NY resident) of the cycle, 2nd time applying. It's been a really long year... :*)

Really surprised for the fast turnaround. Interviewed 10/22. Congrats to those who were accepted as well... and those who are waiting, hang on and believe in yourself. :)

Interviewed 10/22, accepted! Minnesota resident, 3.36GPA, 37MCAT

Much quicker than I expected, and honestly... loved this school!

interviewed on 10/23rd, thought I would hear back around thanksgiving, but hey, just got accepted!!!
gonna have a hard time falling asleep tonight ^^

Accepted! Interviewed mid October, Lizzy M around 63. OOS. As a reapplicant, it's very nice to finally get that first acceptance. Good luck and congrats to the rest of you!

Complete 9/24, ii 9/24, interviewed 10/15, accepted!

did anyone interviewed not get accepted? lol I'm liking these odds thus far

did anyone interviewed not get accepted? lol I'm liking these odds thus far
It's been a few weeks since I was there but I seem to remember faculty telling me that you have a slightly better than %50 shot at being accepted once you get interviewed. Something like that. I got accepted today as well, so maybe those odds are better than I remember.

1- yes, it is. We do a full year-long dissection. We probably have one of the best gross anatomy programs in the country, MD or DO.

2- Can't say because I don't think it's a figure we collect. I know that 100% entered GME last year and that our match list is decent.

3- What kind of outreach? We're very involved with the local community, doing everything from educational outreach to working with kids with cancer. If you wanted to do something internationally, you'd have to arrange and pay for it yourself most likely. As an added note, we're one of the few DO schools that allows for international rotations in 4th year.

4- The number of students that have to repeat a year in each class is about 8 or so out of 175 if last year was any indication. All but one came back, and none of the ones that came back have failed a second time. Many of the repeats also had personal things outside of medical school that came up and required them to take a LoA, they didn't all fail the year. That comes out to about 95.4% of people completing the program on time (excluding people that choose to do am anatomy/OMM fellow year and voluntarily prolong their education) and probably 98-99% graduating overall on any timescale. We've only lost one person so far in my class.

Thanks for all the information. What year are you?