2010-2011 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck everyone, refer to 2009-2010 application thread for some very useful info :)

VCU is awesome :biglove:

working on first in every thread, mdog?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll definitely be applying here! Very excited!

VCU is awesome. Their set dates for delivering acceptances could hands down be the worst idea invented. Refer to past threads to see what I mean.

Re app adding VCU this year... Good luck everyone!

VCU is awesome. Their set dates for delivering acceptances could hands down be the worst idea invented. Refer to past threads to see what I mean.

After skimming last year's threads, didn't see anything too obvious. Care to give a brief summary?

After skimming last year's threads, didn't see anything too obvious. Care to give a brief summary?

Rather than delivering acceptances on an ongoing basis like traditional schools, (where they interview a batch review them as they go along)...VCU chooses to review them as they go along but they wait to deliver acceptances every 2 months. I think last year they did Oct 15, Dec 15, and so forth. It was just really annoying and it brought up the anxiety. And when you weren't accepted, you knew you would have to wait 2 months minimum for any further news. Just too much waiting imo.

Rather than delivering acceptances on an ongoing basis like traditional schools, (where they interview a batch review them as they go along)...VCU chooses to review them as they go along but they wait to deliver acceptances every 2 months. I think last year they did Oct 15, Dec 15, and so forth. It was just really annoying and it brought up the anxiety. And when you weren't accepted, you knew you would have to wait 2 months minimum for any further news. Just too much waiting imo.

That doesn't sound too pleasant.

or the fact that they will tell you "a decision has been made on your file, which will be released at a later date" then you wait 7 months, and they tell you youre on the wait list. whatever, im going to USUHS, no debt FTW

what is even the advantage of them not telling applicants as soon as they make the decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of applying ED here, but decided to try my luck at UVA. What does VCU look for? I'm in-state, so I assumed that with decent MCATS (38R), I had a pretty good shot, so I only applied here and UVA.

Aren't all those med schools pretty much the same - if I can't get into a state school, then I probably don't have much of a chance anywhere else.

Is the secondary out yet?

Is the secondary out yet?

Just got an email from VCU saying they got my primary and gave me a link to their status check site, but looks like no secondary yet (not that I could find at least)

Looks like they screen.

The School of Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University on the Medical College of Virginia Campus has received your preliminary application from AMCAS. Your application will be reviewed. Decisions are made at that point as to which candidates will be granted supplemental application from us. It has always been our committee's policy to grant supplemental applications to those candidates who are deemed competitive within our applicant pool.

Depending on the volume of applications coming from AMCAS it may take several weeks to complete the initial review of your application. Thank you for your interest in our school and best of luck with the application process.

i got the same email. anyone know what they screen for'?

i got the same email. anyone know what they screen for'?

My impression from last year's thread is that they screen mostly OOSers, or at least they're a lot tougher on OOS...but I might be wrong...good thing I'm in-state :D

according to the Princeton Review 168 Best Medical Schools book
75% of instate students receive secondaries and 35% of OOS.

Yay! Just got the secondary invite!

Here's the essay:

The admissions committee requests that you write an essay that provides us with some insight into why you would like to join VCU School of Medicine.The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

Yeah I got this one too, but they want SAT scores :confused:

what the hell difference does that make if you have an MCAT?

EDIT: I'm OOS too...Cali resident here

Woohoo! me too! And I'm OOS with a weak MCAT score (but am originally from VA). They must look at other parts of the app, rather than just GPA/MCAT scores.

Screened in OOS!!

Woohoo got screened in too :D
Soo does anyone know how we can get our SAT scores?

got a secondary as well, oos.

Question though. One of the essay questions asks for "lapses in undergraduate history"

Does that mean any gaps in schooling? Or does that mean any bad semesters/W's/bad grades etc?

Thanks

OOS and passed the initial screening... thats a big surprise cus i did not pass EVMS's screening!

ALso I ahvent looked at the app yet, but what if I never took the SAT? Im assuming the ACT will count???

Yeah ACT does count. There is a space next to the SAT one.

I got the Secondary and I am OOS.

They also ask if you would like to do your rotations at INOVA Fairfax Hospital. Does anybody know anything about this hospital and what kind of rotations they offer? Is it worth doing rotations there instead of in Richmond? They only have 24 spaces.

OOS and passed the initial screening... thats a big surprise cus i did not pass EVMS's screening!

ALso I ahvent looked at the app yet, but what if I never took the SAT? Im assuming the ACT will count???

A big congrats to you then:D

Is the SAT/ACT score required? I never took either SAT or ACT because I went the community college route.

Is everyone trying to write between 500 to 600 words?

Does having substantially less, such as around 350-400 words, look bad?

Is the SAT/ACT score required? I never took either SAT or ACT because I went the community college route.

I don't know if its required. They probably use these numbers for internal purposes. My guess is to see what percentage of people do bad on the SAT, average on the MCAT and then stellar on the steps....Or any combo of the three....

Can any current med students at VCU comment on the clinical rotations at Fairfax vs MCV hospitals? Is one urban and one rural? What are the major differences?

Can any current med students at VCU comment on the clinical rotations at Fairfax vs MCV hospitals? Is one urban and one rural? What are the major differences?

Yeah, I'd like to know this too.

Also, on the application: For the question that says "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education." Do you guys think this means just like, serious hardships (family problems, money problems, etc.) or can I explain why my uGPA was not so great?

I was happy that I got screened in. I thought that meant something. But after seeing like 20 other people shout it out may be it wasn't so special.

I have to say, however, 500 to 600 words is insane.

Also to question regarding campuses, when it doubt always play it safe. Choose the one which is more established, is older, and the one most students choose.

Last edited:
Haha, yeah, me too. I saw the stat that only ~35% of OOS (me) get secondaries so I was pumped when I got one, then I saw all the others on here that got it as well. Then I remembered this was SDN and some/most people on here are in the top 15% of applicants. So long story short, I am still excited, haha.

Haha, yeah, me too. I saw the stat that only ~35% of OOS (me) get secondaries so I was pumped when I got one, then I saw all the others on here that got it as well. Then I remembered this was SDN and some/most people on here are in the top 15% of applicants. So long story short, I am still excited, haha.

I like your post :laugh::xf:

Is the stat that 35% of OOS applicants get secondaries confirmed or is it just somthing someone on here said? I got a secondary as OOS, but my stats are nothing special.

hey, does anyone know if the prereq for the classes has to already be taken or can we choose a class we will be taking next semester cuz it looks better than the lower level classes?
also, do the class and lab have to be joint? at my school we sign up for them seperately, so I could potentially choose general bio lab and immunology lecture... bad idea?

I doubt the Princeton Review book is wrong and its sitting right in front of me.

Remember the people who did not receive secondaries may not have been notified through email and instead are expected to check their status themselves. Even if they have been sent emails, I doubt many of them would be rushing to post it online.

I doubt the Princeton Review book is wrong and its sitting right in front of me.

Remember the people who did not receive secondaries may not have been notified through email and instead are expected to check their status themselves. Even if they have been sent emails, I doubt many of them would be rushing to post it online.
Yep I've got the 2009 version of that book (which really came out in 2008 so its outdated) and it says pretty much the same thing -- 75% instate get secondaries, 40% out of state.

Yep I've got the 2009 version of that book (which really came out in 2008 so its outdated) and it says pretty much the same thing -- 75% instate get secondaries, 40% out of state.

Screened in, instate...so I guess I'm nothing special yet then :rolleyes:

uhhh sat scores? Do any of you remember yours or are you going to estimate?

uhhh sat scores? Do any of you remember yours or are you going to estimate?

i called collegeboard to have them change my password and get my account info so i could check the SAT scores online. apparently they havent archived mine yet and its still accessible. i took mine in 2003. i hope they realize its based on the old 1600 score hahaa

USUHS also asked for my SAT score

Screened in and am a CA resident! yay i feel kind of more confident? Good luck all!

Status
Not open for further replies.