2012-2013 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the threads seem so quiet, I guess they will pick up soon. Applying here this cycle, really nervous because I am still studying for my July MCAT!

Most of the threads seem so quiet, I guess they will pick up soon. Applying here this cycle, really nervous because I am still studying for my July MCAT!

Same! I delayed taking it in May to July 14.

And does anyone know how OOS friendly this school is?

Members don't see this ad :)
I rescheduled mine from July 6th to August 4th. I totally wasn't able to study at all in May like I had planned.

Same! I delayed taking it in May to July 14.

And does anyone know how OOS friendly this school is?

It's a private school, so they're more than willing to consider OOS. I imagine in-state status helps, but not nearly as much as at state schools. Good luck!

Hey All! Im also applying this cycle. Taking my mcat sometime in August, do not have a definitive date yet, but more than likely on the 10th/16th.. We shall see! Good luck everyone!!!!

Applying as well. Where is the Morehouse thread?

You didn't have to post it. I just didn't see it when I went through the school specific threads. I figured it hadn't been created because a lot of schools aren't on there yet. Thanks though.
You're welcome. I forgot the happyface to imply I was joking. :oops: Good luck!

I rescheduled mine from July 6th to August 4th. I totally wasn't able to study at all in May like I had planned.

It's a private school, so they're more than willing to consider OOS. I imagine in-state status helps, but not nearly as much as at state schools. Good luck!

Thanks for the info!

Like so others on here, i havent been able to study much either and I rescheduled my MCAT from May to end of July lol. But I am applying to Meharry this year. ;)

Wondered if anyone has heard anything yet? Also, in studying for the MCAT what resources are you guys using? Examcrackers? Kaplan? MCAT Courses? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

I hope you are all doing great. If you read last year's thread, you will see i was a frequent poster. I am currently starting my first year at Meharry. We started our MAPS program on June 25th, so we just completed 2 weeks of the 6 week program. Thus far, we have not been very busy, but come Monday it is a different ball game. We are starting Gross Anatomy and Biochemistry and we have lots of work to do. I haven't been checking SDN too frequently, and i believe i won't be able to check it that often from now on, but if you have any questions PM me. Good luck in the application process, just remember all you need is ONE ACCEPTANCE. I hope to see all you enthusiastic future doctors at Meharry next year.:)

Hey Everyone,

I hope you are all doing great. If you read last year's thread, you will see i was a frequent poster. I am currently starting my first year at Meharry. We started our MAPS program on June 25th, so we just completed 2 weeks of the 6 week program. Thus far, we have not been very busy, but come Monday it is a different ball game. We are starting Gross Anatomy and Biochemistry and we have lots of work to do. I haven't been checking SDN too frequently, and i believe i won't be able to check it that often from now on, but if you have any questions PM me. Good luck in the application process, just remember all you need is ONE ACCEPTANCE. I hope to see all you enthusiastic future doctors at Meharry next year.:)

Thanks and Congrats Dr. P :) I will try to PM you a message....respond when you can. Best wishes!

Wondered if anyone has heard anything yet? Also, in studying for the MCAT what resources are you guys using? Examcrackers? Kaplan? MCAT Courses? Thanks!

No secondary yet. Examcrackers 101 verbal is one of the best IMO. Take all the AAMC practice tests if you can afford it. Take princeton review practice tests too; they are way harder than the real thing but are awesome practice. Avoid Kaplan at all costs. I primarily studied with text books and online sites with guidance from AAMC's "The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam". I have a mediocre score (29O), but it reflects the amount of time I studied (4 weeks).

No secondary yet. Examcrackers 101 verbal is one of the best IMO. Take all the AAMC practice tests if you can afford it. Take princeton review practice tests too; they are way harder than the real thing but are awesome practice. Avoid Kaplan at all costs. I primarily studied with text books and online sites with guidance from AAMC's "The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam". I have a mediocre score (29O), but it reflects the amount of time I studied (4 weeks).

Thanks for the answers.... I appreciate it.

How strong is this URM school? Any statistics??? I'm not URM.. what are my chances?

When do they send secondaries??

How strong is this URM school? Any statistics??? I'm not URM.. what are my chances?

One of my really good friends is there currently, about to start his third year and I'm applying there this year as well. Neither of us are considered URM so I asked him about applying there and all. He said most of the class is from URM backgrounds, and VERY FEW people each year get in that aren't URM. I asked him about secondaries and he didn't know exactly when those come out. I'm from the Nashville area and would love to stay here for med school, but not being considered URM may hurt those chances a lot.

Just checking in with other applicants...and trying to keep Meharry on the first page!!!! lol Best Wishes everyone. I suspect it will be quiet here until mid august when the 2ndary will be issued.

Based on last years cycle on SDN,

"The Supplemental Application will officially open Friday, August 5, 2011."

So probably in the next three weeks.... hoping we both get 2ndaries and eventually invites...:xf::D:xf:

One of my really good friends is there currently, about to start his third year and I'm applying there this year as well. Neither of us are considered URM so I asked him about applying there and all. He said most of the class is from URM backgrounds, and VERY FEW people each year get in that aren't URM. I asked him about secondaries and he didn't know exactly when those come out. I'm from the Nashville area and would love to stay here for med school, but not being considered URM may hurt those chances a lot.

Is it true that Meharry and Vanderbilt have a sort of ""co-op program" ? I thought I read about some program that involves students from both schools...

Is it true that Meharry and Vanderbilt have a sort of ""co-op program" ? I thought I read about some program that involves students from both schools...

Correct. It's very easy to do rotations and research at Vandy. Also, if you're interested in an MD/PhD, they allow you to do your PhD at Vandy. It's an alliance program designed to expose URMs in medicine to high quality medical education, basic science education, and research skills: http://www.meharry-vanderbilt.org/

Good luck.

Correct. It's very easy to do rotations and research at Vandy. Also, if you're interested in an MD/PhD, they allow you to do your PhD at Vandy. It's an alliance program designed to expose URMs in medicine to high quality medical education, basic science education, and research skills: http://www.meharry-vanderbilt.org/

Good luck.

Thanks for the website. I noticed an inconsistency in your definition of the Alliance b/t the two schools and wanted to make sure those browsing this site will be exposed to correct information. I'm sure because of the Nashville General Hospital being located at Meharry that rotations and/or research doesn't prove to be a problem for Meharry students.

The purpose of the alliance is NOT to provide URM's (UnderRepresented Minorities) with EXPOSURE to a high quality medical education, basic science education and research skills. Meharry as well as other other American Medical schools ALREADY provide high quality medical education and research opportunities...basic science education is "a given" at any medical school. According to the website listed above, the purpose of the alliance is defined as follows:

Recognizing the importance of forging strategic partnerships as a means of managing change under such conditions, the leadership of Meharry Medical College (MMC) and Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC), in the fall of 1997, began informal talks to explore opportunities for a mutually beneficial collaboration. This led to the formation of a steering committee which included Dr. John E. Maupin, Jr., President of Meharry Medical College, Dr. Harry R. Jacobson, Vice-Chancellor of Vanderbilt University Medical Center, and the deans of each institution’s school of medicine – Drs. A. Cherrie Epps and John E. Chapman, of Meharry and Vanderbilt, respectively.
By April 1998, working groups comprised of representatives from the two institutions were laying the foundation for a formal alliance based on a variety of combined and/or shared resources. Based on common interest the following five major categories were defined:
Clinical Science Training – to explore cooperative and collaborative medical training activities (clerkships, residencies, and fellowships) at Nashville General Hospital at Meharry (NGHM), VUMC, and affiliated institutions of both schools.
Academic Support – to benefit student curricula and enhance the academic support infrastructure of both institutions. The initiatives in this category focus on three specific areas: undergraduate medical education; student affairs and admissions, and information management and libraries.
Biomedical Research and Training – to facilitate and expand collaborative research efforts; broaden the experiences of graduate trainees; and enhance the expertise of faculty.
Health Services Initiatives – to expand patient care capabilities and services; increase patient access; improve coordination of health services; and secure Nashville General Hospital at Meharry (NGHM) as an outstanding resource for Nashville, while benefiting the training and research interests of both MMC and VUMC.
Community Involvement – to facilitate interchange with health care providers in the community, the Meharry-Vanderbilt Alliance plays a prominent role in formation of the Nashville Consortium of Safety Net Providers.This consortium consists of those clinics whose mission is to serve the uninsured and underserved population of Davidson County. The consortium obtained funding for the formation of Bridges to Care, a program to assist families in locating a medical home.

Just a quick clarification...and Best of Luck to you!!!! Hopefully you will matriculate at the school of your choice this year.

Thanks for the website. I noticed an inconsistency in your definition of the Alliance b/t the two schools . . .
You're welcome. Although, I wouldn't call it an inconsistency, but rather a subjective inference of what the alliance means and accomplishes.

The purpose of the alliance is NOT to provide URM's (UnderRepresented Minorities) with EXPOSURE to a high quality medical education, basic science education and research skills. Meharry as well as other other American Medical schools ALREADY provide high quality medical education and research opportunities...basic science education is "a given" at any medical school. According to the website listed above, the purpose of the alliance is defined as follows: . . .

The way you underlined those phrases is just as subjective as my initial definition and could still be inferred along the same lines. If you've ever visited a lab or clinic at Meharry and a lab or clinic at VUMC, I think you'd see a little more into my inference. (I've volunteered in labs at both institutions.)

Nonetheless, my post was in no way intended to say or imply that Meharry's education or facilities are in any way inferior, just different. When I wrote "high quality," I meant in resources. Metro General is limited in funding by serving a largely indigent patient population. Thus it receives less funding from RVUs than is often needed to subsist, as evidenced by years of struggling to find new and different ways to bridge that funding gap. That translates into less accessible tertiary services and a higher stock of outdated equipment in clinics and labs alike. You'll still be able to visualize that hemorrhage, just maybe not as fast or as easy as with newer equipment. But what it lacks in that convenience, Meharry compensates in offering its students more access to and an education in serving underserved patients with those limited resources, mirroring real-world inner city general hospitals, as well as offering opportunities to explore and understand the myriad problems endemic to these populations.

The entire paragraph you highlighted just summarizes that they're offering a symbiosis between the two institutions: send the patient with a rare genetic disorder or toxicological syndrome to Vandy where the facilities can cater to those ailments, while Meharry specializes in serving the indigent and medically underserved--among its many other facets. I mean, Meharry labs are still receiving grants and studying different problems; but they honestly just don't have the multitude of grants and consequent indirects (funding allotted beyond the research team to the institution, in a nutshell) or space to address questions of the same scale or complexity.

Does that make sense at all? Meh Clear as mud? LoL

Anyway, I think they offer their students great opportunities. It's an awesome school. I was interested in their MD/PhD program last year, but am now just sticking with population-based research with the underserved. I'll grab an MPH during med school or residency. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
anyone know what they look for in the screening process before sending out secondaries?

Got my secondary today too! Anyone have an idea about the character limit on the "why do you want to go to meharry" essay?

Non-URM OOS here, so i dont think my chances are high, but I love the location of the campus & want to serve the underserved so I think I will give the application a shot (the fee being $65 as opposed to the $100 i'm used to seeing doesnt hurt either..)

OOS URM here! :)

Just verified by AMCAS today, so I'm hoping I'll receive a secondary soon!

Do we know if Meharry pre-screens?

Got my secondary today too! Anyone have an idea about the character limit on the "why do you want to go to meharry" essay?

Non-URM OOS here, so i dont think my chances are high, but I love the location of the campus & want to serve the underserved so I think I will give the application a shot (the fee being $65 as opposed to the $100 i'm used to seeing doesnt hurt either..)

Got my secondary today! I dont believe there is a character limit. Best of Luck :luck:

Submitted my secondary. Does anyone know how many people they normally send the secondary out to? I know they screen before they send them out.

Submitted my secondary. Does anyone know how many people they normally send the secondary out to? I know they screen before they send them out.

That's a good question, I wonder. I believe they are sending the secondaries out in batches so lets see what happens! Best of luck friends :]

Hi all,

When did you all get verified by AMCAS? I am trying to gauge when I may get a secondary? BTW, are the secondary prompts out? Has anyone posted them?

I got an e-mail from Meharry saying that they received my primary application and it would be another three weeks or so before I hear back. Waiting patiently!!

Just got the e-mail that i'm under review!

Secondary received! I'm so amped! :D

When did you send in your secondary? I sent mine in just a few days after getting it, just wanting to gauge when I might hear back.

I just sent in my secondary as well, although I didn't add any letters of recommendation until last week.

application is under review...do they really take six weeks? i really want to interview at this school

Hi guys,

Sorry for being MIA, but as i already posted earlier on, i am current student at Meharry and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. It might take a while for me to reply, but i will. Also, for the person that asked, yes it does take 6 weeks or more especially since you guys are pretty early. They don't start interviewing until october. Our Gross Anatomy professor is one of the interviewers and he was telling us about how they are about to start reviewing applications. Hang in tight and enjoy your year.

For those who sent me messages and i haven't replied, i will.

Hi guys, I just got the email saying my file is under review. I completed it on August 8 so had about a week turnaround time. Really hoping to interview/go here since I'm from the Nashville area, grew up there and went to undergrad right next door, but might have trouble since I'm not an URM.

Hi guys, I just got the email saying my file is under review. I completed it on August 8 so had about a week turnaround time. Really hoping to interview/go here since I'm from the Nashville area, grew up there and went to undergrad right next door, but might have trouble since I'm not an URM.

Yup, this is often the case. I applied and was rejected last year based on "not meeting the school's mission," which was balderdash considering I plan to work with the underserved. Perhaps I said something in the secondary that didn't mesh, though. I'm going to be much more careful this time around.

It has only been one week since I received Meharry's e-mail about my application being complete and for some reason I could have sworn it has been two. lol

I need to step away from the calendar! They said we would receive written communication on the AdCom's decision. Do they mean e-mail or snail mail?

It has only been one week since I received Meharry's e-mail about my application being complete and for some reason I could have sworn it has been two. lol

I need to step away from the calendar! They said we would receive written communication on the AdCom's decision. Do they mean e-mail or snail mail?

You'll receive notification about rejection via e-mail. They're fairly prompt with their decision once you've submitted your secondary. I'm not sure if they call you or snail mail you if you're accepted, though. :-(

Can someone PLEASEEEE post the secondary questions??? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.