*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn't need to send in the new transcript unless you had submitted your spring grades as part of your application. If you did include your spring grades in your application, then the verification process cannot start until your latest transcript is received.

So if I have my Spring quarter classes listed but no grade inputted because they are still in progress, then will they still be expecting a transcript or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I have my Spring quarter classes listed but no grade inputted because they are still in progress, then will they still be expecting a transcript or not?

If you are submitting your application with those classes marked as Current/Future, then they would not be expected to be listed on your transcript.

So my degree if from the engineering department and hence pretty much a 5 year degree. On transcripts the grades are listed by your year in school. In my case this means 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th years. On entering the grades into AMCAS it does not have space for anything after 4th year, I assume entering my 5th year grades (and maybe 6th for anyone who really dragged their feet) into the 4th year section is the correct thing to do? The postbacc section seems def not correct.

Yes, it looks like 4th year is the best thing to do. In AMCAS, as long as you haven't received your degree, the table ADCOM members will see will have your grades from years 4, 5, etc. combined in year 4. As soon as you get a degree, any further coursework is combined into a 5th line.

Many thanks!

Merging with appropriate thread

So last semester I was elected to a leadership position in a particular org however due to extenuating circumstances I may or may not be able to fulfill the position. I just recently found this out and am waiting to hear for certain but it may not be for a couple of months until I know for sure.

I would just not include it however I am kinda low on leadership experience so it would be nice to write.

Thoughts?

Include in app or not?

I personally wouldn't. You haven't really had experience with it, and including it on your application and then turning down the job would suck. Also, you might get asked about it, in which you would either tell them you're not doing it any more (which woudl raise a flag) or you would have to lie. Both aren't good.

I would say that you shouldn't include it, but if you do end up taking it, then just send an update letter to your schools notifying them.

Thanks that makes sense so if I am able to do it can I just update my amcas when I find out or is there some other format for doing that?

You can't update your AMCAS once it has been submitted, save for a few sections, such as personal information. You can't change persona statement, experiences, things like that.

You would just type up a letter and mail or email it to the school's admissions office.

Merging with appropriate thread

What if I leave my contact blank? meaning no contact # as well?

I volunteered for a huge hospital a few years, and never got any contact information. I am not even sure if the same people are still there.

What if I leave my contact blank? meaning no contact # as well?

I volunteered for a huge hospital a few years, and never got any contact information. I am not even sure if the same people are still there.

Call up the volunteer department and ask them to confirm that they have a record of you visiting, if possible. They would be able to provide you with a contact.

Hey all! I was wondering- Do we have to fill out that Letter of Evaluation Tab before we can submit our primary application?

My school won't send out its committee letter till early July, so I was wondering if that would be a problem.

Hey all! I was wondering- Do we have to fill out that Letter of Evaluation Tab before we can submit our primary application?

My school won't send out its committee letter till early July, so I was wondering if that would be a problem.

You can submit without completing it, if I'm not mistaken. However, if you know you're receiving a letter, you should at least create a placeholder for it in your application. You can submit even with having LOR slots for which letters have not yet been received.

I graduated college the summer after my third year. According to the AMCAS calendar (summer session carries over to a new academic year), would I have to enter my school year as "senior" for just the one summer school class I took, and then use freshman, sophomore, and junior for my three years? Or do I use freshman, sophomore, and senior (with my summer school class coming under "senior", too)? A bit confused here. Thanks a lot!

I graduated college the summer after my third year. According to the AMCAS calendar (summer session carries over to a new academic year), would I have to enter my school year as "senior" for just the one summer school class I took, and then use freshman, sophomore, and junior for my three years? Or do I use freshman, sophomore, and senior (with my summer school class coming under "senior", too)? A bit confused here. Thanks a lot!

The instruction manual says: "Courses for a Bachelor's degree earned in three years should be assigned statuses of Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), and Senior (SR)." (page 37) Your credit breakdown over your years would determine how you assign the three statuses, but I'd imagine that your summer school class would be included in your senior status (third year). Just because a new academic year/term started doesn't mean that your Year in School has to tick over as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we check if transcripts have been received on the AMCAS application page and if so, how?

Thanks!

Can we check if transcripts have been received on the AMCAS application page and if so, how?

Thanks!
AMCAS will send you an email. I don't think there is any way to check on the application page.

[ETA: Mauberly is right. Click on the "Details" link under Status and it will tell you if they've received the transcript]

Last edited:
I needed to change my legal name recently and my LORs don't reflect this change (address me by my older name). Will it be enough just to add this older name to the "Alternate Names" section of the AMCAS to avoid any confusion?

Thanks!

You can submit without completing it, if I'm not mistaken. However, if you know you're receiving a letter, you should at least create a placeholder for it in your application. You can submit even with having LOR slots for which letters have not yet been received.

Thanks! I also wanted to verify one more piece of information; I forget where I read this, but is it correct that once AMCAs receives your letters of evaluation from your undergrad school, they will automatically forward them to the medical schools?

hey guys,
Have 2 questions:
1. Do we send our transcripts to the specific medical schools or to AAMC in general
2. If we are sending our transcript, do we still need to enter the coursework section?

Thanks!

hey guys,
Have 2 questions:
1. Do we send our transcripts to the specific medical schools or to AAMC in general
2. If we are sending our transcript, do we still need to enter the coursework section?

Thanks!

1) AMCAS.
2) Yes.

hey guys,
Have 2 questions:

Thanks!
Read through this thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823760

1. AMCAS. Don't send them to med schools
2. YES. Definitely. You have to enter coursework and send your transcript.

[ETA: Mauberly wins again!]

Last edited:
I am entering my courses and in my school if you participate in a research lab the lab will show up in your transcript and the professor can grade you. I just want to know if it will be considered to be BCPM? I entered it as biology lab into AMCAS. Is that correct? Thank you very much.

So i get a form from AMCAS and give it to the registrar for them to send it directly to the med schools?
If so, where would I find such a form?

Thanks!

I am entering my courses and in my school if you participate in a research lab the lab will show up in your transcript and the professor can grade you. I just want to know if it will be considered to be BCPM? I entered it as biology lab into AMCAS. Is that correct? Thank you very much.
Usually you're fine if the research was listed under a BCPM department on your transcript. It it's listed otherwise, then AMCAS changes it. At least that's what I found when searching since I am in a similar situation. Google is your friend

Usually you're fine if the research was listed under a BCPM department on your transcript. It it's listed otherwise, then AMCAS changes it. At least that's what I found when searching since I am in a similar situation. Google is your friend
Merging with Official AMCAS Question Thread.

hey guys,
Have 2 questions:

Thanks!

1) AMCAS.
2) Yes.

Read through this thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823760

1. AMCAS. Don't send them to med schools
2. YES. Definitely. You have to enter coursework and send your transcript.

[ETA: Mauberly wins again!]

So i get a form from AMCAS and give it to the registrar for them to send it directly to the med schools?
If so, where would I find such a form?

Thanks!

Merging with Official AMCAS Questions Thread.

How long is the delay between actual reception of the transcript and having them marked as received on AMCAS?

I had my transcript sent with confirmation of arrival (and I know its physically there), so I do have to wait until they "process" it?

Sorry if this seems paranoid, just want to make sure I did things correctly.

Question about listing repeated classes:

I know I have to list both attempts at the course. However, at the bottom should I checkmark "repeat" for BOTH attempts or only the second one?

I remember hearing that AMCAS sends applications in various waves to the medical schools. So for example, if the first wave of applications are sent out June 6th, there shouldn't be a difference between someone who turned in their application June 1st or June 5th.
Does anyone have more information about this? Is this even true? If it is, does anyone know of any dates?
I've always been set on applying June 1st, but my personal statement at the moment could use a bit more revision, and I'm going on a medical mission trip from June 1st to June 6th. So if the 'first wave' is sometime after June 6th, I have nothing to worry about.
Thanks in advance.

June 17 is the earliest that any applications would be sent out. What I would think is actually working against you is not any theorized "waves" but how early you can get in the queue for verification. See this thread for last year's results.

On a somewhat related question, how much would it hurt me to have my application complete by mid-June as opposed to early June? I've asked my professors for letters and asked them to complete by mid-June, most said they would have it done easily, but should I perhaps request them to finish by early June?

On a somewhat related question, how much would it hurt me to have my application complete by mid-June as opposed to early June? I've asked my professors for letters and asked them to complete by mid-June, most said they would have it done easily, but should I perhaps request them to finish by early June?

You don't need the letters to submit your AMCAS. Since most secondaries aren't even released until early July, having your letters ready by late June will be fine.

I remember hearing that AMCAS sends applications in various waves to the medical schools. So for example, if the first wave of applications are sent out June 6th, there shouldn't be a difference between someone who turned in their application June 1st or June 5th.
Does anyone have more information about this? Is this even true? If it is, does anyone know of any dates?
I've always been set on applying June 1st, but my personal statement at the moment could use a bit more revision, and I'm going on a medical mission trip from June 1st to June 6th. So if the 'first wave' is sometime after June 6th, I have nothing to worry about.
Thanks in advance.

June 17 is the earliest that any applications would be sent out. What I would think is actually working against you is not any theorized "waves" but how early you can get in the queue for verification. See this thread for last year's results.

You don't need the letters to submit your AMCAS. Since most secondaries aren't even released until early July, having your letters ready by late June will be fine.

Merging with AMCAS Questions thread

How long is the delay between actual reception of the transcript and having them marked as received on AMCAS?

I had my transcript sent with confirmation of arrival (and I know its physically there), so I do have to wait until they "process" it?

Sorry if this seems paranoid, just want to make sure I did things correctly.
The login page for the application tells you what the delay is like. Right now, the delay is about 3 days it looks like

Question about listing repeated classes:

I know I have to list both attempts at the course. However, at the bottom should I checkmark "repeat" for BOTH attempts or only the second one?

The instruction manual only refers to "courses" when describing the "repeat course" special status, so I assume that means you need to apply that for every instance of the course. Hopefully someone with experience can say definitively.

Thanks! I also wanted to verify one more piece of information; I forget where I read this, but is it correct that once AMCAs receives your letters of evaluation from your undergrad school, they will automatically forward them to the medical schools?

Yes. Letters will be forwarded to the schools you designate. This allows you to pick and choose which schools receive which letters.

I created a PDF of my entire application via the "Print Application" function. Everything looks good, except that the letter "x" looks a little strange whenever it appears in my application. It's still legible, just smaller than the other letters. It's the same in places where I typed directly into the box and in places where I cut/pasted from text edit. Does anybody else have this problem?

I created a PDF of my entire application via the "Print Application" function. Everything looks good, except that the letter "x" looks a little strange whenever it appears in my application. It's still legible, just smaller than the other letters. It's the same in places where I typed directly into the box and in places where I cut/pasted from text edit. Does anybody else have this problem?

Nevermind... just realized that if I increase the magnification a few times, everything looks normal.

I had a question along the same vein. I've been receiving P/NP credit for my lab work, but its not under the Biology department. Rather, its under the "Undergrad Interdisciplinary Studies" department. The title, however, is "Research in Biological Sciences"

A few questions
1. Should I list this as Biology or Other?
2. Should I select "Lab Only"?

Thank you!

I had a question along the same vein. I've been receiving P/NP credit for my lab work, but its not under the Biology department. Rather, its under the "Undergrad Interdisciplinary Studies" department. The title, however, is "Research in Biological Sciences"

A few questions
1. Should I list this as Biology or Other?
2. Should I select "Lab Only"?

Thank you!
1. See FAQ in post 2 of this thread
2. Yes. It's a lab, right?

Since you cannot use indentation in the personal statement section without eating up characters, is it best to just separate paragraphs with a full line of empty space i.e.

...end of paragraph.

Beginning of new paragraph...

Or is there a better way to go about that?

Since you cannot use indentation in the personal statement section without eating up characters, is it best to just separate paragraphs with a full line of empty space i.e.

...end of paragraph.

Beginning of new paragraph...

Or is there a better way to go about that?

Two carriage returns (that is, a full line of empty space as you said) will suffice. It only eats up two of the allotted characters, just as a single carriage return plus tab would.

Do tutorials count as labs? For a genetics class I had we had 2 hour tutorials every other week and for an english class I had tutorials 1 hour a week with a TA where we would have presentations, discuss ideas, etc.

Do tutorials count as labs? For a genetics class I had we had 2 hour tutorials every other week and for an english class I had tutorials 1 hour a week with a TA where we would have presentations, discuss ideas, etc.

i think a lab counts as a class in which you do lab work. tutorials sound like discussion sections.

Transcripts in Interfolio are considered unofficial, even though they may come from the registrar directly: http://help.interfolio.com/entries/166308-storing-a-transcript-in-your-interfolio-account

I don't see why AMCAS would consider an Interfolio-sent transcript official when even Interfolio does not consider its copy official.

Why did two of my transcripts randomly showed up in Interfolio? This might be a dumb question, but schools sent the transcripts to the AAMC too, right???? I included the AAMC form in all the requests.

Why would they send them to interfolio too? I got the personal non-official ones I requested via the mail, so why bother uploading them? Wierd.

Why did two of my transcripts randomly showed up in Interfolio? This might be a dumb question, but schools sent the transcripts to the AAMC too, right???? I included the AAMC form in all the requests.

Why would they send them to interfolio too? I got the personal non-official ones I requested via the mail, so why bother uploading them? Wierd.

Perhaps this is a question better taken up with your schools' offices of the registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.