2010-2011 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably just haven't downloaded your letters from AMCAS yet, which they will do as soon as they come across your file

Oh wow, I finally got an update saying that "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates. "

It took them a week to upload my LORs? ...or did I just forget to hit submit on AMCAS? Did anyone have this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow, I finally got an update saying that "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates. "

It took them a week to upload my LORs? ...or did I just forget to hit submit on AMCAS? Did anyone have this problem?

?? mine just says the following:

"Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decison."

Anyone know if we can send four letters instead of 3?

Members don't see this ad :)
?? mine just says the following:

"Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decison."

I think that's what mine's said too (originally). Then it changed to this when they listed my LORs today...apparently. Are your LORs currently listed on the website?

Hey guys,

Is it normal that all my LORs show up as "non-science" even though they are all from science professors? Were we supposed to designate this somewhere in the secondary which type of letter they are or are THEY making the judgement call?

found this in the official VCU MCV blog.

This year I had the honor and privilege to be one of 11 fourth-year medical students chosen by our fellow classmates and the School of Medicine Admissions Office to serve as a member of the Admissions Committee. As full committee members, we had the responsibility of reviewing applications in order to decide whether or not the applicant was granted an interview.
This arduous task included the review of 6,200 primary applications and 1,800 secondary applications. The committee then invited 900 applicants to interview to fill an incoming class of 200 students. I and my fellow students took part in the process of not only interviewing these accomplished individuals, but then presenting their impressive credentials to the admissions committee that is composed of students, administrators, pre-clinical year faculty, and physicians.

This was for Spring 2009.

So basically if you got a secondary you are in VERY good shape.

found this in the official VCU MCV blog.

This year I had the honor and privilege to be one of 11 fourth-year medical students chosen by our fellow classmates and the School of Medicine Admissions Office to serve as a member of the Admissions Committee. As full committee members, we had the responsibility of reviewing applications in order to decide whether or not the applicant was granted an interview.
This arduous task included the review of 6,200 primary applications and 1,800 secondary applications. The committee then invited 900 applicants to interview to fill an incoming class of 200 students. I and my fellow students took part in the process of not only interviewing these accomplished individuals, but then presenting their impressive credentials to the admissions committee that is composed of students, administrators, pre-clinical year faculty, and physicians.

This was for Spring 2009.

So basically if you got a secondary you are in VERY good shape.

Thanks so much for the information! That's so nice to know :)

Hey guys,

Is it normal that all my LORs show up as "non-science" even though they are all from science professors? Were we supposed to designate this somewhere in the secondary which type of letter they are or are THEY making the judgement call?

I think it's their judgement call....I had a biostats letter sent in which I thought was a science LOR and an orgo letter. The Biostats was listed as non and the orgo was listed as science. In the instructions section, they tell you that they are looking for a letter that indicates how well you would perform in the science classes to count it as a science LOR. I dunno....I might be screwed if all other schools look at my Biostats letter the same way.

Hey guys,

That's strange. Of my four letters, the two from science (Microbiology, Physiology) showed up as science, my research PI showed up as science, and my clinical exp letter is non-science. I think they are the ones making the judgment call.

Anyone have a prediction as to when my primary will be screened? I submitted last weekend to VCU.

last night i had a dream that i got an interview invite from vcu ... and i was so happy of course (times 10 bc this is my second cycle), and then in the dream i was like i have to go post on sdn!

lololol its so early and the process is already getting to me

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, initial e-mail contact from VCU on 7/20

-MCAT >34
-decent GPA and EC's
-still no secondary yet.

OOS, initial e-mail contact from VCU on 7/20

-MCAT >34
-decent GPA and EC's
-still no secondary yet.

initial email contact 7/20
MCAT = 34
gpa > 3.7
still no secondary

I've got my secondary complete and fee paid. I won't have my letters complete until right up before my 60 day deadline though.

Initial Contact: 7/7
Secondary Received: 7/8

I sent them a message explaining my letters. Show me some love VCU!

I got the initial contact email on 7/20 as well, OOS and still no secondary :(

App placed on hold today. Boo. I'm not really surprised; I was actually surprised to have been given a secondary in the first place lol. Maybe I will get lucky though, it's better than rejection I suppose! :luck: everyone!

The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March.

Complete about a week and a half ago.

Got this message:

Does anyone know from how long it will take to go from this under review status to hearing back on hold/interview/etc.? :thumbup:

App placed on hold today. Boo. I'm not really surprised; I was actually surprised to have been given a secondary in the first place lol. Maybe I will get lucky though, it's better than rejection I suppose! :luck: everyone!

I'm sorry for you :( Did they e-mail you or was it just a change in status?

My application was complete a week ago, and had a message saying that it would be sent to the subcommittee for review. Today, got status update email, and when I logged in got this message:

The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

I'm getting excited. I'm a non-trad originally from Virginia, and would love to go back.

I'm sorry for you :( Did they e-mail you or was it just a change in status?

E-mail, they just send you a notice saying your status has been changed (although when my file was complete they sent me like 3 notices saying to check my updated status, and I of course flipped out every time, and it always just said "COMPLETE". Haha).

My status on the site says:

"The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

"Reservations".... thanks a lot VCU. :) j/k, maybe I will get some :love:-ing in the next few weeks lol. Looking at everyone elses' status updates, I do like how they are very detailed with their statuses, as opposed to just "under review" or "on hold" etc.

Last edited:
The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March.

:confused:

is this a hold?

I feel like all the statuses posted so far are different versions of "on hold." lol. I'm not sure, maybe someone else knows better than me. I'm gonna go check out last years thread.

is this a hold?

after reading last yrs thread, there are 5 different status updates possible:
1. we are very interested in interviewing
2. we may be able to interview
3. would like to further review for interview
4. have reservations
5. rejection

plenty of people with statuses 2 and 3 ended up with interview invites, so dont lose hope!! and a few got moved from "have reservations" to "further" or "may"

after reading last yrs thread, there are 5 different status updates possible:
1. we are very interested in interviewing
2. we may be able to interview
3. would like to further review for interview
4. have reservations
5. rejection

plenty of people with statuses 2 and 3 ended up with interview invites, so dont lose hope!! and a few got moved from "have reservations" to "further" or "may"

I got #5 :(

Boo :( I'm sorry!

First: Helpful link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=446625

Apparently the idea is that the Adcom assigns each candidate a priority, and then based on your priority your status is updated.

1. How does the ADCOM determine your priority score?

Your file is projected onto a screen and people start tearing you down based on weaknesses. Your file reviewer (one who initially read your file) and interviewer are your advocates and push for you to get in. They field questions and there is a discussion about you. Each member on the adcom gives you a score from 1-5. The highest and lowest score are thrown out and the rest are averaged. This is your priority score. 1 is the best basically the ideal candidate and 5 is the worst. Anything above a 3.5 is an automatic rejection. - Instatewaiter

Cliff's Notes on potential responses
(eliciting increasing levels of glee?).

1) The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

2) The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail.

3)
The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

So I guess mine was the worst but I could still get an interview later on? We'll see.

i want a status update!! but i was complete on july 20 so maybe they havent gotten to me yet ...
... more waiting ... :whistle:

For those with status updates, when were you "complete?"

Pretty anxious about this one. Would love to return to VA!

For those with status updates, when were you "complete?"

Pretty anxious about this one. Would love to return to VA!

I was initially marked as complete on 7/12, I submitted on 7/9.

Hmmm, no invites yet??

Last edited:
Didn't realize they screen. I got a secondary as an OOS hooray! Now hopefully I can get this out tonight.

Geez, I got two "status change" emails from VCU today. All I found out was "complete" and then "now complete, will be reviewed". Feels like a pending heart attack with each one

Geez, I got two "status change" emails from VCU today. All I found out was "complete" and then "now complete, will be reviewed". Feels like a pending heart attack with each one

:laugh: Hah! You made me spit out my drink with your heart attack comment:laugh:

for the people who got a secondary a long time ago....were you guys IS?

i just got a secondary invite, am OOS(cali)....i feel like i'm pretty damn late compared to you guys!

What are the standards for screening? I'm OOS, and got a secondary today...just wondering how great it actually is.

What are the standards for screening? I'm OOS, and got a secondary today...just wondering how great it actually is.

I think a while back someone posted that Princeton Review says 35 or 40 percent of OOS applicants get the 2ndary. Feels good to get past that hurdle, but upcoming cuts are rough.

i'm pretty sure its >3.0, >27 mcat, can they write a decent PS, do they have some sort of clinical exp.

I got two separate e-mails ~ 5 hours apart stating that my application status has been changed.

Initially, "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decison."

Then, "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

I got two separate e-mails ~ 5 hours apart stating that my application status has been changed.

Initially, "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decison."

Then, "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Weird, I got the reverse, separated by one week. So now mine's read "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decison." instead of the "...Once the review is complete,..." What does this mean? Ah!

Weird, I got the reverse, separated by one week. So now mine's read "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decison." instead of the "...Once the review is complete,..." What does this mean? Ah!

...you are reading into this WAY too much lol

is this a hold?

i got the same thing you got..wonder if it is just a slient rejection?!

i got the same thing you got..wonder if it is just a slient rejection?!

Looks like it's a hold at worst..according to last year's thread (and a reference to it earlier on this page) that's the 2nd most favorable status update...chin up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.