2023-2024 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Texas A & M Secondary Essay Prompts: (Question #1 has changed from last year) **Regular MD interviews are remote (online)**

1. As a physician, you never know what type of patient you will serve. From your past experiences, please describe or highlight factors or situations that demonstrate your ability to work with individuals from multicultural communities. (3500 chars max)

2. The Texas A&M School of Medicine embraces the Aggie Core Values of Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity and Selfless Service. Please elaborate on personal characteristics, values, accomplishments and/or any experiences that you feel will help to demonstrate your potential to contribute to the school and to the profession of medicine. (3500 chars max)

3. Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage not mentioned in your primary application essays. What strategies have you used to address these circumstances? (3500 chars max)

4. OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters total) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EnMed - Specific Prompts: All are 250 words. **EnMed interviews are in-person**

1. How did you hear about the EnMed program?

2. How will the Engineering Medicine program meet your career goals and aspirations in ways that a traditional MD program would not?

3. List the knowledge and skills you have participated in outside the classroom, then describe how these have prepared you to create innovative medical technologies.

4. List the knowledge and skills you have acquired inside the classroom, then describe how these have prepared you to create innovative medical technologies.

5. At the end of your career, what do you want to have accomplished in order to consider yourself successful?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Texas A & M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My grandpa was a teacher at this university for several years and is one of the big reasons I am applying here as an out of state applicant. Would it be worth it to write about this relation to Texas A&M in my optional essay? I cannot seem to find a good place for this in the secondaries that were posted last year.

My grandpa was a teacher at this university for several years and is one of the big reasons I am applying here as an out of state applicant. Would it be worth it to write about this relation to Texas A&M in my optional essay? I cannot seem to find a good place for this in the secondaries that were posted last year.
Sounds like a good place

I thought you were saying to talk about it in your secondary essays. @reese2023 is right, I wouldn't put it in the essays that all TMDSAS schools see.

Maybe this year's essay prompts will be a little different.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure it would be a good idea unless the only school you're applying to via TMDSAS is A&M. All schools are going to receive the optional essay, including ones that aren't TAMU.

I'm not sure it would be a good idea unless the only school you're applying to via TMDSAS is A&M. All schools are going to receive the optional essay, including ones that aren't TAMU.
He was also stationed in the military in Texas, so hopefully I can make it a little more generalizable so I can include more schools. TAMU is the only school I am really hoping to get into into anyways, however.

Just got a secondary invite btw. So check y’all’s emails!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck everyone!! @wysdoc

1. As a physician, you never know what type of patient you will serve. From your past experiences, please describe or highlight factors or situations that demonstrate your ability to work with individuals from multicultural communities. (3500 chars max)

2. The Texas A&M School of Medicine embraces the Aggie Core Values of Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity and Selfless Service. Please elaborate on personal characteristics, values, accomplishments and/or any experiences that you feel will help to demonstrate your potential to contribute to the school and to the profession of medicine. (3500 chars max)

3. Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage not mentioned in your primary application essays. What strategies have you used to address these circumstances? (3500 chars max)

4. OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters total) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, @yearofmagicalthinking
I want to comment that the A&M deans DO NOT see that final question as optional and would be really puzzled if there are "NO" areas of medicine that currently interest you. I believe there is a sample list of types of practice affiliated with this question.

Is question #3 about possible hardships required, or optional?

Reactions: 2 users
I noticed the first prompt changed from last year's secondaries. However, in my mind it mostly seems like the same question (e.g. it would warrant the same stories, anecdotes, experiences, etc.). Is this accurate or is this question asking something totally different?

For reference last year's secondary was:
1. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 characters)

I noticed the first prompt changed from last year's secondaries. However, in my mind it mostly seems like the same question (e.g. it would warrant the same stories, anecdotes, experiences, etc.). Is this accurate or is this question asking something totally different?

For reference last year's secondary was:
1. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 characters)
You are probably right that your responses could cover the same ground.
I know a lot of applicants were confused about what the wording of the prior prompt meant.

You are probably right that your responses could cover the same ground.
I know a lot of applicants were confused about what the wording of the prior prompt meant.
Thanks! I was mainly confused about the "individuals from multicultural communities" part. I might be overthinking it, but do we have to talk about experiences where we worked with individuals who are a part of multiple cultures or merely a [single] culture that differed from our own, if that makes sense?

Thanks! I was mainly confused about the "individuals from multicultural communities" part. I might be overthinking it, but do we have to talk about experiences where we worked with individuals who are a part of multiple cultures or merely a [single] culture that differed from our own, if that makes sense?
Notice how they would like you to draw on your own experiences in your reply. You can apply your answer to any relevant differences.

Members don't see this ad :)
For questions one, does multicultural explicitly refer to people from different cultures/countries? Or could I discuss interacting with diverse groups like the LGBTQ community and homeless community?

For questions one, does multicultural explicitly refer to people from different cultures/countries? Or could I discuss interacting with diverse groups like the LGBTQ community and homeless community?
With all kindness, I answer lots of questions but I can't tell you what to write.
Your own experiences and insights will make your essay unique.

Reactions: 1 users
I really wish they didn't use the word multicultural in the prompt, it's one of those unclear buzzwords that confuses more than it clarifies.

Multicultulturalism is a difficult topic to understand since it keeps evolving but people assume it means someone different from how you identify yourself. it is definitely questionable to assume homelessness as a culture as opposed some people who got here from poorer countries who might currently be poor but do come from a specific culture.

It is required, yes.
Question #3.

Remember that the prompt asks you not to repeat information in your primary application. I do not think TMDSAS has "Other Impactful Experiences" (please correct if it does), but keep in mind the character length is longer than the AMCAS prompt (and I think it's optional). I don't believe the school can access your AMCAS.

Question #3.

Remember that the prompt asks you not to repeat information in your primary application. I do not think TMDSAS has "Other Impactful Experiences" (please correct if it does), but keep in mind the character length is longer than the AMCAS prompt (and I think it's optional). I don't believe the school can access your AMCAS.

1. We have a “unique circumstances” essay that some have used as a disadvantaged essay. This third prompt is definitely a bit tricky with the strict guideline of not repeating information on the primary

2. This also seems really similar to the personal characteristics prompt in TMDSAS

Question #3.

TMDSAS schools don't see your AMCAS application or its essays.
AMCAS did add the optional essay "other impactful experiences".
TMDSAS has an optional essay (2500 characters) which could be used to discuss hardships, but which is pretty open and can be used to write about almost anything that's important about you or to you.

TMDSAS schools don't see your AMCAS application or its essays.
AMCAS did add the optional essay "other impactful experiences".
TMDSAS has an optional essay (2500 characters) which could be used to discuss hardships, but which is pretty open and can be used to write about almost anything that's important about you or to you.
Thanks!

For my own interest (and my OIE article), has TMDSAS published the proportion of applicants (recent cycle/s) submitted a response to the optional essay?

“Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage not mentioned in your primary application essays. What strategies have you used to address these circumstances?”

I’m having trouble navigating this essay without breaking the “not mentioned” rule. The primary unfortunately offered me every opportunity to “mention” all of these hardships, but TMDSAS being so short, didn’t offer me much to expand on.

If anyone has any past experiences with writing this, would it be fair game to describe a circumstance in greater detail/different angle? I did have a death in my immediate family, but I mention it during a paragraph in my PS as my motivation for medicine (but did not expand or reference upon it afterwards).

appreciate any insight.

“Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage not mentioned in your primary application essays. What strategies have you used to address these circumstances?”

I’m having trouble navigating this essay without breaking the “not mentioned” rule. The primary unfortunately offered me every opportunity to “mention” all of these hardships, but TMDSAS being so short, didn’t offer me much to expand on.

If anyone has any past experiences with writing this, would it be fair game to describe a circumstance in greater detail/different angle? I did have a death in my immediate family, but I mention it during a paragraph in my PS as my motivation for medicine (but did not expand or reference upon it afterwards).

appreciate any insight.
Yes, you can expand on it or bring out different aspects in this essay. Be sure to focus on the "how did you handle this" part.
While it's good to follow the rules & all, they are not heartless and don't expect someone to have more than one serious life event to talk about in essays.

Yes, you can expand on it or bring out different aspects in this essay. Be sure to focus on the "how did you handle this" part.
While it's good to follow the rules & all, they are not heartless and don't expect someone to have more than one serious life event to talk about in essays.
I’ll make sure to do so. Thanks so much!

Anyone's TMDSAS application verified yet? If so, when did you submit?

Has anyone successfully gotten a secondary fee waiver here? MSAR says they have them. I’ve wasn’t able to get in contact with them at all last cycle but would love to know if anyone knows the best way to reach out other than email!

Heya has anyone's secondary been marked as completed? Mine says my LOR's weren't recieved but shows that they were on 5/9.

Heya has anyone's secondary been marked as completed? Mine says my LOR's weren't recieved but shows that they were on 5/9.
For a lot of these things a human being in the office staff has to manually check things off in your student application portal.
If you know the letters went to TMDSAS, it is now just the mechanics of things getting updated.
Don't call & ask the school unless you see nothing happening for another 3 weeks.

For a lot of these things a human being in the office staff has to manually check things off in your student application portal.
If you know the letters went to TMDSAS, it is now just the mechanics of things getting updated.
Don't call & ask the school unless you see nothing happening for another 3 weeks.
Ah gotcha, thanks!

Has anyone successfully gotten a secondary fee waiver here? MSAR says they have them. I’ve wasn’t able to get in contact with them at all last cycle but would love to know if anyone knows the best way to reach out other than email!
I emailed them a few days ago but haven't heard back. Thinking about calling and asking Tuesday.

It is up to you to look at each school’s page to see if they offer secondary fee waivers, and ask for one if they do

It is up to you to look at each school’s page to see if they offer secondary fee waivers, and ask for one if they do
Yes, they do according to the MSAR and I both emailed and called them last cycle to try to get one. I just wanted to see if anyone has had any success as I’ve been unable to get a response.

Yes, they do according to the MSAR and I both emailed and called them last cycle to try to get one. I just wanted to see if anyone has had any success as I’ve been unable to get a response.
Last cycle, after 3 emails and a month of waiting, they sent me a form that I needed to get my Dean and Fin. Aid officer to sign to verify my low income status and required an additional essay explaining my circumstances. It’s possible, but certainly an uphill battle!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Prompt 3 has got me pretty lost, I don't feel like I have any extenuating circumstances of the caliber of their listed examples. Would talking about having a friend with a drug addiction be weird as an answer? It just doesn't feel like it compares to an illness/death or financial troubles, but I don't know what else I could talk about that comes close to that level of hardship...

Howdy! I am a current medical student at A&M and am happy to answer any questions throughout the year when I have time! Feel free to quote, mention, or PM me to get my attention.

Howdy! I am a current medical student at A&M and am happy to answer any questions throughout the year when I have time! Feel free to quote, mention, or PM me to get my attention.
What was the standard patient interview part like?

What was the standard patient interview part like?
It was similar to a live version of CASPer and genuinely nothing to stress about. If you are just your normal self then you will do fine. It is a small glimpse into what an OSCE will be like in medical school. The advice we are given for OSCEs is to "suspend your disbelief" and treat it like is a real encounter--not simulated.

What did your application cycle timeline look like in regards to hearing back from A&M?

When is the earliest an interview invite goes out usually?
They have to read your primary, secondary, and a few dozen or hundred other people's before they make interview decisions.
Here is the first date all the schools started last year. #2
I'll set up a similar page sometime in July and do the same thing.

They have to read your primary, secondary, and a few dozen or hundred other people's before they make interview decisions.
Here is the first date all the schools started last year. #2
I'll set up a similar page sometime in July and do the same thing.
Cool link @wysdoc . Looks like Sam Houston was the first to start on July 1st.

I haven't yet received a secondary from Texas A&M even though I applied when the TMDSAS submission opened and my app was transmitted more than a week ago. Did I get screened out? I am a reapplicant. I am also not getting secondaries from other schools that have already sent them out.... I've checked my spam

I haven't yet received a secondary from Texas A&M even though I applied when the TMDSAS submission opened and my app was transmitted more than a week ago. Did I get screened out? I am a reapplicant
A&M is one school where they claim to love reapplicants. No way to be screened out.

For A&M - is it okay if I submit the secondaries 2 weeks (14 days) after receiving it? Is that something that could be looked down on or it considered fine.

For A&M - is it okay if I submit the secondaries 2 weeks (14 days) after receiving it? Is that something that could be looked down on or it considered fine.
Doesn't matter at this point in the cycle

I received a text message saying my app was transmitted and to check email for secondary, but I can't find email. Any suggestions of where it may be? Yes I checked spam

How do I send my letters of recommendation to A&M? I'm applying thru AMCAS and they don't use the AMCAS letter service... Is it something I do after I receive my secondaries?

How do I send my letters of recommendation to A&M? I'm applying thru AMCAS and they don't use the AMCAS letter service... Is it something I do after I receive my secondaries?
Are you applying to the EnMEd program? That's the only one that will allow application through AMCAS, and this should allow AMCAS letter service.
Applicants to regular MD use the TMDSAS application, and letters can be uploaded directly by the writer (after you list their name/email in the TMDSAS application) or by delivery from Interfolio.

I received a text message saying my app was transmitted and to check email for secondary, but I can't find email. Any suggestions of where it may be? Yes I checked spam
are you a reapplicant? I received this text too wihtout any emails , and I logged into my portal from last year and my secondary and submission was there.