LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here is an article that appeared recently in the local Sarasota paper. It should give you applicants some ideas about the school.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090831/ARTICLE/908311051

Also, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in and say I'm so incredibly happy that I decided on LECOM-B. I had 7 acceptances to pick from (MD/DO) and I wouldn't change a thing. The students here a little different (in a good way) from what you would see in a traditional med school. I think because we mostly do group problem based learning, the admission committee screens for students that work well with others. It makes for a pretty chill environment. It also doesn't hurt that on post exam days we goto the beach (siesta key: google it)

Just shows there is STILL a long way to go for DOs in some areas. The author of the article wrote it in a way that sounded like he got his info from Wikipedia. BUT...glad to see SOMETHING about DOs in the media.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else having an issue with the portal? They said my secondary was received but nothing has showed up as received in the portal. My letters were sent and delivered on 8/28 but still nothing. Just wanted to see if anyone else was having a problem before I called them. Thanks!

thrashers- im having similar issues with Erie...i might wait until tomorrow though to call. DOes anyone know if lecom takes biochem instead of orgo II?? thnks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just shows there is STILL a long way to go for DOs in some areas. The author of the article wrote it in a way that sounded like he got his info from Wikipedia. BUT...glad to see SOMETHING about DOs in the media.

Wasn't the worst article I've ever read, and I do respect the guy for actually talking to DO students and attendings. There was a few parts that were silly, but I've read muccch worse.

Wasn't the worst article I've ever read, and I do respect the guy for actually talking to DO students and attendings. There was a few parts that were silly, but I've read muccch worse.

Oh yes, I agree. I give HUGE credit for the media for taking the effort. Just didnt like to hear the old DO "issues" get rehashed that have been overcome now for like 40 years.

I am interviewing at Bradenton on Sept. 18. Does anyone know if any of the hotels listed in the attachment from admissions offer a shuttle service to/from airport and campus??

Thanks!!

I am interviewing at Bradenton on Sept. 18. Does anyone know if any of the hotels listed in the attachment from admissions offer a shuttle service to/from airport and campus??

Thanks!!

I'm not sure if any of the hotels have shuttle services. I highly doubt it though. I would strongly recommend coming up the day before and renting a car so you can check out the area. You can probably rent one for like $25 bucks a day and then you could see the beaches and some of the apartments in the area to get a feel of what it's like. Just driving from the hotel to the school you will miss out on A LOT of what the area has to offer.

I'm not sure if any of the hotels have shuttle services. I highly doubt it though. I would strongly recommend coming up the day before and renting a car so you can check out the area. You can probably rent one for like $25 bucks a day and then you could see the beaches and some of the apartments in the area to get a feel of what it's like. Just driving from the hotel to the school you will miss out on A LOT of what the area has to offer.

Ooops. Just noticed that supposedly the Hampton Inn has one. Have to check with them though. The thing is money is becoming tight, just want to make it easier.

The Hampton Inn that I booked had their shuttle guy call me a few days ago to see if I would be interested in hiring him for pick-up to and from the airport. Rob is contracted by the hotel and charges $40 one way--sounds steep, but I can't imagine a cab being much cheaper. He explained that the hotel has its own shuttle to take candidates to LECOM from the hotel.

The Hampton Inn that I booked had their shuttle guy call me a few days ago to see if I would be interested in hiring him for pick-up to and from the airport. Rob is contracted by the hotel and charges $40 one way--sounds steep, but I can't imagine a cab being much cheaper. He explained that the hotel has its own shuttle to take candidates to LECOM from the hotel.

Thanks. $40 is steep but since the Airport is 20min. away I am sure a cab wouldnt be much cheaper. Plus, I really dont want to rent a car.

The big thing is they have a shuttle to/from campus. That is nice. Guess I'll be booking this one.

Thanks. $40 is steep but since the Airport is 20min. away I am sure a cab wouldnt be much cheaper. Plus, I really dont want to rent a car.

The big thing is they have a shuttle to/from campus. That is nice. Guess I'll be booking this one.

Rob called me, so, if you need to contact him, use this number:

941-580-8779

Ummm.... is that his personal number? If so then I'd suggest NOT publishing it on a public forum unless for whatever reason he asked you to.

Go through the school if you need to get a hold of him.

thrashers- im having similar issues with Erie...i might wait until tomorrow though to call. DOes anyone know if lecom takes biochem instead of orgo II?? thnks

I may check with them tomorrow. It just seems weird. Why would they have my AACOMAS and not my MCAT scores or courses? Just seems odd.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wikipedia!!!! Ha ha!!!!! I agree!

If you are flying into the sarasota airport, again, you really should consider renting a car. Even if you have never done it before, all you have to do is take the escalator down at the airport and there are like 5-6 different car rental stations there. Pick up your car and you are ready to go. There are a whole bunch of hotels right along the main road there you could get for around $50/night. I would much rather pay $25 and be able to see more of the area and not have to depend on someone to pick me up (taxi or shuttle) and risk being late. Plus having to pay $80 to get there and back... doesnt make much sense to me.

If you are flying into the sarasota airport, again, you really should consider renting a car. Even if you have never done it before, all you have to do is take the escalator down at the airport and there are like 5-6 different car rental stations there. Pick up your car and you are ready to go. There are a whole bunch of hotels right along the main road there you could get for around $50/night. I would much rather pay $25 and be able to see more of the area and not have to depend on someone to pick me up (taxi or shuttle) and risk being late. Plus having to pay $80 to get there and back... doesnt make much sense to me.

Is there a way to rent a car before you're 25? I'm having this issue... I'm 19, and there seems to be no way for me to rent a car.

I think you may be out of luck unless you are at least 21 years old. Between 21-24 you can rent one, but they probably charge some kind of fee. But that is a good point as it may not even be possible.

This isnt the first time I've heard this $25/day thing. I've rented a car a number of times before and I never paid as low as $25/day. Just checked the websites of the 8 rental car dealers in the Sarasota Airport. The cheapest deal is through Budget Rent-a-Car and it is $40/day before taxes and fees for an economy car.

This isnt the first time I've heard this $25/day thing. I've rented a car a number of times before and I never paid as low as $25/day. Just checked the websites of the 8 rental car dealers in the Sarasota Airport. The cheapest deal is through Budget Rent-a-Car and it is $40/day before taxes and fees for an economy car.

Took the words out of my mouth.

If you have AAA, they can book one for you without any kind of deposit or prepayment and I got one for $22 a day and it is with Hertz or Enterprise (I dont remember)
Trying to book it directly with the rental company will prob cost about 40

Is there a way to rent a car before you're 25? I'm having this issue... I'm 19, and there seems to be no way for me to rent a car.

I'm sure you can find someone to go with you that is old enough to rent a car. If you mention that you are going to the Tampa area, it should be easy. You can even stand up on a chair at 3:00am in a waffle house and yell, "I'm going to Florida......and who is going with me?!". That should settle that problem!

I just picked random dates and hotwire found the cheapest at $30/day but budget had it for $27... but then you have taxes etc. I may have been a little off, so I stand corrected. I'm still glad I did it though when I went ;)

Do they start reviewing your file before the letters of rec come in? I sent in my supplemental yesterday and it already says my file is being reviewed... but my letters of rec shouldn't be there for another day or two. >.>

Take your mother with you. She can rent the car. She can go to the beach or shop while you interview.

I was really kidding but it might work. I live in Florida. You gotta be 21 to rent a car at most places. Under 25, there is a hefty surcharge; some places a hundred bucks.

Do they start reviewing your file before the letters of rec come in? I sent in my supplemental yesterday and it already says my file is being reviewed... but my letters of rec shouldn't be there for another day or two. >.>

At least in the past, people have received interview invites before their recommendations came in, so it seems they do review your supplemental app as soon as they receive it.

In my case, I didn't get my DO letter to them until after my interview.

Interview invite today for the 14th of October. How much and what conditions do they have for the deposit?

Take your mother with you. She can rent the car. She can go to the beach or shop while you interview.

I was really kidding but it might work. I live in Florida. You gotta be 21 to rent a car at most places. Under 25, there is a hefty surcharge; some places a hundred bucks.

There's coupon codes online somewhere where they waive that. It's not a few hundred bucks, it's like 10-30$ a day depending on which place. I used to have to rent all the time and never paid more than 30-something a day. Shop around.

Interview invite today for the 14th of October. How much and what conditions do they have for the deposit?

In the past, they've gone by the AACOMAS traffic guidelines, which is listed on p. 17 of AACOM's college info book:

"Colleges of osteopathic medicine may begin extending offers of admission at any time after the interview. Applicants will be requested to submit necessary matriculation documents, including a deposit, according to the following schedule:
• Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
• Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
• Those accepted between January 15 and June 14 will have 14 days.
• Those accepted after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit."​

Last year the deposit was $1500, and that's what they list in the CIB again this year. The deposit holds your place in the class so that if everything else checks out (ie your transcripts match up, you graduate with a bachelors degree, etc) you're guaranteed your spot. As far as I know, there are no refunds. Yeah, it's steep, but if you attend it's credited towards your tuition, which is to say you get it back with your first financial aid check.

FYI, the college information book is here: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-CIB-complete.pdf
There's a ton of useful info in there for all the osteo schools. Good luck to you.

Altruist,

I presume that you attend LECOM Bradenton. If so, is there a minimum MCAT score for admission? Is there a cut-off so to speak in the admission process?

In the past, they've gone by the AACOMAS traffic guidelines, which is listed on p. 17 of AACOM's college info book:

"Colleges of osteopathic medicine may begin extending offers of admission at any time after the interview. Applicants will be requested to submit necessary matriculation documents, including a deposit, according to the following schedule:
• Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
• Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
• Those accepted between January 15 and June 14 will have 14 days.
• Those accepted after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit."​

Last year the deposit was $1500, and that's what they list in the CIB again this year. The deposit holds your place in the class so that if everything else checks out (ie your transcripts match up, you graduate with a bachelors degree, etc) you're guaranteed your spot. As far as I know, there are no refunds. Yeah, it's steep, but if you attend it's credited towards your tuition, which is to say you get it back with your first financial aid check.

FYI, the college information book is here: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-CIB-complete.pdf
There's a ton of useful info in there for all the osteo schools. Good luck to you.

$1500 is steep for December. I wish it was 2 deadlines like NSU's.

Altruist,

I presume that you attend LECOM Bradenton. If so, is there a minimum MCAT score for admission? Is there a cut-off so to speak in the admission process?

Yes, I'm a first-year at Bradenton. There is no hard-and-fast minimum MCAT score, but of course the lower your score the lower the chance is of getting an interview, all other things being equal.

Quoting again from LECOM-B's page in the CIB:
"Additional Comments: Competitive applicants typically have an MCAT score of 25 or above."​

It's hard for me to judge where scores range because nobody cares what your score was once you start school so it's never come up in conversation. There's nothing in the papers I got when I interviewed about MCAT averages, so that's no help either. I have heard that the average for our current 2nd years was "around a 27," but I don't have any definite reference for that.

$1500 is steep for December. I wish it was 2 deadlines like NSU's.

I definitely don't condone LECOM for having such a high deposit, and doing it like NSU would be an improvement, but it's what we're stuck with at the private osteopathic schools. To me, the relatively low tuition and the awesome PBL program here won me over despite having to fork over the cash.

Wow. I can understand that final transcripts is all on you, but to wait until AFTER $1500 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit to make sure an application "checks out"....doesn't sound very honorable for a school.

Wow. I can understand that final transcripts is all on you, but to wait until AFTER $1500 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit to make sure an application "checks out"....doesn't sound very honorable for a school.

Every school that I'm familiar with has some kind of stipulation that you have to graduate with a bachelors before you can start medical school. Every school that I've looked into requires proof (in official transcript form) that this is the case. LECOM's behavior is the norm.

I believe they also look to make sure you have the required pre-requisites, but from what I remember, this is done when they look at your secondary application. I have no idea what they would do with your deposit if it turned out you didn't pass some pre-requisite and couldn't matriculate. I hope it's never come up.

Every school that I'm familiar with has some kind of stipulation that you have to graduate with a bachelors before you can start medical school. Every school that I've looked into requires proof (in official transcript form) that this is the case. LECOM's behavior is the norm.

I believe they also look to make sure you have the required pre-requisites, but from what I remember, this is done when they look at your secondary application. I have no idea what they would do with your deposit if it turned out you didn't pass some pre-requisite and couldn't matriculate. I hope it's never come up.

dont get me wrong. If you know you wont graduate, or if you will not have the pre-reqs to start med school, then it is your own fault to fork over the money when in the end you know you cant start school. I know you can be accepted without having completed the pre-reqs as long as they are done by the start of school. Also, if you havent completed the pre-reqs yet, the school usually notifes you of those problems in the acceptance letter. I graduated in 2004 so I dont have this problem!
Also, if you withheld info on the primary about your past and something disqualifying comes up on a background check, that is also the applicants fault as he was dishonest.

I was leaning more to general stuff but never mind. If there was anything about your app that they questioned I'm sure they would try to clear it up with you or whoever before they offered you the acceptance in the first place.

THANKS!!!!

$1,500 isn't so bad when you consider the new school to open in 2010, William Carey University in Misissippi. The deposit will be $3,000. When the Dean told me that I had to contain my surprise. That high number is designed to weed out the applicants who are not entirely serious about attending the school.

Still, there is a balance of considerations here. I wonder how many qualified applicants will pass on applying because of the $3,000 cost. I realize that whatever the deposit it is applied to your tuition.

Unfortunately... money should not be the indicated of "serious" or not... frankly... a good doctor is not made by the amount of money he had during application season...

I don't mind a high deposit... if they abided by the CIB and AACOMAS traffic guidelines.... as they initially quoted!!!! ugh!

So I thought I decided to take the year off and retake the MCAT and apply next year. But I really do not want to do that at all and am having second thoughts. I have a 9,8,4 O (21O) the 4 coming in Verbal! (Shoot me now). It is too late to take it now, plus I am not ready to anyway. The only weakness in my app is that verbal score. Both GPAs are about 3.6, tons of clinical, tons of research, and quite a bit of volunteering. Do you think I should take a chance and apply? Any advice on any schools that I could apply to? Bradenton would be my top choice...

How long was everyones secondary essays? Both of mine are around a page single space. Just trying to get to the point and not make the Adcoms read ridiculous length papers.

So I thought I decided to take the year off and retake the MCAT and apply next year. But I really do not want to do that at all and am having second thoughts. I have a 9,8,4 O (21O) the 4 coming in Verbal! (Shoot me now). It is too late to take it now, plus I am not ready to anyway. The only weakness in my app is that verbal score. Both GPAs are about 3.6, tons of clinical, tons of research, and quite a bit of volunteering. Do you think I should take a chance and apply? Any advice on any schools that I could apply to? Bradenton would be my top choice...

I would only apply to a couple schools if you really want to. I think that 4 is gonna be a pretty substantial road block to getting any acceptances though. A retake and early application may net you much better success. Best of luck to ya.

I think a 4 in verbal will pretty well kill your chances this year mainly because most schools have an unwritten cut off of a 6 in each subsection. Spending the time and money getting your application together this year will cost a lot more time and money to just buckle down and retake the test.

How long was everyones secondary essays? Both of mine are around a page single space. Just trying to get to the point and not make the Adcoms read ridiculous length papers.

Mine were about one page each, single-space.

Wow, I can't believe interviews are starting already! We (the first years) are all freaking out because we have our 3rd anatomy exam on monday, but I'm sure you'll see some of us walking around. When you come, you park in the back and enter from the back. You have to have an ID to swipe in so you should buzz for security to let you in. If you happen to follow someone inside, go to the right and let security know you are here. Remember to relax, it is a very chill day!

Got the call for an interview 10/23 :oops: My second interview this cycle....definitely one of my top choices!! Anyone else going that day?

one of mine was about 3/4 a page, the other was literally 3 sentences. interview invitation came shortly after submitting secondary.

one of mine was about 3/4 a page, the other was literally 3 sentences. interview invitation came shortly after submitting secondary.

Well I just got complete today so hopefully my interview invite is coming soon too :cool: