LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRod72

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when LECOM Bradenton will start interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

not sure, most schools start in sept. have you sent in your primaries yet? i just sent mine in two weeks ago.

Based on last year's thread , it looks like interviews started around September?

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone has received the secondary, can they post the questions so some of us can get a head start?

Thanks!

If anyone has received the secondary, can they post the questions so some of us can get a head start?

Thanks!

they are the same for lecom-e.

1. Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician.

2. How do you envision yourself practicing medicine in the future (beyond residency)?

Both responses should be limited to 1 page of text.

they are the same for lecom-e.

1. Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician.

2. How do you envision yourself practicing medicine in the future (beyond residency)?

Both responses should be limited to 1 page of text.

thanks, doxy!

I sent in my LECOM Bradenton secondary two weeks ago, but am still waiting for my LOR from my committee to get there. I've been wait :xf:listed there twice.... here's hoping third time is the charm!

I sent in my LECOM Bradenton secondary two weeks ago, but am still waiting for my LOR from my committee to get there. I've been wait :xf:listed there twice.... here's hoping third time is the charm!

Wishing you good luck :luck::luck::luck::luck:! How do you think your application will be different this year than the past two? Are you local?

Besides the fact that I live in B'ton, I'm totally psyched about their curriculum. Even if I lived across the country, I would have LECOM-B on the top of my list.

However, I've a year to go before I can apply...right now it is just hoping that those student that really want to go to LECOM-B get in!

In previous years I have been really late submitting my applications in January and Feb. So being early is an obvious difference. I've also had experience as a patient accounts manager for a small rural practice, so I have a good understanding of insurance billing and managing a practice, which may not be directly tied to medical school, but is tied to the profession of being a primary care physician in a rural area.

I've also gotten some great new letters of recommendation and re-written my essays to focus more on my educationally disadvantaged background. Other than that I'm also 26 which means that I'll add to the diversity of campus... really grasping at straws with that one, but everything helps. :xf:

First off, good luck to everybody. I start school at LECOM-B in a couple of weeks, and it was only a year ago I was filling out applications and stressing out about things.

I have a few things to take care of before I move to the greater Bradenton metropolitan area next week, but I'm working on a FAQ sort of deal for LECOM-B to add to this thread that might be useful to you guys. Hopefully I'll finish it by Friday, but we'll see how things turn out.

Once school starts, I don't expect to have much free time, but I'll check in on this thread from time-to-time to answer questions like digitlnoise and some other upperclassmen did while I was applying. It helped me a ton, and the least I can do is provide the same service for you guys.

Altruist Congrats on your acceptance! Thanks for being willing to fill us in! Good luck as school starts!

I submitted my secondary on 6/26--the same time as Erie--and my credit card was charged twice (for Erie and Bradenton), but I never received a confirmation e-mail.

I was wondering if anyone's status has moved from, "Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made."

to

"Your application is under review."

The "Required Letters and Credit" section for Bradenton shows that everything is in except for my supplemental.

How far along is everyone else with Bradenton?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone, i was wondering if a DO letter is mandatory for LECOM? i looked under their requirements and they don't mention that a DO letter is necessary, but I thought I heard somewhere that you did?

Good luck to all those applying this year to LECOM-B.

They usually start interviewing in September. A D.O. letter is required so if you do not have one, you should start asking for one.

Again, good luck to everyone.

does anyone know the # to admissions I've been looking for it but can only find an email.

ph 941.756.0690 ...found by googling LECOM-Bradenton, found in seconds

does anyone know the # to admissions I've been looking for it but can only find an email.

I was wondering the same thing because I may have to call to straighten out this supplemental issue..

September 2nd.

Source-Open house on the 7th of July.

Nice! Thanks for letting us know! Has anyone received an interview invite yet? This was the first secondary I submitted, but I still don't have my committee LOR.

I received a phone call from the admissions office today that was unrelated to the e-mail I sent in regards to my supplemental application's status.

The committee is reviewing my file and wanted to know whether or not I planned on taking more classes on my year off--I need Biochemistry, one more Behavioral Science, and Genetics for Michigan State.

Nice person on the other line.

Yay, I got an interview invite from them today. via phone call.im guessing a few ppl got an invite already, since people are saying they start interviewing 9/2. the earliest they offered me was 9/18.

Hi, I received a phone call this morning from LECOM-B (Heather called, she is very nice) for an interview on September 18th too. I am very happy and look forward to visiting this school:love:

Hi, I received a phone call this morning from LECOM-B (Heather called, she is very nice) for an interview on September 18th too. I am very happy and look forward to visiting this school:love:

How long has it been since both of your applications were under review? I was just wondering how long it typical takes before you hear from them. Thanks!!

How long has it been since both of your applications were under review? I was just wondering how long it typical takes before you hear from them. Thanks!!
Hi, I think it was nearly 3 weeks for me that my app was under review.

i submitted my secondary application last week, so it took them a week to get though my app and send me an interview.

Last edited:
What kind of stats, etc. do you have? Is LECOM-B a top choice for any of you?

i'm not a fan of problem based learning, since it is so different from traditional undergrad learning. but they said they will go over PBL during the interview, so i'll see.

Hey all! Just like Altruist, I'm a 1st year. I got lots of great advice here, and plan on helping out the "next generation" of students when I can. So feel free to PM me or post when you have questions.

During the interview day, you will sit in on a PBL session. It is about 2 hours, and will give you a good idea of how most of the learning happens here. You aren't expected (and probably shouldn't) say anything during the session. Just sit back and observe. Its a great learning method, as long as you can manage your time. Good luck and relax. This place is chill, its Florida after all.

for the people that got interviews, what were your stats, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

Good luck everyone!!

I'm currently a 3rd yr and fairly active on here so if other random questions pop up I'll try and help out. There are also some terrific 2nd years who are active on here as well and can answer questions ya'll may have.

Rather than wait until this is perfect, I'm going to put it up and edit it as needed. Keep in mind that I haven't actually started school at LECOM yet. If upperclassmen have corrections, PM me and I will gladly correct whatever I have wrong, or add whatever you think might be good to know. I hope this year's applicants find it useful info.

General Info:

First off, read the LECOM-Bradenton pages (38-39) in the AACOM College Information Book (CIB) at http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-CIB-complete.pdf
Contact info, admissions deadlines, etc. is on there. (Come to think of it, read the whole CIB. There's useful stuff throughout, and you probably shouldn't apply DO without having read it.) This FAQ's main purpose is to provide info you won't find in the CIB.

Tell me about LECOM-Bradenton, please. It's a branch campus of the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Erie, Pennsylvania. Despite being a branch campus, it is basically run independently of the "main campus." Admissions, for example, is completely separate from LECOM-Erie. LECOM-B exclusively uses the Problem-Based Learning (PBL) model of teaching. The first medical school class started at LECOM-B in 2003.

What's Tuition like? $27500 for out-of-state residents. $25,900 for in-state. (2009-2010)

Can I get the in-state price after first year? Nope. They go by your home address on your AACOMAS application, and that determines which tuition you're charged all 4 years. What's another $6400 out of $250k anyway?

What's the total cost of attendence? ~$57-59,000 per year is budgeted for 2009-2010, depending on state-residence. This is the maximum you are allowed to take out in loans, and would give you a check of $12-13,000 per semester for living expenses. You are certainly free to take out less.

Where do students live? In a variety of apartment complexes around near campus, as well as in rented houses and condos in the area. There is no school-owned student housing.

What is the campus like? The med school and the school of pharmacy pharmacy are contained in a single, very large, steel-and-glass building. EDIT: All facilities are in this one building, including laboratories and the library.

Is there a library? The library focuses on the required and supplemental texts for your classes (and, I assume, the school of pharmacy's classes), so the fiction section is a little sparse. (They can do an interlibrary loan with another academic library if you absolutely need a book they don't have.) However, there's plenty of room for people to study; just remember that you have to follow the dress code if you're there during business hours. If you want to kick around in jeans, you'll have to study at home or one of the local coffee shops until 5pm. For group study, the meeting rooms where PBL sessions are held can be used by students any time they're not being used for class.

Wait, there's a dress code? Yes. Men in dress pants, shirt, and tie; women in professional attire... (women seem to have a bit more leeway in this department, since their requirements aren't as concrete). This is in effect during business hours at the school, even for anatomy lab. OMM and some clinical exam labs are different, however.

Any other restrictions like this? No food or water in lecture halls or meeting rooms.

What's the dress code for the osteopathic manipulation instruction? You wear a LECOM t-shirt and shorts. Women wear a sports bra underneath, since you may be asked to remove your shirt while your partner palpates or attempts to adjust you. Don't let that scare you, though: "Nobody just stands around all day with a sports bra showing. Women wear them under their t-shirt or sweatshirt. Occasionally they take them off. You are requested to remove your t-shirts for some manuevers, but I've never seen someone "required" to remove them. A lot of people are self conscious about it at first, but after a while it's not really a big deal for most people. Note that you also come in OMM attire for some clinical exam labs." from http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5621157&postcount=5

What's the surrounding area like? Bradenton is south of Tampa on Florida's gulf coast. The school itself is in an upscale development called Lakewood Ranch that has a reputation (from what I've gathered) of having good schools and relatively safe neighborhoods.

Who should go to LECOM-B? Motivated students who can learn independently. PBL involves choosing learning topics with your group, and then filling in the details both through self-study (a lot of reading) and with your classmates' help.

What's this PBL business? The best guide to PBL I've found was posted by Richie Truxillo: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=410585 The way it looks to me is that you're guided to what's important through the cases, but you're given time to actually read your books and learn the material yourself. I'll let you know how close I am to being right once classes start.

Does PBL work? It seems to. Around 97% of LECOM-B students passed COMLEX Step I on the first try in 2007 and 2008 (from a handout given at my interview). The class of 2009 earned residencies in anesthesiology, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, and radiology, among others.

Secondary App:

What's the secondary app like? It is, I am told, identical to that of LECOM-Erie this year. (The questions are listed a couple posts above this one, so I won't bother linking to it.) They do not appear to screen prior to sending the secondary. If they do, it's cursory. And yes, you have to pay separate secondary app fees to Bradenton and to Erie if you apply to both LECOMs.

Interview:

When does LECOM-B start interviewing? September 2nd, apparently. The last interviews are in April, and yes, people do get acceptances even then.

When does LECOM-B start sending interview invites? July.

Can you get an interview invite before your secondary is complete? Yes. My app wasn't complete until after my interview. (I was missing a recommendation.)

Do I really need a recommendation from a DO? Yes, you do. They may invite you to interview without it, but they won't make a decision on your file until it's in their hands.

Is there any way around the DO recommendation requirement? No. Although... at my interview day, all of us with incomplete applications were told what we had missing. If it was the DO letter, and you didn't think you'd be able to have it in within a week otherwise, the admissions staff offered to introduce you to a DO on staff, and have you chat with him/her for a few minutes. If this DO liked you, they might write you the required recommendation. BEWARE, however, this concession was made for 2 of us out of ~12. Odds are against you if your DO letter is not in, and I suspect they would not offer this option if they felt people were taking advantage of it as a way around the DO letter requirement. I add this anecdote only to tell you the whole truth about applying to Bradenton. YMMV.

Can you get in if you get a recommendation from a LECOM staff DO the day of the interview? I couldn't tell you, I politely refused their offer. My DO recommender faxed his letter in a week after my interview, and I was accepted the next day. I haven't seen the girl who took advantage of their offer to ask if she got in... I will update this if I see her when classes start.

When do they start sending acceptances? Very soon after your interview, assuming you have all required letters and other info submitted. If I had had a complete file when I interviewed, I'd have had an answer within 2 days of my interview. But... looking back at old threads, they sometimes take a week or more, depending on when the admissions committee meets.

How do they let you know you got in? Usually by phone. You'll often get an email shortly after that. And, of course, you get a letter in the mail, but who can wait until then?

Is a deposit required to hold your place? Yes. For the bargain price of $1500, your place will be held. This cash will go toward your first semester's tuition if you attend. They follow AACOM's rules on deposits, which you can find on page 17 of the CIB linked to at the top of this post.

You may also want to read:

2007-2008 app thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=452615

2008-2009 app thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=525709

Last edited:
Rather than wait until this is perfect, I'm going to put it up and edit it as needed. Keep in mind that I haven't actually started school at LECOM yet. If upperclassmen have corrections, PM me and I will gladly correct whatever I have wrong, or add whatever you think might be good to know. I hope this year's applicants find it useful info.

General Info:

First off, read the LECOM-Bradenton pages (38-39) in the AACOM College Information Book (CIB) at http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-CIB-complete.pdf
Contact info, admissions deadlines, etc. is on there. (Come to think of it, read the whole CIB. There's useful stuff throughout, and you probably shouldn't apply DO without having read it.) This FAQ's main purpose is to provide info you won't find in the CIB.

Tell me about LECOM-Bradenton, please. It's a branch campus of the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Erie, Pennsylvania. Despite being a branch campus, it is basically run independently of the "main campus." Admissions, for example, is completely separate from LECOM-Erie. LECOM-B exclusively uses the Problem-Based Learning (PBL) model of teaching. The first medical school class started at LECOM-B in 2003.

What's Tuition like? $27500 for out-of-state residents. $25,900 for in-state. (2009-2010)

Can I get the in-state price after first year? Nope. They go by your home address on your AACOMAS application, and that determines which tuition you're charged all 4 years. What's another $6400 out of $250k anyway?

What's the total cost of attendence? ~$57-59,000 per year is budgeted for 2009-2010, depending on state-residence. This is the maximum you are allowed to take out in loans, and would give you a check of $12-13,000 per semester for living expenses. You are certainly free to take out less.

Where do students live? In a variety of apartment complexes around near campus, as well as in rented houses and condos in the area. There is no school-owned student housing.

What is the campus like? The med school and the school of pharmacy pharmacy are contained in a single, very large, steel-and-glass building.

Is there a dress code? Yes. Men in dress pants, shirt, and tie; women in professional attire... (women seem to have a bit more leeway in this department, since their requirements aren't as concrete). This is in effect during business hours at the school, even for anatomy lab. OMM and some clinical exam labs are different, however.

Any other restrictions like this? No food or water in lecture halls or meeting rooms.

What's the dress code for the Osteopathic manipulation instruction? You wear a LECOM t-shirt and shorts. Women wear a sports bra underneath, since you may be asked to remove your shirt while your partner palpates or attempts to adjust you. Don't let that scare you, though: "Nobody just stands around all day with a sports bra showing. Women wear them under their t-shirt or sweatshirt. Occasionally they take them off. You are requested to remove your t-shirts for some manuevers, but I've never seen someone "required" to remove them. A lot of people are self conscious about it at first, but after a while it's not really a big deal for most people. Note that you also come in OMM attire for some clinical exam labs." from http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5621157&postcount=5

What's the surrounding area like? Bradenton is south of Tampa on Florida's gulf coast. The school itself is in an upscale development called Lakewood Ranch that has a reputation (from what I've gathered) of having good schools and relatively safe neighborhoods.

Who should go to LECOM-B? Motivated students who can learn independently. PBL involves choosing learning topics with your group, and then filling in the details both through self-study (a lot of reading) and with your classmates' help.

What's this PBL business? The best guide to PBL I've found was posted by Richie Truxillo: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=410585 The way it looks to me is that you're guided to what's important through the cases, but you're given time to actually read your books and learn the material yourself. I'll let you know how close I am to being right once classes start.

Does PBL work? It seems to. Around 97% of LECOM-B students passed COMLEX Step I on the first try in 2007 and 2008 (from a handout given at the interview). The class of 2009 earned residencies in anesthesiology, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, and radiology, among others.

Secondary App:

What's the secondary app like? It is, I am told, identical to that of LECOM-Erie this year. (The questions are listed a couple posts above this one, so I won't bother linking to it.) They do not appear to screen prior to sending the secondary. If they do, it's cursory. And yes, you have to pay separate secondary app fees to Bradenton and to Erie if you apply to both LECOMs.

Interview:

When does LECOM-B start interviewing? September 2nd, apparently. The last interviews are in April, and yes, people do get acceptances even then.

When does LECOM-B start sending interview invites? July.

Can you get an interview invite before your secondary is complete? Yes. My app wasn't complete until after my interview. (I was missing a recommendation.)

Do I really need a recommendation from a DO? Yes, you do. They may invite you to interview without it, but they won't make a decision on your file until it's in their hands.

Is there any way around the DO recommendation requirement? No. Although... at my interview day, all of us with incomplete applications were told what we had missing. If it was the DO letter, and you didn't think you'd be able to have it in within a week otherwise, the admissions staff offered to introduce you to a DO on staff, and have you chat with him/her for a few minutes. If this DO liked you, they might write you the required recommendation. BEWARE, however, this concession was made for 2 of us out of ~12. Odds are against you if your DO letter is not in, and I suspect they would not offer this option if they felt people were taking advantage of it as a way around the DO letter requirement. I add this anecdote only to tell you the whole truth about applying to Bradenton. YMMV.

Can you get in if you get a recommendation from a LECOM staff DO the day of the interview? I couldn't tell you, I politely refused their offer. My DO recommender faxed his letter in a week after my interview, and I was accepted the next day. I haven't seen the girl who took advantage of their offer to ask if she got in... I will update this if I see her when classes start.

When do they start sending acceptances? Very soon after your interview, assuming you have all required letters and other info submitted. If I had had a complete file when I interviewed, I'd have had an answer within 2 days of my interview. But... looking back at old threads, they sometimes take a week or more, depending on when the admissions committee meets.

How do they let you know you got in? Usually by phone. You'll often get an email shortly after that. And, of course, you get a letter in the mail, but who can wait until then?

Is a deposit required to hold your place? Yes. For the bargain price of $1500, your place will be held. This cash will go toward your first semester's tuition if you attend. They follow AACOM's rules on deposits, which you can find on page 17 of the CIB linked to at the top of this post.

You may also want to read:

2007-2008 app thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=452615

2008-2009 app thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=525709

Where do students study? Is there a campus library? in the single building?

Got a call from LECOM-B on Friday for an interview. Unfortunately I was out of town and didn't get the message until yesterday evening!! Oh well, call them first thing Monday morning I guess. Congrats to everyone else who got an invite. Hopefully can get a spot on Sept. 18 and see you all there.

Where do students study? Is there a campus library? in the single building?

There is a library on campus that is open from around 8am-11pm or so (hours may vary a little, during exam weeks we go them to extend hours till midnight).

If they aren't being used you are also welcome to use the PBL rooms. Some people also study in the cafe/lounge since that's the only place where you can eat/drink.

If you're not a fan of studying at school there are a few starbucks around, the one on University blvd is open 24hrs, a locally owned coffee shop around the corner from school, and other places like Panera were fairly popular. During board review I think a few of us pretty much lived at Panera for a few weeks.

There is a library on campus that is open from around 8am-11pm or so (hours may vary a little, during exam weeks we go them to extend hours till midnight).

If they aren't being used you are also welcome to use the PBL rooms. Some people also study in the cafe/lounge since that's the only place where you can eat/drink.

If you're not a fan of studying at school there are a few starbucks around, the one on University blvd is open 24hrs, a locally owned coffee shop around the corner from school, and other places like Panera were fairly popular. During board review I think a few of us pretty much lived at Panera for a few weeks.

Oh thats good I need a 24 hour place I tend to study at least to 12-1 am for tests .. thankfully im not an all-nighter type :thumbup:

Damn, called today to schedule my interview because I got the message late Saturday and was told the lady who does the interview setup will be out all day!! Guess I have to call tommorrow. This is my first interview invite so I am REALLY anxious and want to get everything perfect!

Damn, called today to schedule my interview because I got the message late Saturday and was told the lady who does the interview setup will be out all day!! Guess I have to call tommorrow. This is my first interview invite so I am REALLY anxious and want to get everything perfect!

SAME HERE...hopefully she's in tomorrow!!!

Finally, I was finally able to confirm my interview for LECOM-Bradenton today. For everyone else that is interviewing there on September 18th I'll see you then!!!

Hi all, congrats on your interviews...hope it all works out for you!

I was curious about what kind of stats you have...GPA, MCAT?

Anyone?

Congrats to all those who got interviews..good luck!

I had question to those who completed the secondary:

I submitted mine a couple days back and I was wondering why nothing had shown up on the admission status through the LECOM portal..is that normal?

Congrats to all those who got interviews..good luck!

I had question to those who completed the secondary:

I submitted mine a couple days back and I was wondering why nothing had shown up on the admission status through the LECOM portal..is that normal?

I remember that it did take some time for any kind of status to show up on the portal. when you say "nothing" is showing up what exactly are you looking for? A confirmation that it was submitted and received?

Finally, I was finally able to confirm my interview for LECOM-Bradenton today. For everyone else that is interviewing there on September 18th I'll see you then!!!

See you there on the 18th!!

Add me to the list, too...Sept 18th interview!

Congrats to all of you who got interviews!!

I got placed for a re-review in late March..ugh..not too happy about that :(