2009-2010 University of North Carolina (UNC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

Section G: Prompts (Applicants for the MD Program)

*Respond to each in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total).

Prompt 1: Choose one of your volunteer or service experiences and discuss your role of either leadership or support, and describe how it has contributed to your personal development.

Prompt 2: We are always striving to recruit a class of medical students who will be the future visionaries in the field of medicine. There are many paths of medicine that our students can aspire to. Please describe how you envision your contribution to the field of medicine fifteen years from now.

Prompt 3: Describe your most significant personal challenge and how it affected you, and what you learned from it.

Section H: Reapplicants (MD and/or MD/PhD Applicants)

Prompt 1: Explain why you have decided to reapply. Please respond in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total).

Prompt 2: Please list your responses for each category below in a bulleted format.

• Has there been a change in your experiences in the health care field?

• How have you served your community?

• List additional courses, grades, post-baccalaureate programs, and publications/research projects

• Explain other relevant changes
Section I: Early Decision Program Applicants (MD Program ONLY)

Please tell us why you have decided to apply for the Early Decision Program. Are there any special skills, characteristics, qualifications, or circumstances that make you especially qualified for this honor? Please respond in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total).

LOR Reqs

A letter from a pre-medical committee (preferably including the individual letters that are used in the summary) is highly desirable.

For students attending a school without a pre-medical committee, two letters of recommendation are required from professors who know you well and who have taught you in a formal classroom setting. One letter should be from a faculty member in your most recent major or degree-granting department and the other may be from any professor of your choice. An applicant may submit additional letters of recommendation, but the Committee prefers that you send no more than three (3) letters in total.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fellow UNC Applicants!

So I did some research on secondaries this morning and here is what I found:

UNC's secondary is available via email. There is a screen for applicants. Any in state student receiving a secondary will also have an interview. Out of state students receiving a secondary will be screened again before being offered an interview. More info can be found here. Just for reference, last year someone posted the secondary prompts on July 25th. Post whenever you hear anything. :)

Best of luck this year. :luck:

I can go ahead and warn you all, UNC is notoriously slow with everything. Good luck to all! Hope to see you in Fall, 2010.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm in-state and am trying to get my timeline straight. I'm hoping to get my amcas stuff done in the next two weeks but am still working on requesting LORS. When do I need to have the LORS in by? Am I right in thinking that I can get a secondary without LORS but then that I have to submit LORS prior to an interview? I'm just wondering if I need to get on this asap or whether I have some leeway. Any advice would be great!!
good luck everyone!

Hi all,

I'm in-state and am trying to get my timeline straight. I'm hoping to get my amcas stuff done in the next two weeks but am still working on requesting LORS. When do I need to have the LORS in by? Am I right in thinking that I can get a secondary without LORS but then that I have to submit LORS prior to an interview? I'm just wondering if I need to get on this asap or whether I have some leeway. Any advice would be great!!
good luck everyone!

unless they have changed the rule this year, you should get them in at the very latest one week post-interview. It's not the end of the world if you don't get the letters in by the time you interview as the interviewer looks more at what you've put on your app, but don't be a slacker!

Good luck everyone, just be patient with the office as already stated above. It sucks that people have to wait so long, but remember no news is good news for UNC.

EDIT: just to clarify, they DONT want you to send them until you get called for your interview.

Last edited:
unless they have changed the rule this year, you should get them in at the very latest one week post-interview. It's not the end of the world if you don't get the letters in by the time you interview as the interviewer looks more at what you've put on your app, but don't be a slacker!

Good luck everyone, just be patient with the office as already stated above. It sucks that people have to wait so long, but remember no news is good news for UNC.

EDIT: just to clarify, they DONT want you to send them until you get called for your interview.

This year you have to submit the LOR through AMCAS, right?

wow only ~3.4% OOS get interviews? I didn't realize UNC was so hard for OOS-ers?

For the EDP, their website says, "Provide the school with all required supplemental information by the stated deadline date (August 1 for those schools that participate in AMCAS); and your MCATS must be taken by June 18th." (http://www.med.unc.edu/admit/how-to-apply)

Does anyone know what they mean by supplemental information? Is it the same supplemental application that regular applicants receive, or something else?

For the EDP, their website says, "Provide the school with all required supplemental information by the stated deadline date (August 1 for those schools that participate in AMCAS); and your MCATS must be taken by June 18th." (http://www.med.unc.edu/admit/how-to-apply)

Does anyone know what they mean by supplemental information? Is it the same supplemental application that regular applicants receive, or something else?

supplemental info = secondary application and LORs. I'm sure you'll be getting info about it soon. I'd think it's the same but I'm not sure.

supplemental info = secondary application and LORs. I'm sure you'll be getting info about it soon. I'd think it's the same but I'm not sure.

Fantastic. I submitted my application today. I'm hoping it gets processed by AMCAS and sent to UNC quickly so that I can get the supplemental stuff in time to send it in before Aug 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty pumped about applying to UNC. I would love to stay in this beautiful state.

come on unc...i had called last week for something else and the lady mentioned they hadn't even started looking at apps yet..

I posted this in the what are my chances section under its own thread, but then I thought maybe it was too school-specific to get an answer. So here goes:

I am wondering about my chances at UNC. I am out of state, and I know their acceptance rate is dismal for OOS. Here are my stats:

3.88 sGPA
3.96 cGPA
33R MCAT, with a relatively even distribution
70 hrs. of hospital volunteering
50ish hrs. of shadowing with 2 different docs

I don't have any research, but I am nontrad and have 2 degrees, 1 in biology and 1 in French. I also speak 3 languages and served in the military for a while. Plus I have a compelling reason for applying here (my husband is getting transferred to NC for work).

PS. All this is actually true, I'm not just yanking anyone's chain. PLEASE HELP!

I posted this in the what are my chances section under its own thread, but then I thought maybe it was too school-specific to get an answer. So here goes:

I am wondering about my chances at UNC. I am out of state, and I know their acceptance rate is dismal for OOS. Here are my stats:

3.88 sGPA
3.96 cGPA

I don't have any research, but I am nontrad and have 2 degrees, 1 in biology and 1 in French. I also speak 3 languages and served in the military for a while. Plus I have a compelling reason for applying here (my husband is getting transferred to NC for work).

PS. All this is actually true, I'm not just yanking anyone's chain. PLEASE HELP!

Did you have a chance to mention on your AMCAS app that your husband is moving to NC? If not... and this is me - the guy with near 0 experience on this stuff - it might be a good idea to send a preemptive letter of intent...

anyone else get an email from UNC saying they've received your AMCAS?

Yep, but no automatic secondary (if they even offer them). I'm OOS here though.

No email for me. And everyone is screened before the secondary. For IS kids, secondary = interview. OOS kids go through a post-secondary screen too.

Edit: nvm, just got the email... twice.

Edit again: the link work for anyone?

I got the e-mail. FYI, the link in the e-mail is missing the last character.

http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/1dean/ome/admit/documents/PreliminaryAppLetter.pdf

Ditto. I sent them an email back letting them know the link's broken.

Background info (before people ask):
I'm OOS. AMCAS verified Jul 14th. Received my email 12:36pm today (Jul 20th).

Nothing fancy - just a "yea we got your application" email.

Also I think I saw somewhere that earliest interviews start in Sept and go through Feb. Might be from one of last year's posts.

Ditto. I sent them an email back letting them know the link's broken.

Background info (before people ask):
I'm OOS. AMCAS verified Jul 14th. Received my email 12:36pm today (Jul 20th).

Nothing fancy - just a "yea we got your application" email.

Also I think I saw somewhere that earliest interviews start in Sept and go through Feb. Might be from one of last year's posts.

That's what it says in the letter.

That's what it says in the letter.

I'm the smartest person on earth! :smack:

It's kinda sad how easily that flew over my head. It's one of my stupid days I guess.

I just got duplicate email from Eric Shuler about how they got my AMCAS application and will contact me later.

I think they are sending out a second email with the proper link now.

Did you have a chance to mention on your AMCAS app that your husband is moving to NC? If not... and this is me - the guy with near 0 experience on this stuff - it might be a good idea to send a preemptive letter of intent...

I couldn't edit my app for the most part because I had already submitted to schools here. I did get to call today and talk to the admissions office about changing residency to there, and they said it is possible, even in the middle of the cycle. So there is a chance that I will be reclassified as IS during the middle of the application process, provided that I can show proof of residence, etc. They were really friendly and pretty understanding about it too, so that made me feel better. Sent off the app to them today, so hopefully it shouldn't be too long, since I've been AMCAS verified since the middle of June. Just gotta wait for them to get it.

3.88 sGPA
3.96 cGPA

The language and military service is HUGE. I would be SURE they know your husband is going to be NC - send a letter and ask them to add it to your file.

Your app seems strong. The only thing that might be lower than the avg for OOS is your MCAT. But I don't think that will be detrimental since it is still a very strong score. Best of luck!

last year it seems they sent out secondaries (and therefore interviews to instaters) at the end of july..i hope they start as early this year..would love to go to chapel hill :xf:

last year it seems they sent out secondaries (and therefore interviews to instaters) at the end of july..i hope they start as early this year..would love to go to chapel hill :xf:

:thumbup:

haha I'd be down w/ this time line. :luck:

Your app seems strong. The only thing that might be lower than the avg for OOS is your MCAT. But I don't think that will be detrimental since it is still a very strong score. Best of luck!

You just made my day. :) I have been looking on SDN for people with similar profiles and where they applied and I was starting to get an inferiority complex. Hopefully we will know soon when the job starts, since I can apply for in state status as soon as we know (he is military, so that waives the 1 year requirement for IS).

got the secondary invite today (im oos) w00t

...although i gotta say i still dont think ill even get an interview let alone an acceptance......but still :)

Last edited:
got the secondary invite today (im oos) w00t

...although i gotta say i still dont think ill even get an interview let alone an acceptance......but still :)

Me too!!! I was super excited to get the OOS secondary. They'll probably reject me eventually (wake forest already has), but so far so good! :) congrats!

Congrats, guys. Are you MD/PhD applicants? Could you post the prompts?

Anybody in-state get a secondary? Hoping they will let us know one way or the other soon...

Anybody in-state get a secondary? Hoping they will let us know one way or the other soon...

I'm sure it just takes a little longer for in-state applicants to get secondaries, since those people will also get interviews. Just be patient. :)

Congrats, guys. Are you MD/PhD applicants? Could you post the prompts?

Sure thing, here are the prompts. The whole app is very straightforward, and fortunately the essays are pretty short! :D

Section G: Prompts (Applicants for the MD Program)

*Respond to each in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total).

.Prompt 1: Choose one of your volunteer or service experiences and discuss your role of either leadership or support, and describe how it has contributed to your personal development....
. .
.Prompt 2: We are always striving to recruit a class of medical students who will be the future visionaries in the field of medicine. There are many paths of medicine that our students can aspire to. Please describe how you envision your contribution to the field of medicine fifteen years from now..
.Prompt 3: Describe your most significant personal challenge and how it affected you, and what you learned from it....

Section H: Reapplicants (MD and/or MD/PhD Applicants)

.Prompt 1: Explain why you have decided to reapply. Please respond in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total)..
.Prompt 2: Please list your responses for each category below in a bulleted format..
. .

• .Has there been a change in your experiences in the health care field?.
. ...

• .How have you served your community?.
. ...

• .List additional courses, grades, post-baccalaureate programs, and publications/research projects.
. ...

• .Explain other relevant changes .
. .. .
. .
Section I: Early Decision Program Applicants (MD Program ONLY)..
.Please tell us why you have decided to apply for the Early Decision Program. Are there any special skills, characteristics, qualifications, or circumstances that make you especially qualified for this honor? Please respond in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total)..

Hey anxietypeaker and xcrunner01:

I am OOS too. Would you guys feel ok posting up your stats and when you were verifed, when they got your app, and when they sent you the secondary invite? If not, maybe you could PM me? I am just trying to gauge what chances I have of getting a secondary and when I could expect it. I sent out my primary a week ago and haven't heard anything yet, not even the "we got your shiz" email/letter...

ksmi has a flaw? :eek:

Guess we're in the same boat.

3.9/38 OOS, AMCAS verified 6/24, AMCAS received by UNC 7/20, secondary invite 7/24

Did you submit AMCAS a week ago, or is already verified and you just added UNC a week ago? If it's the former, you have a bit of a wait ahead of you. Just be patient! :)

Holy you-know-what! Ok, if 38 is the MCAT cutoff I am screwed! :p

I was verified way back in the middle of June and I just added UNC a week ago. But what you said corresponds with what I had heard from someone else, i.e. about a month turnaround time. Btw, are you MD only or MD/PhD?

Holy you-know-what! Ok, if 38 is the MCAT cutoff I am screwed! :p

I was verified way back in the middle of June and I just added UNC a week ago. But what you said corresponds with what I had heard from someone else, i.e. about a month turnaround time. Btw, are you MD only or MD/PhD?

im with you teddy bear, I also just added a week ago but was verified in Mid-June. Still nothing!

Anyone that is in-state get a secondary or email or something from UNC yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.