2012-2013 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who's currently a student here, and while she's stressed, she seems to enjoy her time in Drexel. I hope I can get accepted here as well. :)

I will be applying here. I am still waiting to here back from 3 out of 4 SMPs I applied to so I can have something to put on the primary about it and I am waitlisted at Cinni for their Masters in physiology program so I know either way I would be hereing back from med schools until very late in the season.... Long wait ahead...

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying here too! It's one of my top 5 choices.

Why do so mant ppl like this school? Does it have a really good curriculum, campus?

Why do so mant ppl like this school? Does it have a really good curriculum, campus?

My GPA is not extremely high like some other applicants, so I'm applying to some low-ranking schools with the hopes of increasing my chances of acceptance.

Asides from that, I have a friend who goes to Drexel and she seems to be enjoying her experience there.

Don't mind me, just another applicant....

The curricula at Drexel are actually pretty interesting. They have a PBL and a more traditional (lecture-based) version (PIL and IFM, respectively). You basically choose one of them to follow, though some students do switch after their first year. This level of flexibility was pretty unique and appealing.

I didn't really like the campus at Drexel though. The medical school campus is located away from their main teaching hospital, which is located in downtown Philadelphia. There is a shuttle bus that goes between the campus and the hospital, but this seems somewhat inconvenient.

I know a couple of people who study here and they all really enjoy it :). People generally seemed happy when we were there too (always a good sign haha).

I'm currently on their WL, and reapplying this cycle. Love this school, it's my top choice! If you have any questions, PM me.

The curricula at Drexel are actually pretty interesting. They have a PBL and a more traditional (lecture-based) version (PIL and IFM, respectively). You basically choose one of them to follow, though some students do switch after their first year. This level of flexibility was pretty unique and appealing.

I didn't really like the campus at Drexel though. The medical school campus is located away from their main teaching hospital, which is located in downtown Philadelphia. There is a shuttle bus that goes between the campus and the hospital, but this seems somewhat inconvenient.

I know a couple of people who study here and they all really enjoy it :). People generally seemed happy when we were there too (always a good sign haha).

Maybe I am missing something but I don't understand the appeal of PBL. How is it different from just not going to lecture...

Maybe I am missing something but I don't understand the appeal of PBL. How is it different from just not going to lecture...

Mandatory attendance would be a minor difference from IFM and then not going to lecture.

It is a different strokes for different folks sort of thing. It is a moderated but largely student led format where learning issues are spun out of relevant cases and people generally learn by teaching, with some "resource lectures" sprinkled in.

Or not. I was IFM, so my PIL knowledge is based on whispered rumors and IFM folklore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my primary today. What essay prompts did Drexel give out last year?

What should I know about Drexel's application procedure?

Mandatory attendance would be a minor difference from IFM and then not going to lecture.

It is a different strokes for different folks sort of thing. It is a moderated but largely student led format where learning issues are spun out of relevant cases and people generally learn by teaching, with some "resource lectures" sprinkled in.

Or not. I was IFM, so my PIL knowledge is based on whispered rumors and IFM folklore.

I figured the PIL would be more popular but I guess not. I just don't know anything about it.

Submitted my primary today. What essay prompts did Drexel give out last year?

What should I know about Drexel's application procedure?
No essay prompts from what I remember about last year's application. Just got to fill in your course information etc. Somewhat tedious, but the lack of an essay more than makes up for it! Their secondary didn't come out until late July (it was one of the last secondaries I received), so don't be too freaked out if all your other secondaries arrive first. Another interesting aspect about Drexel's application procedure is that you're required to write an ethical dilemma essay at the beginning of the interview day. Hope this helps :)

No essay prompts from what I remember about last year's application. Just got to fill in your course information etc. Somewhat tedious, but the lack of an essay more than makes up for it! Their secondary didn't come out until late July (it was one of the last secondaries I received), so don't be too freaked out if all your other secondaries arrive first. Another interesting aspect about Drexel's application procedure is that you're required to write an ethical dilemma essay at the beginning of the interview day. Hope this helps :)

What do you mean by course information? I'm assuming it's not just the list of courses we submitted for AMCAS. And do we have to think of a dilemma and then write about what we would do in the situation? Or is a specific ethical dilemma presented and we just give our answer?

What do you mean by course information? I'm assuming it's not just the list of courses we submitted for AMCAS. And do we have to think of a dilemma and then write about what we would do in the situation? Or is a specific ethical dilemma presented and we just give our answer?

You'll have to list all the required course (Bio, chem, etc.) and the grades you received for pretty much every secondary you submit.

In regards to the essay, the day of the interview you will be given a paper with a prompt on which you will write a short essay. It's pretty straight forward, and you have 30 minutes to write it. Trust me when I tell you, the answer is pretty obvious, so you have nothing to worry about. :D

DJDT answered it. Most of my secondaries didn't require us to relist the coursework though. Maybe I just got lucky with my school choices. That essay totally caught me by surprise though and I spent about 10 minutes just sitting there before I thought of an example to use (whew!). I thought it was funny how we all got different prompts. Did they not trust us to not cheat while writing about ethical dilemmas? :laugh:

DJDT answered it. Most of my secondaries didn't require us to relist the coursework though. Maybe I just got lucky with my school choices. That essay totally caught me by surprise though and I spent about 10 minutes just sitting there before I thought of an example to use (whew!). I thought it was funny how we all got different prompts. Did they not trust us to not cheat while writing about ethical dilemmas? :laugh:

Lucky you! lol My apps were tedious, specially with the amount of essays I had to write. Let's see what this round will require :laugh:

My essay caught me entirely off guard, I also sat there staring at everyone else write for about ten minutes. I'm thinking we might have had the same topic because everyone else had a scenario laid out, and I had to give an example. :smack:

To posters that have gone through it: what does Drexel's interview day consist of?

To posters that have gone through it: what does Drexel's interview day consist of?

Introduction, Essay, Presentation, tour of Queen Lane Campus. (If your faculty interview is at Hahnemann, you might miss part of the presentation and/or tour)

The rest of the day is dictated by your itinerary, and the location and time of your faculty interview, which can occur at either Hahnemann or the Queen Lane Campus.

You will spend the majority of the day in the same conference room where you first met, whenever you're not interviewing. Your student interview will be held over lunch, although I have heard not everyone has a student interview (depends on availability and faculty interview I guess).

Optional Q&A at around 2 PM. Should conclude by 2:30 PM.

GL!

Introduction, Essay, Presentation, tour of Queen Lane Campus. (If your faculty interview is at Hahnemann, you might miss part of the presentation and/or tour)

The rest of the day is dictated by your itinerary, and the location and time of your faculty interview, which can occur at either Hahnemann or the Queen Lane Campus.

You will spend the majority of the day in the same conference room where you first met, whenever you're not interviewing. Your student interview will be held over lunch, although I have heard not everyone has a student interview (depends on availability and faculty interview I guess).

Optional Q&A at around 2 PM. Should conclude by 2:30 PM.

GL!

Wow... not half bad way to spend a day.

Wow... not half bad way to spend a day.
Some people like it, some people don't. Just be prepared to go with the flow on the interview day.

I'm in the PIL program, so if you have any specific questions about our mysterious ways, feel free to ask. We have a fair bit of lecture, and we drop from 3 to 2 small group meetings per week in second year. One of the other major differences between IFM and PIL is that we learn the entire H&P first year and spend the last 6 weeks doing primary care and community health volunteering. The primary care project can be anything from IM to peds to family medicine to EM.

Some people like it, some people don't. Just be prepared to go with the flow on the interview day.

I'm in the PIL program, so if you have any specific questions about our mysterious ways, feel free to ask. We have a fair bit of lecture, and we drop from 3 to 2 small group meetings per week in second year. One of the other major differences between IFM and PIL is that we learn the entire H&P first year and spend the last 6 weeks doing primary care and community health volunteering. The primary care project can be anything from IM to peds to family medicine to EM.

Could you explain how PIL works? I know you guys meet in small groups but are you given a problem and you have to come up with a solution or is it more like a study group and you work together on labs and things? You guys still have exams right?:confused:

Could someone explain PBL vs PIL vs IFM to me? :oops:

Do you remember the cost?

Could you explain how PIL works? I know you guys meet in small groups but are you given a problem and you have to come up with a solution or is it more like a study group and you work together on labs and things? You guys still have exams right?:confused:

We do meet in small groups to talk about paper cases. The cases talk about interactions with the patient, their history and test results, and occasionally their outcomes. We try to figure out what in the case is important, develop a list of possible diagnoses for the patient, and reevaluate as we get new information. The cases are an engine for us to figure out what basic science we need to know, and everyone gets learning issues which they prepare and present to the group during the next session. We have resource sessions, which are basically lectures where we're encouraged to ask questions, that supplement our learning in small group. I really like how Drexel does PBL, we have about 20 hours of lecture/lab per week as opposed to other PBL schools that have 5-6 hours of lecture - it's more support and fewer ridiculous requirements. Resource sessions are not mandatory, but a large contingent of us attend lecture regularly.

Small group is 3-3hr sessions first year and 2-3hr sessions second year.

Could someone explain PBL vs PIL vs IFM to me? :oops:

PBL = Problem Based Learning

PIL is just Drexel's curriculum that uses problem based learning. IFM is the lecture-based curriculum, which is based around modules for specific problems or symptoms. IFM is around 200 people, PIL is 60-70.

We do meet in small groups to talk about paper cases. The cases talk about interactions with the patient, their history and test results, and occasionally their outcomes. We try to figure out what in the case is important, develop a list of possible diagnoses for the patient, and reevaluate as we get new information. The cases are an engine for us to figure out what basic science we need to know, and everyone gets learning issues which they prepare and present to the group during the next session. We have resource sessions, which are basically lectures where we're encouraged to ask questions, that supplement our learning in small group. I really like how Drexel does PBL, we have about 20 hours of lecture/lab per week as opposed to other PBL schools that have 5-6 hours of lecture - it's more support and fewer ridiculous requirements. Resource sessions are not mandatory, but a large contingent of us attend lecture regularly.

Small group is 3-3hr sessions first year and 2-3hr sessions second year.

PBL = Problem Based Learning

PIL is just Drexel's curriculum that uses problem based learning. IFM is the lecture-based curriculum, which is based around modules for specific problems or symptoms. IFM is around 200 people, PIL is 60-70.

Awesome thanks

anyone get a secondary yet?

Are you kidding? This is Drexel they are dead last to send out secondaries.... Check out last years threads for some funny moments of people getting upset with how long it took drexel to send them a secondary.

any word on the secondary? anything from Drexel at all?

Are you kidding? This is Drexel they are dead last to send out secondaries.... Check out last years threads for some funny moments of people getting upset with how long it took drexel to send them a secondary.

Man, I really need to read more of last year's threads. Thanks :)

Secondaries.... Not sent yet... This school loves to make people wait... It gets even worse after the secondaries.

Not entirely true about waiting. For some people post interviews, it can take months. For others, myself being one of the lucky ones, it can be about 5-6 weeks. The fastest I have seen, however, is about a month wait time post interview. Last year, I received my secondary July 20th. Sent it in the 27th and interviewed October 17th. I found received my acceptance letter just after Thanksgiving. Your secondaries should be coming out soon if they are on the same time schedule. Patience is the name of the game.

Not entirely true about waiting. For some people post interviews, it can take months. For others, myself being one of the lucky ones, it can be about 5-6 weeks. The fastest I have seen, however, is about a month wait time post interview. Last year, I received my secondary July 20th. Sent it in the 27th and interviewed October 17th. I found received my acceptance letter just after Thanksgiving. Your secondaries should be coming out soon if they are on the same time schedule. Patience is the name of the game.

Some people get luck most dont. Drexel seems to enjoy watching us wait.

im a 4th year at drexel, who was in PIL. i have loved my experiences here. outside of cost, i have no complaints. i dont go on SDN often but if anyone has any specific questions about the school or the process in general feel free to PM me, although i cant guarantee a response.

an interesting analogy i was told as a pre-med to explain the admissions process...
there are spectrums of people and stats, when combined you get great people with great stats and great people with not so great stats, but also terrible people with great stats or terrible people with terrible stats and everything in the middle. obvious the terrible and terrible are thrown out. the people that combine the great stats and personality go to the ivy league or their public school cause its cheap, the next set of schools now have a decision to make between taking the great stats people with just good personality or good stats with great personality. some like the perception of high standards and some believe that intelligence is what makes a good doctor, so they take the students with stats, while other schools would prefer to take a slightly lower stats with great personality because they operate on another philosophy. Over time every medical school has found where they get their students from on this spectrum and therefore see each application differently from another schools admission committee. that is not to say that any one way is right or wrong, but i guarantee as you go through the process you will pick up on a distinctive personality of each school. find the one that fits you best, as you will be most likely to succeed in an environment that caters to you.
this assessment is crude and just an observation of someone who has been in the game for some time. just figured id pass it along as you begin your journey. best of luck to all of you.

im a 4th year at drexel, who was in PIL. i have loved my experiences here. outside of cost, i have no complaints. i dont go on SDN often but if anyone has any specific questions about the school or the process in general feel free to PM me, although i cant guarantee a response.

an interesting analogy i was told as a pre-med to explain the admissions process...
there are spectrums of people and stats, when combined you get great people with great stats and great people with not so great stats, but also terrible people with great stats or terrible people with terrible stats and everything in the middle. obvious the terrible and terrible are thrown out. the people that combine the great stats and personality go to the ivy league or their public school cause its cheap, the next set of schools now have a decision to make between taking the great stats people with just good personality or good stats with great personality. some like the perception of high standards and some believe that intelligence is what makes a good doctor, so they take the students with stats, while other schools would prefer to take a slightly lower stats with great personality because they operate on another philosophy. Over time every medical school has found where they get their students from on this spectrum and therefore see each application differently from another schools admission committee. that is not to say that any one way is right or wrong, but i guarantee as you go through the process you will pick up on a distinctive personality of each school. find the one that fits you best, as you will be most likely to succeed in an environment that caters to you.
this assessment is crude and just an observation of someone who has been in the game for some time. just figured id pass it along as you begin your journey. best of luck to all of you.
That was probably the best description of this process I've ever heard. Seriously! As far as Drexel goes this school has always been on my list and it's nice to hear this perspective from a current student while we're all beginning the very long year of waiting ahead of us. Thanks :)

awesome awesome description of the process

So which one is Drexel.... More about numbers or more about people. How friendly and receptive are they to people that are in Special masters programs?

So which one is Drexel.... More about numbers or more about people. How friendly and receptive are they to people that are in Special masters programs?
I'd say Drexel is more about people. We have a lot of nontrads in our class - and keep in mind Drexel has its own SMP, it'd be kind of weird if they weren't friendly to other SMPs or post-bacs.

This is not to say the numbers aren't still important, even if you weren't top of the heap in undergrad, you have to prove yourself at some point.

I'd say Drexel is more about people. We have a lot of nontrads in our class - and keep in mind Drexel has its own SMP, it'd be kind of weird if they weren't friendly to other SMPs or post-bacs.

This is not to say the numbers aren't still important, even if you weren't top of the heap in undergrad, you have to prove yourself at some point.

I agree. This is why I chose Drexel. All the 1st and 2nd years I talked to when I interviewed seemed very down to earth, less concerned with "grades, grades, grades" and more concerned with the experiences that will help in the long run. Just my thoughts while I was there.

I agree. This is why I chose Drexel. All the 1st and 2nd years I talked to when I interviewed seemed very down to earth, less concerned with "grades, grades, grades" and more concerned with the experiences that will help in the long run. Just my thoughts while I was there.

Awesome

this is exactly what i'm looking for

I start in just over a week, so i'll try and keep you guys updated on my thoughts of things when I have time. The best way to learn about a school is by the people taking classes there.

I just got the secondary. There aren't really any essays other than describing any interruption in education. It's mostly annoying stuff. To sum it up: you know all of that stuff in your primary that you checked off and filled in about dates, titles, family, and education? Do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.