2013-2014 Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

OHSU is my top choice. My chances are probably low! But I would love to go back to Oregon. I attended HS, Comm. College and UO. But I now lively in NY.
Do you think this could increase my chances as an OOS?

My sister gave birth at OHSU and I was there a couple week ago, and imagined myself taking the tram everyday :)

Good Luck everyone!

OHSU is my top choice. My chances are probably low! But I would love to go back to Oregon. I attended HS, Comm. College and UO. But I now lively in NY.
Do you think this could increase my chances as an OOS?

My sister gave birth at OHSU and I was there a couple week ago, and imagined myself taking the tram everyday :)

Good Luck everyone!

Yes, having Oregon heritage helps you a ton, because If you don't fall into one of these categories, you won't get an interview:

• Residents of Oregon.
  • Non-resident applicants with Oregon Heritage. The School of Medicine uses the Oregon Heritage Policy for student selection, but it is not used as a basis for determining residency, and therefore the tuition a student pays. Oregon Heritage is defined as 1) A student with one or both parents residing in Oregon at the time of application, 2) A student who graduated from high school in Oregon with at least two years at a high school in Oregon, or 3) A student who graduated from an institution of higher education in Oregon with at least two years at an institution in Oregon.
  • WICHE-Certified residents of Montana and Wyoming.
  • Applicants applying to the M.D./Ph.D. and M.D./M.P.H. Combined Degree Programs.
  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2013 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.65 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most-recent eligible MCAT.
  • The School of Medicine Admissions Committee fully recognizes the importance of diversity in its student body and in the physician workforce in providing for effective delivery of health care. Accordingly, the OHSU School of Medicine strongly encourages applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and from persons from groups underrepresented in medicine.

Also, the tram gets old after a few rides. It's crowded in the morning, crowded around lunch, and crowded again around 5:00. With the opening of the new Life Science building, I personally would recommend anyone accepted this cycle live down towards the waterfront instead of up on the hill. The Emory is a new apartment building opening right next to the Center for Health & Healing and the Life Science Building.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, having Oregon heritage helps you a ton, because If you don't fall into one of these categories, you won't get an interview:

• Residents of Oregon.
  • Non-resident applicants with Oregon Heritage. The School of Medicine uses the Oregon Heritage Policy for student selection, but it is not used as a basis for determining residency, and therefore the tuition a student pays. Oregon Heritage is defined as 1) A student with one or both parents residing in Oregon at the time of application, 2) A student who graduated from high school in Oregon with at least two years at a high school in Oregon, or 3) A student who graduated from an institution of higher education in Oregon with at least two years at an institution in Oregon.
  • Applicants applying to the M.D./Ph.D. and M.D./M.P.H. Combined Degree Programs.
  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2013 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.65 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most-recent eligible MCAT.
  • The School of Medicine Admissions Committee fully recognizes the importance of diversity in its student body and in the physician workforce in providing for effective delivery of health care. Accordingly, the OHSU School of Medicine strongly encourages applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and from persons from groups underrepresented in medicine.

Also, the tram gets old after a few rides. It's crowded in the morning, crowded around lunch, and crowded again around 5:00. With the opening of the new Life Science building, I personally would recommend anyone accepted this cycle live down towards the waterfront instead of up on the hill. The Emory is a new apartment building opening right next to the Center for Health & Healing and the Life Science Building.

Thanks! I will make a note of the Emory building!

• Residents of Oregon.

Thank you for the info! So my mother lives in OR does this mean I will get priority when compared to other oos applicants who don't meet any of the criteria?

Those that don't meet a mission based group will probably NOT get considered at all.

Last cycle there were over 5000 primaries, 3000 secondaries, only just over 500 interviews for about 140 seats. There are enough mission based applicants that they don't need to look beyond those groups to fill all the interview slots.

I am an incoming MS1. The application cycle is still fresh in my head. For a good indication of how this year will pan out, go look at the thread from last year.

Good luck. I may check this thread every now and then to answer questions.

dsoz

• Residents of Oregon.

OHSU is my top choice school, although I'm OOS (California resident).
I'm a first generation college student, non-traditional, 3.7 cGPA/3.65 sGPA (dunno what my AMCAS numbers will be), 37 MCAT, tons of clinical experience but no research.
I am technically over their threshold for "superior achievements in academics" though not overwhelmingly so.
I went to school and lived in the Pac NW for more than a decade. It wasn't Oregon, but a University of Washington feeder state. I would love nothing more than to move back to the Pac NW and, if accepted to medical school, practice there. Since I'm now a California resident I can't apply to UW and OHSU is my best shot at returning.
Do I stand a chance? Would it help to send them an LOI?

[*]Non-resident applicants with Oregon Heritage. The School of Medicine uses the Oregon Heritage Policy for student selection, but it is not used as a basis for determining residency, and therefore the tuition a student pays. Oregon Heritage is defined as 1) A student with one or both parents residing in Oregon at the time of application, 2) A student who graduated from high school in Oregon with at least two years at a high school in Oregon, or 3) A student who graduated from an institution of higher education in Oregon with at least two years at an institution in Oregon.

I don't have the best GPA/MCAT but I have deep ties with OR (even if they don't technically count under the formal rules), spent a year doing research at OHSU during undergraduate, and am applying MD/PhD. Here's to hoping I have some luck on my side!

Ah shucks, I guess I'll get pre-screened out. OOS: 3.67 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 29 mcat

To TheLadyVanishes: there are several in the incoming class that are from California. There are 3-4 just from the Bay Area. They are planning on getting together this summer before moving up. They are talking about it on the FB page. Being from Cali does not hurt your chances, as long as you have the "exceptional academic" category.

I don't have the best GPA/MCAT but I have deep ties with OR (even if they don't technically count under the formal rules), spent a year doing research at OHSU during undergraduate, and am applying MD/PhD. Here's to hoping I have some luck on my side!

Ilikeargyle: applying MD/PhD is even more competitive than just straight MD. This could be because MD/PhD program is fully funded. The good news is applying dual degree may get your foot in the door. There were at least two this year that I know about that applied MD/MPH, but were rejected from the MPH side, but were allowed to continue to interview for the MD. One was accepted (but going to attend elsewhere), and the other eventually rejected (also accepted elsewhere). The same may be true for the MD/PhD. Applying MD/PhD could be a good thing if it gets you in as a "mission based group"

Icevermin: I am so sorry. Likely you would not make the cut-off for OOS. I hope you have luck somewhere.

dsoz

Any other residents of OR applying? The MSR said last year had 420 residents apply and 202 of them were interviewed - that's almost a 50% chance of being interviewed just for being from there!

I'm applying as a resident! Beautiful school, best of luck to everybody. US News shows a 50% interview and a whopping 25% acceptance rate for in state!

Good luck to all those applying! I just finished my MS1 year here. Feel free to PM me with any questions about the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow these in-state figures give me hope. :) I'm also an OR resident applying to OHSU (my first choice school) but I haven't taken my MCAT yet.

I'm hoping they'll notice I've stayed in state to get my bachelor's and Master's degree, and hopefully my 3.8 graduate GPA will help override my 3.3 undergraduate GPA lol. I hope my July MCAT score will be awesome - I'm studying hard!!!

Good luck everyone! :nod:

When I submitted my primary app, AMCAS designated me as SES disadvantaged. I already posted a little about myself upthread - CA resident, formerly of a Univ of WA feeder state, Lizzy M of 73 (3.7/37). Do you think this could help me, as I could be in the academic achievement and diversity categories?

When I submitted my primary app, AMCAS designated me as SES disadvantaged. I already posted a little about myself upthread - CA resident, formerly of a Univ of WA feeder state, Lizzy M of 73 (3.7/37). Do you think this could help me, as I could be in the academic achievement and diversity categories?

Yes, you have a good shot. Write good secondary essays, interview well, and there is a high likelihood you will get an acceptance or a good number on the hold/wait-list line.

Your numbers will get you looked at, but your secondary and MMI interview will determine your position for the incoming class. The were several people with stats higher than mine that were put on hold/wait-listed when I was outright accepted in November.

They may change things for the incoming class, but I think that the cycle that just finished was assessed 20% on stats, 40% on the general MMI, and 40% on the individual interviewer's recommendation. It seemed that the individual interviewer was the only one in the MMI that had read my file. However, he knew my file well and asked some very direct questions about things that I wrote in my secondaries. This is the most important person to impress. He/she becomes your advocate in the committee.

Spend some quality time with your secondary essays. I would say they are just as important as your primaries. Make the sum total of the secondaries tell a story for you. Together the total can be greater than the parts. If you just write them as individual prompts you lose that strength. Think of each prompt as a facet on the same gem. Polish each one and the total will become more attractive. Look on last years thread to see the prompts. Hopefully they don't change any of them this year. Since they are doing a lot of curriculum revision there could be revision to the admissions procedure as well.

Again, luck to all of you. :luck:
dsoz

Last edited:
I can't find anything on OHSU's website specifically about the MD/MPH program admissions process. I'm OOS and do not meet criteria for "ties to the state" but am interested in MPH, so I do want to apply. I just don't know how ridiculous my chances would be without residency or ties in this dual program.

OR resident here, applying to OHSU because they have a beautiful campus and some of the best views in the Portland area. (Oh yeah, and the whole med school thing....)

GL to everyone.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:
WA resident and applying. I've only heard amazing things about this school. Good luck everyone!

Do I have a shot?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1008903

no ties to Oregon whatsover, CA resident. White and registered Native American. 3.62 sGPA, 3.73cGPA, 35P MCAT.

got all my EC bases covered, including 2 years teaching, but no long-term research experience.

Everything I've learned about this school so far... I hope I can get in!

Resident of northeastern state (no ties to OR), 3.75 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA, interested in MD/MPH. Worth applying?

WA resident and applying. I've only heard amazing things about this school. Good luck everyone!

I'm pretty sure WA residents get auto-screened out, so you might want to spend your money on a different school.
I haven't looked into this myself but my dad is an interviewer there and that's what he said.

Do I have a shot?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1008903

no ties to Oregon whatsover, CA resident. White and registered Native American. 3.62 sGPA, 3.73cGPA, 35P MCAT.

got all my EC bases covered, including 2 years teaching, but no long-term research experience.

Everything I've learned about this school so far... I hope I can get in!

Minority (NA) and solid stats. I would think you should get past the screening. Past that it will be your secondary essays (very long and tough essays) and your interview that will determine whether you get in.

Resident of northeastern state (no ties to OR), 3.75 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA, interested in MD/MPH. Worth applying?

Without an MCAT score it is hard to say. The MD/MPH program is tough to get into, but if you don't get the MPH part, they will still consider you for the MD part. This happened to at least two people in the thread from last year.

Hi all - has anyone received the secondary questions yet? I'd like to start writing those, as I'll likely be out of town later this month. Thanks!!

Hi all - has anyone received the secondary questions yet? I'd like to start writing those, as I'll likely be out of town later this month. Thanks!!

They are posted in the thread from last year. With any luck, they are the same prompts. They are some killer prompts, if they are the same. You are going to want to put some thought into them and edit like they are your primary PS. They are weighted heavily in the acceptance decision and they give the individual interviewer something to talk to you about. My interviewer knew my essays almost as well as I knew them.

Good luck.

dsoz

They are posted in the thread from last year. With any luck, they are the same prompts. They are some killer prompts, if they are the same. You are going to want to put some thought into them and edit like they are your primary PS. They are weighted heavily in the acceptance decision and they give the individual interviewer something to talk to you about. My interviewer knew my essays almost as well as I knew them.

Good luck.

dsoz

Wow, I felt like my interviewer had barely looked at my application, let alone my essays. :(
Maybe it was just a symptom of my poor interviewing skills.
But s/he kept flipping through the pages s/he had in front of him/her, and asked me questions that were clearly addressed in my application / update.

I really want to apply here, but I am not sure if it is worth it. I'm from Cali, and my stats are just under those listed. I am Native American and Hispanic though. Also listed as SES. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure WA residents get auto-screened out, so you might want to spend your money on a different school.
I haven't looked into this myself but my dad is an interviewer there and that's what he said.

I don't know if this was true before, but it definitely is not true now. I am a rising MS2 and I applied as a WA resident. There are quite a few WA residents in my class and only one of them is in a dual degree program. So as long as you meet the criteria for a mission-based group, you're fine. Good luck!

Just got the secondary! Same prompts as last year. I did not pre-write this secondary and am really kicking myself now. These questions are really challenging.

Just got the secondary as well! It says that they're gradually rolling them out and that I'm in the first batch, so don't worry if you haven't gotten it yet. :)

Have you started filling it out? If so, do you mind sharing how many activities you will be listing? I don't think I have 20 activities for the past 5 years. Also, not sure about listing future activities... Should I include the half marathon I am registered for?

Have you started filling it out? If so, do you mind sharing how many activities you will be listing? I don't think I have 20 activities for the past 5 years. Also, not sure about listing future activities... Should I include the half marathon I am registered for?

I would just put whatever you think is most important. If you don't add it now and its something that means a lot to you you could always mention it during an interview. But why not add it if you have space?

Another thread, another app cycle. Ho hum. :rolleyes:

Does anybody know if you can still get an interview/be accepted if you have met all the pre-reqs except for one? More specifically, only a few schools require biochem (Oregon being one of them) which I have not taken, but I would totally take it in the Spring of 2014 or the summer of 2014 if they asked me to...Thanks for the advice!

Does anybody know if you can still get an interview/be accepted if you have met all the pre-reqs except for one? More specifically, only a few schools require biochem (Oregon being one of them) which I have not taken, but I would totally take it in the Spring of 2014 or the summer of 2014 if they asked me to...Thanks for the advice!

Yea they will totally interview you as will most schools I believe. Acceptance will just be conditional on completed it prior to matriculation. I believe that is the case at most schools as well.

Yea they will totally interview you as will most schools I believe. Acceptance will just be conditional on completed it prior to matriculation. I believe that is the case at most schools as well.

This is totally the case, and I have yet to find a school where it isn't! I am a non trad so I am plucking the pre reqs off one at a time...

This is totally the case, and I have yet to find a school where it isn't! I am a non trad so I am plucking the pre reqs off one at a time...
Off the top of my head - so don't quote me on this - I seem to recall that USC is a stickler about wanting prereqs done before even submitting your application. They are, by far, an outlier. As you noted the vast majority of schools just want the classes done by the time of matriculation.

has anyone OOS received a secondary yet? I haven't yet! MCAT 35 GPA >3.9 This school is amazing hoping for some OOS love!

EDIT: 1 minute after posting it I saw a beautiful Oregon secondary in my email box!!

has anyone OOS received a secondary yet? I haven't yet! MCAT 35 GPA >3.9 This school is amazing hoping for some OOS love!

EDIT: 1 minute after posting it I saw a beautiful Oregon secondary in my email box!!

Hoping for one of those myself here soon. :) When were you verified?

Secondary received 3.76 GPA 34 MCAT California Resident here.

I'm worried this application cycle will be particularly competitive at OHSU due to the advent of Portlandia...