2008-2009 Columbia College of P&S Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician? (2475 char)

In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage? (760 char)

Please list collegiate honors,awards, and memberships in honorary societies (345 char)

About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year? (200)

What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)? (1100)
If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent. (1300)

If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here. Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this last year's secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm making individual threads for each school whenever I see a new secondary. Then, I'm also linking the actual prompt to the 2008-2009 secondary application thread that I made.

That way if you're on that thread, you can access all the prompts. And if you want to discuss a particular school's secondary, you can go to that school's thread.

Something to that effect...

I'm making individual threads for each school whenever I see a new secondary. Then, I'm also linking the actual prompt to the 2008-2009 secondary application thread that I made.

That way if you're on that thread, you can access all the prompts. And if you want to discuss a particular school's secondary, you can go to that school's thread.

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Will most of them be this straightforward/easy? Only one rather open-ended question (the first), I feel like I could finish this in a few hours.

:D

I can only do this for the 14 schools that I applied to, so I hope you guys will join my efforts so we end up with a comprehensive list of the other hundred something US allopathic schools.

G'luck on the Columbia secondary!

I'm having issues figuring out how to format the "list your ECs" or "list your paid jobs" type questions. I might consult with a premed advisor and/or e-mail the P&S admissions office, and I'll post if I find out anything helpful.

Wow. Intelligent (nice MDapps), generous, hardworking... are you single and attractive? Maybe I can put in a good word for you with Dean Frantz? :D

:D

I can only do this for the 14 schools that I applied to, so I hope you guys will join my efforts so we end up with a comprehensive list of the other hundred something US allopathic schools.

G'luck on the Columbia secondary!

I'm having issues figuring out how to format the "list your ECs" or "list your paid jobs" type questions. I might consult with a premed advisor and/or e-mail the P&S admissions office, and I'll post if I find out anything helpful.

Hey Shemarty,

Did you make separate accounts for each of the ApplyYourself secondary apps (Hopkins, Columbia...), or do you use the same account for each school?

I made separate accounts, but I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have...

Thanks! :)

Will most of them be this straightforward/easy? Only one rather open-ended question (the first), I feel like I could finish this in a few hours.

Most, probably. Duke's? No :(

I filled out the entire thing besides the 1st question. It's still not quite perfect, and I'm messing around with the formatting on the "please list your blahblahblah" questions.

I'm trying to buy myself more time to answer the open ended questions by filling out the "easy" stuff first :D

Did you make separate accounts for each of the ApplyYourself secondary apps (Hopkins, Columbia...), or do you use the same account for each school?

I think my login and password is the same at both schools. I have it auto-saved on my laptop so I don't have to type it out every time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't find an answer to this and any of the older threads about the Columbia secondary. Hopefully anyone else working on this or who has previously completed this secondary will have some answers.

I have completed my degree this year, but will be going back for another year of undergrad this September. Should I just click that I'm a senior in this coming year? The only other option would be graduate student...

Also, does anyone know what "years of coursework" refers to?

What are Columbia's LOR requirements? Anybody know?

Does anyone have an opinion on the last question? Is there a disadvantage to not completing it?

Also, what kinds of things would you include?

Does anyone have an opinion on the last question? Is there a disadvantage to not completing it?

You could try e-mailing the office to ask whether this question is optional?

Columbia LOR Requirements:

3 individuals familiar with your work.

At least 1 from a science professor. Otherwise, no specific requirements for the MD ONLY program.

If all the letters are arriving together in one packet, then there's no maximum number that you can send. You can include as many as you want together in the packet.

Last edited:
Haha shemarty, you're funny. Thanks a ton for these secondaries. Anyone know if these questions stay relatively the same over the years? Seems like they wouldn't change too much...

Also, is it odd not to have had an paid employment during college? I'm asking because I have never been a paid employee, just a volunteer.

It's optional. I did not answer it when I applied. Its mainly for anything that doesn't appear/fit in on your application. Such as explaining a particularly bad semester at school, additional majors, etc..

Thanks! Looks like it worked out for you :)

Well, I had a thread about this, but this seems like a better place to ask these questions...

I have completed my degree this year, but will be going back for another year of undergrad this September. Should I just click that I'm a senior in this coming year? The only other option would be graduate student...

Well, I had a thread about this, but this seems like a better place to ask these questions...

Best thing to do is e-mail/call the admissions office.

How are you doing extra undergrad after receiving your degree... would you be a non-degree seeking student? In that case, I don't think you're counted as a student. I'm in vocational school right now, and I can't remember what I put down... sorry.

Haha shemarty, you're funny. Thanks a ton for these secondaries. Anyone know if these questions stay relatively the same over the years? Seems like they wouldn't change too much...

Also, is it odd not to have had an paid employment during college? I'm asking because I have never been a paid employee, just a volunteer.

This year's app is the exact same as last year's.

It's not that odd.

do you guys know how many lor we can send...i.e..in addition to the minimum...?

hey.. so i am starting to work on the secondary and really not sure what to do about #1. are they asking us to tell them that we want to help people? lol..
seriously though, any thoughts about question 1?

Have you guys started receiving secondaries already?

Best thing to do is e-mail/call the admissions office.

How are you doing extra undergrad after receiving your degree... would you be a non-degree seeking student? In that case, I don't think you're counted as a student. I'm in vocational school right now, and I can't remember what I put down... sorry.

Yeah, for next year I would be in "science: non-degree". I don't know why I wouldn't be considered a student. I'm doing this instead of a grad program because of requirements that Canadian schools I'm applying to have....they don't take grad GPA into consideration at all, so I'm doing this extra year to bump up my GPA.

do you guys know how many lor we can send...i.e..in addition to the minimum...?

I'm still waiting to hear back from their office about this. I might call them today if I don't get an e-mail response soon.

Have you guys started receiving secondaries already?

Columbia (Hopkins and Wash U) secondary app is already posted online. You just go to the website, sign up, and fill it out. They don't screen.

I put "4" because I have 4 years of college coursework. I'm not 100% sure that this is what they're asking, though.

For the last question, do we just leave it blank if we are not taking a year off?

For the last question, do we just leave it blank if we are not taking a year off?

Yea, I'm just putting N/A if there's a question on any secondary that doesn't apply to me.

I put "4" because I have 4 years of college coursework. I'm not 100% sure that this is what they're asking, though.

I was thinking the same thing. It most likely refers to years of undergrad coursework.

I was thinking the same thing. It most likely refers to years of undergrad coursework.

i put 3 because i thought they were asking how many years of coursework i have completed already

hey.. so i am starting to work on the secondary and really not sure what to do about #1. are they asking us to tell them that we want to help people? lol..
seriously though, any thoughts about question 1?

Hahaha. Sorta. Except, you have to try to separate yourself from the crowd.

It's similar to the question: "why do you want to go into medicine?"
What is the lamest but probably still the most common answer? "I like science, and I want to help people."
You have to spin your answer, so you don't sound like another pre-med drone.

I don't know if hearing what I wrote would actually help you. I think my ideas were actually pretty generic: teamwork, enjoy helping people...

Last edited:
bump, in case anyone has more questions and couldn't find this thread.

If we are having all our letters sent through Virtual Evals, do we need to list any names on the Letters of Recommendation page? I e-mailed the admissions office but haven't heard anything back yet.

On the login page of the secondary, it says you need an AMCAS ID. Do they mean an AAMC ID? Or are these two different things?

On the login page of the secondary, it says you need an AMCAS ID. Do they mean an AAMC ID? Or are these two different things?

The AMCAS ID # and the AAMC ID # are the same thing.

It's the same thing.

AMCAS ID is a more appropriate term.

If we are having all our letters sent through Virtual Evals, do we need to list any names on the Letters of Recommendation page? I e-mailed the admissions office but haven't heard anything back yet.

According to the person on the phone from the Columbia office:
"If they're coming as a packet, do not list the individual names. Write "packet" under the "Name of your advisor (ONLY IF THEY ARE SENDING A LETTER ON YOUR BEHALF)"

"I can have more than 3 letters in my packet?"

"That's correct"

According to the person on the phone from the Columbia office:
"If they're coming as a packet, do not list the individual names. Write "packet" under the "Name of your advisor (ONLY IF THEY ARE SENDING A LETTER ON YOUR BEHALF)"

"I can have more than 3 letters in my packet?"

"That's correct"

Thanks

"If your verbal score is between 13 and 15 please enter 15 in the space provided."
Any other school do this?

For the question that asks "what sort of work did you do (include summer employment)? Do they want a job description, or a list of jobs we've held?

For the question that asks "what sort of work did you do (include summer employment)? Do they want a job description, or a list of jobs we've held?

I listed them because I couldn't fit descriptions in the number of characters that they wanted

hey, for the second question when they ask to list EC's what do they count as extracurrics? dancing, research, tutoring, notebook grading, horseback riding, public health group ---- do all these count as EC's or should i not list tutoring and grading bc I got paid for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.