2013-2014 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please do talk to us. We're fairly normal and it's usually the second years and most remember being on interviews still. Your guide can't tank your chances so ask whatever. Nothing worse for us than being there and having no one talk or ask questions. Ask the things you wouldn't ask faculty. Free time, social events, all sorts of things.

No problem there! I find the students to know the ins and outs of everything which is uber helpful. With that said, my bf and I were thinking of making a get-away out of it... any recommendations on nice hotels and sights in Springfield?

Members don't see this ad.

No problem there! I find the students to know the ins and outs of everything which is uber helpful. With that said, my bf and I were thinking of making a get-away out of it... any recommendations on nice hotels and sights in Springfield?

The Lincoln sites are pretty unique to Springfield and well done. Especially the museum. When you come kind of dictates what there is to do. You should definitely hit up Darcy's or Dublin for a horseshoe.

The Lincoln sites are pretty unique to Springfield and well done. Especially the museum. When you come kind of dictates what there is to do. You should definitely hit up Darcy's or Dublin for a horseshoe.

I put in for Aug 26-29... thanks for the tips!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary questions? Anyone? Please! ����

According to the disclaimer on the SIU secondary you are not allowed to share information from the application.
Really?

Just look at last years thread, I doubt they changed, the school is still looking for the exact same type of applicant we were last year. And I'm not sure the questions are really a secret, its all about how you fit with the mission of the school....

do we just write the check to SIU School of Medicine?

also, when you guys submit did it crunch your essays together? I had them in individual paragraphs separated by a space and then when i submitted it showed me the essays and the spaces were all gone between paragraphs

do we just write the check to SIU School of Medicine?

also, when you guys submit did it crunch your essays together? I had them in individual paragraphs separated by a space and then when i submitted it showed me the essays and the spaces were all gone between paragraphs

Yes that is correct.

And mine crunched the paragraphs as well. I don't think it was a big deal to them.

So just for fun, I was looking at apartments near the Carbondale campus... so...
1. Can med students obtain single occupant dorms? (<<< I doubt this)
2. Any reasonable apartments around? I read some terrible reviews about a lot of places...:thumbdown:

PS-- Im older and engaged, so no roommates for me!

So just for fun, I was looking at apartments near the Carbondale campus... so...
2. Any reasonable apartments around? I read some terrible reviews about a lot of places...:thumbdown:

Aspen Court is really nice. They have one bedrooms there. The Reserves are really nice as well, and they are all furnished, but they have no 1 bedrooms there. The Pointe is great cause it is right by the bars. This is all based on hanging out at friends apartments, but the only place I have heard real complaints about is Lewis Park.

Aspen Court is really nice. They have one bedrooms there. The Reserves are really nice as well, and they are all furnished, but they have no 1 bedrooms there. The Pointe is great cause it is right by the bars. This is all based on hanging out at friends apartments, but the only place I have heard real complaints about is Lewis Park.

I agree with all of that, but aspen, reserves, and the pointe are the 3 most expensive in town. Regardless it is not going to be cheap getting a one person apartment.

I agree with all of that, but aspen, reserves, and the pointe are the 3 most expensive in town. Regardless it is not going to be cheap getting a one person apartment.

Fair point, but I think it's all about perspective... I went to school in Chicago and getting a place there -- even with roommates-- was ridiculous! So, these rates have way less sticker shock.

Fair point, but I think it's all about perspective... I went to school in Chicago and getting a place there -- even with roommates-- was ridiculous! So, these rates have way less sticker shock.

Sun valley and aspen are the two really common ones.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed. I grew up in the dale so I have never had an apartment there, thus I don't know much about pricing, but it's def cheaper than the 950 I'm paying in Evanston this year lol. If anyone has any questions about Carbondale, don't hesitate to ask!

Interview date confirmed and itinerary received! Im looking up my interviewers right now!:D

i mailed my forms on monday, does anyone know if they confirm whether or not they received it?

So looking for a little clarification here since I've heard mixed reviews... Is lunch provided with current students to allow opportunity to chat or do I need to bring my own lunch?
Also, is it possible to be the only one interviewing that day or do they typically do groups?
Finally, any recommendation on parking? Im staying in the downtown area, but I'd like to have a plan to park if I need to drive...

So looking for a little clarification here since I've heard mixed reviews... Is lunch provided with current students to allow opportunity to chat or do I need to bring my own lunch?
Also, is it possible to be the only one interviewing that day or do they typically do groups?
Finally, any recommendation on parking? Im staying in the downtown area, but I'd like to have a plan to park if I need to drive...

Lunch provided. Usually small groups sometimes its just one. You park here, we give you a parking pass.

I'm starting this year and I'm living in a one bedroom in walnut street apartments as are a few other people. They're small but got remodeled over the summer includes Internet, cable, and water and are very reasonably priced.

I haven't gotten a Secondary from SIU, got an application acknowledgement July 8th. Should I assume that it's not coming? :(

I haven't gotten a Secondary from SIU, got an application acknowledgement July 8th. Should I assume that it's not coming? :(

I would say no news is good news. They must have a ton of apps to get through so they may not have gotten to look at yours yet. I think give it a little time, and if you want to give them a call or email. They are super nice and really helpful. Good luck!!

I would say no news is good news. They must have a ton of apps to get through so they may not have gotten to look at yours yet. I think give it a little time, and if you want to give them a call or email. They are super nice and really helpful. Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice! I may give them a call if I don't hear anything within a couple of weeks.

Another MS1 here. Looks like there might be a few of us this year. Having just gone through the application cycle, I'm willing to answer any questions you guys have. Classes don't start for another week and a half, but in the future I'd also be willing to answer questions about Carbondale and first year stuff.

Another MS1 here. Looks like there might be a few of us this year. Having just gone through the application cycle, I'm willing to answer any questions you guys have. Classes don't start for another week and a half, but in the future I'd also be willing to answer questions about Carbondale and first year stuff.

Good, cause I can't keep doing this after this year! :)

I just received an email from SIU saying that I have been made a screeners alternate. This got me really worried...I applied to SIU as a school that I felt I had a genuine shot at getting into (32 MCAT, 3.6+ GPA in engineering field)

Do you guys think I may have a red flag somewhere in my application that I do not know about? Or could it be because I am from northern Illinois? I've heard they are pretty selective about where you are from.

Not a good start to the application season with this being my first response from a school...:scared:

I just received an email from SIU saying that I have been made a screeners alternate. This got me really worried...I applied to SIU as a school that I felt I had a genuine shot at getting into (32 MCAT, 3.6+ GPA in engineering field)

Do you guys think I may have a red flag somewhere in my application that I do not know about? Or could it be because I am from northern Illinois? I've heard they are pretty selective about where you are from.

Not a good start to the application season with this being my first response from a school...:scared:

Was this before or after completing a secondary? Either way, it's pretty much a "better luck next year" kind of decision. If it was before the secondary, the red flag was more than likely that you're not from the central/southern part of the state. If you received the decision after the secondary, there's probably something else that turned them off. It's not unheard of for students from northern IL to be accepted, it's just not very common. If you apply again next year, make sure you stress how much you want to play a part in the downstate communities. That's the school's mission, in a nutshell.

As far as the rest of your applications go, I wouldn't be too worried. It's early in the year and you have some solid stats. Good luck!

Hmm, I didnt realize they assigned alternate statuses so early on...

I guess it depends on how the rest of your application looks...
I know they're big on central and southern IL ties:
http://www.siumed.edu/cgi-bin/search...er+city&wm=wrd
Under interview selection:
"Area of residence, with preference given to central and southern Illinois residents and those from rural, inner-city or disadvantaged backgrounds "

Furthermore, they may put a lot of emphasis on community service and clinical volunteering. At this point, it may not hurt to schedule an appt with an advisor and just ask.

But ultimately, it cant rain all the time! Your stats seem pretty competitive for other allopathic and osteopathic schools :)

Was this before or after completing a secondary? Either way, it's pretty much a "better luck next year" kind of decision. If it was before the secondary, the red flag was more than likely that you're not from the central/southern part of the state. If you received the decision after the secondary, there's probably something else that turned them off. It's not unheard of for students from northern IL to be accepted, it's just not very common. If you apply again next year, make sure you stress how much you want to play a part in the downstate communities. That's the school's mission, in a nutshell.

As far as the rest of your applications go, I wouldn't be too worried. It's early in the year and you have some solid stats. Good luck!
It was before completing the secondary. I kind of figured they were telling me they won't be accepting me this year...A shame since I'm completing my undergrad in southern/central Illinois and it would have been close!

But thanks for confirming that they are selective towards the rural crowd. That makes me feel somewhat better about the decision. I will keep my head up until the next school replies!

does anyone know if the interviews are closed or open file?

thanks, caesar. will we be made aware which one is open and closed before going into the interview?

It's not explicitly stated on your interview agenda which one is open or closed, but one interview is with a member of the admissions committee and is open file. The other interview is with a faculty member usually and is closed file. Once you get going in the interview, it's pretty obvious which is which.

I received the invitation to complete the secondary within a couple hours of receiving the application acknowledgement.

Hey y'all, so my boss knows Springfield pretty well and suggested I try a "Horeshoe"...? from Norb Andy's or Darcy's Pint. What's the word on this sandwich?

Also, Ill be there Sunday afternoon (the 25th) and just checking out the city, so if anyone is in town, Id love to grab a beer and just chat about the school and such (off the record, of course) :D

Thoughts?

I usually prefer D'Arcy's, but I was there the other day and it wasn't as good as it used to be. I'd say check out Dublin Pub. I've never had Norb Andy's.

Aaaah. It must be that I'm not from rural Illinois. I received the "Screeners Alternate" e-mail a couple days ago.

I got an interview invitation from SIU today!! My first! I am surprised to hear back so soon though, I just sent my secondary and check on Monday. Did other people hear back so quickly? Any word on if there are student hosts?

I got an interview invitation from SIU today!! My first! I am surprised to hear back so soon though, I just sent my secondary and check on Monday. Did other people hear back so quickly? Any word on if there are student hosts?

Mine turnover was about two days. I was surprised how fast it was too. Makes you wonder how much they look at the secondaries.

I don't think there are student hosts, or at least they didn't mention it in any of the interview stuff they emailed out. I just ended up booking a room at a hotel nearby (http://www.thestatehouseinn.com).

Thanks for the info! Loving the cheap hotel! I'm so stoked for this interview!

Current students: do you have many classmates from the quad cities area? I think my hometown fits the profile SIU is looking for ( small, rural, definitely not a Chicago suburb ) but I am barely south of I-80 and its not really considered central Illinois (Western Illinois, rather).

Current students: do you have many classmates from the quad cities area? I think my hometown fits the profile SIU is looking for ( small, rural, definitely not a Chicago suburb ) but I am barely south of I-80 and its not really considered central Illinois (Western Illinois, rather).

Yes. At least one in every class I can think of.

There are at least 5 in our class from the QCA.

I got an interview invite July 30 and filled out the form in that email. I then got a confirmation email on July 31. Since then I haven't heard anything. Is that normal or should I give them a call?

I got an interview invite July 30 and filled out the form in that email. I then got a confirmation email on July 31. Since then I haven't heard anything. Is that normal or should I give them a call?

Depends what dates you selected. The email I received said they would send a confirmation email with the interview schedule approximately 3 weeks before your interview day. If you are inside that 3 week window, it may be a good idea to give them a ring.

Hey ya'll, I interviewed yesterday (first group of the season) woot woot!

So if you've got Q's, Im happy to add to the input of the current students :)

PS-- dont stay at Mansion View Inn & Suites! It was close, but it was gross :/:thumbdown: