Pikeville SOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiraffeAddict

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you considering Pikeville.......discuss!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I made this thread yesterday under "PCSOM Discussion 2009-2010", silly pants.

But its ok we can use this one if you want ;)

Pikeville is one of my top choices. It looks like interviews werent sent out till october, but judging by how early things seem to be moving this year, maybe sooner??

I made this thread yesterday under "PCSOM Discussion 2009-2010", silly pants.

But its ok we can use this one if you want ;)

Pikeville is one of my top choices. It looks like interviews werent sent out till october, but judging by how early things seem to be moving this year, maybe sooner??

Haha, I know!! I found it like 30 seconds after making this one...Damn giraffe pants, bein' all silly, lowering my inhibition...

Anywhoo, Pikeville is also slowing climbing to the top of my list, to quote you almost directly. Although I'm from CT, something about the area and the school are very intriguing. I got their secondary yesterday and spoke to a very nice southern woman in the office about their weird LOR requirements. Is your file complete there (or anywhere for that matter) yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you talk to Angel Hamilton...shes one of the sweetest spoken admissions co-ordinator I have ever talked in my life...no joke......
my file is complete! but they dont start reviewing until september i think....so just waitingggggggggggg here.......
I m from NY!!!! Good Luck people!!!!

Haha, I know!! I found it like 30 seconds after making this one...Damn giraffe pants, bein' all silly, lowering my inhibition...

Anywhoo, Pikeville is also slowing climbing to the top of my list, to quote you almost directly. Although I'm from CT, something about the area and the school are very intriguing. I got their secondary yesterday and spoke to a very nice southern woman in the office about their weird LOR requirements. Is your file complete there (or anywhere for that matter) yet?

I am not complete yet, I sent in my application three days ago, but my MCAT does not come out till 8/4.

I actually just sent in my curriculum vitae and they said that would be fine instead of filling out most the secondary.

Did you guys do it by hand? It said you could by computer but I couldnt figure it out.

I am hoping to be complete the first week of August and (god willing) interview there the first day.

Yes, Angel is the sweet person and she is so helpful. I dunno how they'll take to an Indiana boy, but I am pretty close to the region and my parents live in a town < 900 people and I wrote about part of that in my statement of purpose.

Sweet! Finally people to talk to about Pikeville!

I'm hoping to be complete there about the same time, bcgans. I'm chugging away through my secondaries, but am stuck waiting for my committee LOR, which we be delivered by 8/31 "at the latest", or so they claim. UGGGG. When is the first day for interviewing?!

I dunno when the interviews start. I think I'll wait till I'm complete before I start bugging Angel about it. I guess I'll probably do secondaries and watch my savings dwindle till then! I'm sure we'll know more in August.

I need to start enjoying my summer!!!!!

Let me know if anyone hears anything. This is starting to get exciting!

I dunno when the interviews start. I think I'll wait till I'm complete before I start bugging Angel about it. I guess I'll probably do secondaries and watch my savings dwindle till then! I'm sure we'll know more in August.

I need to start enjoying my summer!!!!!

Let me know if anyone hears anything. This is starting to get exciting!

Do they e-mail you when you are complete? Or do you have to call and see? Thanks!!!

The initial email I received with the secondary said it takes 2-3 weeks to process the application. I guess last year (from what I have read) everyone got yellow cards in the mail saying they were complete. I guess I'll know more in August, when I start bugging the bejesus out of admissions :D

Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to find the most recent match list/s?!

PCSOM (Pikeville) 2005 Match List Unofficial list. Repeated items indicate multiple students at the same program.

FP, ETSU, Johnson City, TN
Internship. St. Anthony Hospital, Oklahoma City, OK
IM/EM, LSU Charity Med Ctr, New Orleans, LA
FP, UK (Hazard) Med Ctr, Hazard, KY
IM, Tripler Army Med Ctr, Honolulu, HI
FP, St. Joseph Med Ctr, South Bend, IN
FP, U. of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
OB/GYN, POH/St. Joseph Mercy, Pontiac, MI
FP, Eastern Maine Medical Center, Bangor, ME
Pediatrics, Cabell Huntington Hospital, Huntington, WV
Surgery, Garden City Hospital, Garden City, MI
Internship, Our Lady of Bellefonte, Ashland, KY
IM, Carraway Methodist Med Ctr, Birmingham, AL
Transitional year, UT Medical Ctr, Knoxville, TN
Transitional year, UT Medical Ctr, Knoxville, TN
FP, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Covington, KY
Anesthesiology, Des Peres Hospital, St. Louis, MO
FP, Palmetto Richland Hosp., Columbia, SC
IM, MUSC, Charleston, SC
IM, UT Medical Ctr, Knoxville, TN
FP, Northwest Arkansas AHEC, Fayetteville, AR
Pathology, U. of Mississippi Medical Ctr, Jackson, MS
FP, Deaconess Hospital, Evansville, IN
Surgery, Maricopa Med Ctr, Phoenix, AZ
Emergency Medicine, Pitt Co. Memorial Hosp., Greenville, NC
Pediatrics, U. of Maryland Med Ctr, Baltimore, MD
Pediatrics, Tulane U. Med Ctr, New Orleans, LA
Internship, St. Anthony Hospital, Oklahoma City, OK
Anesthesiology, VCU Health System, Richmond, VA
Neurosurgery, BroMenn Hospital/St. Joseph's Hospital, Bloomington, IL
Surgery, St. Joseph's Mercy of Macomb, Clinton Township, MI
FP/OMM, Botsford General Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI
FP, Our Lady of Bellefonte, Ashland, KY
Neurology, Grandview Hospital, Dayton, OH
Surgery, Grandview Hospital, Dayton, OH
ENT, Grandview Hospital, Dayton, OH
Internship, Doctors Hospital, Columbus, OH
Emergency Medicine, Doctors Hospital, Columbus, OH
Anesthesiology, Doctors Hospital, Columbus, OH
FP, Pikeville Med Ctr, Pikeville, KY
Internship, Pikeville Med Ctr, Pikeville, KY
Pediatrics, Akron General, Akron, OH
Internship, Norton Comm. Hospital, Norton, VA
IM, Norton Comm. Hospital, Norton, VA
IM, Norton Comm. Hospital, Norton, VA
FP, St. Johns Episcopal, Far Rockaway, NY
IM, Carilion Health System, Roanoke, VA
FP, Palmetto Richland Hosp., Columbia, SC

Here is 2008

Gen. Surgery Detroit, MI (Detroit Med Center System)
IM Knoxville, TN (U of Tenn.)
IM Washington, DC (Walter Reed Army Med)
IM Cincinnati, OH (Christ Hospital)
FM Tupelo, MS
Neurology University of Mississipi
Ob-Gyn Philadelphia, PA
EM-IM Westlake, OH (cleveland area)
IM Corinth, MS
Gen. Surgery Detroit, MI
IM Norton, VA
Family South Bend, IN (St. Joseph's)
NeuroSurgery Livingston, NJ
Trad Intern, Rad York, PA (Memorial Hospital)
IM Cinncinati, OH (U of Cincy)
EM East Lansing, MI (MSU)
Gen. Surgery Mobile, AL (U of S. AL)
IM Michigan (Henry Ford)
Trad Intern, PMR Amarillo, TX (Texas Tech U)
IM Joplin, MO
IM Lexington, KY (UK)
IM Louisville, KY (UofL)
IM Corinth, MS
Family Fort Wayne, IN
Med Peds Hershey, PA (Penn State)
Peds Lexington, KY (UK)
EM Warren, MI
Trad Intern, Anesthesia St. Peterburg, FL
Ob-Gyn Pontiac, MI
EM Jackson, MS (UMC)
Gen. Surgery Garden City, MI
IM Lansing, MI (Ingham Regional)
Ob-Gyn Philadelphia, PA
IM Cincinnati, OH (U of Cincy)
Gen. Surgery Farmington Hills, MI (Botsford)
Anesthesia Little Rock, AK (UAMS)
Gen. Surgery Kirksville, MO (Northeast Reg.)
IM Michigan (Henry Ford)
Ob-Gyn Pontiac, MI (SJMO)
Family Spartanburg, SC
EM Richmond, VA (Med College of VA/VCU)
Ob-Gyn Johnson City, TN (ETSU)
IM Norton, VA
Family Birmingham, AL (St. Vincent's)
Family Henderson, KY
IM Charleston, WV
EM Columbus, OH
Trad Intern, PMR Kalamazoo, MI (MSU @ Bronson Hospital)
EM Portsmouth, OH

Mucho thanks mr. gans!! I had found the '05 one, but not the '08. Interesting, a good number of people land spots in Michigan. Hrmmm.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind off having a writers block with my personal statement :(
any suggestions???
thanks

Here is 2008

Gen. Surgery Detroit, MI (Detroit Med Center System)
IM Knoxville, TN (U of Tenn.)
IM Washington, DC (Walter Reed Army Med)
IM Cincinnati, OH (Christ Hospital)
FM Tupelo, MS
Neurology University of Mississipi
Ob-Gyn Philadelphia, PA
EM-IM Westlake, OH (cleveland area)
IM Corinth, MS
Gen. Surgery Detroit, MI
IM Norton, VA
Family South Bend, IN (St. Joseph's)
NeuroSurgery Livingston, NJ
Trad Intern, Rad York, PA (Memorial Hospital)
EM East Lansing, MI (MSU)
Gen. Surgery Mobile, AL (U of S. AL)
IM Michigan (Henry Ford)
Trad Intern, PMR Amarillo, TX (Texas Tech U)
IM Joplin, MO
IM Lexington, KY (UK)
IM Louisville, KY (UofL)
IM Corinth, MS
Family Fort Wayne, IN
Med Peds Hershey, PA (Penn State)
Peds Lexington, KY (UK)
EM Warren, MI
Trad Intern, Anesthesia St. Peterburg, FL
Ob-Gyn Pontiac, MI
EM Jackson, MS (UMC)
Gen. Surgery Garden City, MI
IM Lansing, MI (Ingham Regional)
Ob-Gyn Philadelphia, PA
IM Cincinnati, OH (U of Cincy)
Gen. Surgery Farmington Hills, MI (Botsford)
Anesthesia Little Rock, AK (UAMS)
Gen. Surgery Kirksville, MO (Northeast Reg.)
IM Michigan (Henry Ford)
Ob-Gyn Pontiac, MI (SJMO)
Family Spartanburg, SC
EM Richmond, VA (Med College of VA/VCU)
Ob-Gyn Johnson City, TN (ETSU)
IM Norton, VA
Family Birmingham, AL (St. Vincent's)
Family Henderson, KY
IM Charleston, WV
EM Columbus, OH
Trad Intern, PMR Kalamazoo, MI (MSU @ Bronson Hospital)
EM Portsmouth, OH

Is that match official or is it put together by students?

Except for 1 neurosurg, that match isn't really impressive. Not one single ortho, ophtho, ENT, rad, or derm. Is it because students aren't competitive, PCSOM clinical rotations doesn't offer much electives (or at least not until residency applications are in), or are students simply loyal to the PCSOM mission?

I'm not trying to piss off any PCSOM lovers but it's just that most competitive students usually go for good lifestyle/good pay specialties

Hex-

I wrote about my parents living in small town, how I loved the culture, love being outdoors, how primary care was right for me. I also discussed Pikeville's mission and stuff like that. Came out to about one full page.

About the match list:

I pulled that off of a thread somewhere, I do not know if it was official or not. As far as lifestyle specialties, I really see myself in FM, EM, or maayyybe gen surg. So I really don't have a reason to care about ENT, Ortho, plastics, or derm.

If you want a better idea about their match lists Angel in admissions might be able to help. She is very good about responding.

hope this helps!

what kind of mcat does someone need to get into pikeville DO? i was looking at some older data it had pike at like 21-22 average, but i think it has gone up, thanks for any help.

bleedblue-

What year is that data from? I do not know their average now, but I think i remember hearing 23 from somewhere...

But I would like to know how long ago 21-22 was their average. Thanks.

bleedblue,

I saw that too, along with other sites (like Princeton Review) and saw roughly a 21-23 spread. Looks like around there.

Wishing everyone good luck! Apply EARLY and your chances are greatly increased! :)

I recently spoke to the Admissions Coordinator about admissions statistics (no nicer person exists in any admissions office anywhere). Last year's average MCAT for admitted students was 23. The lowest MCAT of an accepted student was an 18 from some unspecified previous year (not necessarily last year). Average science GPA was in the neighborhood of 3.4.

Interviews begin the first week of October. Good luck to everyone!

Thank you so much for that info! Makes me slightly less nervous about my MCAT score (which is released in 9 days). I just got my last letter of rec so aside from the MCAT score I will be complete at PCSOM. I wonder when they start scheduling interviews?

I'm glad there are a lot of people interested in PCSOM! I'm really excited!

I received an email saying I was complete at Pikeville today. They said they will contact about interviews but they give priority to Appalachian area students. I hope residency in a small southern Indiana town gives me a little bonus. :xf:

Time fore the waiting game...

bleedblue,

I saw that too, along with other sites (like Princeton Review) and saw roughly a 21-23 spread. Looks like around there.

The 21 average was from their inaugural year... they probably got a late start recruiting. I expect William Carey to be in a similar situation this year..

does anyone know what months pikeville does interviews? I know they interview in october, but is that it? and is it during one weekend?
Thanks

Would there be any reason to send in my secondary before I have the DO LOR? I'm having trouble finding someone with time and the ability to return a call.

I hear ya about the DO LOR! It took me a while to finally find one who I really got to know and could write a great letter.

I personally sent my secondary in two weeks ago, just sent them my LORs through Interfolio yesterday, and wont send them my MCAT score will next week when it gets released. Thats roughly 3-4 weeks between my first mail to them and my last. I just hate hanging on to stuff for a long time before sending it in, it feels like I accomplished something!

You can either send it in now or wait for the DO LOR. It really is personal preference.

Hey Guys, I was hoping to clear up some of the questions that are on the forum. First, The match list is from one year only. Actually the list is not really poor at all and most of the residencies that our students go into are usually their first choice. Our statistic for first choice residency was like 98% this year. People from Pikeville go into radiology, Derm, ENT ect. every year. I personally know a few graduates that are in these specialties. Actually, our ENT professor is a graduate of our school. It's true that our school is geared toward the primary care and not specialties but this is no way eliminates you from being competitive in specialties at all. Plus that match list is only a tiny sample of the hundreds of graduate students we have already put out. One thing that other schools don't have that Pikeville has is a network of graduates that students can utilize to help with getting into certain specialties. Newer schools and branch schools have very little network of graduates. Anyway, Interviews for class positions are usually on Fri, or Sat. The average MCAT is somewhere in the mid 20's now and some are as high as mid 30's but I have no clue what the lowest is. The MCAT is important but they look beyond that test and usually pick up the students that are capable of doing well on boards and making quality doctors. Good luck to everyone applying.

scdocusc,

I was wondering if I could pick your brain when it comes to Pikeville, as it is my top choice. Would you mind a PM? Thanks.

nah that's cool anytime.

Submitted my secondary.....they will send you an email when it is complete?

Theyll send you a snail mail yellow card.

I got an email saying I was complete, but like scdocusc said, last year they sent out yellow cards. I'll look for one and let you all know.

On the bright side, I got a 25 on my MCAT. Hopefully I'll be competitive!

Good luck everyone.

I just got the secondary today...whats with having to restate what on your aacomas application already? Seems unnecessary. Also, does anyone know how to type in pdf files. Maybe I just have the cheap version of adobe but I cannot write on it. Does anyone know how to get around this or possibly a free program that I could use to edit the pdf. I could handwrite it but my handwriting is not at all flattering.

From how I understood the essay, they want you to write specifically about why PCSOM, why rural, osteopathic medicine. I think the statement is "why do you believe you should be trained as a rural, osteopathic physician?" I talked about the small town my parents live in, why I fit with PCSOM, the DOs I shadowed, etc. My essay had nothing to do with my AACOMAS essay, but thats just how I did it.

I wound up handwritting the app and typing the essay, also skipped most the app and sent in a curriculum vitae.

Last year they started as early as in September

Just became complete for PCSOM! Waiting! ahh.
Congratulations on the complete application. Waiting is not fun. Ms. Angel Hamilton in admissions told me that invitations for interviews will go out the first week of September. Interviews begin in early October. Good luck to you.

Yea, looks like its wait time for us. I am also outside the region. It looks like about 50% of Pikeville is outside the region, so I would hope they would intersperse the interviews.

If someone from outside gets an interview invite please post it! Thanks and good luck everyone!

I would actually say that most of our school is either from western KY or out of state. There are a few from eastern KY but not too many. Interviews might start in October. I know they are already starting to process apps... ect. As a sidenote, we just got a brand new standardized patient program at school. It's a pretty big operation and will help you get early exposure to how to do exams. They grade you on how you do physicals and tell families their loved ones have passed. It really prepares you for rotations which is where you need to impress preceptors to get residencies. Just thought I'd give that info to those who might want to talk about it in interviews.

Hey guys..

I had many of the same reservation you all are having now.. especially after reading SDN all day. But i have to say this school is great.. ive only been here for 3 weeks and the level of interaction with the professors and deans is unprecedented. The quality of education here is :thumbup:.. all i can say is check it out for yourself.. Come spend a day with some first years and see what its all about.

If anybody has some questions.. feel free to PM me.

GP

I recall that Angel Hamilton told me in a phone conversation about a month ago that interviews will begin in October. Anyone know when invitations for an interview will go out?

Do you receive a phone call, e-mail, letter or what?

All this waiting is no fun.

:xf:

Is that match official or is it put together by students?

Except for 1 neurosurg, that match isn't really impressive. Not one single ortho, ophtho, ENT, rad, or derm. Is it because students aren't competitive, PCSOM clinical rotations doesn't offer much electives (or at least not until residency applications are in), or are students simply loyal to the PCSOM mission?

I'm not trying to piss off any PCSOM lovers but it's just that most competitive students usually go for good lifestyle/good pay specialties

My class was quite competitive. A lot of people were interested in doing primary care. Acutally, we had quite a few surgeons come from the class. Besides, you have to IM for three years before you do IM subspecialties. IMO match lists don't mean much. If you are a hard worker and do well on the Wards, you will be rewarded.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I got an e-mail that says this is the secondary, but only include a letter, plus the requirements for letter of req. and that's it.
So, where is the actual supplemental application? It does not mention anywhere to write essays or anything. I tried to call them, but they never pick it up.

Anybody can give me some info?????????PLEASE!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!

I got an e-mail that says this is the secondary, but only include a letter, plus the requirements for letter of req. and that's it.
So, where is the actual supplemental application? It does not mention anywhere to write essays or anything. I tried to call them, but they never pick it up.

Anybody can give me some info?????????PLEASE!!!!

Here you go. It is just a pdf.

Attachments

• application (2).pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 427
I just spoke to Angel Hamilton in Admissions at Pikeville College SOM a few moments ago.

The Admissions Committee spent last week and will spend this week reviewing complete files.

Interview invitations are expected to go out by the end of next week (approx. September 11th) via snail mail and e-mail.

Interview dates planned so far are: October 9th and 16th, November 6th and December 14th.

Good luck to all. :):xf:

Last edited: