2009-2010 University of North Carolina (UNC) Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in-state but also MD-PhD. We maybe on two different time-lines. Got my secondary request last Friday (7/24).

And yes - the waiting game DOES blow! 😛
 
Last edited:
I submitted and was verified on June 2nd. UNC has been on my list since day 1. This waiting thing is zero fun.
Same here, but it's no worries. That's three people in the thread who have received secondaries, and at least two are MD/PhD applicants. Maybe anxietypeaker is applying for that too?
 
Has anyone in-state gotten any sort of email or confirmation or anything from UNC?? I want this secondary so badly and keep freaking out that I've been lost in the system somehow..
 
Has anyone in-state gotten any sort of email or confirmation or anything from UNC?? I want this secondary so badly and keep freaking out that I've been lost in the system somehow..

Sadly not... I keep checking my email!
 
Has anyone in-state gotten any sort of email or confirmation or anything from UNC?? I want this secondary so badly and keep freaking out that I've been lost in the system somehow..

well i think some of us including myself have gotten confirmation emails that they received our primaries...but no secondaries yet for me (in-state)
 
These guys should hurry up...I've heard from every other school but them. Vandy and Wake screen and they're giving people news!
 
Has anyone in-state gotten any sort of email or confirmation or anything from UNC?? I want this secondary so badly and keep freaking out that I've been lost in the system somehow..

Well, I'm not IS, but I haven't gotten ANYTHING from them, not even an email saying they have received the primary (I added 2 weeks ago, already verified before that). I guess it is just so frustrating because it isn't like AMCAS needs to print it out and send it by snail mail and then UNC needs to get it and type up a letter to send me by snail mail... Its all electronic! How hard is it to set up an automated email response that it has been received?!?!?!? Sorry, just pent up frustration seeping out...
 
Wake's first email gives you a password to get on their status-checker site, though. So right now Wake is doing everything in batches so their site doesn't crash with people flooding it.

UNC, on the other hand, has no excuse.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello out-of-state-ers, i called UNC and they basically told me that if your mcat isnt at least a 34 dont even bother applying, because they get tons of apps and 34 is usually the minimum "competitive" score.
 
hello out-of-state-ers, i called UNC and they basically told me that if your mcat isnt at least a 34 dont even bother applying, because they get tons of apps and 34 is usually the minimum "competitive" score.


WOW really?
 
i got a secondary while ago but I applied MSTP here. the possibility to watch duke lose 12-20 times in person during my lifetime is priceless
 
yeah i got the secondary too OOS, they say were supposed to mail in the campus safety questions and technical standards sheet C... anyone see those somewhere?
 
I'm in state, but I don't expect to hear anything until my new MCAT comes out.

I'm surprised by UNC's high OOS MCAT requirements, but for them it kind of makes sense. In general they are notoriously hard on OOSers, even for undergrad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any other OOSers gotten a supplementary invitation? I got the "We received your AMCAS materials" e-mail 7/20, still no word.

I thought it would be a few weeks before they sent out invites, but it seems like some people have gotten theirs already. How long do I wait before I start to get worried?
 
Any other OOSers gotten a supplementary invitation? I got the "We received your AMCAS materials" e-mail 7/20, still no word.

I thought it would be a few weeks before they sent out invites, but it seems like some people have gotten theirs already. How long do I wait before I start to get worried?

got one too same day as the other OOSers. verified 7/7
 
Alright I have spent 30 minutes writing these prompts and $68 to process an application that will probably get thrown in the trash bin! 😀

But let's stay optimistic
 
How would it look if I write my work place, phone number but say it they may not contact me at work? I have days off during a week and sometimes work overnight, I don't think they will reach me at work.

I'd just put your cell down for all 3 -- then they can contact you at any time.
 
Any instate students heard anything other than verification? I saw some IS students got secondaries in late August last year...not quite there yet...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SWEET - I just got the secondary; guess they're starting to distribute applications to in-state applicants!
 
I don't think it's possible the way they saved it. I just attached the picture to the email.

That's strange... I highlighted the text inside the picture frame, deleted it, and then went to > INSERT > PICTURE and chose my file... No problems there. But I'm using Word 2007, so maybe it's different??? :shrug:
 
whoo! in state supp received this afternoon 🙂

go heels

FYI- looks like they give secondaries+auto-interviews to 50% of IS applicants
...then, 28% of IS students that interviewed matriculated. If you take into account that not everyone who got accepted attended, you're looking at a >1/3 chance of acceptance if you are in-state and you receive a secondary (if my logic is correct...)


(interviews to only 3% of OS applicants (ouch!))
 
Last edited:
are we mailing or emailing our supp application? if you look at the instructions.doc it says to mail it in, but then on the homepage it says to email it...maybe we do both?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.