Temple ACMS 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say that I received an invite for an interview on May 19! Im really excited about this program & the interview! I hope you guys hear back something also!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how selective the ACMS program is about interviews - are they giving them out to almost everyone, or is it more similar to the number of interviews that medical schools do?

Does anyone know how selective the ACMS program is about interviews - are they giving them out to almost everyone, or is it more similar to the number of interviews that medical schools do?

They are very selective. There are only three interview days, in May, June and July.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are very selective. There are only three interview days, in May, June and July.

That's what I heard, but I was just curious if that was changing this year because I have a May 17th interview date, but lil tiger has a May 19th.

Thanks for the response!

Since people are now getting interview invites, I was wondering if anyone that has gotten an invite would mind giving a short rundown of scores/accomplishments. Having an idea of the kind of scores they might be looking for will help me know if I need to seriously be making other plans. Anything that you could put is appreciated.

M

I just realized that it's rude to ask other people for more personal information without giving your own. Here's my rundown:

1) African American Male from Augusta, GA
2) Graduating with a B.S. in Chemistry from Georgia Tech (Go Jackets!)
3) 3.47 sGPA & 3.54 Overall GPA, 29Q MCAT, 630-680-740 SAT
4) A year and a half of research experience with one paper published
5) Volunteering experience from various clubs and some shadowing
6) Looking for more shadowing experience and medically-related courses since not a lot are offered at Tech and direct entry into medical school with good grades in the program

M

That's what I heard, but I was just curious if that was changing this year because I have a May 17th interview date, but lil tiger has a May 19th.

Thanks for the response!

Hey M07, when did you find out about your interview, was it this week?

EDIT: Also, was it by e-mail or snail mail?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Obviously applying late in the game, but thought I'd give it a shot all the same. Does anyone have any idea what to do on the application if we took the old (2 subject) SAT rather than the new one? Do we just leave the writing score blank, or can we sub in our score from the writing SAT II?

Ahhh sorryyyy mines is May 17th! not the 19th. I don't know why i got it wrong. Sorry for the mess up guys!! :cool:

I guess I'm freaking out about this, even though my recs and transcript were only in last week...but do you guys think they have notified all the May interviewees already?

(On a side note, that May 17 interview date is the same day as my graduation.....gotta love it :p)

I just realized that it's rude to ask other people for more personal information without giving your own. Here's my rundown:

6) Looking for more shadowing experience and medically-related courses since not a lot are offered at Tech and direct entry into medical school with good grades in the program

M

Wow, good GPA's for an SMP. You do realize though (in reference to point 6) that the direct entry will be contingent upon getting a 30 on the MCAT, right? Even if you fulfill the 3.5 GPA requirement they won't let you into the med school with a 29, even though it's a pretty decent score.

I guess I'm freaking out about this, even though my recs and transcript were only in last week...but do you guys think they have notified all the May interviewees already?

(On a side note, that May 17 interview date is the same day as my graduation.....gotta love it :p)

No idea if they've notified everyone yet, but there's 2 more days of interviews, so don't sweat it...and it's probably better if you get a June interview so you don't miss your graduation :)

Originally Posted by DialMforMystery

M

Honestly, I'd save the $25,000 and focus on bumping up that MCAT. With your background and prior experiences, there's not a whole lot of improving to do. There's the allure of automatic acceptance with the Temple program, but with an improved MCAT (which you will need anyway for Temple), you would have a decent shot at pretty much any medical school in the country.

If I was in your position, that's what I would do. I understand though. It's hard to beat that guaranteed acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
[/QUOTE]Honestly, I'd save the $25,000 and focus on bumping up that MCAT. With your background and prior experiences, there's not a whole lot of improving to do. There's the allure of automatic acceptance with the Temple program, but with an improved MCAT (which you will need anyway for Temple), you would have a decent shot at pretty much any medical school in the country.

If I was in your position, that's what I would do. I understand though. It's hard to beat that guaranteed acceptance.[/QUOTE]

My exact thoughts when I read the stats that you posted...

congrats to those who have received invitations. if you guys don't mind, when did you guys apply to the programs and when did you receive the actual invitations? and was it via email or snail mail? (i think someone asked already but didn't see a response to it)

congrats to those who have received invitations. if you guys don't mind, when did you guys apply to the programs and when did you receive the actual invitations? and was it via email or snail mail? (i think someone asked already but didn't see a response to it)

ejcarrol,

I was complete the first week of march, and just got an email invite last week :)

My file was completed in mid-April, and I received the invitation via e-mail last week.

I got an email yesterday.
Just said that my application is now complete and under review.
I submitted my app in early April.

Temple ACMS is a great program but they had over 1000 applicants for 25 spots last year. I was told by someone on the admin committe that if you don't have at least a 3.5 science gpa, dont apply this year! Thats how crazy competitive this program has gotten with the guaranteed acceptance. it no longer is a post-bacc but just as hard or harder to get into as a med school. Don't waste your time applying.
Just called the office, and they gave me a number far below 1000. Seems you are incorrect. Also, I see you posted on another ACMS thread saying the same thing, and you started a new account just to make these claims. This could be a bold statement (actually, I'm stating the obvious): you're discouraging others to apply to increase your chances of getting in.

To everybody, don't listen to the naysayers and the haters. Apply if you got the numbers and can really benefit from this program.

So, they seem to want my... SAT scores?? Are they serious? Did everyone submit these... mine are archived and will take a month to find!!

So, they seem to want my... SAT scores?? Are they serious? Did everyone submit these... mine are archived and will take a month to find!!

Yeah I was really surprised by this too, though it is listed on the website as a requirement for applying. Don't stress about the archiving thing, I was freaking out about it too but I called the College Board and the person I spoke with was very reassuring that they would be in on time. Just make sure you follow the instructions for having your scores sent in expedited.

Best of luck with this whole process :)

So...from this board, it looks like May 17th was the interview date.
If you went to the interview, can you please write a little about your interview day?
Also, has anyone heard anything from the admissions office regarding the June interview?

Hello everyone!

So i had some fantastic News!!! I got a letter in the mail today telling me I GOT ACCEPTED! Im so very excited about this & am sending my deposit tmrw!!!

I was really nervous about the interviews, as everyone in the room seemed to be. However, all of the admissions staff was super nice. I had 2 interviews; one with a student in a lounge area & he asked my the basic questions: why medicine? why temple? why ACMS? he asked about my background what I liked doing, health care experience & then we just sorta talked about Philly

Right after that I had an interview with a Professor in a different building, so I got lost getting there (even though they give you a map :confused:) But the doctor interviewing found me lost in the hallways & brought me to his office. He told me he looked over my file & was impressed with me on paper but wanted me to tell him everything I was involved in. He was super chill & told me he didnt have a list of questions to ask me & just wanted a conversation, so we talked about his research, mines, birth order & just other random things. In the end he asked me what he should tell the committee about me & i have jokingly said That he should tell them how fantastic I was & that they should accept me! He said he couldn't agree more & would tell them exactly that :)

I spoke to a couple of other people & they said their interviews grilled them.. so I guess I was lucky?

After the interviews, we sat in the waiting room until everyone was done their interviews & Grace Hershman & the Dean came and spoke to us.. we went on tour with the other ACMS students. The campus is absolutely beautiful & brand new & I loved everything about it. We had lunch with the students & then we were done for the day. I think there was supposed to be a Financial Aid Info Session afterwards,, but we didnt go to it? or there wasnt? im not sure really. But who cares? (well i do sort of but anyways)

So that was all on Monday from 9-2 & then Thursday I got my letter!! So they were really quick about it!

Today has been the best day of my Life so far & im super excited to be a part of this program. I hope my ramble up top helps you guys & I hope more people from SDN get accepted!

:)

Hey I'm wondering about the GPA requirement...I've read 3.3 is the minimum (including the sticky for post-bacc options)..but on the website, it says a "B average" which would translate into a 3.0 wouldnt it? Can anyone confirm a 3.3 or a 3.0 minimum?

Hey I'm wondering about the GPA requirement...I've read 3.3 is the minimum (including the sticky for post-bacc options)..but on the website, it says a "B average" which would translate into a 3.0 wouldnt it? Can anyone confirm a 3.3 or a 3.0 minimum?

I don't know what the minimum is, but a B is a 3.3 gpa. A 3.0 is a B-.

Edit: No it isn't, sorry. Forget I said anything. :oops:

Last edited:
I don't know what the minimum is, but a B is a 3.3 gpa. A 3.0 is a B-.

I spoke to someone in the office before I submitted my application and I was told that they don't have an official minimum for the program. The 3.3 gpa that's provided on the site is based on the average of successful applicants.

Hope this information helps :)

Congratulations, lil tiger.
I wana ask, how many people were at the interview?

So...from this board, it looks like May 17th was the interview date.
If you went to the interview, can you please write a little about your interview day?
Also, has anyone heard anything from the admissions office regarding the June interview?

The interview day was from about 9 am - 2 pm. There were about 20 people there. A lot of current students were there who were very helpful. I thought my interviewer was much more intense than lil tiger's, but I guess it went well because I just got a letter of acceptance to the program.

Best of luck to the rest of you applying!

Hey Lil tiger, my name's Nicholas, I was at the interview same day as you. I was tall tan guy with black hair. I just got the same letter as you did yesterday (Saturday). I'm really excited as well - I'm sending my deposit in tomorrow (Monday) - lol. 100% confident I am going to attend the program. I've already started to look for housing - I know NOTHING about philly. I know I want to live in center city....

We should figure out a way for all those accepted to chat and discuss housing and such.

Since people are now getting interview invites, I was wondering if anyone that has gotten an invite would mind giving a short rundown of scores/accomplishments. Having an idea of the kind of scores they might be looking for will help me know if I need to seriously be making other plans. Anything that you could put is appreciated.

M

I was one of the May 17th interviewees and received an acceptance letter on May 22nd. My stats are as follows:

Emory University graduate with a cumulative GPA of 3.7 and science GPA of 3.6 (neuroscience and behavioral biology major). I scored a 30S on the MCAT. Extensive volunteering and shadowing experience. Started my own company whilst in College. Great letters of recommendation, etc. Hope that helps. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions - I'd be glad to try my best to help.

Hey guys, has anyone heard about June interviews yet? My e-mails to the program to check if my application is complete are falling into a black hole, though it sounds like that's not very unusual.

Nothing yet, but based on when May interviewees were told, I'd say sometime this week or at the latest, early next week.

Because SDNers are so helpful...

Interview invite May 21 for June 11.

31P, 3.48c, 3.2/3s.

Expecting a waitlist...

Hey, still crossing my fingers for a July interview! :xf:

I don't understand, my application was submitted on the day it opened and complete a few weeks later. I haven't heard a single thing from them.

I feel like my credentials met or surpassed their averages they had on their site, so I was hoping at least for an interview. I'm not so optimistic any more :(

Did they send interview invites via mail, or was it all email? I am curious because I need to keep tabs on my idiot roommate who has a terrible habit of throwing stuff away.

lil tiger, congratulations on your acceptance. Would you mind telling us what you're application credentials were?

I don't understand, my application was submitted on the day it opened and complete a few weeks later. I haven't heard a single thing from them.

I feel like my credentials met or surpassed their averages they had on their site, so I was hoping at least for an interview. I'm not so optimistic any more :(

Did they send interview invites via mail, or was it all email? I am curious because I need to keep tabs on my idiot roommate who has a terrible habit of throwing stuff away.

lil tiger, congratulations on your acceptance. Would you mind telling us what you're application credentials were?

Hey dont give up hope!! I would honestly call them to make sure they have all your information & talk to them in the office. I called every time I sent something into them because I really wanted to be in this program

MCAT: 25M
GPA: 3.73
sGPA:3.8
Double Major in Biology & Psychology
Double Minor in Chemistry & Holistic Health
Over 700 Hours of Hospital Volunteering
I was also involved in a bunch of clubs & activities during school & worked 2 jobs

If you have any questions just PM me but good luck!

and for those who were accepted I made a Facebook page so go join! :)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=132953480052308

p.s It was an email about the interview & a letter for acceptance :)

Wow, those are some serious credentials. I'm kind of curious why you chose to go the SMP route, it seems like you could get straight into medical school with some work on your MCAT.

Mine are:
Neuroscience Major
cGPA: 3.1 (This might be what's holding me back)
sGPA:3.5
SAT: 1300
500 hours of clinical experience (Exemplary Service Award in Intensive Care Unit)
Tons of research including a publication and an abstract submitted to Society for Neuroscience
Academic Excellence Award for Neuroscience major (given to one student, voted by faculty)

So clearly I'm not on the same level as you, but I was under the impression that my application would fit in with what they were looking for. It's just such a downer to have not heard anything yet. It's been almost 13 weeks.

I've called the office once, and they said "We're going as fast as we can, we received an astronomical amount of applications this year." I don't really want to force the issue any more than that. And similar to other people, sending them emails hasn't really turned up any responses.

Such a bummer! :(

Thanks for the info lil tiger. Congrats again!

Wow, those are some serious credentials. I'm kind of curious why you chose to go the SMP route, it seems like you could get straight into medical school with some work on your MCAT.

Mine are:
Neuroscience Major
cGPA: 3.1 (This might be what's holding me back)
sGPA:3.5
SAT: 1300
500 hours of clinical experience (Exemplary Service Award in Intensive Care Unit)
Tons of research including a publication and an abstract submitted to Society for Neuroscience
Academic Excellence Award for Neuroscience major (given to one student, voted by faculty)

So clearly I'm not on the same level as you, but I was under the impression that my application would fit in with what they were looking for. It's just such a downer to have not heard anything yet. It's been almost 13 weeks.

I've called the office once, and they said "We're going as fast as we can, we received an astronomical amount of applications this year." I don't really want to force the issue any more than that. And similar to other people, sending them emails hasn't really turned up any responses.

Such a bummer! :(

Thanks for the info lil tiger. Congrats again!

Everything you've done looks amazing as well. Honestly admissions into medical school is just tough. I applied to med schools & didnt get accepted. The ACMS program has a conditional acceptance into the med school with the 3.5 gpa & 30 on the MCAT. Im sure i can do better on my Mcats & i think the program will help/motivate me to study for them again also another point some of the current ACMS students told us when we were there was that this program sort of gives you three years to study for the boards instead of 2 because the classes are similar if not identical to the med school classes

Anyways I really hope the best for you & wish you lots of luck! :)

For all those who have been accepted and are planning to attend, join the facebook group so we can discuss housing and such. Search Temple ACMS 2010!

I'd hate to say it but it kind of sounds like the "negative" dude that posted earlier about not bothering with this program if your GPA is below 3.5 may have actually been right. Kind of a shame....

As for some of the acceptees on here, I honestly don't get why you would do a program that commits you to attending a particular school with both an s/cGPA above 3.5 and a 30 or higher MCAT. From what I've heard Temple isn't exactly paradise (it's Philly folks) so that confounds the situation even more. Also, it may sound "easy" but there is no guarantee that you will get 3.5 in this coursework. Don't quote me on this, but I think the number I heard for last year was that 4 of 21 didn't make the cut and it was ALL due to the GPA (so presumably everyone eventually had the 30+ MCAT).

Needless to say, while the linkage is great, this program is not a lock. It is clearly a pretty awesome program in what it offers but why would you risk it with numbers/ECs that would most certainly get you into an MD school anyways?

Honestly it almost sounds like some people are too lazy to be bothered with the application process and have decided to take up the very valuable seats for those of us who actually need/ would benefit from a post-bacc program such as this. Just my two cents...

I'd hate to say it but it kind of sounds like the "negative" dude that posted earlier about not bothering with this program if your GPA is below 3.5 may have actually been right. Kind of a shame....

As for some of the acceptees on here, I honestly don't get why you would do a program that commits you to attending a particular school with both an s/cGPA above 3.5 and a 30 or higher MCAT. From what I've heard Temple isn't exactly paradise (it's Philly folks) so that confounds the situation even more. Also, it may sound "easy" but there is no guarantee that you will get 3.5 in this coursework. Don't quote me on this, but I think the number I heard for last year was that 4 of 21 didn't make the cut and it was ALL due to the GPA (so presumably everyone eventually had the 30+ MCAT).

Needless to say, while the linkage is great, this program is not a lock. It is clearly a pretty awesome program in what it offers but why would you risk it with numbers/ECs that would most certainly get you into an MD school anyways?

Honestly it almost sounds like some people are too lazy to be bothered with the application process and have decided to take up the very valuable seats for those of us who actually need/ would benefit from a post-bacc program such as this. Just my two cents...

First of all, at the interview we were told that only 2 students did not matriculate, the reason being personal and not academic. Furthermore, as the current ACMS students will confess, the coursework is not too rigorous and is completely manageable.

Secondly, I can assure you that no one with a 3.5 or higher GPA and 30 or above on the MCAT is lazy. While I can't speak for others, I chose the program because I like the idea of basically having 3 years to prepare for the boards (which is what determines what residency programs one will and will not be able to attend), instead of the normal 2 years.

Last edited:
So Temple has pushed the deadline back twice now, first to June 5th and then again to June 10th. Does anyone know if it's because they're just overloaded with apps and still trying to verify everyone's stuff, or if they haven't met their app quota yet?