2012-2013 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got interview invite. Will be there 09/01/12...didn't even take 6 weeks to get a response!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I was wondering approx. how long your answers were to the 'why meharry' question in the secondary? There doesn't seem to be a limit.

p.s congrats on the interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I was wondering approx. how long your answers were to the 'why meharry' question in the secondary? There doesn't seem to be a limit.

p.s congrats on the interviews

Hey, I wrote about 3/4 of a page, single-spaced. Word count says about 450 words. This was based on the advice I got from my friend who is currently starting his 3rd year at Meharry, basically 3/4 to 1.5 pages, but make the content count, don't just put stuff in for length.

Ahh! I was complete about a week after you, so let's hope for some good news!

Either way, congratulations! I know that you must be so excited!!

Meharry School of Medicine interview invite!!!!!!!

I can't even believe it. I LOVE this school!

Interview invite

Complete: 8-17-2012

32O, 3.7, OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed secondary next day after receiving it, sent LORs, and waiting on complete e-mail and invite possibly. I bombed my MCAT after all the prep, so I don't really expect much from this cycle.

Hi Guys, am new here on SDN...has been checking it since the beginning of the year but finally decided to make an account a few weeks ago.
Here is my question: Does Meharry screen out primary applications from AMCAS, because I got an email telling me that I went through the screening process and now I can fill out the supplemental one. Would appreciate an answer!Thanks

Hi Guys, am new here on SDN...has been checking it since the beginning of the year but finally decided to make an account a few weeks ago.
Here is my question: Does Meharry screen out primary applications from AMCAS, because I got an email telling me that I went through the screening process and now I can fill out the supplemental one. Would appreciate an answer!Thanks

Last edited:

yes they screen primaries

Alright, finally submitted last night and am now in line with the rest of you. :) Good luck everyone.

Thank ya!!.. I received the "you are complete" email on Aug 29th.

People who are getting interview invites, could you please share your stats... URM?

I'm just wondering if I'll get interview invite or not - what are they looking for.. I'm not URM but like the college.

Thanks,

Congrats to those who have received an interview!

Has anyone received a rejection email yet? I am freaking out a bit because I was complete around the same day as others who have received interview invites. However, I have still received no word. Just trying to get a feel for how quickly they send out rejections.

Thanks!

Congrats to those who have received an interview!

Has anyone received a rejection email yet? I am freaking out a bit because I was complete around the same day as others who have received interview invites. However, I have still received no word. Just trying to get a feel for how quickly they send out rejections.

Thanks!
Don't worry. They send out rejections fairly quickly. They won't leave you hanging.

Same. Has ANYONE received rejections thus far? If so please state when you were verified. Thanks!

Meharry School of Medicine interview invite!!!!!!!

I can't even believe it. I LOVE this school!

Would you mind sharing what you love about this school? I sent a primary in because I want to work with underserved communities but is there anything in specific you like?

I have not heard also. Nervous... my stats: GPA: 3.91; 31Q. Not URM. I'm wondering what they look for. Should I still be hopeful?

Last edited:
i interviewed in the first round on 10/1. I really like the campus and the philosophy centered around this family oriented med school. all the people were sweet as ever and i believe the actual interview was a breeze. my interviewer just asked me questions about my self and we went over time quite a bit. was told to look for their decision on 10/15!

I have not heard also. Nervous... my stats: GPA: 4.91; 31Q. Not URM. I'm wondering what they look for. Should I still be hopeful?

4.91... I give up then...

I was complete 9-7 and still haven't heard anything. My stats are 30R and cGPA is 3.54 (i don't remember my sGPA). It is so nerve-racking not hearing back from schools. I keep checking my inbox and nothing new appears

just rejected dang. i was put on hold last year and this time straight out rejection ouch.

reject just now, OOS 31MCAT, not URM

Rejection e-mail yesterday OOS, non-URM, complete 9/13/2012. Competitive GPA and MCAT for Meharry. Oh well.

Hi everyone! I have interview here on Oct.29th, and I'm so excited! Has anyone interviewed already?How did it go? And advice? :)

Got rejected yesterday. Not URM, 30R and 3.5 cGPA. I'm going to call and see if there's a specific reason why I was rejected

Got rejected yesterday. Not URM, 30R and 3.5 cGPA. I'm going to call and see if there's a specific reason why I was rejected

Sorry to hear that. Let us know what they say.

I just called. They said that the admissions office aren't given reasons why the committee decided to reject me so she couldn't say. So I don't know why I was rejected or how to improve if I want to reapply :/ And she also mentioned that they received around 5000 applications this year and there are a good number of good applicants so that may be why I didn't get an II (though I'm surprised I'm not wait listed)

Sorry to hear that. Let us know what they say.

I just called. They said that the admissions office aren't given reasons why the committee decided to reject me so she couldn't say. So I don't know why I was rejected or how to improve if I want to reapply :/ And she also mentioned that they received around 5000 applications this year and there are a good number of good applicants so that may be why I didn't get an II (though I'm surprised I'm not wait listed)

It is hard to say what the committee think. It seems that they give more weight to URMs.

It is hard to say what the committee think. It seems that they give more weight to URMs.
Yes, as an historically black college, part of their tacit mission is to recruit and train URMs. I remember a student on last year's thread saying that they had very few Caucasian classmates; but that they do admit non-URMs.

I was rejected last year with a very low (now improved) MCAT. But the rejection letter specifically stated that I did not "match" their mission statement. I revised my secondary to reflect that I do indeed match their mission this year and haven't yet received a rejection.

For those of you that were rejected, I'm so sorry. I'm sure other schools out there will show you some love. Would you mind posting when you submitted your secondary or received a complete email? Thanks and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.