2010-2011 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I transmitted 9/30. I never received an "under review" email. My stats are 3.89 GPA and a 31Q MCAT. I've only had one interview with UTSW lol. Any thoughts? Are any of these other TX schools going to email me?!

Hey there,

I applied last year with slightly less good, but similar stats 29R/3.87. I submitted TMDSAS and secondaries on or about 9/16 and was transmitted 10/14, which was later than you.

I ended up with 3 interviews to UTMB (11/13), Tech-Lubbock and A&M (both in early December). I got in Feb 1 to UTMB (1st choice).

Moral of the story: Don't give up hope, there is still plenty of time to get interviews in November and even early December too. I think I got all my interviews in November lol. Not getting a pre-match is NOT the end of the world. Feb 1 works just as well, if you can handle the waiting lol. That's the worst.

The interviews here are low-key and not at all stressful, so don't worry. I didn't get asked any questions that were hard or made me feel worried. It was very conversational, so relax, put your best foot forward and be yourself.

UTMB (like all the other schools) do screen for personality in your application. That's sometimes why you get invites to some schools and not others. That and there is a limit to how many interviewees they can accommodate obviously. Each school looks for a certain "type" of student. I think UTMB looks for really down to earth, low key, happy people, because that's how most of my classmates are. Of course, we all do get stressed especially near exam times, but I think most of us are really happy here. I know I am... :) No regrets! LOL, that being said, if you haven't gotten an invite, its probably not because UTMB thinks you're like a gunner or something... sometimes that's just how the chips fall, so don't stress. You'll be a perfect fit somewhere :)

Finally, I really love seeing you interviewees on campus (sitting in the library at UTMB right now, watching a couple of you head home for the day, as I procrastinate studying... :rolleyes: -- you did great, don't worry!)... you guys keep me from feeling even slightly jaded, because I remember my own excitement at interviewing and then getting accepted, knowing I was about to start accomplishing my dream :) So thanks, you guys, for your enthusiasm and smiles that help me remember how lucky I am to be here, and how lucky you guys are going to be soon too! Feel free to ask us for help if you need it at any time during your interview day.

And of course, feel free to PM me or post here if you have any questions. :D

Members don't see this ad.

hey thanks for the words of encouragement DrHiner! hhehe i am still waiting for an invite from UTMB. So far I only have 2 texas interviews and I would love for the chance to go to UTMB... This is my 2nd time applying. didn't get any interviews last year. This year, I submitted on June 1 and was transmitted June 23. But I retook the MCAT on July 29th, so TMDSAS didn't get that score until September 1 (I went from a 28 to a 34!!!) Now I'm patiently (and desperately) waiting for more interviews... :scared:

hey thanks for the words of encouragement DrHiner! hhehe i am still waiting for an invite from UTMB. So far I only have 2 texas interviews and I would love for the chance to go to UTMB... This is my 2nd time applying. didn't get any interviews last year. This year, I submitted on June 1 and was transmitted June 23. But I retook the MCAT on July 29th, so TMDSAS didn't get that score until September 1 (I went from a 28 to a 34!!!) Now I'm patiently (and desperately) waiting for more interviews... :scared:

It was my 2nd time applying too. I only got 1 interview the first year (UT-H) and I think it was a pity invite because I'd worked their for 5 summers... they sorta had to interview me ;)

Awesome increase in MCAT score! Mine was much less impressive. I was so ignorant when I applied the first time... and unlucky -- I took the MCAT with mono (dumb move #1) and got a 25 (boo), panicked, debated for too long about whether or not I should apply (dumb move #2) and got a pity invite for December 5th (unlucky, because that's the day my mom had died a few years previously so I wasn't "myself" that day, despite my best efforts to suck it up). So yeah, no dice that year. lol.

Either way, I'm actually glad I didn't get in that year because I got a year off to get married, relax and enjoy being married and to decompress from a demanding 4 yrs of college.

ANYWAY, best of luck to you. I hope you hear from more :) Remember, all of November is still in front of us!! I'd say try to be patient, but who are we kidding? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an invite a couple days ago (Weds?) to Interview on Nov. 12th!
Anyone else interviewing then??

I really am convinced the schools space out their applicants equally, as my friend and I have almost exactly the same stats (same GPA, same MCAT, same school), but he received an invite to interview at UTMB way back in September. Oh, and he submitted/transmitted much later than I did too!

Plenty of time left to interview..must..be..patient.. ;p !! God bless and good luck to all!!:D

Received an invite a couple days ago (Weds?) to Interview on Nov. 12th!
Anyone else interviewing then??

I really am convinced the schools space out their applicants equally, as my friend and I have almost exactly the same stats (same GPA, same MCAT, same school), but he received an invite to interview at UTMB way back in September. Oh, and he submitted/transmitted much later than I did too!

Plenty of time left to interview..must..be..patient.. ;p !! God bless and good luck to all!!:D

Congrats and thanks for the luck :)

I wanna punch UTMB in the face

I wanna punch UTMB in the face

hahaha! ursa that will only make things worse.but I get where you coming from. I feel the same way about UTHSCSA.:laugh:

interview invite for md phd program!! OOS international
YAY!!

Cool! What day you interviewing? What you wanna do you PhD on?
Mid january. And i would like to go into cancer biology or pharmacology
Are you also an MD/PhD applicant? did you get an interview?
Im kinda nervous cos up till now I have only interviewed regular MD. MD/PhD seems to me like it would be a regular MDinterview on steroids....

Mid january. And i would like to go into cancer biology or pharmacology
Are you also an MD/PhD applicant? did you get an interview?
Im kinda nervous cos up till now I have only interviewed regular MD. MD/PhD seems to me like it would be a regular MDinterview on steroids....

Yea, Galveston is the only school I am applying to MD/PhD; all the others I have applied to MD. Interview is this Friday and from the itinerary it looks to be an all day thing. We will see how it goes!

Yea, Galveston is the only school I am applying to MD/PhD; all the others I have applied to MD. Interview is this Friday and from the itinerary it looks to be an all day thing. We will see how it goes!
this friday?? GOODLUCK!! Tell me how it allworks out. Are you a TX resident? I may PM you later if thats ok to ask how your interview went

Members don't see this ad :)
MD/PhD acceptance to UTMB only 1.5 weeks after my interview. Sweet!

MD/PhD acceptance to UTMB only 1.5 weeks after my interview. Sweet!
CONGRATULATIONS!! Do you know how many people they accept yearly? And how often they interview? I am interviewing in jan and wonder if thats late for an MD/PhD program? Also, can I PM you for interview pointers? This is def my top choice sch for MD/PhD

CONGRATULATIONS!! Do you know how many people they accept yearly? And how often they interview? I am interviewing in jan and wonder if thats late for an MD/PhD program? Also, can I PM you for interview pointers? This is def my top choice sch for MD/PhD

I believe their class size is 3-7 a year, but they offer significantly more acceptances to fill it. I'm not sure how often they interview for MD PhD but I was in the first group on 10-22 which I think had 7 total interviewees. A PM would be fine. The interview was very laid back and friendly. Research seems strong at this school in a variety of fields, especially so in pathology.

i wonder how many students get pre-matched into UTMB.

nov 15 is almost here! excited. pick me! lol

Interview Invite today for November 19th!!!! So excited :D Transmitted on 9/28

Does anyone know when the last interview date is or how many they have left?

Have you been accepted to UTMB?

Yes I have. Last years class has a great facebook group and it seems to make for great communication. I would love for that to happen with this class too.

The last interview date should be the first week of December....

FINALLY! Received my interview invite yesterday around 2pm. This will be my 7th interview in TX (only Lubbock and Baylor I have not heard from).

best of luck to you all!

also, does anyone know if UTMB does a good amount of pre-match offers? if so, how many are we talking?

thanks in advance!

FINALLY! Received my interview invite yesterday around 2pm. This will be my 7th interview in TX (only Lubbock and Baylor I have not heard from).

best of luck to you all!

also, does anyone know if UTMB does a good amount of pre-match offers? if so, how many are we talking?

thanks in advance!

ehmdee, when did you transmit? I really want to get an invite from UTMB but i'm getting anxious the further I get into November...

is there anyone who transmitted in/after September 1 and didn't get a complete email?

Last edited:
ehmdee, when did you transmit? I really want to get an invite from UTMB but i'm getting anxious the further I get into November...

is there anyone who transmitted in/after September 1 and didn't get a complete email?

Transmitted 06/10/10
GPA: 4
MCAT: 29 (meh)

welcome

ugh i really should have submitted earlier... only got 2 in-state interviews even though my stats are ok (mcat 34R, gpa 3.88)

utmb next friday! (and then southwestern the next day? whew.)

I transmitted 9/14 and never received a complete email, but did receive an invite on 10/22 for an interview yesterday (11/5). So I guess they forget to send it out to some people? I don't know, but I guess if you don't receive the complete email, it doesn't mean they didn't get your stuff. If you've been complete for a while and heard nothing, then you may want to call just to make sure..and for peace of mind, of course! :)

I transmitted 9/14 and never received a complete email, but did receive an invite on 10/22 for an interview yesterday (11/5). So I guess they forget to send it out to some people? I don't know, but I guess if you don't receive the complete email, it doesn't mean they didn't get your stuff. If you've been complete for a while and heard nothing, then you may want to call just to make sure..and for peace of mind, of course! :)

How was your interview day????

How was your interview day????

It was okay. I loved the school and curriculum, but I thought one of my interviewers was kind of harsh, as if she was questioning my motivation to go into medicine (even though I'm a reapplicant and assured her that if I didn't get in this time, I would apply again next year). I felt like I answered her answers the best I could, but I was kind of surprised by it. Other than that, everyone was super nice, and the opportunities there are amazing. We'll see how it goes. I hope that interview won't hurt me too much. :xf:

I'm standing my ground...I still want to punch UTMB in the face. :slap:

I feel the same way... But it's a new week now! COME ON UTMB!!!:xf:

I think I'm just gonna count it as a loss. If I hear from them, woohoo. If not, I'll just hold out for a pre-match to a different school next week!

I'm with ya, Ursa! We have very similar stats and identical interviews. UTMB seems to be a lost cause.

Here's hoping.

:xf:

I'm with ya, Ursa! We have very similar stats and identical interviews. UTMB seems to be a lost cause.

Here's hoping.

Keep me updated...And I'll do the same! Here's to us! :highfive:

Here's hoping.

I'm not giving up until I have proof that they're done interviewing!

i wonder how many students get pre-matched into UTMB.

nov 15 is almost here! excited. pick me! lol

Last year they prematched ~400. They announced that during lunch on my interview day. Needless to say, I thought for sure that meant I wasn't going to get in, but I did on Feb 1, first choice, so don't let pre-match numbers scare you. A LOT of people who receive one prematch offer will receive multiple, meaning most of the pre-match offers don't actual result in seats getting filled at any school.

That being said, they'll probably offer less this year since they over-accepted last year.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow :luck:

Yes I have. Last years class has a great facebook group and it seems to make for great communication. I would love for that to happen with this class too.

Not to brag, but our facebook page is great -- it was actually a (small) factor in me ranking UTMB so high ... all the other schools had really quiet, non-communicative facebook pages, but ours was full of activity even just during interview season, with people meeting up and getting to know each other. And we are as friendly as we seem - I love it here!

So far only 1 interview at TCOM. I believe all these schools just look at numbers and then interview only those candidates. They talk about diversity and uniqueness but I think that is just all talk.

So far only 1 interview at TCOM. I believe all these schools just look at numbers and then interview only those candidates. They talk about diversity and uniqueness but I think that is just all talk.

I'm not going to say that numbers aren't a factor, but they aren't the only factor -- that's why 45/4.00 don't always get in, and people with 25's can. I got an interview w/ a 25 / 3.9 at UT-H because I had 4 summers of research and the rest of my app was good.

Yes, numbers are an easy and direct way to assess and do have predictive strength for the majority, but there are always exceptions and I know at least some of the schools in Texas consider things outside of numbers when making decisions.

I do have to say though, the numbers game is only going to get worse in applying for residencies... plenty of specialties search the databases of applicants by score... score>x = look at application, score < x = not looked at. It's rough, and it sucks, and I'm sure many a fabulous applicant (at whatever stage) gets passed over, but again, it's one of the easiest ways to quickly evaluate 1000+ applicants.

Best of luck to you; try not to be too jaded... it's too early in your medical career :)

Not to brag, but our facebook page is great -- it was actually a (small) factor in me ranking UTMB so high ... all the other schools had really quiet, non-communicative facebook pages, but ours was full of activity even just during interview season, with people meeting up and getting to know each other. And we are as friendly as we seem - I love it here!

It's very true. The facebook page is amazing and still is a great place to turn for information if you are in the 2014 class. I really hope to build our facebook page to be as strong...but no one wants to join!!!! So everyone join today!

It's very true. The facebook page is amazing and still is a great place to turn for information if you are in the 2014 class. I really hope to build our facebook page to be as strong...but no one wants to join!!!! So everyone join today!

Do you mind posting the link or what to search for?! I've been looking, but I can't find it! It would be great to start talking to fellow classmates!

Last edited:
I'd join but I think that might be bad luck, we'll see Monday..

:luck:

I'd join but I think that might be bad luck, we'll see Monday..

:luck:

Well best of luck! And you can always join just for fun even if you decided to go somewhere else. Its serves as a good resource:cool:.I looked at your other post and if you have questions minor questions about UTMB or any questions about the two Techs lol I can help. I went to Tech for under grad and did tons and tons of shadowing at TTUHSC. UMC was my second home. My roommate was also a med student. My real home is in El Paso and I worked for the Tech here. (TTUHSC EP)

I am trying to find out what is unique about each of the Texas schools that is
UTMB
UT houston
UT San antonio
Texas a&m

is there someone here on sdn that knows anything about them?

man i hope i get in tomorrow.

anyone know how many pre-match offers are given?

Status
Not open for further replies.