2013-2014 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

For the 4th (and final as a student here) year now I'll be sticking around to try and answer any questions you all may have about the school.

I recommend reading through at least last years thread to see a general timeline of events and for good tips/answers.

Question about possibly applying here:

I was born in Chicago & currently live in Chicago, but did live in Champaign-Urbana for 4 years for a job & am eager to get back to the Central/Southern IL area & have a strong interest in rural medicine. Is it worth applying or will I likely be rejected as a Chicago resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
similar question to what Glados said above!

My parents live in naperville now and I was going to apply until people pointed out the fact that SIU like to take non-Chicago residents.

Question about possibly applying here:

I was born in Chicago & currently live in Chicago, but did live in Champaign-Urbana for 4 years for a job & am eager to get back to the Central/Southern IL area & have a strong interest in rural medicine. Is it worth applying or will I likely be rejected as a Chicago resident?
There are a couple people from Chicago area every year it seems.

If you fit the mission here I'd still apply.

I am from Southern Illinois and have lived in the area my entire life. I have a 3.5 overall GPA (3.6 science GPA) and have been doing 6 hours during the year (30 hours during the summer) of research. I will have two publications submitted at the end of the summer, but I am lacking in my volunteering experience. I was wondering how much this would hurt my chance of being accepted.

Take MCAT on July 26th.

I am from Southern Illinois and have lived in the area my entire life. I have a 3.5 overall GPA (3.6 science GPA) and have been doing 6 hours during the year (30 hours during the summer) of research. I will have two publications submitted at the end of the summer, but I am lacking in my volunteering experience. I was wondering how much this would hurt my chance of being accepted.

Take MCAT on July 26th.
Might hurt a bit but not crippling by any means.

Take MCAT on July 26th.
Make sure you have secondary responses polished and ready to submit as soon as possible b/c of your late MCAT. Every day counts... I missed the cut-off inclusion in SIU's second batch of acceptance decisions by one day.

Anyone having a problem adding SIU to their list of schools on AMCAS? Under the program selection options only the Combined MD/JD is listed. Do we just select that and not apply to the Law school if we are looking to apply MD only?

was freakin born at the damn hospital and because i dont live in illinois anymore, I can't even try and train at the hospital I was born at. now that's blasphemy...

Anyone having a problem adding SIU to their list of schools on AMCAS? Under the program selection options only the Combined MD/JD is listed. Do we just select that and not apply to the Law school if we are looking to apply MD only?

I don't remember this being a problem for me... I will look into it

I just checked, MD only is an available option on the 2014 app as well as MD/JD. Contact AMCAS if it's not showing up for you.

So here's a scenario for everyone: When I applied last year and received my secondary, I decided to withdraw my application and not submit it. Afterward, I received a letter from SIU saying something to the extent of "It's really too bad you didnt complete your secondary". I didnt know schools responded to such things! Has anyone ever heard of this or experienced it? What did/ does it mean?:confused:
I will definitely not be making that mistake again!

Members don't see this ad :)
They said that because they wanted to interview you. Pretty much everyone who gets a secondary gets an II (only 300-400 secondaries are given out for the entire ~1200 applicant pool), so you made their biggest cut and statistically had about a 35-50% chance of acceptance from that point on (~150 accepted out of that smaller pool. Why did you withdraw?

Edit: SIU is the only MD school I know of that does such a big pre-secondary cut, so such a response is more the exception than the rule.

Last edited:
They said that because they wanted to interview you. Pretty much everyone who gets a secondary gets an II (only 300-400 secondaries are given out for the entire ~1200 applicant pool), so you made their biggest cut and statistically had about a 35-50% chance of acceptance from that point on (~150 accepted out of that smaller pool. Why did you withdraw?
Well, since Im a non-traditional applicant, there were more factors involved: I have a family and household I just couldn't move away from... Life is different when you're 22 and mobile than when youre older and have an established life. In essence, these decisions aren't just mine, but I have a very supportive partner and we've decided to make it work even if I have to move.
So, hopefully, SIU still feels the same about me this time around ;)

That's great to hear, best of luck this cycle :)

Few Questions to the current SIU students:
How's the grading system? Meaning, is it letter grades? Pass/Fail? Low pass, High pass, etc?

If a student is struggling with whatever subject matter, where/to whom can they go for help?

How's the atmosphere amongst students? Competitive? Clique-y?

Thanks in advance!:)

Few Questions to the current SIU students:
How's the grading system? Meaning, is it letter grades? Pass/Fail? Low pass, High pass, etc?

If a student is struggling with whatever subject matter, where/to whom can they go for help?

How's the atmosphere amongst students? Competitive? Clique-y?

Thanks in advance!:)

Pass/Fail. Technically Satisfactory, concerns, and Unsatisfactory. But no ranking or anything.

They can go to anyone from faculty or other students. Its pretty open and focused on education here.

No competition. People that try are quickly shut down by peers. It does no one any good. Not much of a clique in a group of 72. that said people do get into groups of friends but there isnt the animosity between them.

Hey guys!
Quick question.
I'm studying for my MCAT, and will take it sometimes in late August/early September 2013. I know SIUC's AMCAS deadline is November 15th. Would it be too late to apply for the Fall 2014? Do they keep any spots open for those who apply later in the season, or are the spots filled on first-come first-serve basis for all the applicants in June & July?

I've never taken the MCAT yet, so not sure what my score will be. Hoping for 30+.
I have 4.0 GPA from SIUC both for my undergrad and masters.
I've lived in Carbondale since 2005 (moved away for a year, but moved back), and at this time working full-time for So IL Healtcare (local system of hospitals). So Southern Illinois is pretty much my home, and now would like to go to SIU School of Medicine.

Last edited:
SIU's program favors early applications far less than many other schools. You should be fine.

The application process here is complicated. Read past threads and you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

The basics are that they numerically rank applicants on a list regardless of when they apply. They open up 24 spots each in December, February, and March. The top ranked applicants fill those spots. If an applicant turns down their acceptance and any point, the offer is extended to the next highest candidate.

So, as you can see, the class will not even be officially filled until March, and there is significant turnover thereafter.

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you Pasmal!!! That's great to hear!
So sounds like there's not much of a reason to hurry up and take the MCAT in August, instead of putting in 2-3 more solid weeks of studying before the MCAT and taking it in September, correct?

SIU's program favors early applications far less than many other schools. You should be fine.

The application process here is complicated. Read past threads and you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

The basics are that they numerically rank applicants on a list regardless of when they apply. They open up 24 spots each in December, February, and March. The top ranked applicants fill those spots. If an applicant turns down their acceptance and any point, the offer is extended to the next highest candidate.

So, as you can see, the class will not even be officially filled until March, and there is significant turnover thereafter.

Awesome, thank you Pasmal!!! That's great to hear!
So sounds like there's not much of a reason to hurry up and take the MCAT in August, instead of putting in 2-3 more solid weeks of studying before the MCAT and taking it in September, correct?

Interview spots fill up fast, so the earlier the better. That said, I didn't have my secondary in until mid September and I interviewed in early November. You know how much time you need, just make sure you're accounting for all he factors as you decide.

I got an email saying they received my verified AMCAS. What happens now? How long until I get the secondary?

Just received the secondary! Super excited!!

Yea me too :)

Now question: Is parental information necessary or important? What if I don't add that?
Also, who do I put down for premedical advisor/chair if I got my degree December 2012?

Yea me too :)

Now question: Is parental information necessary or important? What if I don't add that?
Also, who do I put down for premedical advisor/chair if I got my degree December 2012?
I don't think it would be a big deal. The only required information is yours it looks like. I'm not including a premed chair either simply because most I got my letters of rec independent of a premed committee

I received my secondary on Friday, the 12th, as well. How long until any of you plan on submitting it? It is a relatively shorter secondary application compared to others that I have received thus far.

SIU pre-screens their secondaries - almost everyone who gets one will be invited to interview if I remember correctly. Submit it asap

For those of you who have received the secondary, are there any essay prompts?

I have been on the schedule of receiving a secondary and submitting it a week later after editing it and sending it for others to read.

I received my secondary on Friday, the 12th, as well. How long until any of you plan on submitting it? It is a relatively shorter secondary application compared to others that I have received thus far.

I submitted the secondary yesterday and mailed in the signature form today. Hope to hear back from them soon!

Spoke to admissions yesterday and they said that emails to some applicants will be going out mid to late next week providing invitations to interview. :)

So if I got the "your application has been received" e-mail on the 12th and nothing since then...not looking too good?

So if I got the "your application has been received" e-mail on the 12th and nothing since then...not looking too good?

I wouldn't worry too much. It took about a week for them to get back to me, and that was at the beginning of the month, so now that the application cycle is really getting underway, they must be dealing with a higher number of applications. I bet you will hear back from them soon!

Hey everyone,

I am currently in the process of deciding what schools to apply to and am strongly considering SIU. I am originally from southern Illinois and am currently finishing my undergrad on the east coast. Stats: GPA 3.0, BCPM 3.4, MCAT 33S (10P/11V/12B). I have done undergrad research with publications as well as shadowed both family practice and ER physicians, along with other ECs. I would love to come back to the area if I have the opportunity to. I know the school screens so do you think I would be able to make that first cut, or in more general terms, would I have a shot if I applied here?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I am currently in the process of deciding what schools to apply to and am strongly considering SIU. I am originally from southern Illinois and am currently finishing my undergrad on the east coast. Stats: GPA 3.0, BCPM 3.4, MCAT 33S (10P/11V/12B). I have done undergrad research with publications as well as shadowed both family practice and ER physicians, along with other ECs. I would love to come back to the area if I have the opportunity to. I know the school screens so do you think I would be able to make that first cut, or in more general terms, would I have a shot if I applied here?

Thanks!

Yes. You would.

I wouldn't worry too much. It took about a week for them to get back to me, and that was at the beginning of the month, so now that the application cycle is really getting underway, they must be dealing with a higher number of applications. I bet you will hear back from them soon!

Hey, thanks. It's really nice to hear someone on SDN be so unconditionally encouraging with all the neuroticism and jadedness that gets bandied around on here. In all seriousness, I hope I end up with classmates like you

They received my signature form yesterday (hooray for tracking numbers!) and I got my II today! SO EXCITED!
Any current students wanna share words of wisdom concerning interviews?

I received my invitation to interview just a few minutes ago and have submitted the dates! Super excited, should be interviewing in the next few weeks!

Congrats to those that received interviews!!!!
I was wondering if admissions sends an email when they receive the signature form and money? I mailed those on monday and wanted to make sure they received them. Thank you

They did not send one to me. Truthfully I just called there to ask and made sure that they did.

Last edited:
Just received one as well!!! I emailed admissions asking if they got my stuff and they got back to me almost immediately. Good luck to everyone!!!!!

They received my signature form yesterday (hooray for tracking numbers!) and I got my II today! SO EXCITED!
Be normal, be genuine.

Don't over-rehearse answers. We are low stress and can see right through that and it doesn't leave a good impression.

Talk to the med student(s) you sit with at lunch. They have a lot of useful information but I was one of only two in our interview group of six who maintained a conversation with them.

Overall it's not as stressful as you think. I really enjoyed my interview, and the staff were all ridiculously nice and helpful.

Talk to the med student(s) you sit with at lunch. They have a lot of useful information but I was one of only two in our interview group of six who maintained a conversation with them.

Overall it's not as stressful as you think. I really enjoyed my interview, and the staff were all ridiculously nice and helpful.

Please do talk to us. We're fairly normal and it's usually the second years and most remember being on interviews still. Your guide can't tank your chances so ask whatever. Nothing worse for us than being there and having no one talk or ask questions. Ask the things you wouldn't ask faculty. Free time, social events, all sorts of things.