2013-2014 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was notified of my acceptance yesterday - really excited to be going to Carbondale in the Fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a lot of interaction between first year med students and the other majors of SIU?

As far as the campus is concerned, you'd be at the top of the food chain but wont have too much mingling with the others. Most of us tend to hang out in our building. There are PA students and Nurses on dif floors. We take the top 2 floors of Lindegren. Literally next door to Lindy is Morris Library. This library is pretty amazing. A lot of us used that building for studying too. The only other building I spent time in was the student center, a massive building with a few fast food places and bookstores.

Like Pasmal said, we had an event with the Law students (more like the Lawl students, jk!), but nothing more than that one meeting.

There were also a lot of intermural teams that pitted our team versus other organizations...that was fun for some.

Once you enter med school, you're going to be antisocial pretty much to anyone besides other medical students.

Reactions: 1 users
In regards to laptop usage, I was hoping to be able to get a tablet (one that attaches to a keyboard) for class instead of a regular laptop. They're smaller, lighter, and easier to carry around and basically do everything but play CDs. I did notice that the laptop requirements specify a CD/DVD slot, however. (I do already have a decent laptop, but its four years old and is starting to act up; display flickers off every now and then. Plus, I prefer to keep school-related things on a separate device rather than one I have for personal use.) Would it be an issue to have a tablet vs a laptop?

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to laptop usage, I was hoping to be able to get a tablet (one that attaches to a keyboard) for class instead of a regular laptop. They're smaller, lighter, and easier to carry around and basically do everything but play CDs. I did notice that the laptop requirements specify a CD/DVD slot, however. (I do already have a decent laptop, but its four years old and is starting to act up; display flickers off every now and then. Plus, I prefer to keep school-related things on a separate device rather than one I have for personal use.) Would it be an issue to have a tablet vs a laptop?

No issue. I have a laptop, but honestly I'm envious of people who have tablets. For a lot of the lectures, they're able to just write notes on the slides whereas I have to type or print stuff out ahead. Tablets are also commonplace during clinical rotations. Just make sure that if you do buy one you can fit it into your white coat pocket.

The only thing you'd need a CD/DVD slot for is reviewing your clinical sessions (they record some of them and make you watch your interactions with the patients), but each tutor room has a computer so you shouldn't have a problem there.

Last edited:
Well it pains me to have done so, but I withdrew my application from SIU this morning. I will be attending Rush Medical College instead. Hopefully my spot will go to one of you still waiting.

Sorry to bump but I was really curious to know from those who got invites/acceptances last year if my 29/3.85 can land an interview? I'm from Central Illinois.

The published averages on SIU's website are about 3.67/29 if I remember correctly, so yes without knowing anything more about how those grades are distributed (URM status, geographic location, etc etc) you have a good shot. Anecdotal feedback is of limited use as the adcom may vote very differently on two similar candidates. If you just want to increase the n and get a feel for who gets in, well, the averages have already done that for you. My 0.02c is start a WAMC thread if you want to get more specific advice, otherwise just apply (or if you already have, good luck)!

MD Class of 2017

My score breakdown isn't ideal: 10, 8, 11. I'm thinking about retaking. If I retake and get my score back late September, would it be too late to update programs? I'm gonna go ahead and apply with the 29.